THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2018 schedule

The Gipper

The Browns 2018 schedule is pretty well set, in terms of who they are going to play next year.  Note, they will obviously be playing the home and home with their division foes.  They will play the round robin with teams from the AFC West, and from the NFC South.  They will then also play the last place teams from the AFC South and the AFC East.  So, here are their opponents:

Home:

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Kansas City, LA Chargers,  Atlanta, Carolina, and the NY Jets

Away:

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Denver, the Raiders, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Indianapolis Colts

In theory it is possible that this may change.  If the Colts defeat the Texans on Sunday, they will each be at a record of 4-12.  We would have to figure out the tiebreaker between them as to who would be considered the last place team.

Similarly, in the AFC East, the Jets right now are at 5-10, and the Dolphins are at 6-9.  If the Jets win and Dolphins lose they would be tied....and then the tiebreakers would apply.  

But, note, the Jets are playing the Pats....in Foxboro I believe....who are going for home field advantage.....so it is fat chance that the Jets would win.  Also, the Dolphins play the Bills, who are shooting for a playoff spot.  But I believe that game is being held in Miami.  So I think that the schedule as I printed above is going to be solid, except for that Colts/DAT matchup which could change things. 

Also....a question to be asked:   are the Raiders continuing to play in Oakland next year?   I don't think they are scheduled to move to Vegas for another couple of years, are they?

I haven't been paying attention, but are fans still going to Oakland games?

Could you imagine if when Modell moved the Browns we had known since the end of the '93 season? So all of '94 and '95 we would have known they were moving to Baltimore? It would have been a ghost town during Browns games for those two seasons.

More disturbing history, just in case you're sick and tired of the division beat downs we've suffered for many seasons......Browns are 2-13 all time in Denver, riding a 13 game losing streak there dating back to 1972, and only 5-23 all time vs them including playoffs. 

I admit, I was one of the fans who thought we were turning this thing around, starting this season. I'm an optimistic person in general. Now I look ahead to 2018, and the NFC South might be the strongest division in football; remember in 2014, when Carolina won that division with a 7-9 record? We were 3-1 vs that division that season (lost @Carolina behind Johnny wetting the bed).

Time to turn this thing around. ...Jimmy, stay out of Dorsey's way.

I don't know what you think about those divisions, but I feel like AFC West is going down while AFC South is scary as hell. 

In AFC West the teams have either no QB or an aging QB and players (Chargers, Denver, maybe KC), or a bad coach with an ugly defense and run game (OAK). Maybe the ones that could become contenders are the Chargers but I don't see an ideal situation (fanbase, Rivers isn't getting younger...). Denver doesn't look pretty, KC has salary cap problems (and a QB situation).... 

In NFC South, meanwhile, I don't see a unit getting old, Saints could keep improving their defense (big question mark on Brees), Buccaneers, well, everyone is waiting for them to improve their game, Newton and the cast around him are young and Atlanta may be suffering the SB loss, but has a young defense and playmakers. 

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The Browns 2018 schedule is pretty well set, in terms of who they are going to play next year.  Note, they will obviously be playing the home and home with their division foes.  They will play the round robin with teams from the AFC West, and from the NFC South.  They will then also play the last place teams from the AFC South and the AFC East.  So, here are their opponents:

Home:

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Kansas City, LA Chargers,  Atlanta, Carolina, and the NY Jets

Away:

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Denver, the Raiders, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Indianapolis Colts

In theory it is possible that this may change.  If the Colts defeat the Texans on Sunday, they will each be at a record of 4-12.  We would have to figure out the tiebreaker between them as to who would be considered the last place team.

Similarly, in the AFC East, the Jets right now are at 5-10, and the Dolphins are at 6-9.  If the Jets win and Dolphins lose they would be tied....and then the tiebreakers would apply.  

But, note, the Jets are playing the Pats....in Foxboro I believe....who are going for home field advantage.....so it is fat chance that the Jets would win.  Also, the Dolphins play the Bills, who are shooting for a playoff spot.  But I believe that game is being held in Miami.  So I think that the schedule as I printed above is going to be solid, except for that Colts/DAT matchup which could change things. 

Also....a question to be asked:   are the Raiders continuing to play in Oakland next year?   I don't think they are scheduled to move to Vegas for another couple of years, are they?

if the colts win they will be 3rd with 2 wins against the texans. I want to go back to Houston again so that is how I want it to go.

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

I don't know what you think about those divisions, but I feel like AFC West is going down while AFC South is scary as hell. 

In AFC West the teams have either no QB or an aging QB and players (Chargers, Denver, maybe KC), or a bad coach with an ugly defense and run game (OAK). Maybe the ones that could become contenders are the Chargers but I don't see an ideal situation (fanbase, Rivers isn't getting younger...). Denver doesn't look pretty, KC has salary cap problems (and a QB situation).... 

In NFC South, meanwhile, I don't see a unit getting old, Saints could keep improving their defense (big question mark on Brees), Buccaneers, well, everyone is waiting for them to improve their game, Newton and the cast around him are young and Atlanta may be suffering the SB loss, but has a young defense and playmakers. 

Well, Drew Brees will be 39 years old come about 2 weeks from now  (January 15th).    If you consider a QB a "unit" and I think you should, there is one unit that is getting old.    

Besides that, I believe he is a Free agent at the end of the year.  In theory...he could move on if he wants....or the Saints could say Sayonara to him if they want.....not that I think that is what either side wants.

59 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Home:

Away:

Haven't been to New Orleans yet. Tampa would be a cheap trip for me, Allegiant Air has budget nonstop flights to Tampa\St. Pete, and I have a place to stay. (you can bet Zombo will make the drive up from Naples) Indy is a shorter drive than Cleveland. It will depend what part of the season those game are. Previous game in Tampa was in October, and it was 95 degrees in the shade.  :(  

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Haven't been to New Orleans yet. Tampa would be a cheap trip for me, Allegiant Air has budget nonstop flights to Tampa\St. Pete, and I have a place to stay. (you can bet Zombo will make the drive up from Naples) Indy is a shorter drive than Cleveland. It will depend what part of the season those game are. Previous game in Tampa was in October, and it was 95 degrees in the shade.  :(  

Orleans would be cool, we are planning for Houston again and possibly Oakland but we are flexible and NO would be a great trip.

8 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

if the colts win they will be 3rd with 2 wins against the texans. I want to go back to Houston again so that is how I want it to go.

Yes....we root for a Colts win then.  For the draft pick.

Now, if that happens, then the Browns would be playing in all of the following:   Tampa,  New Orleans, and Houston.

In other words:  All the teams on the Gulf of Mexico....i.e.:  Hurricane Alley.    With Global warming is there any doubt that it is possible that one of those games would be affected by a hurricane?  That is what partially messed up my trip plans to go to Houston last year. 

Now, a late October...early November...even into early December in New Orleans could be a trip worth considering.....since that is what I had planned for last year which fell through. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Yes....we root for a Colts win then.  For the draft pick.

Now, if that happens, then the Browns would be playing in all of the following:   Tampa,  New Orleans, and Houston.

In other words:  All the teams on the Gulf of Mexico....i.e.:  Hurricane Alley.    With Global warming is there any doubt that it is possible that one of those games would be affected by a hurricane?  That is what partially messed up my trip plans to go to Houston last year. 

Now, a late October...early November...even into early December in New Orleans could be a trip worth considering.....since that is what I had planned for last year which fell through. 

The Gulf Coast theme makes for fun trips, Id put off a Cali trip for another season to follow that theme.

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yea,.....and next year they will probably schedule for like early/mid Sept.....when it will be 100+ in the shade.  If they do have to do that triple Gulf Coast swing....1 or 2 of those games will be played in the sauna  (though I know that N.O. plays in a dome....don't the Texans also play in a dome?)

2 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

The Gulf Coast theme makes for fun trips, Id put off a Cali trip for another season to follow that theme.

See this thread from last year.   This was my trip that got waylaid due to  costs/time/weather.  I could consider doing some part or all of it again.

It would, as I said, be much better to do in like Mid November  when the oppressive heat and humidity is gone from the Gulf region.

How about this:  Have the Browns play in back to back road games in New Orleans and Houston. You could make a complete 8-9 day trip of it.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

See this thread from last year.   This was my trip that got waylaid due to  costs/time/weather.  I could consider doing some part or all of it again.

It would, as I said, be much better to do in like Mid November  when the oppressive heat and humidity is gone from the Gulf region.

How about this:  Have the Browns play in back to back road games in New Orleans and Houston. You could make a complete 8-9 day trip of it.

that would be a fun week and a half, fly into either one drive to the other then fly home.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Here is an article on the Raiders move.  They will be in Oakland this next season....but it is still up in the air when they will move after that apparently:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/when-will-the-raiders-actually-move-to-las-vegas-here-are-the-scenarios/

This article.is almost a year old.

4 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

This article.is almost a year old.

I thought I remember reading that there are more delays and it could take an additional year for the build. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yea,.....and next year they will probably schedule for like early/mid Sept.....when it will be 100+ in the shade.  If they do have to do that triple Gulf Coast swing....1 or 2 of those games will be played in the sauna  (though I know that N.O. plays in a dome....don't the Texans also play in a dome?)

Texans do indeed play in a Dome...   

Archived