THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns coach wonders if DeShone Kizer 'will ever get it'

thomam3

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Mike Phipps, Derek Anderson, Brandon Weeden, Vinny Testaverde, Kizer.  I am sure there are more.  All the physical skills in the world, but vacuous between the ears.

Compare to guys like Sipe and Kosar.  Far more limited with their physical skills, yet top notch with football intellect.  Wouldn't it be something if the Browns could actually get a guy that has both the physical gifts and the mental acuity of a Sipe or Kosar.

Jim Kelly probably comes the closest to that in comparison... Although Kelly was built like a linebacker. He had a great arm and NFL Smarts to boot...

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Or...Elway.

Yes , Only Kelly was probably more methodical in his approach and worked more in the pocket  as to where Elway ,.. Made a living on busted plays much like Roethlisberger.

This thread is ridiculous.  "Getting it" is a mental process.. which would measure Kizer's ability to make the correct read.

Accuracy is his ability to throw to the correct spot AFTER making the correct read.

Kizer has problems with both.

Is Hue unable to determine the issues his players have with their performance? Or is he just a oddly pathetic communicator? Both?

You know what guys, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if we're all (including myself) being fair to Kizer.  To be perfectly clear, he has not played remotely well (duh).  He has panicked, turned it over constantly, turned it over in the red zone, failed to protect the ball, failed to be accurate, and lord knows whatever else.  Kizer has not been able to string together two decent games together, and whenever he takes a step forward, he takes a few awful steps back the following game.  Some of that is on Kizer, and some has to do with just bad luck.  The bad luck comes from the schedule, and here's what I mean.  Kizer managed to play at least a LITTLE better at the end of the year, but right when he plays decently well (like against the Lions), the schedule throws a team like Jacksonville against us.  Then right when Kizer takes a step forward and plays well against Green Bay (minus OT), the schedule throws the Ravens at us.  The Jaguars and the Ravens have made just about every QB look bad.  In the second half of the season, the Ravens' defense basically shut everyone down except for Big Ben and the Steelers, and many consider them to be possible Super Bowl worthy (vomit).  I know we have to play the teams on our schedule, and I obviously know we have to play our division opponents twice a year, but playing two of the best defenses that make VETERAN QB's look average or terrible isn't going to go well for a struggling rookie.  

I am not making excuses for Kizer's play, and I've been as hard on him as anybody this season.  What really hurts me regarding Kizer is he did ENOUGH in the Green Bay game to win, and our team didn't help him.  Njoku absolutely HAD TO MAKE that catch in the 4th quarter when Green Bay only had the 2 minute warning to stop the clock.  Njoku catches that ball, and best case scenario Green Bay gets the ball back around their 20-30 yard line with 1 minute to play in the game, down 7, with no way to stop the clock.  Of course, our special teams would have to tackle the punt returner, like they obviously DIDN'T do after the Njoku drop, but whatever.  Who is to say that we don't pick up the last first down we need on the ground if Njoku makes that catch?  The point is, Kizer played well enough to win that game, and our team let him down.  Yes, he made the awful decision to try and make that play in OT which ultimately cost us the game, but you know what?  Our defense could've still made a play.  Our defense could've still gotten a turnover, or a sack, or forced a long FG that they might've missed.  

I want everyone to go back and look at rookie QB's and what their numbers were for their first season.  How many people wrote off Jared Goff?  I realize being the #1 pick grants the player a longer leash, but still...he played awful.  Heck, the QB I desperately want to trade for or sign (if he's cut) is Alex Smith.  Go back and look at HIS rookie numbers.  Look at Matthew Stafford's rookie performance, and what do you see?

The point is, Deshone Kizer was asked to start day 1 for the worst team in the NFL, and he played without some of his best offensive weapons for most of the year.  Management did an AWFUL job of acquiring talent to help him.  Kizer holds his fair share of the blame that goes with being the starting QB, but there aren't too many examples of rookie QB's starting the year for the worst team in the league that came out of the gates looking terrific.  I know Cam Newton had an incredible year as a rookie.  I know Andrew Luck had a pretty good year.  Winston had a pretty decent season.  But these are former #1 picks!  What if Kizer just needs more time?  

Look, my honest opinion is that Kizer doesn't have "it", but I've been wrong many times in my life before.  I still think we need to bring in a veteran, draft a QB VERY high in the draft, and draft/sign as much offensive and defensive help as possible, but I also wanted to point out that Kizer wasn't exactly thrust into the best situation, and we know he's a worker.  If we don't change offensive systems, I'd be very interested to see how the inevitable QB competition shakes out next year.  

I believe you have it , or you simply don't.. It didn't take guys like Bernire Kosar and Jim Kelly very long , to "Get it"

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

This thread is ridiculous.  "Getting it" is a mental process.. which would measure Kizer's ability to make the correct read.

Accuracy is his ability to throw to the correct spot AFTER making the correct read.

Kizer has problems with both.

Is Hue unable to determine the issues his players have with their performance? Or is he just a oddly pathetic communicator? Both?

D.   All of the Above.

16 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

You can teach a guy with bad throwing mechanics to throw better. You can improve arm strength. You cannot teach a dullard to be smart. 

Kizer is smart- off the field. Between the lines? Not so much.  I've been preaching from day one you can't coach accuracy, and in that regard, anyone seen massive improvement from his ND days? Famous for bad turnovers at the worst possible times in college, still happening in the pros. I doubt he'll ever "get it" anytime soon. Maybe in 5 years on another team. Coaches and GMs are always looking for guys with athletic talent they think they can "fix", LOL like Hue and RG III.

Archived