Jump to content
THE BROWNS BOARD

Dont let the Dorsey-Alex Smith connection/noise fool you.....


Tacosman
 Share

Recommended Posts

that's not where we are going. Even if by chance we do go there, we are still going to take a qb #1....although that's why I think it is unlikely to happen. Does smith really want to go to a situation like he is in now? We need to start Darnold/Rosen on day1...not let him sit for a year behind some vet.

Part of the reason Dorsey was brought in was to draft the qb, something Brown didn't do.  So there is no way Dorsey passes on that chance at 1.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just keep talkin about Darnold Rosen ! I think rosen will have a far worse year as a rookie than Goff did, and Goff is far better a pick.

and I didn't like Goff, despite his physical abilities etc. Dorsey was also brought in to draft football..players who love the game.

Intangibles, that sashi didn't seem to consider when on his own. And Dorsey knows better than to draft the mistakes that have

been drafted in years past. That is what the Browns must have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Just keep talkin about Darnold Rosen ! I think rosen will have a far worse year as a rookie than Goff did, and Goff is far better a pick.

and I didn't like Goff, despite his physical abilities etc. Dorsey was also brought in to draft football..players who love the game.

Intangibles, that sashi didn't seem to consider when on his own. And Dorsey knows better than to draft the mistakes that have

been drafted in years past. That is what the Browns must have.

Instead of going to the main point of the thread, you focused on the prospects that Taco referred to, when what he is suggesting doesn't really have anything to do with the prospects. 

1 hour ago, Tacosman said:

that's not where we are going. Even if by chance we do go there, we are still going to take a qb #1....although that's why I think it is unlikely to happen. Does smith really want to go to a situation like he is in now? We need to start Darnold/Rosen on day1...not let him sit for a year behind some vet.

Part of the reason Dorsey was brought in was to draft the qb, something Brown didn't do.  So there is no way Dorsey passes on that chance at 1.....

That's one of the main reaons why I don't believe we are landing Alex Smith next year. Even though I wouldn't start the rookie QB until he's ready, let's say you sit him for one year. A veteran QB is going to go to the Browns just to play one year? We are closer to attract a solid veteran backup than a veteran starter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead of going to the main point of the thread, you focused on the prospects that Taco referred to, when what he is suggesting doesn't really have anything to do with the prospects.  Nero

**********************************************

yet, he brought up the two top prospects, again. go figure. If we did bring in Alex Smith - it would be to start a year,

and give Josh Allen time to learn the NFL game, which is tougher to do with the Browns, since the wr's aren't all that, even

with Gordon actually being back and on the field. A veteran qb knows better how to compensate for the lack of playmaker

wr's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Instead of going to the main point of the thread, you focused on the prospects that Taco referred to, when what he is suggesting doesn't really have anything to do with the prospects.  Nero

**********************************************

yet, he brought up the two top prospects, again. go figure. If we did bring in Alex Smith - it would be to start a year,

and give Josh Allen time to learn the NFL game, which is tougher to do with the Browns, since the wr's aren't all that, even

with Gordon actually being back and on the field. A veteran qb knows better how to compensate for the lack of playmaker

wr's.

OK. So do you think is viable to attract Alex Smith into that scenario? - Hey, Alex! Come here, you will play one year at most!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

why not? Alex Smith was a #1 overall pick in the draft - in 2005. This is nearly 2018.  And for whatever reason,

I hear he may not be with kc again next year. I don't know if he is the best veteran option or not.

But maybe he would love to play the squealers twice a year. They apparently tried to take out his knees like they did

with Carson Palmer years ago. It's what the squealer pukes do. cheapshot. Pollyeatsumpupu was a dirty player before the NFL,

and is retired, so MItchell, the safety, went after THE BACK of Smith's knees. More than likely, I suppose, they will start Kizer and let the new guy beat him out on the field.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21037699/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-alex-smith-upset-late-hit-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-mitchell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bring in Smith to teach Allen. He'll be elated to be out starter until age 40 while the next Browns chump sits on the bench where he belongs. Why waste a draft choice when we already have Kizer who can accomplish the same thing? Get that RB and FS!:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Bring in Smith to teach Allen. He'll be elated to be out starter until age 40 while the next Browns chump sits on the bench where he belongs. Why waste a draft choice when we already have Kizer who can accomplish the same thing? Get that RB and FS!:lol:

Allen?  Are you going butt buddy with Cal on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But Alex isn't getting younger, and I could see him retiring around 37 years old. That would give him 3 more years, and that might be perfect for us. Also remember, just because a QB starts the year, it doesn't mean he finishes the season. Injuries happen all the time, so maybe trading for Alex and drafting a QB early is smart. If Alex unfortunately gets hurt, three can either play Kizer or the new rookie...depending on who is practicing better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

But Alex isn't getting younger, and I could see him retiring around 37 years old. That would give him 3 more years, and that might be perfect for us. Also remember, just because a QB starts the year, it doesn't mean he finishes the season. Injuries happen all the time, so maybe trading for Alex and drafting a QB early is smart. If Alex unfortunately gets hurt, three can either play Kizer or the new rookie...depending on who is practicing better. 

no, not perfect for us. You don't draft a qb #1 and have him sit 3 years.  that's not reality.  Aaron Rodgers was a very unique situation. For starters, he was not #1 but a late first rounder.  Second, alex smith is not bret favre. 

if we do bring in a vet qb, the ABSOLUTE MOST Darnold or rosen will sit behind him is 1 year. And even then that would be really pushing it.

more than likely rosen or darnold is starting game 1 with kizer the backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rodgers wasn't "sat"... he was held back. Farve played games with the Packer FO.

Grab Smith... restructure him, if you can, adding a 2nd year with a 3rd year mutual option. Then you don't have to rush your young QB... and you don't risk holding him back.

 

Just hit me that Dorsey could also have eyes for Chase Daniel. He's currently in NOLA backing up Brees, but is in the last year of his contract.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Rodgers wasn't "sat"... he was held back. Farve played games with the Packer FO.

Grab Smith... restructure him, if you can, adding a 2nd year with a 3rd year mutual option. Then you don't have to rush your young QB... and you don't risk holding him back.

 

Just hit me that Dorsey could also have eyes for Chase Daniel. He's currently in NOLA backing up Brees, but is in the last year of his contract.

 

i dont know that smith is going to be interested in signing a contract where it would be easy for us from a guaranteed money standpoint to get out of it/him in a year.  We'll see what the market is for him though.

I want to see what darnold or rosen has sooner rather than later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Tacosman said:

 

if we do bring in a vet qb, the ABSOLUTE MOST Darnold or rosen will sit behind him is 1 year. And even then that would be really pushing it.

more than likely rosen or darnold is starting game 1 with kizer the backup

Nobody can/should make this assessment at this point. What if we do sign Smith and he takes us to the playoffs?  Are you really going to call for the rookie right away?

We should just be focused on getting a guy that can win games, and some good prospects behind him...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Rodgers wasn't "sat"... he was held back. Farve played games with the Packer FO.

Grab Smith... restructure him, if you can, adding a 2nd year with a 3rd year mutual option. Then you don't have to rush your young QB... and you don't risk holding him back.

 

Just hit me that Dorsey could also have eyes for Chase Daniel. He's currently in NOLA backing up Brees, but is in the last year of his contract.

 

Exactly. And I see nothing wrong with sitting a guy 2 or even 3 years if the veteran is performing well. After all, the entire point is to get competent play out of the position, not to play the first pick. 

And I was just thinking about Chase Daniel the other day and how he might be someone we'd look at. Now, I'd much rather have Case Keenum, especially if the stars align and Josh Gordon finds his way back next year, but Chase is exactly the type of veteran player we'll be looking for in 2018. 

There are two lines of thinking when it comes to young qb's. The most recent is the "play right away" model, and it makes sense. In fact, I struggle to think of many situations where a team drafts a QB high and lets him learn for a season or two. The other model is to have a veteran qb start for a while and let the young buck learn and acclimate to the rigors of the NFL season. 

What we need is to stabilize the qb position and not LOSE games because it. While I admit it'd be frustrating to draft a shiny new toy at 1 and not see him play for a year or so, the main objective is to win. Alex Smith would most certainly help our team do that, and the only concern I'd have with starting a guy his age is it takes away learning opportunities from the rookie. Probably the best way to get better is to play, so we COULD be doing our first overall pick a disservice by sitting him. Or, maybe it's the best thing for him? Nobody knows, and it's a difficult quandary to figure out. I mean, take the Chiefs for example. They not only drafted Pat Mahomes at like 10 overall, they traded up to get him (I could be mistaken, too lazy to look). Anyway, they draft a QB very early and guess what? He didn't start. Now he wasn't #1, but he was still very early in the first round. 

So people want to tell me that the Chiefs really want to start a QB next year with zero regular season experience (Mahomes) instead of a 34 year old QB who currently has 25 touchdowns and 5 (yes, FIVE) interceptions? It sounds like a very real possibility, but it doesn't make any sense to me. At any rate, if the Chiefs want to take unnecessary risks at the most important position in sports, I surely want to be the beneficiary. I want you to think about 5 interceptions. About 74% completion percentage. About hitting people in stride and forcing defenses to respect every part of the field. Last night Alex Smith hit Tyreek Hill for a long touchdown. Hill got behind the defense by 2 steps and Smith didn't just complete the pass, he put the ball RIGHT in the basket so Hill didn't even have to slow down one bit. Now, remember our game against the Chargers? Remember Kizer missing Josh a few times after he got behind the defense? Smith doesn't miss those very often. 

I know some people aren't as enamored with Smith as I am, but I don't care. With a few additions, and the miracle of Josh's return, Alex Smith puts us squarely in playoff contention (playoffs? PLAYOFFS?!). That's right...playoff contention. I know we want to build a contender that will last for years, and it's difficult to do that starting a 34 year old QB, but to me this is an easy move to make. Look back at our miserable season and look at the games we could've won if we just had a few more scoring drives. Heck, look at our first game against the Steelers. 

Trade or sign Alex Smith. Pay him whatever it takes. Make us respectable almost instantly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Which makes me think Jimmah has given him the money approval to go get a proven QB in FA.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking too. I think we'll try to make a giant push for Kirk Cousins, if he ever gets free from Washington, or we'll try for Alex Smith. Whatever the plan is, it most certainly revolves around bringing in a veteran. I'd bet on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking too. I think we'll try to make a giant push for Kirk Cousins, if he ever gets free from Washington, or we'll try for Alex Smith. Whatever the plan is, it most certainly revolves around bringing in a veteran. I'd bet on it. 

Better pray for it too. I want Rosen because he's so proready, but  I want him to be able to play for a couple of years (or more) behind a QB that can instantly drop into our offense and add that dimension that wins immediately while developing a player who will be Rogerslike when he finally comes off the bench. Watching Smith again win in the clutch game last night makes me think he is ideal for the Browns because he has several good years left and he's a good player for Rosen to understudy. Make it happen Dorsey!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Better pray for it too. I want Rosen because he's so proready, but  I want him to be able to play for a couple of years (or more) behind a QB that can instantly drop into our offense and add that dimension that wins immediately while developing a player who will be Rogerslike when he finally comes off the bench. Watching Smith again win in the clutch game last night makes me think he is ideal for the Browns because he has several good years left and he's a good player for Rosen to understudy. Make it happen Dorsey!

Trust me I'm praying. Lol. When he threw that dime to Hill I just threw my hands up and screamed, "THAT! That's what I want!". Alex is also adept at short passing and hitting them perfectly so they can run after the catch. Perfect for someone like Duke Johnson, right? And we see how effectively he throws to tight ends too. He could turn Njoku into a star, and probably Devalve too. Believe it or not, our offense is somewhat set up for Alex Smith (in my twisted mind). Just need more WR depth and a new RB. Could Saquon Barkley be our version of Tyreek Hill or Kareem Hunt? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random thoughts on recent comments:

  • Even with SF likely out of the picture, I can't see Cousins being interested in us.
  • The beauty of the Smith trade theory is that he has no choice.
  • While I liked AJ coming out of BAMA and still beleive he has a chance to be a good, NFL QB.... if Dorsey wants to give Hue every opportunity to fail, then he brings in "Hue's guy", AJ. Kid may turn out to be good, but Hue's future would hinge on whether or not that is the case.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

 

 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Exactly. And I see nothing wrong with sitting a guy 2 or even 3 years if the veteran is performing well. After all, the entire point is to get competent play out of the position, not to play the first pick. 

 

Its like you guys understand zero about how the nfl works these days.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES does #1 overall qb pick ever sit '2 or even 3 years'.  Look at the most recent #1 overall qb picks:

Russell- started at the end of his rookier year(but this only took so long because he missed all of camp)

Stafford-opening day starter

Bradford-  opening day starter

Newton- opening day starter

Luck- opening day starter

Winston- opening day starter

Goff- started middle of the season(and the rams got tons of flack for waiting that long)

So for most, opening day starter.  Of the two who werent, both started by the end of their first year.

There is NO WAY, based on common sense or recent nfl history, that rosen or darnold sit around on the bench for '2 or 3 years'.  They will likely start opening day, and if thats not the case they will be in their starting at some point during the regular season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Russell- started at the end of his rookier year(but this only took so long because he missed all of camp)

If you are talking about Russell Wilson, he was the #75 overall. a mid 3rd round. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Nero said:

If you are talking about Russell Wilson, he was the #75 overall. a mid 3rd round. 

Pretty sure he's referring to Jamarcus Russell.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...