THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns are on the clock!

PoeticG

Could we trade SF 3 seconds for their first rounder?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like his breakdowns, don't always agree with everything but gives some insights. 

Damn!!!

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

DAMN!!! Monster.

1 hour ago, thenew23 said:

Feels too much like Richardson/ Weeden, or Gilbert / Manzel... no thanks

Speaking of which-JFF's been cleared by the CFL to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. They have 10 days to sign him and my bet is that the coach, June Jone, wants him on the team from everything I've read.  His style of play works better on the larger field.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Cleveland-Browns-Johnny-Manziel-eligible-to-sign-in-Canadian-Football-League-112828475?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=171228_143844_Cleveland Browns Newsletter&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=1B-C2-1E-69-15-F3-1E-26-47-C2-FB-AF-1F-3D-14-30171228_143844ClevelandBrownsNewsletter

On 12/27/2017 at 8:40 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Ok, so Colts win and we pick 4th?  Let the daydreaming begin.  Oh, and apparently John Dorsey doesn't want anything to do with Josh Rosen, nor does Rosen want to play for us.  Awesome.  So who the heck do we pick #1?  Darnold didn't want to come here either, did he?  And that's if he even comes out, LOL.  

As was reported earlier in the thread, Darnold got peppered with questions about (assuming he declares) what his team preference would be. answer was none- It's an honor to play in the NFL. 

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Darnold and Mayfield and playing the best one. As long as it solves the QB position once and for all... and we never have to trot out the 'potato-head' again. 

On 12/27/2017 at 12:08 PM, Nero said:

About all the chatter with the Draft order... Current pick is #4

If Houston wins, we go ONE SPOT DOWN in each of this cases (2 spots if both cases happen):

- If Denver doesn't win vs Kansas City 

- Tampa Bay doesn't win vs Saints 

If Houston losses, we go one spot up if:

- Tampa Bay wins vs Saints. If Tampa wins, then there would be only Colts and Texans with 4-12, so then it would be head to head and Colts would have won both games. 

If there is a triple tie between those teams, the order is #3 Colts #4 Texans #5 Buccaneers because the tiebreaker is the strength of schedule. It would be ironic because if Colts win they would end up 3rd in AFCS and still pick higher than Texans, which doesn't make any sense to me.

NOTES: 

1. Kansas City has already a playoff berth, and are locked in the 4th seed (Chargers can't overtake them as they lost both head to head matches and can't overtake the Jaguars, I believe because they have a worse record with common rivals)

2. The Saints (4th seed) lost to the Rams, so they can't get 3rd seed. If they lose, BUT Falcons win vs Panthers, they keep the Division title. Falcons not only play at home, but also winning they assure a playoff spot independently of what Seahawks do. 

I used Tankathon and Playoff predictor, I hope all of the above is correct.

I've said it before Nero, and Gipper correctly responded sweeping head to head doesn't factor into draft position, it's only a factor in playoff consideration.   

Straight from the NFL Rulebook:

1) In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

2) If the teams have the same strength of schedule, their records against common opponents in their division or conference are applied, if applicable.

3) If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, ties will be broken by a coin flip.

Simplistically, we want the Texans to lose, and the Bucs to (unlikely) win. If there's a 3 way tie @ 4-12 , it goes to SOS. 

If the Texans win, I'm not even going to hazard a guess where that pick would end up, as there's potentially 5 other teams that could finish 5-11.   

5 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Darnold and Mayfield and playing the best one. As long as it solves the QB position once and for all... and we never have to trot out the 'potato-head' again. 

I thought Kevin Hogan was "picking up steam" and is going to be the starter next season? And, by what you've said too many times to repeat with a straight face, if Crazy Kev is given the chance to start he's a franchise QB, right PoG?

But yet you want to use the Browns TWO first rounders on QBs when there's already a franchise QB on the roster?

You are the worst troll ever.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

I've said it before Nero, and Gipper correctly responded sweeping head to head doesn't factor into draft position, it's only a factor in playoff consideration.   

Straight from the NFL Rulebook:

1) In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

2) If the teams have the same strength of schedule, their records against common opponents in their division or conference are applied, if applicable.

3) If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, ties will be broken by a coin flip. 

If the Texans win, I'm not even going to hazard a guess where that pick would end up, as there's potentially 5 other teams that could finish 5-11.   

I got it, I got it. I remember you saying that earlier, but still didn't make much sense to me (I also looked for the tiebreakers, but hoped they didn't imagine a tiebreaker between division rivals).

Houston's SOS is only better than Denver among the teams that could end up 5-11. That's why if Texans win (they are currently (4-12), we need Denver (5-10) and Tampa (4-12) to win their games not to lose any draft spot. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Simplistically, we want the Texans to lose, and the Bucs to (unlikely) win. If there's a 3 way tie @ 4-12 , it goes to SOS. 

Thanks to SOS being the first tiebreaker, even with teams in the same division, there's no way we can get one spot up if Houston losses even if Buccaneers win, because Colts have a lower SOS than Texans. 

We want a 1. HOU loss or 2. DEN and TB win.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

As was reported earlier in the thread, Darnold got peppered with questions about (assuming he declares) what his team preference would be. answer was none- It's an honor to play in the NFL. 

Yep, we talked about it and it really made me glad to read it. Apparently Darnold is a well-liked kid. He's not quite as clean of a prospect as Rosen to me, but we'll get more information in the coming months for sure. 

The guy people might not want to forget about is Lamar Jackson. Right now he's viewed as more of a project type qb, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Lamar quickly becomes the darling of the draft. Every year we seem to have a guy or two that ascend up the board, and Lamar might be one of them. Especially if he can clean up some technical flaws before the draft. Nobody wants to miss out on the next Deshaun Watson, and while I'm smart enough to know that Lamar doesn't have close to Watson's resume, it's safe to say that Watson's success will influence opinions on an athletic qb. Lamar could especially make sense for us if we bring in a veteran to start like Alex Smith. 

John Dorsey drafted Pat Mahomes last year, and the guy who most resembles him in the draft might be Baker Mayfield. Obviously they differ in size and arm strength, but I think their style is somewhat comparable. Could Baker be the guy coming to town? 

It's going to be a long wait for the draft! 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yep, we talked about it and it really made me glad to read it. Apparently Darnold is a well-liked kid. He's not quite as clean of a prospect as Rosen to me, but we'll get more information in the coming months for sure. 

The guy people might not want to forget about is Lamar Jackson. Right now he's viewed as more of a project type qb, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Lamar quickly becomes the darling of the draft. Every year we seem to have a guy or two that ascend up the board, and Lamar might be one of them. Especially if he can clean up some technical flaws before the draft. Nobody wants to miss out on the next Deshaun Watson, and while I'm smart enough to know that Lamar doesn't have close to Watson's resume, it's safe to say that Watson's success will influence opinions on an athletic qb. Lamar could especially make sense for us if we bring in a veteran to start like Alex Smith. 

John Dorsey drafted Pat Mahomes last year, and the guy who most resembles him in the draft might be Baker Mayfield. Obviously they differ in size and arm strength, but I think their style is somewhat comparable. Could Baker be the guy coming to town? 

It's going to be a long wait for the draft! 

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Speaking of which-JFF's been cleared by the CFL to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. They have 10 days to sign him and my bet is that the coach, June Jone, wants him on the team from everything I've read.  His style of play works better on the larger field.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Cleveland-Browns-Johnny-Manziel-eligible-to-sign-in-Canadian-Football-League-112828475?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=171228_143844_Cleveland Browns Newsletter&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=1B-C2-1E-69-15-F3-1E-26-47-C2-FB-AF-1F-3D-14-30171228_143844ClevelandBrownsNewsletter

Well....it will be interesting to see how he does...assuming he does sign....in a morose kind of way.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

there's no way we can get one spot up if Houston losses even if Buccaneers win, because Colts have a lower SOS than Texans. 

Correct.  Unless the SOS changes for the Colts in a positive way.   (somebody somewhere probably know if that's at all possible)

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....it will be interesting to see how he does...assuming he does sign....in a morose kind of way.

And if he plays well maybe 4 years from now when he is likely a free agent we have a shot at:

DSJ5LWdUIAA5hAq.jpg

40 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I won't lie, I'd turn on a CFL game in August on ESPN 2 if Billy Manziel was playing.

Yea, I probably would too.....to see whether or not it would be a train wreck or not...or if he could play.   I actually think the CFL may be very good for his level and style of play.   Though...he obviously has to keep things straight off the field.  I mean...I guess if he wanted to "party"  you can do worse that being in the Hamilton/Toronto area.    Hamilton comes close to being a suburb of Toronto....only like 75 miles away. 

#1 and #4 Overall picks are set. Who's it going to be? 

23 minutes ago, Suomi said:

I'd prefer that the Browns sign Kirk Cousins and draft Saquon Barkley and Minkah Fitzpatrick in the top 4.  If possible, trade out of the top pick while still getting these guys.

I agree...i think this is one of the fastest roads to quick turnaround.

23 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Any way Baker Mayfield gets out of the first round?

WSS

I believe so. Mayfield is Drew Brees, football on the field-wise. Second round. I think. His red flags need serious

eval.

28 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Any way Baker Mayfield gets out of the first round?

WSS

No way, saints will take him if we dont.

Archived