THE BROWNS BOARD

But its a passing league!!!!

Clevfan4life

37 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Yeah now they are, still doesnt change the fact that the cowboys ran all over them in the 1st half. Elliot slobe had 50 yds just in the 1st quarter. I guess ur tuning in late

That's right...I forgot...you're among the stats are important  crowd.   All those rushing yards don't mean shit when you're losing the game.  Just like the defensive rankings you like to talk about.   Yay!   we have pretty stats!!   What?  we're losing and the defense never makes a stop when it matters??  So what....we have nice stats. 

On 12/24/2017 at 8:54 PM, Clevfan4life said:

Excuse about what? Im watching guys like elliot and gurley run over good nfl defenses. It doesnt mean an automatic win but it shows the run is not dead in the nfl.

It is only dead to Hue Jackson.  He has what I consider to be two quality RBs.....yet he totally relies on a totally unreliable QB.

The need to stop the run is surely relevant, but the original post is using one game as an example of why the NFL isn't a passing league, and that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Can you win by running the ball and playing great defense? I think so, but it's becoming more rare to consistently win that way. Heck, that was supposed to be how WE won a few games, but our defense was a nightmare. I don't care about stats and where we ranked against this or that. We couldn't stop teams when we needed to, we couldn't force any turnovers, and we couldn't usually win the field position battle. 

Gregg Williams got exposed by a rookie QB and a Bears team that had very little talent. We couldn't stop the qb draw again (when I was screaming AGAIN it was coming), we blitzed way too much, and stupid penalties basically cost us any chance of winning. I'm not saying we would've won, but the Nassib offsides penalty when he lined up a foot in the neutral zone was absolutely pathetic. Instead of 10-6 with 14:50 left to go in he 3rd quarter following an incredible Myles Garrett pick 6, the Bears would get 40 yards on a screen pass after Gregg blitzed yet again on a 3rd down. I believe the Bears would go on to score a TD that drive and essentially end the game. 

Many of us have been clamoring for a game-changing play by our #1 pick Myles Garrett. Garrett displayed unbelievable coordination, acceleration, and ability on that play, and I doubt there are too many other players who could've made that play happen. It was a real game-changer. A turnover and a score. The exact thing we've been so starved of, and somehow when it happens, we're lined up offsides. Something is wrong with our team. 

Imagine how many times your team lines up in the neutral zone all season. Maybe 5 times, right? Now, how many times does a defensive end or defender get a pick 6? Maybe 2 or 3 a season? So what are the freaking odds they both happen on the same play? Not only that, but it was a play from the guy who really needed it. Your #1 pick. The guy who answered the call and should've put your team in a situation to win. 

I can't...I just can't. 

Painful but true post to read jiggins. What a run after the pick!! But how can our DE not check with the linesman, as you are allowed to do, before the play starts to make sure he is onsides? That is just poor coaching IMO. It should be automatic as much with DEs as it is with WRs and CBs. Yep, Football Follies!

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Imagine how many times your team lines up in the neutral zone all season. Maybe 5 times, right?

I saw more of this this season uncalled than I have ever seen before. And I am talking every NFL game I saw, not just ours. And on Offense more nonsense with split receivers not on (or not off) the line,

Really sloppy LOS officiating all around.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Garrett displayed unbelievable coordination, acceleration, and ability on that play, and I doubt there are too many other players who could've made that play happen.

Not the time to consider this, but I could not help but think, "Situational TE."

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I saw more of this this season uncalled than I have ever seen before. And I am talking every NFL game I saw, not just ours. And on Offense more nonsense with split receivers not on (or not off) the line,

Really sloppy LOS officiating all around.

Not the time to consider this, but I could not help but think, "Situational TE."

I know, I'd be lying if I didn't think the same thing.  When he caught the ball (no easy feat considering it was a deflection and he had to react to it), he didn't look awkward or cumbersome.  He actually looked FAST.  A part of me thinks Mitch would've knocked him out of bounds if not for the flag.  I think Mitch immediately saw the flag and wasn't too worried, and thought better of trying to throw himself at one of the biggest fastest people on earth.  Solid career choice.  

Situational TE...lord that'd be fun.  I imagine he'd make a helluva lead blocker too...like as an H-Back or "Jumbo Package" fullback.  

8 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I know, I'd be lying if I didn't think the same thing.  When he caught the ball (no easy feat considering it was a deflection and he had to react to it), he didn't look awkward or cumbersome.  He actually looked FAST.  A part of me thinks Mitch would've knocked him out of bounds if not for the flag.  I think Mitch immediately saw the flag and wasn't too worried, and thought better of trying to throw himself at one of the biggest fastest people on earth.  Solid career choice.  

Situational TE...lord that'd be fun.  I imagine he'd make a helluva lead blocker too...like as an H-Back or "Jumbo Package" fullback.  

You all may or may not know that he was a decent basketball player in HS just like Mike Evans. So this is not just a pipe dream. He can get way up there in dunking territory with very excellent hands and the ability to block out defenders. Besides it would be fun to see him be the only one to catch a Kizer pass for a TD.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You all may or may not know that he was a decent basketball player in HS just like Mike Evans. So this is not just a pipe dream. He can get way up there in dunking territory with very excellent hands and the ability to block out defenders. Besides it would be fun to see him be the only one to catch a Kizer pass for a TD.

Wasn't Julius Peppers used on offense a bit when he was younger in goal line situations?

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can take one look at Garrett and know that he was probably good at just about everything. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I can take one look at Garrett and know that he was probably good at just about everything. 

His mother and sister were sprinting track stars (sister was a part of A&M National Women's Track Championship team at least one year) so he comes by that speed honestly.

EDIT: I forgot to add his older brother was a pro player for the Celtics, so there's that link to basketball as well.

Archived