THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns are on the clock!

PoeticG

13 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Allen has never completed better than 56% of his passes in his college career for a season.....

yeah, he doesn't have star wr's and his offensive line is often outpowered and outquicked. Look at the difference between Mayfield, an amazing college playmaker qb, in the first half, and thenhis second half. It's just inaccurate to put so much emphasis on completion percentage of a qb, without considering that it's a team game. Allen is similar to Elway, except without a very, very competitive cast of other players with him.

It's a team game. I like Darnold and Mayfield, but Allen is NFL class caliber. If Allen falls to Denver at 7, it will be Elway all over again.

Seriously - if completion percentage is the deal, draft this kid:

Honorable Mention: Logan Woodside, Toledo

The Rockets' senior quarterback completed 23 of 31 passes for 361 yards in the win over Northern Illinois on Saturday. After completing 69.1 percent of his throws at 9.88 yards per attempt with 45 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 2016, the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder is connecting on 64.3 percent of his passes at 10.1 yards per attempt with 19 touchdowns and just two picks on the season. Toledo runs a Big 12-ish spread attack, but Woodside has been exceptional operating it over the past two years. He has a nice delivery and quality arm with reliable accuracy. He's a dark horse quarterback prospect. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cal, Allen was on a team with equal talent to everyone else in his conference. The Mountain West isnt overflowing with talent. Last year, Allen had guys around him that made it to the pros. His completion percentage was just as bad as it was this year. The windows for a WR to get open will only get smaller in the big league.

I think we have heard the story of the inaccurate QB in college going to the pros a few times in Cleveland....painfully enough.

22 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Whatever QB they draft, just know that our coaching staff will do a great job to tailor the offense around the QB's strengths  ;)

Sarcasm should be in pink font.

Nobody wants these QBs this year. They ALL have question marks beside them. Don't try to get cute and overthink it. 

You draft Saquon Barkley #1 overall and come right back and take Mayfield at #4. 

QB- Mayfield, Hogan, Kizer

RB- Barkley, Johnson, Dayes

WR- Gordon, Coleman, Higgins

TE- Njoku, DeValve 

It's time to get offensive. The defense will be okay if we could just put some pressure on the other team for a change. 

Plus we still have 3 #2s. 

The early picks are going to be VERY dependent on what we do in March during free agency. Specifically, what we do at the QB position. Browns fans will groan at reading this, but if we get one of the 2 qb's I want during the off season (Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins), we don't need to draft someone at 1 or 4. Smith is obviously getting older, but I'd be more than fine going into the season with Smith and Kizer backing him up. Same thing with Cousins, and while they both would be financially expensive, neither would cost draft picks unless we had to trade for Smith if he wasn't released. 

Here's a real scenario that could happen:  We sign Smith/Cousins for stupid money. We trade #1 to move down to low teens and get 1st rounder and more next year. We draft Minkah Fitzpatrick at 4. We draft Calvin Ridley with other 1st rounder. We then draft RB Darius Guice or RB Bryce Love in 2nd round, then we add two more defenders with the other 2nd rounders, and add OL in the 3rd. 

This is essentially a new team, and it's not impossible. In fact, it's far from it. Obviously it'll be difficult to get Smith or Cousins to come here, I'm not stupid. Those are the top qb's and everyone without one will be gunning for them. If I had to guess, Alex Smith will go to Denver, and Cousins is either staying put or going to a team that isn't 0-16. But don't underestimate the power of the almighty dollar. 

It goes without saying that Kizer struggled this season. But he also looked better when he had Josh Gordon on the field (duh). In fact, Kizer played well enough to actually WIN a couple games with Gordon on the field, and it was truly amazing to see just how a star caliber player affected the game. You saw glimpses of how our offense COULD work successfully. Obviously we shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and special teams, but Kizer should've won the Green Bay game with the pass to Njoku, and we know what happened with Coleman Sunday. The real killer was that Kizer didn't see Gordon in the middle of the field on that play. Gordon doesn't just make that catch, he goes on for the TOUCHDOWN. Don't believe me? Go back (if you dare) and watch that play. Gordon is on the edge of the screen with nobody around him. 

Anyway, back to the draft. If we DON'T get a starting QB in free agency, we'll be forced to draft a QB early who probably isn't ready to play. The more I study these incoming guys, the less I think ANY are ready, let alone ready for "The Browns". I just don't see it. Rosen is by far the most ready, but he's got freaking concussion issues. Darnold is a turnover machine, Lamar is a project, Josh Allen is just NO and Baker Mayfield has question marks as well. I firmly believe our entire philosophy is "get a veteran starting QB at all costs", and I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I mean, if we draft a QB #1 overall, do any of you guys REALLY think he's going to beat out Deshone Kizer? Now that you've stopped laughing, think about it. Hue Jackson and his offense are coming back, regardless of having a new OC or not. Kizer will enter the off season knowing the language, the sets, how to call plays, the blocking assignments, and whatever else. And did I mention Kizer is 21 years old? That's freaking YOUNG, and he's going to put work in. I just don't see how a rookie could beat him out...not in this class. 

Veteran QB and veteran wide receivers, that's what Dorsey is looking for on offense. We'll get the RB in the draft, as it's VERY deep. Defense will be drafted and also addressed in free agency. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, Teddy Twatwater...those are the guys we'll be targeting. Am I missing anyone? Get ready for a new team and crazy off-season. 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:
  1. I firmly believe our entire philosophy is "get a veteran starting QB at all costs"... Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, Teddy Twatwater...those are the guys we'll be targeting.
  2. Kizer will enter the off season knowing the language, the sets, how to call plays, the blocking assignments, and whatever else. And did I mention Kizer is 21 years old? That's freaking YOUNG, and he's going to put work in. I just don't see how a rookie could beat him out...not in this class. 
  1. I don't think you are wrong... just not specific enough. Not just any vet QB will do as about half the names strung onto the jersey testify. Smith is the only name we have a good shot at. Cousins will go to a contender for less money than we offer. Vikes will keep Case and Teddy. Sam? Maybe, but his health concerns and spotty career would just add to the jersey.
  2. There's one QB in this class that would blow by Kizer before the 3rd preseason game of 2018 and at least two more that would likely beat him out by the start of the regular season. Kizer simply stopped progressing the last 1/4 of the season.

32. We
31. Should
30. Stop
29. Trying
28. To
27. Predict
26. The
25. Order
24. Of
23. The
22. 2019
21. Draft
20. Because
19. The
18. NFL
17. Is
16. So
15. Wildly
14. Random
13. And
12. Teams
11. Can
10. Turn
9. It
8. All
7. Around
6. In
5. Just
4. One
3. Off
2. Season
1. Browns

The Browns need to go QB #1, whoever they believe is the best QB even if he has to sit out a year. And #4 should be the best player available for me thats Fitzpatrick, Chubb(NCSU), or Derwin James. I wouldn't look at a RB in the first.

12 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The early picks are going to be VERY dependent on what we do in March during free agency. Specifically, what we do at the QB position. Browns fans will groan at reading this, but if we get one of the 2 qb's I want during the off season (Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins), we don't need to draft someone at 1 or 4. Smith is obviously getting older, but I'd be more than fine going into the season with Smith and Kizer backing him up. Same thing with Cousins, and while they both would be financially expensive, neither would cost draft picks unless we had to trade for Smith if he wasn't released. 

Here's a real scenario that could happen:  We sign Smith/Cousins for stupid money. We trade #1 to move down to low teens and get 1st rounder and more next year. We draft Minkah Fitzpatrick at 4. We draft Calvin Ridley with other 1st rounder. We then draft RB Darius Guice or RB Bryce Love in 2nd round, then we add two more defenders with the other 2nd rounders, and add OL in the 3rd. 

This is essentially a new team, and it's not impossible. In fact, it's far from it. Obviously it'll be difficult to get Smith or Cousins to come here, I'm not stupid. Those are the top qb's and everyone without one will be gunning for them. If I had to guess, Alex Smith will go to Denver, and Cousins is either staying put or going to a team that isn't 0-16. But don't underestimate the power of the almighty dollar. 

It goes without saying that Kizer struggled this season. But he also looked better when he had Josh Gordon on the field (duh). In fact, Kizer played well enough to actually WIN a couple games with Gordon on the field, and it was truly amazing to see just how a star caliber player affected the game. You saw glimpses of how our offense COULD work successfully. Obviously we shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and special teams, but Kizer should've won the Green Bay game with the pass to Njoku, and we know what happened with Coleman Sunday. The real killer was that Kizer didn't see Gordon in the middle of the field on that play. Gordon doesn't just make that catch, he goes on for the TOUCHDOWN. Don't believe me? Go back (if you dare) and watch that play. Gordon is on the edge of the screen with nobody around him. 

Anyway, back to the draft. If we DON'T get a starting QB in free agency, we'll be forced to draft a QB early who probably isn't ready to play. The more I study these incoming guys, the less I think ANY are ready, let alone ready for "The Browns". I just don't see it. Rosen is by far the most ready, but he's got freaking concussion issues. Darnold is a turnover machine, Lamar is a project, Josh Allen is just NO and Baker Mayfield has question marks as well. I firmly believe our entire philosophy is "get a veteran starting QB at all costs", and I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I mean, if we draft a QB #1 overall, do any of you guys REALLY think he's going to beat out Deshone Kizer? Now that you've stopped laughing, think about it. Hue Jackson and his offense are coming back, regardless of having a new OC or not. Kizer will enter the off season knowing the language, the sets, how to call plays, the blocking assignments, and whatever else. And did I mention Kizer is 21 years old? That's freaking YOUNG, and he's going to put work in. I just don't see how a rookie could beat him out...not in this class. 

Veteran QB and veteran wide receivers, that's what Dorsey is looking for on offense. We'll get the RB in the draft, as it's VERY deep. Defense will be drafted and also addressed in free agency. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, Teddy Twatwater...those are the guys we'll be targeting. Am I missing anyone? Get ready for a new team and crazy off-season. 

Sorry, just no. Even if we get Smith, we're taking a qb with the first pick, especially now that Darnold and Rosen have declared. Dorsey has his marching orders to get the QBOTF. They will sit behind the bridge QB, and Alex Smith is the perfect bridge. Cousins isn't coming here for a lot of reasons. He's only going to a contending team on a long term contract with top 5 QB money attached. We might possibly trade out of the #4, but I doubt it. The fans are absolutely sick of this trade down BS. The only trade down from #1 I see happening is flipping picks with the Giants if Rosen makes it known he doesn't want to play for the Browns. 

Kizer is going to be third string next year. As Tour said, Rosen\Darnold\Mayfield will have Kizer beaten out by the third preseason game. 

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. I don't think you are wrong... just not specific enough. Not just any vet QB will do as about half the names strung onto the jersey testify. Smith is the only name we have a good shot at. Cousins will go to a contender for less money than we offer. Vikes will keep Case and Teddy. Sam? Maybe, but his health concerns and spotty career would just add to the jersey.
  2. There's one QB in this class that would blow by Kizer before the 3rd preseason game of 2018 and at least two more that would likely beat him out by the start of the regular season. Kizer simply stopped progressing the last 1/4 of the season.

Me and you feel the same way about Rosen. My biggest concern is that he has a history of concussion, and THAT scares me to death. I'm not sure what the status is with his shoulder, but the concussion issue is real, and it's one that could not only take a guy out for multiple games, it could take someone out for their CAREER. We Browns fans know about concussions and qb's all too well, we know it doesn't take much for one to pop up. Kessler never came back after his last one. 

In beginning to feel it's "Alex Smith or Bust" in 2018, and that's NOT a great feeling. The only other possibility is we get creative in the trade game and shock the world by trading for a QB that nobody expects to be let go. Andrew Luck? Maybe. But it's like the Sam Bradford dilemma regarding injury. What about Andy Dalton? People always say McCarron, but Dalton could be an option too. Tyrod Taylor? Ehhh...no thanks, but still an upgrade. 

I just have this feeling that we're going to make something big happen. It feels like we already have a plan. Maybe I'm wrong, but Dorsey has been dropping hints. Again, just a feeling, and I could be full of crap on this one (like usual). 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I just have this feeling that we're going to make something big happen. It feels like we already have a plan. Maybe I'm wrong, but Dorsey has been dropping hints. Again, just a feeling, and I could be full of crap on this one (like usual). 

Well lets hope it doesn't turn into this. But it is the Browns:D

GM time.  I hear rumors that the Seahawks might be willing to trade Earl Thomas.  Would y'all be willing to trade #4 overall for Thomas + #18 overall?  Maybe they can add Sherman, who's coming off Achilles surgery but recovering well, to sweeten the pot?  So...

To CLE:

Earl Thomas

Richard Sherman

#18 overall

To SEA:

#4 overall

Pretty fun trade, though unlikely.

17 minutes ago, JimboJones said:

GM time.  I hear rumors that the Seahawks might be willing to trade Earl Thomas.  Would y'all be willing to trade #4 overall for Thomas + #18 overall?  Maybe they can add Sherman, who's coming off Achilles surgery but recovering well, to sweeten the pot?  So...

To CLE:

Earl Thomas

Richard Sherman

#18 overall

To SEA:

#4 overall

Pretty fun trade, though unlikely.

Too much age at this point.   I would rather just draft the top safety/CB.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Too much age at this point.   I would rather just draft the top safety/CB.

I thought about that but elite Safeties like Thomas usually play at a pretty high level into their mid 30's and in rare cases like Charles Woodson, they make the Pro Bowl at 39 lol.

I think we have enough draft picks this year and last year to get a ton of top young talent, but maybe they need some elite vets like Thomas and a wildcard like Sherman who may or may not still be a shutdown corner after his surgery.  Not often are players who are considered one of the best of all time at their position become available in their prime.

We'd still be getting the #18 overall which is a VERY great talent and every year a stud drops to around that point who has the talent to go top 10.

Nfl Draft Game 2018
Logged in as: PoeticG
Your Team: Cleveland Browns
Let's get this draft started!

Current Pick:
Round 1 Pick 1
Team: Browns

Cleveland Browns are on the clock.

Player Yr School Pos Proj Day
Arden Key Jr LSU DE 1
Austin Bryant Jr Clemson DE 1
Bradley Chubb Sr North Carolina State DE 1
Calvin Ridley Jr Alabama WR 1
Christian Kirk Jr Texas AM WR 1
Christian Wilkins Jr Clemson DT 1
Clelin Ferrell rSo Clemson DE 1
Connor Williams Jr Texas OT 1
DaRon Payne Jr Alabama DT 1
Denzel Ward Jr Ohio State CB 1
Derrius Guice Jr LSU RB 1
Derwin James rSo Florida State SS/FS 1
Equanimeous St. Brown Jr Notre Dame WR 1
Harold Landry Sr Boston College OLB/DE 1
Josh Allen rJr Wyoming QB 1
Josh Rosen Jr UCLA QB 1
Lamar Jackson Jr Louisville QB 1
Maurice Hurst rSr Michigan DT 1
Minkah Fitzpatrick Jr Alabama CB/FS 1
Orlando Brown rJr Oklahoma OT 1
Quenton Nelson rJr Notre Dame OG 1
Roquan Smith Jr Georgia ILB 1
Sam Darnold rSo Southern California QB 1
Saquon Barkley Jr Penn State RB 1
Tarvarus McFadden Jr Florida State CB 1

- It's about to get real. Real fast.

Next 5 Picks:
Round 1 Pick 2: NYG
Round 1 Pick 3: IND
Round 1 Pick 4: CLE
Round 1 Pick 5: DEN
Round 1 Pick 6: NYJ

View Draft Summary
View Remaining Players

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1
Round 1 Pick 4
Round 2 Pick 1
Round 2 Pick 4
Round 2 Pick 30
Round 3 Pick 1
Round 4 Pick 1
Round 4 Pick 28
Round 5 Pick 1
Round 5 Pick 24
Round 6 Pick 1
Round 7 Pick 1

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick

The game this year shows our biggest needs at QB, RB, WR. Obviously we need to upgrade our offense.

I feel like we're in a good place. Much better than the one the media likes to paint. Yeah, Kizer sucks, just about as bad as every other QB we've had. I think if you put 1/2 of Andersons' season and the other half of Hoyer's, we'd have what? - maybe one solid season at QB? But, let's keep an open mind, there's more than one way to tan a turkey... It's time to get this thing right. 

This will be interesting. 

Here's the first offer I've received... for the first overall? Where's the Redskins when you need em? 

Current Pick:
Round 1 Pick 1

Trade Offers:

Team They Get You Get
NY Jets Round 1 Pick 1 (1) Round 1 Pick 6 (6)
2019 Round 1 Pick
Round 2 Pick 6 (38)
Oakland Round 1 Pick 1 (1) Round 1 Pick 10 (10)
Round 2 Pick 10 (42)
Round 3 Pick 10 (74)
Cincinnati Round 1 Pick 1 (1) Round 1 Pick 12 (12)
Round 2 Pick 12 (44)
Round 3 Pick 12 (76)
Washington Round 1 Pick 1 (1) Round 1 Pick 13 (13)
Round 2 Pick 13 (45)
Round 3 Pick 13 (77)

Just for laughs, let's say we decided to trade the Number one overall to Cincy, for Dalton and McCarron- plus! the offer on the table. Cincy wants their newest red head and they'll get their Darnold Ronald MacDonald looking mofo lol

So we're moving back and getting Hue's "guy" Dalton and McCarron. Kizer goes to the bench as the 3. Kessler is cut and Hogan goes to New England. 

Bengals are on the clock... 

-Well, haha. That didn't work out, they just took Orlando Brown #1 overall. 

Okay, so Cincy keeps Dalton and we get McCarron and Burfict instead. (Browns get- McCarron/Burfict and Cincy's 1st, 2nd and 3rd)

The Giants go ahead and take Darnold. 

The Jet's then jump us and trade with the Colts to draft Rosen just before we're on the clock. 

It's okay though, we really like Mayfield anyways :) 

The Browns are on the clock...

After debating on whether or not to go a different route, taking Williams OT from texas to begin to replace the legend at LT and Vita Vea to put next to Shelton and create a Ham AND Pineapple pizza, I decided to go after one of our biggest needs- RB(Since I believe in Gordon being our #1 WR and recently selecting Corey Coleman in the first round, plus I've already agreed to terms with Terrel Pryor for a 3 year deal. And QB is no longer the biggest need since I went and got Hue "his guy" in McCarron)

The Browns select- Saquon Barkley! To the delight of many barking Browns Fans.

Indy is back at the wheeling and dealing. They are offering 3!!! second round picks to move back up. Silly Colts, I'll take that and 'own' the second round with 7!!! selections. lol I love this game.

... or maybe I'll make that pizza? Damn, now I'm torn... and hungry. What should we do? Take the 2nd round picks or take Vita to pair with Shelton? That could put the front 7 over the top!

So- 

1) 7 picks in the 2nd round

-or-

2)Take Vita at 12 and create a NASTY front 7?

56 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Here's the first offer I've received... for the first overall? Where's the Redskins when you need em? 

Current Pick:
Round 1 Pick 1

Trade Offers:

Team They Get You Get
2019 Round 1 Pick
Round 2 Pick 6 (38)
Round 2 Pick 10 (42)
Round 3 Pick 10 (74)
Round 2 Pick 12 (44)
Round 3 Pick 12 (76)
Round 2 Pick 13 (45)
Round 3 Pick 13 (77)

screw those offers.  Im staying put and taking Rosen

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Current Pick:
Round 1 Pick 1

Trade Offers:

Team They Get You Get
2019 Round 1 Pick
Round 2 Pick 6 (38)
Round 2 Pick 10 (42)
Round 3 Pick 10 (74)
Round 2 Pick 12 (44)
Round 3 Pick 12 (76)
Round 2 Pick 13 (45)
Round 3 Pick 13 (77)

I take that Jets offer 10 out of 10 times (and have in first-pick drafts) . I end up drafting 4 picks in round 1. You have 4 and 6, swing the 2019 Jets and a 2 for around pick 10 and bundle 2's and 3's to draft in the 20's. You easily get Barkley, Fitzpatrick , a top tier WR and a QB like Allen or Mayfield. 

All right, after the first play-through, feeling pretty confident that we can get this fixed really soon. Here's what I came up with...

Nfl Draft Game 2018
Logged in as: PoeticG

Your Team: Cleveland Browns
GAME OVER!

Your score is: 20996 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 4: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (A+)
Round 1 Pick 22 (BUF): Vita Vea, DT, Washington (B)
Round 2 Pick 1: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 3 (IND): Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 4: Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 6 (NYJ): Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (A-)
Round 2 Pick 12 (CINN): Marcus Allen, FS, Penn State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 1: Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (A)
Round 3 Pick 12 (CINN): Donte Jackson, CB, LSU (A)
Round 4 Pick 1: Frank Ragnow, C/OG, Arkansas (A)
Round 5 Pick 1: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6 (NYJ): Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama (A-)
Round 7 Pick 18 (NYJ): Aidan Schneider, K, Oregon (A)

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick

Archived