THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine interviewing to be Packers DC

stillmotion

6 hours ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

I like Pettine.  Yeah I hope he gets the gig.  I still think he could be a successful head coach if he can ever clear himself of the PTSD of his time here.

Hamilton could use a good DC.;)

41 minutes ago, ChicopeeJohn said:

If he doesn't appreciate his opportunity to coach an NFL team - in Cleveland or anywhere else - he'd have to be a fool.  I don't believe he is a fool.  Bittersweet, maybe.

Definitely not a fool, he didn’t pursue another NFL coaching job until his Browns contract expired.

I always liked Mike's honesty. I sometimes liked his game day coaching. I never liked his defense. I still dislike (mom taught me to never hate) Huey with every fiber of my soul. 

Good luck to him.  He was a lousy coach for us.  The players used to call him The Ghost.  He just walked around the practice field saying nothing...teaching nothing.

He attempted a 60 yard FG with Devon Hester standing in the middle of the end zone waiting to return it.  TWICE!  'Cos the dopey Atlanta coach called time out to ice the kicker....so Pettine got to SEE Hester catch the ball in the middle of the end zone.....but he did it again anyway....and Hester ALMOST returned it for a TD.  -  Remember, a FG is NOT like a punt.  The players have to stay at the LOS and block for the FG.  No gunners of any sort.  Hester was able to catch the ball with PLENTY of green grass in front of him.

Pettine's problem was that he was supposed to be a defensive guru....yet, in his second season here, he had THE worst defense in the NFL.  I mean, he seemed a great guy...and a lot of us blamed his DC O'Neill.....but O'Neill was running Pettines defense, and Oh...did I say...it wasTHE worst in the NFL.   Lets see how he does this time around.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Oh...did I say...it wasTHE worst in the NFL.

Yes.... twice. Problem is that per PFR that's not the case. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

Plus in his first season, the season he ran his D while Young Shanny tended to the O, he had the 9th ranked scoring D.... so there's that.

In season 2 Shanny left, Mike moved to the O-side, O'Neil ran the D... and the rest is history... just not worst in the NFL that year.

Interesting aside...

• Since the NFL has been a 32-team league (2002) the Browns' Defense has never ranked last in Points or Yards Allowed.
  • Can't say the same for the Offense which has been #32 twice in Points Scored (2017, 2005) and once in Yards Gained (2009).

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yes.... twice. Problem is that per PFR that's not the case. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

Plus in his first season, the season he ran his D while Young Shanny tended to the O, he had the 9th ranked scoring D.... so there's that.

In season 2 Shanny left, Mike moved to the O-side, O'Neil ran the D... and the rest is history... just not worst in the NFL that year.

Interesting aside...

• Since the NFL has been a 32-team league (2002) the Browns' Defense has never ranked last in Points or Yards Allowed.
  • But they HAVE been #32 for 3 years running in point differeential
  • Can't say the same for the Offense which has been #32 twice in Points Scored (2017, 2005) and once in Yards Gained (2009).

I

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But they HAVE been #32 for 3 years running in point differeential

Which is not a defensive stat...

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Which is not a defensive stat...

Its a combination stat.  Defense is one half of it. 

In 2017 Browns were 32d in scoring offense.....31st in scoring defense

2016: 31st in scoring offense...30th in scoring defense

2015: 30th scoring offense...29th in scoring defense. 

So...big effing deal...they were not 32d...but they were 31st/30th/29th.

But....OK...give us 2014 when the defense was 9th in scoring defense.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Funny how it's never a "big effing deal" when it is you that are wrong...

... even when it's twice in one post for emphasis.

Except, of course, I was NOT wrong.   The Browns have been 32d in point differential three years in a row. 

I did edit in  a correction because I had looked at the wrong columns in the PFR website....but I corrected that like 10 seconds later. 

Or is this just another case of you being a pedantic puss. 

On 1/10/2018 at 1:47 PM, The Gipper said:

Or is this just another case of you being a pedantic puss. 

No more than you being infallible... or knowledgeable for that matter.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:27 PM, Tour2ma said:

No more than you being infallible... or knowledgeable for that matter.

I am not infallible....or pretend to be.  That is your bailiwick. Or rather, your bailiwick is to take some point of minutiae that some poster made and leap for joy that you may have caught something that may have been error. 

You should change your screen name to Schadenfraude....as that is what you seem to be all about.

Archived