Jump to content
THE BROWNS BOARD

Crying at the Movies? Over the Browns?


Ghoolie
 Share

Recommended Posts

I watched the movie about Ernie Davis last night. I have to admit, it turned Ghoolie into a total pussy. The story of Ernie in itself was a heart breaker. Add to that the excellent depiction of the 60s era Browns, a depiction of nobility, strength and prominence was beautiful to watch. Finally, for me, this Christmas will be my first ever without my Mom, and of course no Browns December excitement to boot. Those movie images of what the Browns once were, also brought back to me images of what life with my parents was like back then.

We love the Browns, because we are the Browns.

Tomorrow is my birthday, I have prayed for the Browns to give me a win this weekend and for us make Trubisky look worse than Lynch. It would be a sweet win.

If you haven't seen the movie, you should.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My favorite of all time for a tearjerker football movie is Brian's Song about the relationship between Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers.

Happy birthday! :D

If a person can make it through Brian's Song without shedding a tear, they aren't human.

And I'm not talking about a stray tear falling like when Kevin Costner asks his dead dad if he wants to have a catch at the end of Field of Dreams.

I'm talking full-out ugly sobbing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If a person can make it through Brian's Song without shedding a tear, they aren't human.

And I'm not talking about a stray tear falling like when Kevin Costner asks his dead dad if he wants to have a catch at the end of Field of Dreams.

I'm talking full-out ugly sobbing.

Agree with both of these. Ray Kinsella for me is the ultimate tear jerker. Sports..................we play it on the street and vacant lots, we talk about it, breath it and watch it on TV. What a tremendous thing this is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If you saw the photo that Ghoolie put up on facebook....you should know that Ghoolie is salving his soul by going to Vegas and drowning himself in a sea of  gambling, liquor and ladies of the evening.

And I applaud him for it. :lol:

The making of a Great American Hero. Sorry but JFF beat him there already to claim the title from day one, on a swan no less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The making of a Great American Hero. Sorry but JFF beat him there already to claim the title from day one, on a swan no less.

Well, he may not be gambling....but I know he likes his rum (the brand over which some of all y'all have argued).   But he was photoed en flagrante with a couple of show girls. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, he may not be gambling....but I know he likes his rum (the brand over which some of all y'all have argued).   But he was photoed en flagrante with a couple of show girls. 

One of these days I'll convert him to Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Pussy and drinking is all a man needs.

A first year psych student would read your posts and conclude that you are obviously a self-hating gay man buried in the closet who overcompensates with this tough guy persona to keep people from discovering your true self...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Ghoolie I truly am sorry you've got this Christmas to face without your mom. I hope you find some solace and joy somehow. Yep Brian's song has got me teary eyed every time I've seen it. 

THanks man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If you saw the photo that Ghoolie put up on facebook....you should know that Ghoolie is salving his soul by going to Vegas and drowning himself in a sea of  gambling, liquor and ladies of the evening.

And I applaud him for it. :lol:

That dark haired girl is so animated, she really needs an agent. When she found me she was in the middle of lip-synching the deep bass male voice that announces the start of the Freemont video show. She was adorable beyond belief. Don't know what quality you want to call it, but the crowd couldn't take their eyes off this chick. Me either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, nickers said:

Happy Birthday , Tom.. And no I havent seen it yet.. Its on the bucket list , though...

It's really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Happy birthday Ghoolie.

Better days are ahead. This time next birthday you will be praising Dorsey on his QB selection. Your mother will have had her hand in it too up in heaven so you cant lose in this draft.

Touche'  Thanks man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rain kept us from headed to the Casinos tonight, so we are going tonight. Over my birthday dinner at a favorit bar, a bunch of guys got drawn into a convo I started about football. When the subject of great teams, heritage, and impressive times, I brought up my being a lifelong Browns fan. Some in the crowd were 50 ish but most 40 or less.

Some commented that I must have remembered Sipe and Kosar, but when I mentioned I saw the great Jim Brown, you could tell there were more than a few skeptics. When I showed the picture of 7 year old me and Jim after practice at Hiram in 1961, you could have heard a pin drop. My phone got passed around for what seemed like an hour. Bartenders came over as did strangers not even at the bar.

It wasn't a show off thing, it never is, instead it is an opportunity for me to say....look asstards................WE ARE BROWNS FANS................. we know more than you do. It opened up an hour long conversation about the Browns, JB, PB, Bulldogs, etc.....you would be amazed not only at how little folks know about our heritage, but how interested they are in hearing about it.

Birthday present? Dudes, I got to talk Browns to strangers, and listen to people say...."damn, that guy looked like a badass"

We can blast the Browns, but nobody knows them like we do.

Man do I want a win against the Bears. Then take the MO against the Steelers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2017 at 3:19 PM, Ghoolie said:

I watched the movie about Ernie Davis last night. I have to admit, it turned Ghoolie into a total pussy. The story of Ernie in itself was a heart breaker. Add to that the excellent depiction of the 60s era Browns, a depiction of nobility, strength and prominence was beautiful to watch. Finally, for me, this Christmas will be my first ever without my Mom, and of course no Browns December excitement to boot. Those movie images of what the Browns once were, also brought back to me images of what life with my parents was like back then.

We love the Browns, because we are the Browns.

Tomorrow is my birthday, I have prayed for the Browns to give me a win this weekend and for us make Trubisky look worse than Lynch. It would be a sweet win.

If you haven't seen the movie, you should.

 

I feel for you.  I lost both parents within months of each other last year, so this is the first year without either of them for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2017 at 11:19 PM, BrownPile said:

I feel for you.  I lost both parents within months of each other last year, so this is the first year without either of them for me.

God BLess you too, my friend.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2017 at 12:29 AM, Kennel Club said:

Happy belated B'day Ghoolie.

Thanks, man, Nice surprise, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2017 at 11:39 PM, wargograw said:

You're talking about The Express?

Yeah, it was a great connection for me to the old days. I was old enough to vaguely remember the sorrow over Ernie, but was of course told of him by my Dad. Movie was well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...