THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns are on the clock!

PoeticG

Barkley is even better than Richardson was coming out. 

Richardson had huge holes to run through at Alabama and had somewhat questionable vision. Barkley... I mean what else do you need to see him do. He's fast, he's strong, he can catch, he can block, he has vision, some of the most incredible balance I've ever seen and he's can play football. He's exciting to watch, he has another gear... He is someone that will keep the defense's awake at night gameplanning against. Watch and tell me a QB that has issues is more of a sure thing. You take the SURE THING #1 then gamble with the 4th. 

Tell me you wouldn't spend the #1 overall on Jim Brown because he a RB. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to create some real buzz, take Barkley first and Mayfield at 4. 

Mayfield, Barkley, and Gordon. That's pretty good firepower. 

4 hours ago, thenew23 said:

Your score is: 21280 (GRADE: A-) 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA (A)
Round 1 Pick 4: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 4: Vita Vea, DT, Washington (A-)
Round 2 Pick 30: Marcus Allen, FS, Penn State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 1: Hercules Mataafa, OLB, Washington State (A)
Round 4 Pick 1: Donte Jackson, CB, LSU (A+)
Round 4 Pick 28: Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1: Nyheim Hines, RB, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 24: Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia (B+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A-)
Round 7 Pick 1: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland (A)

3 hours ago, thenew23 said:

We get our Aikman, Emmett, Irvin trio and a bunch of great players...

Lol...

This is nowhere near what the real draft will look like. Closer to draft time, this site gets a little more interesting.

nope, were good bring them all to camp 

12 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

If he had stayed in Cleveland, he's still better than Crowfell or Duke Fumbleson.

Fumbleson has lost 1 fumble in 3 years & 2 after pass completion..Say your sorry:P..Bonus points on Crowfell..lmao  

The virus is mutating.

First we had a case of Hogan, now a severe case of reaching Barkley.

Give the virus more time and PoG will drool about a kicker in the second round. 

7 hours ago, Babernakle said:

I just don't get it the browns line sucks butt, And you guy want a rb? He's not going to do anything.  If watching the cowboys has taught us anything it's that even if your rb is elite he can't do Sheet without an elite line.  Zeek is the best all around back I have ever seen running catching blocking but with out his left tackle they struggled.  Dorsey will make great pick he's proved that especially in the later rounds finding diamonds in the rough.  But atleast the first three picks need to be qb center tackle period. 

I thought everyone told me in another post that the OL was fine and the least of worries with DL.

9 minutes ago, SissyBoyFloyd said:

I thought everyone told me in another post that the OL was fine and the least of worries with DL.

Joe Thomas will be entering his 12th season, after missing most of his 11th. Shon Coleman was iffy at best last year at RT. I think the interior guys are fine, but OTackle should be a draft priority IMO. I would hope they would consider taking Joe's eventual replacement by the time the Browns five 1st and 2nd rounders are taken.

28 minutes ago, SissyBoyFloyd said:

Well. It's good comparing to the rest of the team. But even the best corps of the team need depth. The thing is, it is not logical to use top picks on Olinemen when there are many bigger holes in the team. 

Also, Babernackle has been on a ''Our line sucks'' crusade for most of the season, but he has earned few adepts on that I'd say ;)

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Barkley is even better than Richardson was coming out. 

Richardson had huge holes to run through at Alabama and had somewhat questionable vision. Barkley... I mean what else do you need to see him do. He's fast, he's strong, he can catch, he can block, he has vision, some of the most incredible balance I've ever seen and he's can play football. He's exciting to watch, he has another gear... He is someone that will keep the defense's awake at night gameplanning against. Watch and tell me a QB that has issues is more of a sure thing. You take the SURE THING #1 then gamble with the 4th. 

Loved Trent. But Barkley's overrated. Dude needs better numbers on a down to down basis. The big play won't be there in the NFL.

9 hours ago, PoeticG said:

If you want to create some real buzz, take Barkley first and Mayfield at 4. 

Mayfield, Barkley, and Gordon. That's pretty good firepower. 

The odds of Barkley being there @ #4 are way better than Rosen\ Darnold are. 

I don't see Saquon as a transcendent back the likes of Bo Jackson or JIm Brown either PO. Fournette good? Maybe. 

So Po, here's a question for you. What do Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, and Barry Sanders all have in common? 

A: NONE Of them were drafted #1 overall. Brown 6th, Payton 4th, Smith 17th, Sanders 3rd. So can the talk Barkley is worth the #1 overall. We can upgrade Crowell without blowing the #1 overall on a running back. You're already getting a Richardson fixation on this guy. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

I don't see Saquon as a transcendent back the likes of Bo Jackson or JIm Brown either PO. Fournette good? Maybe.

Fornette routinely breaks tackles and gets yards after first contact. I don't see that with Barkley,  just a lot of speed that will get negated by the speed of the NFL defensive game. Overrated.

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Fornette routinely breaks tackles and gets yards after first contact. I don't see that with Barkley,  just a lot of speed that will get negated by the speed of the NFL defensive game. Overrated.

I tend to agree.  There's no denying Barkley is a special talent, but I just don't know if he's the type of back we need.  I'm not saying he isn't, I just need to delve into his film a bit more.  I want to see the games where he had like 50 yards.  I want to see if he's able to break tackles and get the extra yard or two on 3rd down.  I want to see if he can pick up the blitz and block like an NFL back (something most rookie RB struggle with).  

There's something else to consider too.  Like I said on a previous post, much of our draft will largely depend on the moves we make in free agency.  Specifically, if we trade for or sign Alex Smith, I think drafting Barkley makes a TON of sense.  Anybody remember the two young guys on the Chiefs that tortured so many defenses?  Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt.  Perhaps Saquon Barkley and Duke Johnson can be OUR VERSION, and nobody gets the ball to the backs like Alex Smith.  We could have formations with Duke lined up in the slot, and Barkley in the backfield.  Toss in Njoku, Gordon (please God), and Coleman...and that's pretty dang funky.  I'm not sure what to do with the #4 pick (assuming we draft Barkley #1).  Would we still draft a QB because of Smith's age?  Probably.  Or maybe we go QB #1 and get Barkley at #4.  Whatever.  But none of this matters until we lock up Alex Smith, and that's going to be tough.  The Chiefs gave up some valuable resources to move up for Pat Mahomes (I don't remember specifics), so you can bet they're going to be looking for some ammunition in the 2018 draft.  We HAVE the ammunition....now MAKE the deal.  

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My bad analogy Ag. As has been pointed out, he's disappeared in a bunch of games too. That's a concern. MHO is we'd be better served drafting a RB and Joe Thomas' eventual replacement with the second round picks.

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

The odds of Barkley being there @ #4 are way better than Rosen\ Darnold are. 

So Po, here's a question for you. What do Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, and Barry Sanders all have in common? 

A: NONE Of them were drafted #1 overall. Brown 6th, Payton 4th, Smith 17th, Sanders 3rd. So can the talk Barkley is worth the #1 overall. We can upgrade Crowell without blowing the #1 overall on a running back. You're already getting a Richardson fixation on this guy. 

Just to give a clue:    there has not been a RB drafted #1 overall since Kijana Carter in 1995.   During the Common draft era....1966 to present, seven RBs have been taken #1 overall...with somewhat mixed results:

1995 Kijana Carter

1986 Bo Jackson

1981 George Rogers

1980 Billy Sims

1978 Earl Campbell

1977 Ricky Bell

1969 OJ Simpson

Only OJ and Earl lived up to their draft position.  Jackson may have if: A. he had not played baseball and B. not gotten hurt.   Sims was pretty good, Rogers was serviceable.  Carter and Bell were busts....a lot due to injury.

I doubt that the Browns will break the now 23 year streak of no #1 overall RB.

19 hours ago, Nero said:

First we had a case of Hogan, now a severe case of reacharounding Barkley.

FIFY...

19 hours ago, PoeticG said:

In 2018? No, I probably would not. In today's game I do not see Jim Brown dominating the way he did in the 50's and 60's when he was a big as most linemen and ran a 4.4, which was rare.

But more to the point... I do not see Jim Brown when I watch Saquon Barkley.

Here's one with NO trades, where I went run heavy. Track-Meet.

Your score is: 21053 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (A)
Round 1 Pick 4: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU (B+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (B+)
Round 2 Pick 4: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (A+)  - Really wanted to take Mayfield here... would make it interesting with both Barkley AND Guice! 
Round 2 Pick 30: Marcus Allen, FS, Penn State (A+) - Allen is 
Round 3 Pick 1: Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (A+)
Round 4 Pick 28: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A)
Round 5 Pick 1: JK Scott, P, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 24: Folorunso Fatukasi, DT, Connecticut (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 7 Pick 1: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama (A)

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick

I've seen numerous people who don't want the Browns to draft Barkley say he's no Leonard Fournette.

Inadvertently, this might be the best argument not to take ANY RB this high in the draft, since Leonard Fournette might not be Leonard Fournette.

Fournette averaged all of 3.9 yards per carry. Now, I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, he might in fact have a great career, but really good RBs can be found throughout the draft.

Teams have loaded their rosters with players to stop the air attack. That's why RB can be such a dangerous weapon if you have the right pieces. If you were to draft Barkley, Guice and Penny. You would literally be able to run the ball non-stop and the defense would just be gassed. It would be nearly unstoppable. 

Cleveland COULD draft Barkley and Guice and really the NFL couldn't do anything about it. Track meet. 

If the stars aligned and Mayfield fell to the second... Barkley, Guice and Mayfield. 

Maybe pushing it a little with the RB but really think about it for a minute. 

Hogan/Mayfield/Kizer with Barkley, Guice, Duke, Gordon, Coleman and add Pryor in FA. A little Njoku and Devalve, pick up the nastiest FB available and it's off to the races on gameday. :)

Archived