THE BROWNS BOARD

Fake news

Westside Steve

Just an example of the Insidious nature of fake news. We were out to dinner last night and there is a table of 8 seated Within earshot. Just regular people the patriarch a little bit loud and overweight but who am I to bicker with that?

Anyway somebody started talking about coffee and somebody else mentioned the word Starbucks and pop went into a rant about how he would never drink Starbucks coffee again because they had done something to insult the United States Marine Corps and refuse them service because they didn't support the war in wherever the hell the war is. That was one of those stories that I had seen people outraged about and reposting on Facebook. I took a minute to look it up and just as I thought oh, it was fake. Even though it was BS this guy and his whole family now have a rag on for Starbucks. It's not this particular story that bothered me is the fact that there are dozens or hundreds of these kind of stories all over the place that people listen to and believe. From social media all the way up to the network news and from every remote corner of the political Spectrum.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Just an example of the Insidious nature of fake news. We were out to dinner last night and there is a table of 8 seated Within earshot. Just regular people the patriarch a little bit loud and overweight but who am I to bicker with that?

Anyway somebody started talking about coffee and somebody else mentioned the word Starbucks and pop went into a rant about how he would never drink Starbucks coffee again because they had done something to insult the United States Marine Corps and refuse them service because they didn't support the war in wherever the hell the war is. That was one of those stories that I had seen people outraged about and reposting on Facebook. I took a minute to look it up and just as I thought oh, it was fake. Even though it was BS this guy and his whole family now have a rag on for Starbucks. It's not this particular story that bothered me is the fact that there are dozens or hundreds of these kind of stories all over the place that people listen to and believe. From social media all the way up to the network news and from every remote corner of the political Spectrum.

WSS

On this we agree.  What's worse is people use this nonsense to drive their every decision.  Prior to the internet the only fake news people could use to shape their beliefs were religious texts.

Sorry couldn't resist.

50 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

On this we agree.  What's worse is people use this nonsense to drive their every decision.  Prior to the internet the only fake news people could use to shape their beliefs were religious texts.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Unfortunately the posters across this board don't agree on what is fake news

Archived