THE BROWNS BOARD

One thing that scares me about Dorsey

Mr. Make-Believe

Wasn't he the architect of the trade up for Patrick Mahomes? 

I know this board has its share of Mahomes believers, but I'm not one of them. And it cost the Chiefs 2 firsts and a third to move up and grab him. Everyone beat on the Bears for the Trubisky move, but to me, this was the worst trade of the draft.

I have zero interest in drafting a happy-footed project QB from an Air Raid offense to be the savior of the Browns offense.  And a deal like this would suggest Dorsey may willing to "reach" to nab that kind of player.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Wasn't he the architect of the trade up for Patrick Mahomes? 

I know this board has its share of Mahomes believers, but I'm not one of them. And it cost the Chiefs 2 firsts and a third to move up and grab him. Everyone beat on the Bears for the Trubisky move, but to me, this was the worst trade of the draft.

I have zero interest in drafting a happy-footed project QB from an Air Raid offense to be the savior of the Browns offense.  And a deal like this would suggest Dorsey may willing to "reach" to nab that kind of player.

Don't worry, we won't have to reach to take Mayfield.  We'll Shmuck that up without breaking a sweat.

6 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Was it? I thought the chiefs almost explicitly stated mahomes would be the starter next year. Like they were getting ready to shop smith, thats how much i thought i read they liked mahomes. 

Both things can be true... they love Mahomes, but not the deal Dorsey made to draft him.

In exchange for the rights to get Mahomes, the Chiefs gave up this year's first-round pick (No. 27 overall), this year's third-round pick (91st overall) and a 2018 first-round pick.

10 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

In any case, we dint have to wirry this year about any trade ups. We're gonna have 1 and 4 right now right? Maybe that texans pick will redeem sashi's tenure here

Nice thought, so long as he doesn't step on a rake, it's only going to further empower Dorsey.

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Both things can be true... they love Mahomes, but not the deal Dorsey made to draft him.

In exchange for the rights to get Mahomes, the Chiefs gave up this year's first-round pick (No. 27 overall), this year's third-round pick (91st overall) and a 2018 first-round pick.

Isn't that pretty much fair market value:  what you would have to expect to move up from 27 to 10?  What did Philly pay to go from where they were to trade with Browns for the #2 pick?

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Isn't that pretty much fair market value:  what you would have to expect to move up from 27 to 10?

...and they willingly PAY those prices....because you HAVE TO have a QB.  (WE don't...but OTHER teams feel that they DO have to have a QB)

Houston paid one first round to move up 13 spots (from #25 to #12), so I think it's fair to add a 3rd round to enter the Top 10 moving up 17 spots. Also, there only was 1 QB that had been already drsfted by then (Trubisky #2), whereas Texans trade was done after 2 QBs had been already drafted (Trub, Mahomes). 

Dorsey to get to #10 from #27 gave KC’s 2018 1st rounder & 3rd rounder #91..To get Kareem Hunt in 3rd round at #86? Dorsey went from 3rd round #104 to pick #86, giving up a 4th #132 & a 7th #245.

I don't think it's a fair guess to blame that on Dorsey, when the coaches surely were all about that qb and rb,

and wanted him to make it happen...something like that. Let's see how it goes this draft. I expect awesome things.

Like a trade down. Let Buffalo have Rosen, because he is the best pure pocket passer in the draft, eh?:)

Dudes,

If finding a franchise QB on one pick was the measure of a GM, you and I would eventually get our chance as and NFL GM because most of the known guys would have failed.

29 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Chiefs gave up next tears first rounder too? Ouch. The pressure on mahomes is going to be monumental. 

Cleve were young enough now. 12 more coming in Utes in this draft? Is full blown NFL daycare ;). My hope is Dorsey looks for more draft day player trades like Jamar Taylor? deal for seasoned talent in their last season of a expiring contract maybe?

17 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Chiefs gave up next tears first rounder too? Ouch. The pressure on mahomes is going to be monumental. 

They switched first rounders last season, in reality. A third rounder alone isn't getting you from the end of the first round to #10.

I don't think Dorsey overpaid to get his qb. That is definitely fair market value. Plus, when it comes to qb's, you pay the premium to get YOUR GUY. It's plain and simple. I can tell you for certain, there is not a chance this team leaves the draft with 12 picks. I'll be even more bold and say that there is not a chance the Browns go INTO the draft with 12 picks. Depending on where that second pick falls, and assuming the browns don't screw it all up and win the last 2 games losing the #1 overall, it would not surprise me to see the Browns trade some of those picks for other players currently on rosters. 

15 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Dorsey to get to #10 from #27 gave KC’s 2018 1st rounder & 3rd rounder #91..To get Kareem Hunt in 3rd round at #86? Dorsey went from 3rd round #104 to pick #86, giving up a 4th #132 & a 7th #245.

If Dorsey is able to get us a Kareem Hunt kind of player that cheaply, I'd take any day. Finding a way to steal Smith would be icing on the cake.

Who was that ridiculous little midget on the chiefs that cant be guarded? Is it their rb or slot wr? I mean he's ludicrously fast. Last game they mentioned that gm lobbied hard for the kid despite some character issues. I mean if dorsey can bring in unguardable munchkins from the wizard of oz with char issues im oerfectly ok with watching them walk away from premier nfl secondaries with ball in hand

22 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Who was that ridiculous little midget on the chiefs that cant be guarded? Is it their rb or slot wr? I mean he's ludicrously fast. Last game they mentioned that gm lobbied hard for the kid despite some character issues. I mean if dorsey can bring in unguardable munchkins from the wizard of oz with char issues im oerfectly ok with watching them walk away from premier nfl secondaries with ball in hand

Both Hunt and Hill are hard to find and speed to burn. Hill is a WR but he often is run in the jet sweep and sometimes runs from the RB position (but gets isolated on a LB from there occasionally for a pass out of the backfield).

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Isn't that pretty much fair market value:  what you would have to expect to move up from 27 to 10?  What did Philly pay to go from where they were to trade with Browns for the #2 pick?

19 hours ago, Nero said:

Houston paid one first round to move up 13 spots (from #25 to #12), so I think it's fair to add a 3rd round to enter the Top 10 moving up 17 spots. Also, there only was 1 QB that had been already drsfted by then (Trubisky #2), whereas Texans trade was done after 2 QBs had been already drafted (Trub, Mahomes). 

Tis the season for draft pick charts? It's an overpayment per the Harvard chart 299.1 <==> 214.7+135.1+102.7= 452.5, but a 50% premium to the chart is far from the worst deal ever made.

What you are not considering is where Mahomes was believed to be going in Round One. If KC had him pegged to go around pick #20 as the 3rd QB taken, then the light in which the deal is seen is a little different. For the same premium Pick 1.20 could have been had for 1.27+3.27+6.27.

DraftScout had Mahomes as their #4 QB in the 2017 draft.

But hey... Dorsey's move helped us/him as it contributed to Houston's urgency to move up and take Watson.

18 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Dudes,

If finding a franchise QB on one pick was the measure of a GM, you and I would eventually get our chance as and NFL GM because most of the known guys would have failed.

And you can get lucky....and the guy that you pick at #82 is considered the GOAT (Montana...82d overall pick)  until a guy that is picked #199 comes along.

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Cleve were young enough now. 12 more coming in Utes in this draft? Is full blown NFL daycare ;). My hope is Dorsey looks for more draft day player trades like Jamar Taylor? deal for seasoned talent in their last season of a expiring contract maybe?

Except that Jamar Taylor has been pretty terrible.  Maybe the concept you are suggesting is good......but lets just get a better player than Taylor.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

Tyreke Hill.....but he dropped due to off field issues.   (Domestic Violence?)

Archived