THE BROWNS BOARD

Start Kevin Hogan NOW.

PoeticG

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I can't go that far. I only know I can't count on Kizer to be "the guy". Does that mean he never will develop? Possibly...

1. No... I'm only discussing Kizer because Hogan is a complete non-factor.
  2. "Winning the job" had everything to do with who started. Shitcan #1, McCown, was never in the competition. Shitcan #2, Osweiler, had his shot. Would either have won more than zero games? It's possible, but it would have been at the cost of learning whether or not Kizer could be the guy going forward. Kizer won the job because of the combination of his physical promise (which earned him his draft position) and rapid mastery of the basics, i.e., working under Center, play-calling, etc.

I said a long time ago that playing Kizer was a win-win that was going to involve losing... possibly a lot of losing. If:

• at some point Kizer "got it" and we began to win, then we had our QB going forward and that was a win.
  • Kizer never "got it" and we piled loss upon loss, then we had the #1 overall and our pick of the litter, a/k/a, a win.

Turned out the 2nd option was the one that that came to pass.

OK, I'll bite. if Hogan is a "non factor", same could be said at this point- so is Kizer. Deshone is going to get more "development time" in the last two games? To develop what? Perfecting getting strip sacked, throwing balls over Gordon's head or into the dirt, and ints into triple coverage? Honestly, some of Deshone's follies have been so predictable, they're almost funny- if it wasn't so sad. I called that Red Zone atrocity before it happened, "Here it comes!" Really- what's the sense in trotting him out there, only to have him embarrass himself further? Shut him down- I know, Hue is letting him play against the Bears. Kizer even said postgame Ravens he about 1\2 expected to get benched again. 

The point I really want to make Tour is we KNOW  we're drafting a QB (95%- 99%+ probability) with the #1 overall come April, so does it really matter who the hell the starting qb is the next two games? Dorsey should have scouted the Muni Lot before the Ravens game- "hey kid, you throw a nice spiral, wanna play against the Bears"? 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, hoorta said:

... does it really matter who the hell the starting qb is the next two games?

Not if their future potential is seen as equal. I don't think it is. Do you?

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Not if their future potential is seen as equal. I don't think it is. Do you?

No I don't. Hogan will probably bounce around as a third string QB for a few years- (shades of Connor Shaw). But I see Kizer's ceiling as so low- I'm willing to sacrifice any future development he might have for the (slightly) improved chance Hogan could win against the Bears. At best Tour- I see Deshone on multiple teams after the Browns cut him (GMs and coaches just love guys with athletic talent and big arms- shades of Hue with RG III)  for 4-5 years, and hopefully he "gets it" later on. Shades of Jim Plunkett (BTW, looking at pro football reference Jim was never great- he just played on some great teams). Personally, I don't see Kizer on the Browns roster in 2019, and starting him the last two games will make the Parade a virtual certainty..  

PS- I just saw Kizer's Red Zone interception against the Ravens again. I'll now rate it as the worst I've ever seen. Threw it into a sea of purple, and it had zero chance of being a completion. 

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

No I don't. Hogan will probably bounce around as a third string QB for a few years- (shades of Connor Shaw). But I see Kizer's ceiling as so low- I'm willing to sacrifice any future development he might have for the (slightly) improved chance Hogan could win against the Bears. At best Tour- I see Deshone on multiple teams after the Browns cut him (GMs and coaches just love guys with athletic talent and big arms- shades of Hue with RG III)  for 4-5 years, and hopefully he "gets it" later on. Shades of Jim Plunkett (BTW, looking at pro football reference Jim was never great- he just played on some great teams). Personally, I don't see Kizer on the Browns roster in 2019, and starting him the last two games will make the Parade a virtual certainty..  

PS- I just saw Kizer's Red Zone interception against the Ravens again. I'll now rate it as the worst I've ever seen. Threw it into a sea of purple, and it had zero chance of being a completion. 

When he released that I thought he was throwing out of the end zone...you know...to the blonde in the third row. But then....it ended being right in, as you say, a sea of purple.  And I thought "did he mean to throw it away and just short armed it or what?  I still believe that that HAS to be what happened...because there was no way that he should have actually been trying to throw that to a receiver.

So....with that, we should have Z autocorrect the name Kizer any time it is typed to "Scarecrow"....because he clearly doesn't seem to have a brain.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Then for balance you should look at Kizer's strike to Gordon for a TD vs. GB...

I disagree our chances vs. the Bears are increased at all with Hogan... or Kessler.

RIght now I see Kizer headed in the direction of Jason Campbell. Where is he in 2019? I have no idea...

23 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I disagree our chances vs. the Bears are increased at all with Hogan... or Kessler.

I have to agree with that. At this stage of the game we probably don't gain anything by announcing Hogan. My point is only whether or not Hogan would be better than Kizer if he'd been the starter for the last 14 games. The only aadvantage we might have over the Bears is the element of surprise if Kizer were to shjt the bed early.

WSS

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

The only aadvantage we might have over the Bears is the element of surprise if Kizer were to shjt the bed early.

Kizer sh!tting the bed would be a surprise? ;)

34 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Heh, not really but putting in Hogan early in the game would be the surprise. It seems like he did look good coming off the bench before?

WSS

IF  Kizer shits the bed in the first half....I could see Hogan being put in later.   I fully expect Kizer to throw 1 Int. and fumble the ball once in the first half of that game.  He has what?  almost 30 turnovers so far?   

Wonder what the "prop" bet would be on that.....Kizer....2 TO's in first half.  (make it any combination of Ints/fumbles).  I suspect that would be a "pic em" bet.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

RIght now I see Kizer headed in the direction of Jason Campbell. Where is he in 2019? I have no idea...

Tour, that's the problem I have with Kizer. He'll make a beautiful throw like that, and follow it up with 2 WTF ones.... The Ghoul would say he chokes in the Red Zone big time too...  I'd (almost) bet the ranch Deshone will never be consistent enough to ever crack the top half level of starting qbs. Had to look up his stats, but comparing him to Jason Campbell is being mighty charitable... 

Yeah, Deshone was a "value" pick that I never liked from the get go, though some pundits had him as the top QB prospect. Speaking of- ahem. Old Cal loves him some Josh Allen, and some pundits currently have him as a high first round pick. I see WAY too much of what Deshone looked like at Notre Dame in Allen at Wyoming. Tune in tomorrow 4PM EDT, ESPN and see if you don't agree.  :) 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

I see WAY too much of what Deshone looked like at Notre Dame in Allen at Wyoming. Tune in tomorrow 4PM EDT, ESPN and see if you don't agree.  :) 

Ooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, Central Michigan.....................scary. They actually beat Kansas this year.....................oh wait.......................not basketball. This game can only prove he is Sheet or nothing at all.  Wyoming has already played at the stadium in Boise this year so they have that advantage of knowing the blue turf.

But Central Michigan did beat URI which I think is Urology Institute or something. I hear they can either play like pussies or ball breakers on any given day.:wacko:

Archived