THE BROWNS BOARD

Logic must win out over Browns keeping Hue Jackson

Tacosman

Let me get this straight: Hue Jackson is supposed to be immune to review right now, despite the worst two-year run in NFL history. He's just going to maybe hire a new offensive coordinator and delegate a little more on a side of the ball where the Browns have been nothing short of inept on a weekly basis but, otherwise, nothing to see here.

And when the Browns get pummeled by the Steelers – who will have a potential first-round bye on the line in Week 17 – and end up at 0-16, well, that's no big deal, either. Nothing to see here. While upwards of a third of the league pursues new coaches, the Browns have their man for 2018, even if the new general manager they just hired would prefer things be different and even with all of the myriad other issues popping up (like the potential top pick in the draft, UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, not wanting to play in Cleveland). And even with an owner in place who has been known to say one thing and do another.

Okay. Sure. Nothing to see here. I'll believe it when I see those season-ticket renewal notices going out and Jackson, at 0-16 and 1-31, still coaching the team. Then, you'll have me convinced. Until then, I'll continue to entertain the thought that logic, reason, and common sense still have a place in the Browns' organization. As bad as it – and it's nothing short of awful with Cleveland's lack of discipline, lack of quarterback development and lack of cogent offensive identity again undermining the team in a lopsided loss to the lowly Bears – this is still an attractive enough job (especially with two picks in the first five or six selections in the draft). Even more so with an established football man like John Dorsey at the helm now.

For instance, someone tell me why this wouldn't be viable alternative to continuing on with a coach that has now gone over a year without winning a game. Hear me out for a minute.

Nothing is more imperative to this franchise than finally finding a quarterback. Identifying him and incubating him and cultivating him is literally everything. There are some other pieces in place and another trove of draft picks to utilize. But after fanning on Jared Goff (could've moved up one slot to draft him) and Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson and I could go on and on, they absolutely must get this right.

You want to land Rosen, and do so without drama and tumult and potentially sparring with his agent? Want to put him around a nucleus of coaches and teachers he already knows and trusts? Want to make him feel comfortable? Why not hire his former college coach? Or at least strongly consider him. Jim Mora lost his job in large part due to Rosen being hurt much of this season, but he's known him since he was around 15, built by all accounts a strong relationship with him, and in a year where there will be so much coaching change without many proven, experienced NFL coaches, Mora fits the bill. Wanna bring Rosen's college coordinator, Jedd Fisch (a former NFL coordinator), with him to run an offense he already knows? I'm guessing that could be arranged, too.  

Because if anyone thinks Rosen is going to watch the Browns' film this year and look at how Jackson has kept DeShone Kizer on a human yo-yo string and think that someone with his intellect and longview is going to just waltz right into that web, well, you've got another thing coming. Mora may not be the sexiest name, but, well, neither was another "retread" head coach in Doug Marrone a year ago in Jacksonville, either. That's worked out pretty well I'd say.

And, give the import of the draft to the Browns, I'd point to the success veteran coaches like Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh had in recent years in helping the personnel staff identify the top rookie talent in the league for their first few years on the job after having recruited so many of those kids firsthand, getting to know them and their families in a unique manner. If nothing else, it's worth mulling. Because even if guys like Josh McDaniels and Pat Shurmur and Jim Schwartz wouldn't entertain the thought of coaching the Browns if the job did in fact open up – finding an improvement over the current state of affairs shouldn't be difficult.

Two years ago, owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam, along with recently-fired GM Sashi Brown and analytics "maven" Paul DePodesta comprised the group entrusted with conducting that coaching search. This time, I'd let Dorsey do the hiring and consider what might be best for a potential franchise quarterback and conduct as thorough of a search as possible.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree although I'm not happy about this. When he was first hired I was excited because the bungholes at the time were very good. Getting a coach from a rival I was thinking maybe we turn this around. After all he was very familiar with the division as a whole not too even mention the smaller nuances of the pro circuit. 

Lets Sheet can this fool and yes Ghoolie you were right all along.

4 hours ago, Browns149 said:

If they bring any of these coaches back they should be forced to sell the team

FIRE EVERY COACH!!!!!

as far as i am concerned, it gets worse yr after yr for what, 20 yrs now...time to get rid of football in cleveland...i'd like to see them try and get an nhl franchise...maybe we can compete with the penguins and beat them...fuk this Sheet....

3 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I didn't want Sashi & Co, fired.  Don't want Hue fired but understand that the record may dictate it.

Another rebuild with an inexperienced head coach, great.  And before the pumpers chime in, "Gruden will want to turn this around", the Browns is the worst coaching spot in the NFL and it is know a fact.

gruden isn't fuking stupid, his wife would clobber him with a steel pan if he even thought about moving to cleveland from tampa...are you Shmucking nuts...have you ever been to tampa....oh wait a minute, maybe he can coach via teleconferencing from tampa....sorry, did not think about that....pfffffft...

14 minutes ago, browns52 said:

gruden isn't fuking stupid, his wife would clobber him with a steel pan if he even thought about moving to cleveland from tampa...are you Shmucking nuts...have you ever been to tampa....oh wait a minute, maybe he can coach via teleconferencing from tampa....sorry, did not think about that....pfffffft...

Summer in Tampa is worse than a winter in ClevelandSummer in Tampa is worse than a winter in Cleveland

Just now, The Gipper said:

Summer in Tampa is worse than a winter in ClevelandSummer in Tampa is worse than a winter in Cleveland

i'll take tampa any day....my wife and i vacation close to tampa every yr...in the summer it gets hot and humid...but let me tell you...alot of times it is hotter and more humid in pennsylvania than it is in tampa...call it global warming or whatever...but it is really not that bad there in the summer...plus you have the gulf of mexico....i'll take that over any lake up north all yr round....regardless of the heat...

Firing sashi and keeping Hue makes no sense. The offense is worse than a year ago and we didn't lose anybody. Thats is 100% on Hue and the fact that he is too stubborn to hire an offensive coordinator is insane. He fired Deflippo the guy who coached Carson wentz into MVP form for no reason at all. He had a young promising coordinator that he could have help mold but nope Hues offense is other worldly and a mere mortal couldn't comprehend it. 

Unless he's really a genius and tanked the season, to get rid of the analytics guy and have his pick of this years QB class.

Its simple.....in any other irganization this record is self explanatory, ur gone! But after 7-8 years of 1-2 yr coaches, oyr tep in the nfl is sooooo fukking bad that we dont have a choice but to stick with a coach for multiple years. Keeping hue on for next year isnt necessarily about confidence in hue, if hue improves the record next year fine....if its more or less the same he can be fired with no repercussions throughout the league. 

Firing a coach who had to go through two seasobs with the clowns we've run out there at qb, its a rep killer in the league. I agree we prob need an OC sitting up in the booth.?

Isn't amazing that you all called.me a troll for predicting this 2 years ago, and NOW....you slam Hue for everything that you once slamed.me for saying?

"You were right again Ghoolie".

That's the story here. 

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

U sweat when u eat in florida summers i dont care where u are....gulf or atlantic. More hot and humid in PA? Uhhh thats a complete load of bs.

no it isn't....i am from pa. and live in atlanta...its just as hot here as in florida and as far as pa goes...do you know anyone in pa?...i do...i'm 65 and most of my old buds are the same age and there are still some of them moving to florida///dey ain't goin to cleveland...and yes they say it is hotter for some part in pa as it is in florida, I know for me and my wife, because we are older now, that we can tolerate the heat more so than the cold...hmmm, me thinks i heard that from many many people by the way...

43 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Isn't amazing that you all called.me a troll for predicting this 2 years ago, and NOW....you slam Hue for everything that you once slamed.me for saying?

"You were right again Ghoolie".

That's the story here. 

Even the blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.:lol:

37 minutes ago, browns52 said:

no it isn't....i am from pa. and live in atlanta...its just as hot here as in florida and as far as pa goes...do you know anyone in pa?...i do...i'm 65 and most of my old buds are the same age and there are still some of them moving to florida///dey ain't goin to cleveland...and yes they say it is hotter for some part in pa as it is in florida, I know for me and my wife, because we are older now, that we can tolerate the heat more so than the cold...hmmm, me thinks i heard that from many many people by the way...

LOL. My wife thinks I'm crazy for waiting until 10 or 11 am during July/August to go mow the yard. And at 70 I don't have one of those driving mowers either. I just wear shorts and a t-shirt and enjoy the sun for a couple hours.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Even the blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.:lol:

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with me. This is a multi-event, each and every year.

I was convinced Hue wasn't a good HC by the antics before the end of the first half of the first Bengals game last year.

Haslam has stated that Hue's job is secure for 2018.  But he cannot say that Hue's going to be fired until he fires him.  Hue is the offensive coordinator.  It would be rather tumultuous to fire him before the season's end (thus, he cannot say that he'll be fired).

He brought in Dorsey.  I'm certain that he wants to hear Dorsey's opinion of Hue.  And he gave him four games to form an opinion.

The Browns have several NFL caliber players.  Even the worst NFL teams should be able to find a way to win a game or two during a season.  Hue couldn't do that.  His 2 year record will be 1-31.  

Bottom Line:  NFL people thought Haslam was too quick to fire coaches in previous years.  But if he DOESN'T fire a 1-31 coach, NFL people will think the opposite.  You HAVE TO fire a coach with a 1-31 record lest you go down in the history books as a dope.

The Browns are literal geniuses at finding incredible ways to lose.. You just couldn't dream this Sheet up.. Simply amazing.. The Browns aren't just a team that loses.. They are an uncanny anomaly , from the depths of hell. I have seen teams that are perpetual and perennial losers... But my Lord , This team just has it down to a science. I'm completely dumbfounded.... I know that each week when I tune in .. I can sleep till the 4th quarter when I know they will not let me down and find some inexplicable way to botch it up and lose the game...

I want to cordially congratulate Jimmy and Dee Haslam, Hue and his cast of Jack offs and misfits for leaving Our fans, with a legacy that will never be lived down.. Paul and Otto surely are rolling into they're graves.

Man , I need a Fortune Cookie...

13 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I also hope the HC hires an OC

If next head coach doesn't have both coordinators, I'll get mad. It doesn't work in many teams and is one of the main problems Hue has: if you take way too many tasks, it's easier to mishandle some of them.

11 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

U sweat when u eat in florida summers i dont care where u are....gulf or atlantic. More hot and humid in PA? Uhhh thats a complete load of bs. 

I am in Florida and Georgia several times a year. I can tell you that West Virginia has times in the summer where the humidity is more oppressive due to the tree density. 

I say give Hue some decent players, pull off a successful draft, sign a veteran QB, and then decide to keep or fire Hue Jackson. Asking Hue to win with this motley crew is ridiculous. We have lost several games that we should have won because the PLAYERS made stupid mistakes (like Kizer's red zone turnovers, stupid offsides, uneccessary roughness, pass interference, holding calls, etc.) None of those are on the coach. I DO NOT want to start all over again!!

You guys got me on board now.  Hue must go, unless he shows what he really has against the Steelers.  Perhaps he was waiting for the #1 pick overall, but I doubt it.  Now if he gets a really good OC next season that wants to run the offence with out help, then I would say let him stay.

37 minutes ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

I say give Hue some decent players, pull off a successful draft, sign a veteran QB, and then decide to keep or fire Hue Jackson. Asking Hue to win with this motley crew is ridiculous. We have lost several games that we should have won because the PLAYERS made stupid mistakes (like Kizer's red zone turnovers, stupid offsides, uneccessary roughness, pass interference, holding calls, etc.) None of those are on the coach. I DO NOT want to start all over again!!

I say give hue a one way ticket to Cinncitucky!

14 hours ago, browns52 said:

i'll take tampa any day....my wife and i vacation close to tampa every yr...in the summer it gets hot and humid...but let me tell you...alot of times it is hotter and more humid in pennsylvania than it is in tampa...call it global warming or whatever...but it is really not that bad there in the summer...plus you have the gulf of mexico....i'll take that over any lake up north all yr round....regardless of the heat...

Florida?  Flat.  Hot.  Insect infested.  Snake Infested.  Gator infested.  Full of old geezers who can't drive.  No thanks.

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL. My wife thinks I'm crazy for waiting until 10 or 11 am during July/August to go mow the yard. And at 70 I don't have one of those driving mowers either. I just wear shorts and a t-shirt and enjoy the sun for a couple hours.

Image result for Old man mowing lawn in shorts pic

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Tampa is on the Gulf of Mexico. So is Houston and that is a sauna. I spent a summer of heat exhaustion in Beaumont TX right near Port Arthur where Janis Joplin was born. Galveston absolutely sucks in the summer. Its like going to a boiling hell for vacation. New Orleans is another steam bath on the Gulf.

No way PA is that hot and humid.

Beaumont is where I was born and raised until age 12 with no air conditioning. If you just let the mosquitos fan you with their tiny little wings, the mosquito hawks a.k.a. dragonflies will get close enough to really keep you cool if you are in the shade. And if you catch one of those you can tie a piece of thread on his tail to insure he hangs around longer. They make really cheap kites when you're too poor to buy one.:lol:

Archived