THE BROWNS BOARD

Making a case for Greg Roman for O.C.

Louisville Slugger

Romans offense has worked wonders for some less than remarkable quarterbacks. He turned alex Smith's career around, made kapernick a ton of money, and took a nobody in tyrod Taylor and turned him into a legit starting quarterback. He also has experience as a tight end coach and with Njoku and Devalve that could be a promising match.

I believe his read based offense could turn Kizer into a decent quarterback but more importantly I think he could make Lamar Jackson an all star. If we want to fix the quarterback situation this seems like the easiest way to do it. If all else fails Tyrod, Smith, and even Kapernick (barf) could potentially be available this offseason.

Roman is a WCO guy... as supposedly Hue is... so three's that.

Roman does, however, seem to have a thing for Harbaughs... plus I'm not sure being Hue's "OC" is a legit promotion over his current "Senior Offensive Asst." job with the Ravens.

I think the question is would he want the job. If we decide Lamar Jackson is our pick and we say were going to make hard pushes for premium free agents like Leveon Bell or Sammy Watkins would that be enough to entice him? 

There really isn't any O.C. candidates out there that I like. I mean Hue already fired deflipo... so dumb

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

There really isn't any O.C. candidates out there that I like. 

When Kizer redshirted his 1st season at ND the QBC at ND was Matt LaFleur..Now the OC at LA Rams, he's 38. If McVie takes over play calling? I'd take a look at his pupil McVie mentored since Skins..LaFleur's hometown is Mount Pleasant, Michigan

11 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I think the question is would he want the job. If we decide Lamar Jackson is our pick and we say were going to make hard pushes for premium free agents like Leveon Bell or Sammy Watkins would that be enough to entice him?

Not a matter of enticing... matter of rules NFL has in place when it comes to poaching coaches off other teams.

This seems to be a reasonable summary:

I like this thread and would like it better if it also discussed potential DEFENSIVE coordinators. I'm on record for wanting to keep our coaching staff (although I grow tired of our special teams coach and his failure). However, our defense has been a consistent problem this season, and last week against Green Bay we didn't make the necessary adjustments to stop them from working the ball down the field with little resistance. Perhaps one season isn't fair to really judge someone, but it's been bad folks. We don't force turnovers, we don't stop teams in the red zone, and we don't get to the qb despite heavy blitzing. Something is wrong. Most importantly, we completely fail at stopping the pass, and since the NFL is a passing league, that's a GIANT ISSUE. 

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Roman is a WCO guy... as supposedly Hue is... so three's that.

Roman does, however, seem to have a thing for Harbaughs... plus I'm not sure being Hue's "OC" is a legit promotion over his current "Senior Offensive Asst." job with the Ravens.

Does this look like a wco so far this year?

WSS

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I like this thread and would like it better if it also discussed potential DEFENSIVE coordinators. I'm on record for wanting to keep our coaching staff (although I grow tired of our special teams coach and his failure). However, our defense has been a consistent problem this season, and last week against Green Bay we didn't make the necessary adjustments to stop them from working the ball down the field with little resistance. Perhaps one season isn't fair to really judge someone, but it's been bad folks. We don't force turnovers, we don't stop teams in the red zone, and we don't get to the qb despite heavy blitzing. Something is wrong. Most importantly, we completely fail at stopping the pass, and since the NFL is a passing league, that's a GIANT ISSUE. 

I still look at it as surely Williams must be running the defense that he has to, the way he has to, because he doesn't have the defensive backs, overall, that he needs. Offenses, when they get their running game pounded into the turf for no gain...simply start throwing the ball with ease. And having the safety make such an agonizing mistake so late in the game, if not the last play, when McCourty let the wr go past him, and the safety came up in run support or whatever, the wr was laughing and catching a td in the endzone. I think it was Kai Nacua - the same one who headbutted a receiver who failed to make a 3rd conversion - no catch - right in front of the referee. That is worse than stupid.  Williams isn't teaching that.

That is the only reasonable ? explanation I can come up with for the disgusting move to put the safeties so far back, theyare out of the play unless it goes for a near TD. Could be it's just me, but I can't imagine that placement of the safeties happening without some kind of reason, whatever the hell it is.... so, trying to cover for the lack of lb speed/lack of shutdown cb on one side...and try to keep the scores from adding up to disaster.

More and more, I think I would love to pick Minkah, cb/s with the first overall pick, because without sitting down and getting to know rosen, i'm not sure he's the guy.

In fact, Minkah and Ridley, and get Thorson in the second round, hopefully, or trade back up into the first round... I don't know, the Browns just need the real deal frachise qb. Figure out who he IS, then get him and maybe he doesn't have to be a #1 overall pick.

17 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I believe his read based offense could turn Kizer into a decent quarterback but more importantly I think he could make Lamar Jackson an all star. .

Read....option?         2nd bold - sounds good.  Until his tiny butt gets hit.                          

Just now, Louisville Slugger said:

As a Louisville fan I honestly don't think his size will hold him back. He has a thin frame but he's tough as nails. Dude just leaves it all out there. I'm not 100% he translates to the nfl, but I would hate to miss on him if he does

In other words, you're a fan - can't justify taking him, but want to keep seeing him play.      Shmuck it, right?

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

No what I am saying he has red flags just like all of the other QBs in this class, but he has the biggest boom bust ratio. Like I said Greg Romans offense made Kapernick a household name, imagine what he could do with Lamar.

Good, that's very good.  Exactly what the Browns need.  

We need Roman to come in after we draft Jackson, that way the NFL, which eventually caught up to Kaep and that offense by late 2013, can use the blueprints established back then to show just how stupid of an idea with little longevity that would be.  

10 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Did they catch up to that offense? Tyrod Taylor disagrees 

Game manager Tyrod Taylor?  The same QB that has the Bills averaging just over 15ppg in the second half of the season...? Same QB that has beaten...one? I think one team with a .500 or above record?  

To be clear - THAT is what you want for your #1 overall pick and THAT is the shining example you're using?

When Roman ran the offense the bills were 12th and 10th in scoring offense. This year they are 23rd.

In San Francisco 2011-2013 they were 11th in points but had an off year on 2014. 

So in 5 of his 6 years as an offensive coordinator his team has been 12th or better in points.

Tyrod is a guy that's going to give you about 3000 yards a season and throw about 6 ints. He may not be a too 10 quarterback but he is a solid starter. Game manager seems like a pretty accurate label

On 12/17/2017 at 3:51 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

No what I am saying he has red flags just like all of the other QBs in this class, but he has the biggest boom bust ratio. Like I said Greg Romans offense made Kapernick a household name, imagine what he could do with Lamar.

The problem is guys like RGIII and Kaepernick can have early success because of their athletic tools, but when the NFL catches up to that, and they do, you have to be able to read defenses and work through progressions in the pocket. I'm hesitant to take a QB who fits the "burn brightly/burn out quickly" type.

Which is where I'm going with this.  Roman is a solid O.C. and I'm not knocking his coaching prowess at all.  

However even the best of coaches can only overcome so many player limitations, most especially at your most important position - QB.         RG3, Kaep, Tyrod and soon to be Jackson - all have limitations as passers.     And the schemes used to help overcome their limitations as passers by using their athletic gifts puts them (your most critical position) at serious risk. All the while sacrificing the ability to work within the structure of a modern passing offense.

It's just a no-win situation either way you slice it.  

On 12/19/2017 at 8:07 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

Speaking of Lamar Jackson, has anyone watched enough film on him to report to the scouting thread? It seems that the talking heads are torn on him. I have seen him live in two games. It appeared as if he went through some progressions but legging it seems to be his best attribute.

Aside from a small handfull of Louisville games over the past couple years - can't say I have.  I've seen signs of his progression as a passer but his ability was so raw and undeveloped it would have been nearly impossible not to improve. 

Im sure someone will be dumb enough to think he was on Bridgewaters level by the time he left the Cardinals. 

20 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Im sure someone will be dumb enough to think he was on Bridgewaters level by the time he left the Cardinals. 

Not likely as a passer, but as an overall QB prospect? I'm already there. Much of my take is based on my concerns about Teddy's "frame" then and now. I know many, including you IIRC, have similar concerns about Jackson, but I don't. While Lamar is not "thick", neither is he slight to my eye.

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not likely as a passer, but as an overall QB prospect? I'm already there. Much of my take is based on my concerns about Teddy's "frame" then and now. I know many, including you IIRC, have similar concerns about Jackson, but I don't. While Lamar is not "thick", neither is he slight to my eye.

He's a... in word, "better built" athlete than Teddy, I give him that.      I do have concerns about Lamar, because while Brady has introduced muscle pliability to NFL QB's - that only goes so far when exposed to routine shots.    So if Lamar isn't as evolved as Teddy being a passer, he'll have to compensate it in other areas for at minimum the time being.    Thus exposing him to those routine shots not only on designed runs, but the ones he'll take in the pocket regardless.   

I can't begin to endorse him as a 1st round pick.   By the time it's said and done, I doubt you will as well.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

He's a... in word, "better built" athlete than Teddy, I give him that.      I do have concerns about Lamar, because while Brady has introduced muscle pliability to NFL QB's - that only goes so far when exposed to routine shots.    So if Lamar isn't as evolved as Teddy being a passer, he'll have to compensate it in other areas for at minimum the time being.    Thus exposing him to those routine shots not only on designed runs, but the ones he'll take in the pocket regardless.   

I can't begin to endorse him as a 1st round pick.   By the time it's said and done, I doubt you will as well.  

Archived