THE BROWNS BOARD

Braylon Going Deep

WPB Dawg Fan

Sounds like Bray Bray is going to be stretching the field again this year...

Browns Notebook: Edwards works on going deep

advertisement

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff report

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 09:12 PM

Last update May 28, 2009 @ 09:41 PM

Catch of the day

Braylon Edwards is getting plenty of work on deep routes. On one of them Thursday, Edwards was double-covered by Brandon McDonald and Hamza Andullah.

Derek Anderson unleashed a bomb that became a jump ball. Edwards leaped, picked the ball out of the crowd, turned as the defensive backs were falling, used his free hand to keep himself upright and scored.

Paying the piper

Floyd “Pork Chop” Womack, playing guard, trotted off the field after a false start. Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll greeted him at the sideline, saying, “C’mon, man, we can’t have it.”

Head Coach Eric Mangini seems to pay attention to every little thing.

You have to wonder how Mangini feels when a rookie makes a mistake, is sent on a penalty lap and jogs it out. Second-year man Martin Rucker was barely running on one lap this week.

Brady Quinn was nailed for a penalty lap Thursday. He ran.

Name that tune

Mangini explained his regular use of loud music in practices.

When one is around it all the time, he said, “Noise becomes a nonissue. It’s just part of the landscape.”

The playlist of songs sometimes reflects what is played in stadiums. Sometimes, it is picked by a player as a reward.

“We’re open to requests,” Mangini said. “You guys have something you really like, let me know.”

Good soldier

Hank Fraley, 31, is likely to lose his starting center job to rookie Round 1 pick Alex Mack. Fraley seems to be taking the approach that he’ll try to keep the job but wants to stay on the team however he can.

His take on Mack after Thursday’s practice: “He’ll be a really good player down the line. I’m here to help him out. That’s how I got in the league. I don’t hold back anything, any secrets, nothing. I try to help him as much as I can.”

Extra points

* Wideout David Patten, 34, is actively reaching out to young receivers. On one deep catch by rookie Brian Robiskie, Patten yelled across 40 yards, “Hey! I like it!” Then, Robiskie trotted back to greet Patten, who covered some of the details of the play. The staff is looking at Patten as an extra wideouts coach.

* Mangini hinted that he wants left guard Eric Steinbach to carry more weight this year. Steinbach is one of the thinnest offensive linemen in the league and also is one of the most expensive.

* Joshua Cribbs is getting a lot of work on quick passes designed to use his ability to create yards with the ball in his hands.

* With players scattered in various drills, the defense was short-handed on a few sets Thursday. A few times when a body was needed and Quinn wasn’t in at quarterback, Quinn was an outside linebacker. These are non-contact practices.

That pass from DA to Bray sounds exactly like what we used to see...DA chucking it long and high and hoping Bray wins the jump ball contest. If it works...he looks like a pro bowl QB...if not...he just shrugs.

The 2 blurbs on Quinn were all about leadership. Playing LB in drills when the D was short-handed...and then RUNNING his lap (no prima donna there). NICE!!!

I love hearing the stuff on Patten and Fraley too. This is a TEAM...not just a collection of players.

And Cribbs...short passes make a lot of sense. He isn't a polished WR, so get it to him fast (less importance on route running) and let him make plays.

...Head Coach Eric Mangini seems to pay attention to every little thing...

Man, we keep hearing these good things. Mangini is getting everybody to buy in to his approach - players, media, and fans.

Great to hear about Braylon as well as Alex Mack.

T-minus 2.5 months until the first pre-season game!

Why didn't Anderson play at LB?

The team didn't want to risk him being injured??

JK

No need to turn every thread in to a qb thread.

I like what I am hearing. Practice hard but with a purpose. I like the loud music as a way to get people to focus.

Doesn't sound like many are down on Mangini now. Sounds like we have a real football coach who is determined to mold his team.

What's not to like?

I like what I am hearing. Practice hard but with a purpose. I like the loud music as a way to get people to focus.

Yep, it's still legal to be noisy in an NFL stadium (for now), so these guys need to be used to it. It's either that, or Mangini could bring in some old-school Marine drills sergeants.

Doesn't sound like many are down on Mangini now. Sounds like we have a real football coach who is determined to mold his team.

What's not to like?

If you were one of the guys enjoying 'Club RAC, Cleveland OHIO' a lot is not to like. Those guys will convert or be gone, soon enough.

Glad to see that the football training is being run like FOOTBALL training.

Interesting about Rucker. That concerns me that he either

a ) Thinks this is a joke

b ) Doesn't put forth effort.

i couldn't get the tone of the statement about Rucker. was he jogging his lap like he didn't care or is he making very few mistakes, so he "barely ran a lap" at this point.

what i do know is that the NFL program has bulked him up to 260lbs. that's a big jump from last year. welcome to blocking, son.

Sounds like Bray Bray is going to be stretching the field again this year...

That pass from DA to Bray sounds exactly like what we used to see...DA chucking it long and high and hoping Bray wins the jump ball contest. If it works...he looks like a pro bowl QB...if not...he just shrugs.

King's report filled in the blanks that it was a flea-flicker allie-oop. the shrugging part was all your imagination.

Guest AdaM
King's report filled in the blanks that it was a flea-flicker allie-oop. the shrugging part was all your imagination.

You're really making poorly thought out posts today sisky.

I duno if you've ever watched DA after he missed a throw.... looks something like this.

medium_DerAnder.jpg

i couldn't get the tone of the statement about Rucker. was he jogging his lap like he didn't care or is he making very few mistakes, so he "barely ran a lap" at this point.

what i do know is that the NFL program has bulked him up to 260lbs. that's a big jump from last year. welcome to blocking, son.

I'm with you Sisky....I thought the comment was too vague as well

I'm with you Sisky....I thought the comment was too vague as well

There is nothing vague about it. Look at the context:

"You have to wonder how Mangini feels when a rookie makes a mistake, is sent on a penalty lap and jogs it out. Second-year man Martin Rucker was barely running on one lap this week."

In other words, on one specific lap (that happened to be run this week), Rucker was barely jogging.

Based on that sentence, it appears Rucker has had to run several laps this week.

Maybe he, too, got used to 'Club Romeo'.

Quinn were . . . Playing LB in drills when the D was short-handed....

Don't like this at all. Dude gets hurt and everyone - including the national media - will jump all over the stupidity of risking your potential franchise QB.

Why don't we just have him play there with no shoes?

There is nothing vague about it. Look at the context:

"You have to wonder how Mangini feels when a rookie makes a mistake, is sent on a penalty lap and jogs it out. Second-year man Martin Rucker was barely running on one lap this week."

In other words, on one specific lap (that happened to be run this week), Rucker was barely jogging.

Based on that sentence, it appears Rucker has had to run several laps this week.

I did look at the context and it's still very vague and poorly written.

What does a Mangini's feelings about a rookie jogging a lap have anything to do with Rucker barely running a lap?

How does one lead into the other? It makes little sense and is very vague. Is "Jogging" and "barely running" somehow comparable?

Or is "Jogging" a few tenths of second faster than "Barely running"? Or is it a lot faster?

You can also can not say that statement in any way tells us that Rucker was running more than one lap. I have no idea where you came up with that. It simply says he was barely running on one lap. Not barely running on one of many.

Again, my point is made. The entire thing is vague. But not to you, I guess. Your ability to decipher is remarkable.

If it's not vague to you than more power to you. But it is poorly written in it's attempt to get real point across.

I did look at the context and it's still very vague.....it is poorly written in it's attempt to get real point across.

it was vague as hell OC.

i was even wondering if he was implying some to be rookies of Mangini's system even if they were in their 2nd year. to me, the statement makes the most sense believing that Rucker is a positive standout against the "official rookies" even though the playing field is level for them all....but not clear enough to know for sure.

or maybe we birds just overanalyze the hell out of everything. ;) does that sound like you too? B) i've always had that problem.

Adam i got a genuine good laugh at your post. the well thought-out part. **cheers** :D

it was vague as hell OC.

i was even wondering if he was implying some to be rookies of Mangini's system even if they were in their 2nd year. to me, the statement makes the most sense believing that Rucker is a positive standout against the "official rookies" even though the playing field is level for them all....but not clear enough to know for sure.

or maybe we birds just overanalyze the hell out of everything. ;) does that sound like you too? B) i've always had that problem.

Adam i got a genuine good laugh at your post. **cheers** :D

Damn, now the statement has me more confused than I was before I just read your analysis....lol!

Yep, I have the same problem.....You better spell it out in no uncertain terms or the analyzing begins!

Damn, now the statement has me more confused than I was before I just read your analysis....lol!

Yep, I have the same problem.....You better spell it out in no uncertain terms or the analyzing begins!

You're overanalyzing. Let me try again.

The penalty is to run a lap. Not a half lap, not a 1/4 lap. The penalty is a full lap around (something). It follows that they are to run whole laps because the first statement, regarding a rookie doesn't mention anything other than 'a lap'. Additionally, we know that EM has had other players running penalty laps this week. And the order of the words means that barely is modifying the verb running, not the noun 'lap'. Otherwise it would be 'running barely a lap', and the part about the rookies REALLY doesn't make sense.

Hence, Rucker had to run AT LEAST one lap and was jogging on AT LEAST one lap.

"Hey MARTIN YOU xxxxED UP. GET OUT THERE AND RUN ME barely a lap. Not a foot more." Doesn't sound like a coach at any level.

On top of it, the fact he says '...barely running on one lap this week' implies to me that Rucker ran more than one over the course of a week. It's kind of weird to say 'one lap' when that was the only total penalty lap taken by the player. It's like this 'I ran 5 laps this week, but I managed to just jog on one of them.'

I'm not saying he did run more than one, but I read it as he may have had to run more than one lap. I certainly am not reading it has he 'had to run barely a lap'.

As far as jogging, that was my mistake, but I do equate 'barely running' with 'jogging' - which is probably not what EM had in mind.

The real message is 'Rucker wasn't treating it as seriously as he should/EM would like'.

Yes, journalists are barely literate.

Archived