THE BROWNS BOARD

The OWNER says the coach will be back for 2018

Richiswhere

"I think ownership has already spoken on that question," Dorsey said, twice, when asked about Jackson's future.

Because Bull asked him twice.

Ya know, Dorsey really can't answer questions regarding whether or not the coach will be retained while the season still has more games to be played.  Right?  He can't say, "No, the coach will not be back."  He can't say anything LIKE that.  The players have to respect the coach's authority.

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

Because Bull asked him twice.

Ya know, Dorsey really can't answer questions regarding whether or not the coach will be retained while the season still has more games to be played.  Right?  He can't say, "No, the coach will not be back."  He can't say anything LIKE that.  The players have to respect the coach's authority.

Well....and here is the other thing.....Dorsey has no authority to fire Hue.  Jimmah said it:   both Hue and Dorsey will report directly to "ownership"....they will not report to each other, so neither is apparently the boss of the other.

Jimmy and Dee are the bosses...and only they can remove Hue.  Of course...the question to be asked is "why haven't they already"?

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....and here is the other thing.....Dorsey has no authority to fire Hue.  Jimmah said it:   both Hue and Dorsey will report directly to "ownership"....they will not report to each other, so neither is apparently the boss of the other.

Jimmy and Dee are the bosses...and only they can remove Hue.  Of course...the question to be asked is "why haven't they already"?

It would be immensely ironic that for once they decide to stick with a coach, it was to the coach with the worst record ever... 

19 minutes ago, Nero said:

It would be immensely ironic that for once they decide to stick with a coach, it was to the coach with the worst record ever... 

My guess is that they feel the need to show the NFL that a head coaching candidate can get a third season with the Haslam's...

I'll still believe it when I see it that a head coach can go 1-31 and keep his job. And I'm probably in the minority on this board that can honestly say I won't be angry if he comes back next season.

53 minutes ago, Nero said:

He's 8-37 as a HC.

More ironic would be if the Bengals wanted to trade for him...

When I saw the last 2 minutes before the half of the first Bengals game, LAST year, I felt that we had the wrong coach.

The new GM, Dorsey, repeated that a couple of times in a radio interview today.

A coach who might be 1 and 31......in 32 football games, is good enough to retain for another year.  That's just a hard statement to defend.  I mean, that's saying that Sashi Brown was SOOOooooo bad that a record of 1 - 31 is not a reflection of the coach at all.  The players that Sashi gave the coach are SOOOoooo bad that the coach should not be expected to get more than 1 win in 32 football games.

...and ya know what?  There's a lot of truth in that.  Hue Jackson was brought in, and got to watch his inherited 3-win team's roster get stripped down, before his eyes, to be a zero win team.  And he watched OTHER teams get the franchise QB's that HE coulda' had.  (nobody was gonna win many games with the QB's that he had to use)

Now...we get all that.  But we HAVE watched the coach for these two years and many of us do NOT like a lot of his game-day decisions.  We saw him call a bubble screen from the Steeler one yard line (1st and goal), IN OT that lost 7 yards...and we lost the game.  Anyone that watched the final two minutes of the first half of the first Bengals game in 2016 saw the coach make some of the worst decisions in history,  which lead to a Bengals TD.  We have NOT see anything that resembles his 'QB Guru' status that surrounded him during his courtship and hiring.  As a matter of fact, most people have NOT liked his handling of the QB's.

I don't see why he would be brought back for another year, save for consistency's sake.  (which I don't subscribe to the consistency for the sake of consistency theory)

The Takes:

1)  The OWNER saying that the coach will be back for another year is the carved in stone truth.

2)  It's OWNER speak.  When the season's over the coach will be let go.

3)  The new GM is allowed to have a month to watch the coach and then tell the OWNER whether the coach should be fired or not.

....one thing we know for sure, neither the OWNER nor the GM would be able to tell anyone except each other that they had any intention to fire the coach...until the regular season is over.

( nobody would fire anyone on New Years Day.....right? )

If Hue comes back for 2018, it proves that Haslam is the worst owner we have ever had to deal with....about the same as Ted Stepien. I really don't understand why a billionaire owner would keep a coach this incompetent...to prove a point?....that he doesn't have a quick trigger finger in firing coaches? That's a sign of a weak individual....to succumb to pressure by others ( the media, other owners, etc.) Just sell the team and end this nightmare.

Bringing back Hue , makes 0 sense.. He obviously is having little impact on the players he has now.. Hell. sometimes you win a game by accident. And this team can't even do that.. This guy is in so far over his head its criminal. This guy can't even inspire a fart , let alone another human. So let's waste another half a season to know what we already know.. Hue is a dud!

Archived