THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas wants to buy the Panthers

Westside Steve

I know it is all in jest...and it is funny.

But....I wonder who would be candidates for buying the Panthers?   It would take what?  1.5 to 2.0 billion? Here are some potential candidates:

James Goodnight and John Sall.   They own a company called SAS Software.  Maybe some of you have heard of them? (not me)

A guy named Clemmie Spengler....

A guy named Michael Jordan.  Owns the Hornets.   Maybe you heard of him.  Though...I don't know if the NFL allows cross ownership of NFL and NBA teams in the same city.

A guy named Bruton Smith....NASCAR guy.  Maybe there could be some synergy.

Anita Zucker....richest person in South Carolina.  Principal owner of InterTech Group....a chemical manufacturer.

Other people with Carolina ties:

Belk Family....Belk Dept. stores

Levine Family....Family Dollar

Wordsworth Family....they recently sold their business to Warren Buffett

Joe Gibbs?

And here is the list of the richest people:  to my knowledge none of the Top Ten own sports franchises  (guys like Gates, Buffett, Besoz, Zuckerberg the Koch's, Bloomberg.  The Waltons, etc.  I think the first one down the list is Steve Ballmer...Clippers owner:

https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/#version:static

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I know it is all in jest...and it is funny.

But....I wonder who would be candidates for buying the Panthers?   It would take what?  1.5 to 2.0 billion? Here are some potential candidates:

James Goodnight and John Sall.   They own a company called SAS Software.  Maybe some of you have heard of them? (not me)

A guy named Clemmie Spengler....

A guy named Michael Jordan.  Owns the Hornets.   Maybe you heard of him.  Though...I don't know if the NFL allows cross ownership of NFL and NBA teams in the same city.

A guy named Bruton Smith....NASCAR guy.  Maybe there could be some synergy.

Anita Zucker....richest person in South Carolina.  Principal owner of InterTech Group....a chemical manufacturer.

Other people with Carolina ties:

Belk Family....Belk Dept. stores

Levine Family....Family Dollar

Wordsworth Family....they recently sold their business to Warren Buffett

Joe Gibbs?

And here is the list of the richest people:  to my knowledge none of the Top Ten own sports franchises  (guys like Gates, Buffett, Besoz, Zuckerberg the Koch's, Bloomberg.  The Waltons, etc.  I think the first one down the list is Steve Ballmer...Clippers owner:

https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/#version:static

I heard Puff Daddy and Kaepernick want to buy them along with Maurice Jones-Drew and a ton of other people. Steph Curry said he wanted a part of it too.

No way they let a current NBA player have ownership in an NFL franchise while he's playing though.

4 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

I heard Puff Daddy and Kaepernick want to buy them along with Maurice Jones-Drew and a ton of other people. Steph Curry said he wanted a part of it too.

No way they let a current NBA player have ownership in an NFL franchise while he's playing though.

No...in fact, I think the NFL has rules about people owning "cross-ownership".  Example.....let's say that Mark Cuban wanted to buy the Panthers.  He would be disallowed because he owns the Dallas Mavericks.  

But, if Michael Jordan....Hornets owner wanted to buy the NFL team in Charlotte, I think that would be permissible.

Now, note:  the NFL made an exception when they allowed Stan Kroenke to move the Rams to LA.   The exception was made for a couple of reasons:  A. Because Kroenke agreed to put his ownership of teams in Denver into trust...and to have his family involved...and B.  The NFL...and Jerry Jones in particular were drooling to put a team in LA (it was not that the people of LA gave a damn)....so they were willing to look the other way.

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

(it was not that the people of LA gave a damn)....so they were willing to look the other way.

people in LA don't give a damn. which is why it makes me so mad the rams are so good now. our fans are 10000000x more loyal, and many rams fans didn't even care about them or become fans till they started winning. now those fans talk Sheet to cleveland fans and other fans because their team is good. its eye-rolling.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

people in LA don't give a damn. which is why it makes me so mad the rams are so good now. our fans are 10000000x more loyal, and many rams fans didn't even care about them or become fans till they started winning. now those fans talk Sheet to cleveland fans and other fans because their team is good. its eye-rolling.

Do they talk shite?  I have not heard it.  Perhaps you do?

Archived