THE BROWNS BOARD

Why hasn't Gregg Williams Been Called Out for that Prevent BS Defense that cost us the game?

Soju

He started it right after the half.  like wtf?  We have a WHOLE HALF of football to go and this imbecile think we have the game wrapped up.  That's playing scared.  Playing scared and playing not to win.  The good teams don't install prevent right after the half only up two touchdowns.  I can see installing it with a quarter or less to go, but not right after the half.  There's 4 quarters to a game.

Prevent does nothing but PREVENTS you from WINNING.

It was a garbage decision by a garbage D-coordinator.

There was no specific comments on the threads ( 'our D' and 'our D sucks'), but there were some comments here and there about what a terrible decision was going Prevent too early. It is a mistake that bad teams make.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

I think if we had an FS and he didn't do that stuff our Defense would be leaps and bounds better.

no more FS under Gregg.  He plays them too far back from the LOS and they never even factor into the play.  Can you imagine drafting Minkah next year just to see him rot sitting back there with the fans practically.

I'm not the kinda fan that supports having a new coach and new QB every season, but this Williams guy has had mostly average defenses his whole life and guys like him and Vontaze Burfict who have been involved in intentionally hurting players should not be in the game at all.

To his defense there were a lot of key starters out for this game,  2 corners, peppers, Shelton, also Collins.  Garret was not himself either playing with injury.  We don't have the depth yet we need with those key injuries.  Played a more vanilla defense the whole game.  Not an excuse however every team has injuries. 

29 minutes ago, JJmac28 said:

To his defense there were a lot of key starters out for this game,  2 corners, peppers, Shelton, also Collins.  Garret was not himself either playing with injury.  We don't have the depth yet we need with those key injuries.  Played a more vanilla defense the whole game.  Not an excuse however every team has injuries. 

Depth is an ongoing problem. We had no depth in 99 and don't now. 

5 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

And every year in between. Difference is when Dorsey draft some defensive Playmakers this year the guys that they replace will become really good depth something the Browns have never had

Ok, listen. I know what you guys are saying, and I'm not saying you're wrong. It was absolutely maddening to watch us give up 8 yards a play...it was. However, the Packers took five minutes off the clock in the 4th quarter with their touchdown drive, and while we wish it would've ended in a FG, punt, or taken longer, we still forced them to move the ball methodically down the field. The more plays we force them to make, the more opportunities they have to screw up. A dropped pass, deflection, slip up, or maybe even a play made by our defensive guys. Packers had a good game plan in the second half and we were missing some rather big pieces back there. 

That being said, how many times have we been rough on Gregg for blitzing too much? For being too aggressive? For not dialing it down? We got exposed on defense, and it didn't help that our best DB McCourty had a miserable game. We tried to keep the ball in front of us, and we put the ball in our offense's hands to win the game. Our offense was running the ball well, we only needed a few first downs, and it makes a little sense to me to let our offense salt the game away. I mean, we were probably a Njoku drop away from winning that game. What really hurt is we've had basically that EXACT play NOT get reversed against us in games where the replay showed the ball moving to the ground, but the refs basically saying there wasn't enough to overturn it. The Njoku drop LOOKED like it hit the ground, but you couldn't see if his hands were under it. It was called a catch, and often times that doesn't get overturned. We get that catch, and even if we don't get another first down, we punt it back to them probably with just under a minute or so to go the entire distance of the field (assuming we TACKLE on special teams). 

We just didn't make the plays we had to at the end, guys. Again, we forced ZERO turnovers. That's what kills us every week. The bigger problem to me concerning Gregg was that he didn't recognize the qb draw at the end of the game. I was SCREAMING, "QB DRAW! QB DRAW! QB DRAW!" at the television like it would somehow matter, and somehow our defensive players and coordinator had no clue. It was so completely obvious to anyone, AND it's a play that's hurt us in the past. There HAS to be a defensive call that puts emphasis on the qb draw. Maybe there was, perhaps we thought we were ready for it and they just executed better. Who knows? But half the world knew it was coming and we didn't stop it. 

It came down to making plays in the 4th quarter....not the prevent defense. One could argue that the officials didn't help us either, but only losers complain about the refs...which always happens to be us. The pass interference that wasn't called before half essentially sent me into a whirlwind of hatred because that same call is almost ALWAYS made against us. That puts the ball on the 2 yard line, with plenty of time, and us getting it back in the 3rd quarter. People are also angry about Josh Gordon getting mugged again during the infamous last play we ran in overtime. Ironically, Kizer's smart decision NOT to force Josh the ball probably killed us there. If Kizer puts the ball in the air while Josh is getting assaulted, the ref almost HAS to throw the flag. Obviously there's no way to KNOW if that happens, but the DB was completely attached to him and one would THINK that flag comes out. Additionally, what makes THIS equally as painful is that is a call made against US only all too often. It's the way it is when your team literally never wins. 

Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams invent ways to lose. It's nothing new, but I have a difficult time putting the blame on our coaches here. 

9 hours ago, Nero said:

There was no specific comments on the threads ( 'our D' and 'our D sucks'), but there were some comments here and there about what a terrible decision was going Prevent too early. It is a mistake that bad teams make.

I am not sure he was actually employing the "prevent defense".....it just seems that it is standard operating procedure to give a ton of cushion. OK, so they may not go deep over your heads......but they will just march right down the field on 8-10-15 yarders.  The result is the same...they score....and they still don't take long doing it.

2 hours ago, JJmac28 said:

Ogbah.   Yes, the defense was missing a lot.   That still does not explain this style of giving 6-10 yards of cushion.

I just think he has to be covering for a lack of talent at cb and fs. Can't put cover cb's out there when you don't have em...

low scoring game vs being beaten 55 - 10?

4 hours ago, cdl15 said:

And every year in between. Difference is when Dorsey draft some defensive Playmakers this year the guys that they replace will become really good depth something the Browns have never had

Hopefully that's the way it will work. Right now I believe Dorsey is looking at HC candidates. That and a franchise QB. If anyone thinks Hue will be here in February....puffpuffpass

Ogbah, Collins, 0.5 of Garrett, Shelton... I'm surprised the game was competitive.  Our entire starting defense was already our depth. The only first-game non-FA starters out there were Kirksey [3rd round] and... Kindred [4th round].

If you're calling Williams out I'm calling you out for unrealistic expectations.

And Garrett completely disappeared.. Not what you want from a guy whose supposed to be a game changer.. He's been quite the opposite...

I am glad you posted this thread, I was watching this game in disbelief that we were in the prevent right after half time. That is the dumbest Sheet ever. I was watching it with Sisky Fringo (His name on here) and we got in a huge argument over it. He was saying it was the smart play smh. Maybe go to the prevent if you are up 21-7 with 5 min left in the game But not the entire 2nd half. We only rushed 3 guys the 2nd half.smh. 

Greg Williams Blows. I told you he would be no more successful than Horton.

Why prevent? Simple, his D was gassed from blitzing 2 out of 3 downs. This guy is no defensive genius, he turns the volume up to 11 and then hopes crap happens. Aggressive? Yes. A Good DC? Fukck no. He blows.

15 hours ago, Nero said:

Prevent too early. It is a mistake that bad teams make.

It's also exactly what every team does.

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

... the Packers took five minutes off the clock in the 4th quarter with their touchdown drive... we still forced them to move the ball methodically down the field. The more plays we force them to make, the more opportunities they have to screw up.

Bingo... It's what pre-Gordon teams have done to us all year for the entire game. It's GB did in their opening drive of the 2nd half when they messed up the 4th and 1 at our 10-yl and lost 2-yd. And that was after a 3rd and 1 we stuffed for no gain.

8 hours ago, JJmac28 said:

No need to apologize for a good, rational post. There's a difference between making excuses and objective analysis.

Our deepest area on the entire team going into this season was the DL. We've suffered steady DL losses through the entire year and had two significant contributors Inactive this week.

The term depth is shorthand for "Depth of Talent". Once upon a time we had it in the DL room... not so much now.

8 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

One contributing factor... changing defensive schemes every two years.

2 hours ago, nickers said:

And Garrett completely disappeared.. Not what you want from a guy whose supposed to be a game changer.. He's been quite the opposite...

So he's a "game same-er"?

The as yet unaddressed corollary is that Hue got very conservative on Offense in the 2nd half.

Hell even our 3rd-QTR TD drive... the drive that started when GB turned the ball over on downs when our lame-a$$, no count D stopped them from gaining a yard on 3rd and 4th down midway thru the 3rd... was primarily on the ground.

Subsequent drives were 6 and out and 5 and out.

That and Hue undoubtedly told Gregg to go Prevent... it's what HCs do.

Phucking Ghoulified geniuses that think it was Greg that decided to go "prevent".

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It's also exactly what every team does.

Bingo... It's what pre-Gordon teams have done to us all year for the entire game. It's GB did in their opening drive of the 2nd half when they messed up the 4th and 1 at our 10-yl and lost 2-yd. And that was after a 3rd and 1 we stuffed for no gain.

No need to apologize for a good, rational post. There's a difference between making excuses and objective analysis.

Our deepest area on the entire team going into this season was the DL. We've suffered steady DL losses through the entire year and had two significant contributors Inactive this week.

The term depth is shorthand for "Depth of Talent". Once upon a time we had it in the DL room... not so much now.

One contributing factor... changing defensive schemes every two years.

So he's a "game same-er"?

More like a "diaper changer"

Archived