THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Garoppolo Isn't A Brown

ChicopeeJohn

Patriots wanted to 'do right' by Jimmy Garoppolo, so they didn't trade him to Browns

Frank Schwab  Shutdown Corner•December 15, 2017

The part of the New England Patriots’ trade of Jimmy Garoppolo to the San Francisco 49ers that never made sense is the return. It seemed the Patriots could have gotten more. And it seemed weird the Cleveland Browns didn’t offer more to land him.

The 49ers acquired Garoppolo for a second-round pick. If you make Garoppolo eligible for the 2018 draft, he would be picked long before the second round started. And at the same time, the Browns were reportedly trying to trade a second- and third-round pick for AJ McCarron, who most people probably wouldn’t choose over Garoppolo. It doesn’t add up.

An interview from ESPN’s Adam Schefter offered one theory: The Patriots apparently didn’t want to send him to Cleveland, where quarterbacks’ careers die. Schefter said once the Patriots figured out a couple days before the deadline they had to trade Garoppolo (I’m not sure why it took that long; the writing was on the wall for a long time), they reached out to the 49ers even though the Browns had tried “over and over” in the spring to get Garoppolo and tried again in the fall but got nowhere.

“In this particular case, New England came to the realization before it made any calls, ‘Ok, unfortunately for us, as much as we want to keep Jimmy Garoppolo, we can’t,’ ” Schefter said on the “Murph & Mac” show on KNBR (h/t to 49ers Web Zone). “‘We have to trade him, and we’ve got to trade him here in the next two days. Where do we want to trade him? I like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan. I think they’re going to do right by Jimmy G. Let’s call them.”

Schefter said the Patriots called the 49ers to pitch the trade and it took five minutes to get it done, which makes sense because the 49ers got a steal. San Francisco had to be shocked it fell in its lap like that. Schefter said he thinks the Patriots reached out to the 49ers because of Bill Belichick’s respect for Garoppolo, and his respect for 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan and their GM John Lynch.

And if that’s all true, the cold-hearted, bottom-line-only Patriots took less from the 49ers (if the Browns were going to trade a second and third for McCarron, you have to imagine they’d have done the same or more for Garoppolo), just to save Garoppolo from having to go to the Browns. Ouch.

There’s some speculation involved from Schefter so this shouldn’t be taken as absolute fact, but Schefter is plugged in and if that’s all true, the Patriots getting a relatively short return on Garoppolo then makes sense. Also, if it’s true, can you imagine the reaction in the Browns’ front office when news of the trade broke?

The Browns are in a good spot to get their quarterback. They’re going to get the first pick of next year’s draft with some intriguing prospects in the class. They fired old GM Sashi Brown and hired John Dorsey, who should be able to turn the picks Brown stockpiled into good players (now that we hear this Garoppolo story from Schefter, did the circumstances of the Garoppolo non-trade lead to owner Jimmy Haslam firing Brown?). The Browns didn’t land Garoppolo, but it could end up being fine. Maybe, if Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold or whoever the Browns choose is a superstar, maybe Cleveland is even better off for not landing Garoppolo.

But the whole story is a glimpse into how low Cleveland has sunk.

Have a look at the Jimmy Grabsapillow thread, in the latest pages is posted this same interview ;)

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just FYI.....Garropolo is apparently 3-0 as the starting QB for the 49ers.

Whatever that is worth.

Can he really have made that much difference?

This is why I call Browns fans the dumbest bastards on earth. Football is all about the QB.

Did Jimmy make the difference? No dude, the D jsut magically started getting better when he arrived, the O just happend to get efficient, the team jsut coincidentally became energized.

FUKCK man, we don't need a stinking QB. Let's keep trading down, let's keep wasting picks on lardass O linemen, Zumba instructors, and sissye, 2nd tier wide recievers. Seriously man, forget the 9er success, forget Ben, Wenz, Goff, Julio Jones, AJ Gree, Bosa, Elliot.................. we don't need players......... we don't need stars...............he need to trade down and accumulate ASSETS.

Dumbest fukcing fans, and franchise ever. Seriously, the NFL has no business being in Cleveland.

3 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

This is why I call Browns fans the dumbest bastards on earth. Football is all about the QB.

Browns fan call you the dumbest bastard in the world.....so I guess since you are one person and Browns fans are legion....and since majority rules....you win the title.

Did Jimmy make the difference? No dude, the D jsut magically started getting better when he arrived, the O just happend to get efficient, the team jsut coincidentally became energized.

FUKCK man, we don't need a stinking QB. Let's keep trading down, let's keep wasting picks on lardass O linemen, Zumba instructors, and sissye, 2nd tier wide recievers. Seriously man, forget the 9er success, forget Ben, Wenz, Goff, Julio Jones, AJ Gree, Bosa, Elliot.................. we don't need players......... we don't need stars...............he need to trade down and accumulate ASSETS.

Dumbest fukcing fans, and franchise ever. Seriously, the NFL has no business being in Cleveland.

Except...of course, being the world's dumbest bastard....you ignore the ream and reams and piles and piles of posts on here by every single poster complaining about why the Browns didn't get all the guys you (and I) think they should have gotten. And the complaints about their QB selections and every other move they make.

It is NOT the fans, clearly, world's biggest dumbass......it is the Browns FO who made all these choices and who we all complain about. I mean...can you not see or hear what all is being said on here by all of us on this subject.  Good thing your name is Tommy...since you act deaf, dumb and blind at times. 

1 minute ago, LondonBrown said:

He didnt want to come here so the Patriots did right by him and sent him to SF instead. We wanted him and had better draft capital, blame Haslam for the perception of this franchise..

I don't think that had a cabbage fart to do with it.   He sent JG out of the AFC for a bit less in compensation because he didn't want JG to come back against him in the AFC.  Pure, plain and simple.  Anything else is just smokescreen. 

Like I said, I would like to see him go to Buffalo as a FA....who are now the biggest threat to NE in that division  (and who need a quality QB to put them over the edge).   Or, perhaps he could come here.....but I think his desire is not so much "I don't want to go to Cleveland" but  "I want to go where I can win....and make lots of money)

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Didnt u trash garrappolo? Is this "yet another" ghoolie walk back?

Think about this simply-based on what the Patriots organization has done with players over the past decade, what makes you possibly think they would have not traded him to Cleveland for the most value? I don't buy it for a second. I believe simply the Browns, right or (probably) wrong were in on McCarron, feigned on JG, and the Patriots took what they knew they could get. Stupid? Probably, but don't overthink things. 

14 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Drop Cousins in here and you'd see a similar result.

Not sure with Hue Jackson's Offense.

Jimmy has high football iq and a quick release. He's always been underrated, and Pettine liked him and Carr over johnny. But the homeless guy, Jimmy, and Farmer knew better obviously.

3 hours ago, hx214 said:

I'm calling BS. Bill B would send his mom to the Browns for the right offer. He could care less.

Thanks, man. 

Belichick has always been famous for releasing and trading important players from NE, just when you'd expect him to keep them. He's a cold man who runs the business showing little or no affection to his players, which allows him to pull the trigger off if needed. 

That's why I don't buy the 'they traded Garoppolo to SF make him good' Sheet. They traded him there because they were running out of time to get something in exchange for Garoppolo, as he is going to be FA in 2019 and they couldn't afford both Brady's and Garoppolo's new contract. And because there was no time, they didn't call Cleveland, which already offered a 2nd round for him in April, and had drafted Kizer because the Pats didn't accept the deal. And why didn't they call the Browns? Well, if you force a team that offered you a 2nd round, to use that round pick (I know it was not exactly the same pick, but helps to understand my point) in a rookie QB -Kizer-, if you come 6 months later, in midseason, asking for a deal, they will surely offer you less. EVERYONE would offer you less than before.

Therefore, instead of getting in long negotiations with the Browns, they opted to directly call the 49ers instead, so they could get the deal done really fast. 

Only way I can give credence to the reports of Bill liking Jimmy too much to deal him to us is if Bill did it to curry favor for a possible FA signing down the road. Kind of a Kenny Lofton thing...

I think it's more likely we got a call...

• All the reports were that we made a heavy run at Jimmy G in the off-season. Right up to the draft anyway IIRC...
  • All the reports are that Bill was convinced the Pats would be able to sign Jimmy to a reasonable extension prior to the trade deadline... it never happened.
  • My guess... We got a call just prior to the trade deadline. We lowered our offer, if we even made one. SF made a better offer.

After all... Bill dealt us Collins. Jamie might not have been Bill's favorite son, but then neither would be a QB not willing to give him a home town discount.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  • My guess... We got a call just prior to the trade deadline. We lowered our offer, if we even made one. SF made a better offer.

I don't think we even got a chance in the trade deadline. The Patriots simply called SF first. The reason the deal had to be made fast was that till the last second BB wanted to extend Jimmy G's contract, and our FO had shown great skills when negotiating trades, something that requires more time than just "5 min  last second calls". That's also why the AJ trade looked more like a Hue/Haslam move than a FO move.

The following was posted by Unsympathetic in Nov 8 in the 'Jimmy Grabsapillow traded to...' thread: 

All worth reading and digesting

BB is apparently tired of dealing with Sashi.. because BB can no longer fleece Berea for whatever he proposes.

"The front office tries to win every deal" --- as opposed to the Jags, I presume?

19 minutes ago, Nero said:

I don't think we even got a chance in the trade deadline.

Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

• **ring ring***
  • Sashi: Hello
  • Bill: Hey Sashi, Bill here. We're moving Jimmy G today. Is your last offer still good?
  • Sashi: No.
  • Bill: OK, thanks.
  • **click**

Hardly takes any time at all.

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

10 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

He didnt want to come here so the Patriots did right by him and sent him to SF instead. We wanted him and had better draft capital, blame Haslam for the perception of this franchise..

DING DING DING.....HE WINS AGAIN

9 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Didnt u trash garrappolo? Is this "yet another" ghoolie walk back?

YOu need to get your balls out of the vacuum cleaner. THis conversation is not about how good or not JG is, it is about how nobody in their right mind wants to play in Cleveland. Even a reotard like Garrett doens't want to play here.

Epic Browns failure. Epic assinine explanations why we didn't fail.

0 - 14  carry on with the rebuild.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

• **ring ring***
  • Sashi: Hello
  • Bill: Hey Sashi, Bill here. We're moving Jimmy G today. Is your last offer still good?
  • Sashi: No.
  • Bill: OK, thanks.
  • **click**

Hardly takes any time at all.

And that was appropropriate.  Why should he have offered the same in the middle of the season that he offered before the season...especially for a guy that was going to be a FA.  How many games would have have played?  Half a dozen at most.

8 hours ago, Nero said:

It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Epic Browns failure. Epic assinine explanations why we didn't fail.

0 - 14  carry on with the rebuild.

Epic Ignorance on what Browns fans do or do not know.

Everyone here has the exact same understanding about how and why  this team is is sucky as you do. You just think you know more or know better...and you don't.  You actually prove that you know far less.

23 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

The Browns didn't offer the #12 pick because no one in the FO....and literally no one here thought that JG was worth the #12 pick.  We still don't know that....despite the fact that he has gone to SF and done well.

And also because....no matter HOW good JG is or may become.....and even if you (Browns FO) thought he was that good  he would not be worth the #12 pick unless he agreed to a long term extension.   They would never agree to give up that high of a pick for a one year rental.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

... and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.

Brian Hoyer...

SF cut Hoyer after the deal and NE signed him to a 3-year deal after he cleared waivers. They wanted him, but not his pseudo-starter contract he signed with SF.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them,

You can't trade a 1st-round pick for a player that is months away from FA. To do so would definitely be "football malpractice".

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The Browns didn't offer the #12 pick because no one in the FO....and literally no one here thought that JG was worth the #12 pick.  We still don't know that....despite the fact that he has gone to SF and done well.

And also because....no matter HOW good JG is or may become.....and even if you (Browns FO) thought he was that good  he would not be worth the #12 pick unless he agreed to a long term extension.   They would never agree to give up that high of a pick for a one year rental.

I would've offered the WORLD for Garoppolo.  I don't remember what I said I'd give up for him, but I know for SURE I said I'd basically do whatever it takes to get him.  I THINK I said I'd give up anything but the #1 pick, but I could be mistaken.  Nathan Zegura said he'd even consider giving up the #1 pick because we'd still be guaranteed to get a good player with the #12.  

However, your point about executing a long-term extension is extremely valid, and nobody on this board will ever know what JG would've said to that.  Of course, money talkes and B.S. walks, and we've got a lot of money.  

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Brian Hoyer...

SF cut Hoyer after the deal and NE signed him to a 3-year deal after he cleared waivers. They wanted him, but not his pseudo-starter contract he signed with SF.

You can't trade a 1st-round pick for a player that is months away from FA. To do so would definitely be "football malpractice".

Yeah, I know it's Hoyer right now, but I don't remember who the backup was when they traded Brissett.  

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, I know it's Hoyer right now, but I don't remember who the backup was when they traded Brissett.  

Garrapolo was the backup when they trade Brissett.  Duh!

Or, are you asking who was then third string?  I don't think they had one.    I would have said Julian Edelman was the emergency QB...but he was out injured.

In fact, the current roster lists, and I have checked a few...do not show any QBs on their roster other than Brady and Hoyer.  No PS, and no IR or anyone.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Garrapolo was the backup when they trade Brissett.  Duh!

Or, are you asking who was then third string?  I don't think they had one.    I would have said Julian Edelman was the emergency QB...but he was out injured.

In fact, the current roster lists, and I have checked a few...do not show any QBs on their roster other than Brady and Hoyer.  No PS, and no IR or anyone.

Yeah, sorry.  I meant to ask, "Who would've become 2nd string if we traded for Garoppolo"?  It didn't come out correctly.  

Archived