THE BROWNS BOARD

Who's #1?

Flugel

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Don't go on a double date with him cal. He'll be the only one with a bust.:P

Now that the word is out- I have Allen #4 on my list behind- in no particular order: Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield.  :D 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the

qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post

articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen

fathead poster.

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the

qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post

articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen

fathead poster.

I'd guess that calfox is roughly 12 years old by the tone of his posts, but that can't be true.

That would have made him an embryo when he was waxing poetic about the hall of famer that was Charlie Frye.

fake news. go give rosie great big smoochies for all I care - but I just don't see him having the personality, toughness, emotional makeup and character to inspire a team, etc etc. Neither do some experts. Have a nice day.

42 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

fathead poster.

Waaahhhhaaahhhh you can't tell when I'm yanking your chain? Rosen love? Not really from the rest of us. That's only because YOU have put in what? Around 100 posts already repeating everything ad nauseum YOU don't like about him, and there's been counter arguments that you're off base. FWIW, there hasn't been a ton of chatter about Darnold yet- because a certain poster isn't spewing constantly how much he doesn't like him .

6 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Great article and on the money.

All these QBS need development. Drafting a QB who is going to come in and save the franchise day 1 is a myth. The Watson and Russell Wilson's are rare situtions. Look at Wilson now. He is struggling without a defense to bail him out. His flaws are on full display.

Drafting Rosen and throwing him to the wolves his first season would be a mistake.

No one is saying toss any of the QBs we draft high out there day one Boo. I'd say the consensus right now is get a guy like Alex Smith and sit the rookie for most of the year. 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

consider these scouting reports on a sure to be a bust college qb:

“I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn’t have great ability to change the release of the football. He’s mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better.”

And another:

“The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They’re too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don’t know if they become good pro players. I think ************* is in that same mold.”

And the best all.

“I don’t like him. He’s a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don’t think he’s as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year.”

Know who that qb was at the time? Anybody?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/aaron-rodgers-2005-nfl-draft-scouting-reports

Sorry Cal- we're not sitting Allen 4 years so he can learn how to be an NFL level QB. I think it's safe to say that will never happen again. 

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Good to hear.

By other board, you mean that stupid DawgTalkers place I assume...

No it's Woofing Hard.  If I put in the real name it will auto correct.  :)  I occasionally venture over there. I spent too much time keeping the inmates in line over here.   

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

No it's Woofing Hard

Ahh, I knew him from that stupid DawgTalkers (I was VetteDawg.......and I still have the vette).  

Glad that the two kids are coming out this year.  We should pick one of them, and acquire a starting veteran to let the one we pick ripen on the vine for a year or two.

43 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Great article and on the money.

All these QBS need development. Drafting a QB who is going to come in and save the franchise day 1 is a myth. The Watson and Russell Wilson's are rare situtions. Look at Wilson now. He is struggling without a defense to bail him out. His flaws are on full display.

Drafting Rosen and throwing him to the wolves his first season would be a mistake.

Huh?  Wilson should be the MVShmuckingP if there was any justice in the world. 

That dude is the only reason the Hawks have been able to compete this year. 

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Ahh, I knew him from that stupid DawgTalkers (I was VetteDawg.......and I still have the vette).  

Glad that the two kids are coming out this year.  We should pick one of them, and acquire a starting veteran to let the one we pick can ripen on the vine for a year or two.

Wow, talk about a blast from your past- I had no idea...   

Please, Cal. Don't ruin this thread. No one loves Rosen or says he doesn't have any flaws. But you talking the whole time about Allen and kicking Rosen only makes us want him more JUST TO POSITION OURSELVES AGAINST YOU, because you are being really annoying on that. 

I like the idea of Flugel, I was waiting for someone to post pros and cons of each prospect.

- I don't like that Rosen is not mobile at all, and has injury concerns. It is a skill that can be very useful in the pros to avoid sacks and run for a first down when the play is broken. His rushing stats suck big time and the only good/great QBs I found with similar stats (negative 150 yards) are Tom Brady and Eli Manning. But I think it's too much to expect him to be like them. And if you are a pocket passer I believe you are going to get more hits than others, and Tom and Eli precisely stand out for being durable and having few injuries. The pros? I liked what I saw of him in some of the tapes that were posted here (watching alm his throws of a game).

- I think it was Hoorta who said that Darnold alterned a great throw with a bad throw on Cotton Bowl. I had the same feeling. Looking back, I get the feeling that OSU would have made look silly any top QB prospect, so there's that, but his ball protection was awful. 

- Lamar Jackson. Only QB that we could wish he'd be like is Michael Vick, but Vick was the best athlete on the field BY FAR. I don't see that on Jackson, and I believe that his athleticism is what is keeping him up there. 

- Baker Mayfield. Man, I think it was his last TD, running to the left against Georgia... That kind of stuff is AMAZING. About his character, it strikes me as a player that can't bounce back from his mistakes. I could be very wrong, but I'm referring to the ability to make an INT to immediately get up again and make great throws. His offense is loaded, and that's against him, but his accuracy is great. If he is a good student he could develop into a great QB, but he had the most favorable scenario than the other prospects (conference, the cast around him...). 

- Josh Allen. I had a long chat with Boo about him (Potato Bowl thread). He is not accurate, but has a great character, and I love his backstory. Who does he remind me of...? Drafting Kizer this year should be enough to dismiss Allen next draft.

I have no clue for the others.

So, for me, I would be happy with either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. Rosen is the most pro-ready, yes, maybe the only one worth a #1 pick, but I remember the last QB with injury concerns shining on his first 4 games this year only to miss the rest of the season...

Now, I believe Browns should take players, not projects. We've been famous for screwing up, let's not put ourselves in risky scenarios.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Waaahhhhaaahhhh you can't tell when I'm yanking your chain? Rosen love? Not really from the rest of us. That's only because YOU have put in what? Around 100 posts already repeating everything ad nauseum YOU don't like about him, and there's been counter arguments that you're off base. FWIW, there hasn't been a ton of chatter about Darnold yet- because a certain poster isn't spewing constantly how much he doesn't like him .

lol. I don't dislike Darnold, although the many fumbles are strange. If the Browns draft him or Allen, or even Rudolph, I'll  be happy happy happy. I just think it's Allen. Somebody mentioned that Allen has an injury history for how he's played the game.

It's true. So has rosen. But he said THAT "didn't matter".... that's what is annoying about all this stuff. There are no counter arguments about his character/personality. That is a concern many have, I've posted as much. Will it be a problem? Nobody knows, but a lot of folks are concerned about it.

29 minutes ago, Nero said:

Please, Cal. Don't ruin this thread. No one loves Rosen or says he doesn't have any flaws. But you talking the whole time about Allen and kicking Rosen only makes us want him more JUST TO POSITION OURSELVES AGAINST YOU, because you are being really annoying on that. 

I like the idea of Flugel, I was waiting for someone to post pros and cons of each prospect.

- I don't like that Rosen is not mobile at all, and has injury concerns. It is a skill that can be very useful in the pros to avoid sacks and run for a first down when the play is broken. His rushing stats suck big time and the only good/great QBs I found with similar stats (negative 150 yards) are Tom Brady and Eli Manning. But I think it's too much to expect him to be like them. And if you are a pocket passer I believe you are going to get more hits than others, and Tom and Eli precisely stand out for being durable and having few injuries. The pros? I liked what I saw of him in some of the tapes that were posted here (watching alm his throws of a game).

- I think it was Hoorta who said that Darnold alterned a great throw with a bad throw on Cotton Bowl. I had the same feeling. Looking back, I get the feeling that OSU would have made look silly any top QB prospect, so there's that, but his ball protection was awful. 

- Lamar Jackson. Only QB that we could wish he'd be like is Michael Vick, but Vick was the best athlete on the field BY FAR. I don't see that on Jackson, and I believe that his athleticism is what is keeping him up there. 

- Baker Mayfield. Man, I think it was his last TD, running to the left against Georgia... That kind of stuff is AMAZING. About his character, it strikes me as a player that can't bounce back from his mistakes. I could be very wrong, but I'm referring to the ability to make an INT to immediately get up again and make great throws. His offense is loaded, and that's against him, but his accuracy is great. If he is a good student he could develop into a great QB, but he had the most favorable scenario than the other prospects (conference, the cast around him...). 

- Josh Allen. I had a long chat with Boo about him (Potato Bowl thread). He is not accurate, but has a great character, and I love his backstory. Who does he remind me of...? Drafting Kizer this year should be enough to dismiss Allen next draft.

I have no clue for the others.

So, for me, I would be happy with either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. Rosen is the most pro-ready, yes, maybe the only one worth a #1 pick, but I remember the last QB with injury concerns shining on his first 4 games this year only to miss the rest of the season...

Now, I believe Browns should take players, not projects. We've been famous for screwing up, let's not put ourselves in risky scenarios.

Oh, yeah, well, let me tell you something, you maniac....oh, sorry...never mind. Your appraisals are right on the money  LOL-  whoever the qb is,the Browns HAVE to be successful this draft at finding the guy. Thing is, none of the above played in a pro style offense and succeeded at all, except for Allen. I was ready to think Mayfield could be the guy, then the second half happened in the bowl game, and I decided that he will face defenses like that in the NFL most of the time. How much is Mayfield just immature? don't know. Is the legal trouble a once in his lifetime anomaly ? or...more akin to troubles that JM had?

There is a hell of a lot too like about Mayfield - if he grows up a bit, he could be a lot like Drew Brees in New Orleans. I think Darnold is terrific - the problem is all the fumbling. I don't get it. For all the hype about Rosen's being the best pure pocket passer, well, he is. It's too bad I see him as a lockerroom/community cancer with his big mouth. If Rosen had the intangibles of Allen, Jackson, Rudolph, etc... he'd be atop my list that I would draft for the Browns. He just doesn't. Not at all. When he admits he has a problem of being an arrogant prick according to women on the UCLA campus that don't know him...well, where there is smoke...eh? Or, maybe... he quits being divisive and just becomes a terrific qb in the NFL. I just don't think the Browns can take the chance.

Not trying to ruin a thread - but the attacks of being an Allen backer are just fun, and fun to respond to. Pretty much everything that can be said about the qb's has already been said. That's pretty sad - since it's only Jan 3.

'the question is, what if the Browns actually draft rosie? LOL. Then I'll do more squirrel hunting and keeping quiet about how much I think he's a disaster as a person, the face of your team. Anyways, I need to go back and start working on my novel, cleaning the greenhouse, cutting up some giant trees the neighbor gave me for firewood, cutting out button brush in the wet season bog with a friend, so we can explore that uncharted frontier...and doing the dishes for my wonderful cute Wife. Except, the weather here is often - degrees chill factor, so we are doing things around the house.

FYI - if I am ruining the thread, Flugels will call me and tell me so. Haven't heard yet.... :)

4 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

lol. I don't dislike Darnold, although the many fumbles are strange. If the Browns draft him or Allen, or even Rudolph, I'll  be happy happy happy. I just think it's Allen. Somebody mentioned that Allen has an injury history for how he's played the game.

It's true. So has rosen. But he said THAT "didn't matter".... that's what is annoying about all this stuff. There are no counter arguments about his character/personality. That is a concern many have, I've posted as much. Will it be a problem? Nobody knows, but a lot of folks are concerned about it.

OK, you can dislike Rosen all you want- just be civil about it.  :)   FWIW, I have mild concerns about Josh's reported attitude myself, and even more concerns about those concussions and injury history. & as Nero observed, he's not very mobile either. 

Darnold is more mobile than Rosen, (in my book just as accurate) and I think he can eventually overcome those pocket fumbles. Seems to have pretty good pocket awareness.

Mayfield has all the intangibles you could want- and if he was a couple inches taller, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 

As I've said- my big concern about Allen is I just don't see enough accuracy out of the guy to warrant him being the #1 overall pick. If you just watch his highlight reel, you're going to say- we have to draft him.  If he had Mayfield's pinpoint accuracy- it would be a no brainer to take him at the top of the draft. Next to being able to see the field, accuracy is second in my book. I hope you've noticed how many times big arm Kizer has missed wide open receivers. Sure, having a cannon for an arm is a big plus Cal- but it takes a lot more than that, the list of rocket launcher guys who have flopped in the NFL is legion, like our own Derek Anderson and Brandon Weeden. . Allen might have Wentz's coach- but he's not Wentz- not even close. 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

'the question is, what if the Browns actually draft rosie? LOL. Then I'll do more squirrel hunting and keeping quiet about how much I think he's a disaster as a person, the face of your team. Anyways, I need to go back and start working on my novel, cleaning the greenhouse, cutting up some giant trees the neighbor gave me for firewood, cutting out button brush in the wet season bog with a friend, so we can explore that uncharted frontier...and doing the dishes for my wonderful cute Wife. Except, the weather here is often - degrees chill factor, so we are doing things around the house.

Well if drafting Rosen would clear out the sh*t fans like you then i'm all for it

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

Understood but what veteran QB in the right mind is thinking "I want me some Cleveland" right about now?   I keep hearing names like Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and AJ McCarron - but I'd be really surprised if 1-31 football in Cleveland doesn't have them looking elsewhere like Arizona, NYJ, NYG, Denver, etc...

You're definitely not wrong. Like I've said before, I'm not stupid...I know how difficult the sell is, and we're really banking on the size of the checkbook AND Hue Jackson's reputation as somebody people want to play for. Regardless of his record, Hue is still regarded highly in the NFL. It's the reason we heard rumors about him going back to Cincy, and it's the primary reason we are bringing him back. 

Also consider this:  Several of the teams we played against made comments like, "This team is almost there" and "They're going to surprise some people very soon". We didn't have the reputation as being a team you just walked in a ran out of the stadium. We may have lost every game, but we made just about everyone work for it. We're closer than you think. Really, no QB wants to come to a place without an OL or weapons. We have the OL pretty much in place, but we need weapons. If we KNEW Gordon was coming back, it'd be a MUCH easier sell to QBs. They know how much easier the game becomes with him in it. Toss in Duke, Njoku, Devalve, Corey, and you might have something. 

18 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Allen will be gone by #4. Some QB needy team will move up and get him.

No he won't be gone by #4 unless the Browns lose their collective minds and leave Fitzpatrick on the board in a trade down.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

^^^^^^^^Ditto.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd guess that calfox is roughly 12 years old by the tone of his posts, but that can't be true...

That would have made him an embryo when he was waxing poetic about the hall of famer that was Charlie Frye.

Have...have you been to the Browns Board Political forum yet?

Jurassic-Park-33-Hold-on-to-your-butts1.

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

I understand that youre the draft guru in these parts. Id be interested in hearing your thoughts on Allen at some point.

What I mean about Wilson is that the Seattle offense is bottom tier in terms of points generated.

Seattle 336

Tampa 335

SF 331

GB 320

AZ 295

NYG 246

Seattle has the 11th lowest points scored in the NFC and NYG and GB are in off years. Ive seen Wilson really struggle some games.

Well, when you have a guy with no Oline, no RBs, and a receivers' corp that isn't that envyable (Doug Baldwin is not a top 10 WR, and there are better TEs than Graham), carrying the 88% of your offense's production, I don't know what you expect, it's not going to be a sweet walk.

Tom Brady is second on that ranking and has around a 78% of Patriots' offensive production, and he's putting MVP numbers out there. 

You can't ask a player on a team to carry that much production and produce enough to be an offensive powerhouse, this is a team sport. 

OK, you can dislike Rosen all you want- just be civil about it.  :)   FWIW, I have mild concerns about Josh's reported attitude myself,

I'm good with that. but somebody hacked your account in another thread. They sounded like

jblew and a few other flaming liberals still outraged that their corrupt liar lost the election, and keep wanting to bring

politics over here. not good.

My predictions sure to go wrong:

1.) The browns will find a way to get AJ McCarron on this team. Either he becomes a UFA or RFA, depending on the NFL ruling of his case but I foresee Hue asking for his guy to come help him play. He will get a bigger contract than he should, (3 years, $56 million, 20 guaranteed with a 4th year team option bumping it up to around $65mil). 

2.) Sam Darnold will be the #1 pick in the draft. He had a rough year, but many of his mistakes seem to be fixable. I can't tell you how many times the broadcast team on the USC vs OSU game said how much his team loved him. The browns will fall in love with that perception as well. Allen will come in second and Rosen third on their board. They will consider trading down with the Giants but will ultimately stay at #1 and take their guy

3.) Minkah Fitzpatrick will be the number 4 pick. There will be thoughts about Barkley but the browns will fall in love with another RB...

4.) Assuming McCarron is UFA, Bryce Love will be the #33 pick. This kid is a stud who just grinded out the end of his season. He is Alvin kamara 2.0 and Dorsey will see that

5.) The Browns will trade Kizer, and the remaining 2 of their second round picks to AZ for Patrick Peterson. Larry Fitzgerald calls it a career and the Cards go full rebuild

6.) The Browns will trade down at least once in the later rounds during the draft picking up picks for 2019. They will draft BPA no matter what

7.) The Browns will sign Pryor on a below market contract to bring him back into the fold. They will also sign Albert Wilson from KC. They will make a play for Sammy Watkins, but he will re-sign in LA

8.) The Browns will sign Tre Boston from SD and throw huge money at Malcolm Butler giving them the best defensive backfield in the NFL (Butler, Peterson, Fitzpatrick, Boston, Peppers, BBC and McCourty or Taylor depending on which one they want to keep)

9.) Joe Thomas comes back and signs a 2 year deal to be the highest paid OT in the league. He retires at the end of his contract

10) Browns go 8-8 next year and 11-5 in 2019 and win the Super Bowl! The next day Nuclear War hits

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

How in the hell is he that much of project when Allen is in the same conversation as Rosen and Darnold?

Allen will be gone by #4. Some QB needy team will move up and get him.

The only way that's happening is if Denver trades up with the Colts. MHO? Rosen and Darnold will go before (Mr. Project) Allen. I might barf again (as bad as I did when the Browns drafted Johnny Football & Kizer) if the Browns take Allen @ #1 overall. 

Allen #15 or so to the Cardinals.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

OK, you can dislike Rosen all you want- just be civil about it.  :)   FWIW, I have mild concerns about Josh's reported attitude myself,

I'm good with that. but somebody hacked your account in another thread. They sounded like

jblew and a few other flaming liberals still outraged that their corrupt liar lost the election, and keep wanting to bring

politics over here. not good.

Really? I knew going in when I voted for Gary Johnson that'd he'd probably lose, but this is the first that I'm hearing about him being a corrupt liar. B)

And, for the record, I barely brought politics into it, if at all. I was just extending an invitation to Dutch to come over to the Pol board to experience your...unique...mind firsthand. 

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

I understand that youre the draft guru in these parts. Id be interested in hearing your thoughts on Allen at some point.

What I mean about Wilson is that the Seattle offense is bottom tier in terms of points generated.

Seattle 336

Tampa 335

SF 331

GB 320

AZ 295

NYG 246

Seattle has the 11th lowest points scored in the NFC and NYG and GB are in off years. Ive seen Wilson really struggle some games.

Not around to Allen yet. I'm late on Mo Hurst, I'll have my write up on him Saturday morning before the AA bowl.  Still working on my Allen/Benkert comparison.  So Allen will take a while. 

Nero said it best, points scored isn't a great yard stick with which to measure.    Wilson plays behind one of the, if not the worst Oline in the NFL coupled with zero running game and 1 decent receiving option. 

When was the last time the NFL saw a QB pass for nearly 4k, rush for 6hundo and maintain a 3:1 TD/INT ratio?

I too thought Wilson would crumble without Beast Mode and a legendary defense.  Turns out he's worthy of inclusion on the short list of elite QB's.

Archived