Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns

thenew23

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

Yes, please!!

So he's all about the money this FA...

I wonder what share of the stadium and the team we would have to pay him to make him avoid contenders to come join us.

Washington won't let him go. It's nice to HEAR this kind of thing because we're all sick and tired of hearing how people WON'T play for us, but I don't expect Cousins to be available. It's still Alex Smith time. 

36 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Washington won't let him go. It's nice to HEAR this kind of thing because we're all sick and tired of hearing how people WON'T play for us, but I don't expect Cousins to be available. It's still Alex Smith time. 

I can't find the link now, but there was one the other day showing the top 9 QB needy teams' betting odds of getting Smith. Browns were 3rd from the bottom and only because of the Dorsey connection. Not a good sign.

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can't find the link now, but there was one the other day showing the top 9 QB needy teams' betting odds of getting Smith. Browns were 3rd from the bottom and only because of the Dorsey connection. Not a good sign.

It would depend on who is willing to trade what to the Chiefs to get the rights to his last year on his contract. If after the first year Smith would prefer to test the market, tag him. By two years, hopefully the drafted rookie is ready to go.

As far as Smith, I wouldnt trade much for him because the Chiefs will cut him before the $20M cap hit takes effect. The only benefit in trading is taking him from another suitor, but how much is that worth for a mediocre 33-year old QB?

I believe Cousins is the better option. He's the immediate fix to our biggest problem of the last 20 years. There is NOBODY else out there that can do that for us...

His stats were down and sacks were up there this year ... probably lack of support ... his receivers were shit.

He's 29 so you can get a nice 5-7 year run out of him, Pay him a boatload of money up front that thins out after 2 or 3 years when we need to resign all these draft picks. Works.

Zombo

If you sign Alex Smith (not a fan) you still go QB at 1 or 4. I see questions with the top 3 prospects, probably a 50/50 shot with the guy we select becoming a true stud.

You sign Cousins, the pressure is off. Kizer is the backup and you start grooming a replacement for Cousins down the road.

Then you use our top picks to add big pieces ... how does Saquan Barkley and Minkah Fitzpatrick sound? You can trade down and get those guys at 3 and 4 and the trade down nhiets another first rounder for a top wr.

I'd throw a boatload at Cousins to be able to go this route.

Z

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The only way Cousins is staying in Washington is if the Redskins can work out a long term deal with him. Gruden is on record he's tired of these one year deal antics. They could tag him again for $30 million, making him the highest paid QB in the league, I don't think he's worth that. 

And for those who are saying "sure, bring Kirk in", do you love him so much you're willing to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL? Because that's what it's going to take. He's good, but not Rogers\ Brady good in my estimation.

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And for those who are saying "sure, bring Kirk in", do you love him so much you're willing to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL? Because that's what it's going to take. He's good, but not Rogers\ Brady good in my estimation.

I would be OK making him the highest paid QB if the contract was as "cap friendly" as possible...... and since I'm not smart enough to pretend to be an NFL GM, I won't elaborate beyond saying I know (or think I know) there is a way to do it with guaranteed money and either front or back end loading the contract. Spend all of Dee's money - I don't care, it's not mine..... How many years have the Browns had the most, or at least close to it, cap space in the NFL? 

Time to put a serious investment at the one and only position on the team that demands it...... QB. 

If we have a chance to get Cousins we HAVE to jump on it. He is a proven QB, in his prime, that has made a bad team competitive. 

Washington has no run game, no receivers, and play in a competitie division. Sounds like help fit right in.

That would allow us to trade back and land players or picks. Maybe we can get 3 #1s from Denver and they throw in WR Thomas or Sanders

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

If you negotiate with the Chiefs before Smith is cut youre not competing with other teams after he is cut.

Smith had his best year in 2017. 9th ranked QB and a 67% passer. Smith is a post season QB.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

When Travis Kelce went out with an injury, Alex Smith struggled. Andy Reid abandoned the run, and put it on Smith,it  didn't work. Would Smith be motivated to help turn this thing around if he came here? 

4 hours ago, thenew23 said:

As far as Smith, I wouldnt trade much for him because the Chiefs will cut him before the $20M cap hit takes effect. The only benefit in trading is taking him from another suitor, but how much is that worth for a mediocre 33-year old QB?

I believe Cousins is the better option. He's the immediate fix to our biggest problem of the last 20 years. There is NOBODY else out there that can do that for us...

definitely a good point here I've been trying to bring up. I'd be shocked if he was traded for anything less than a 3rd if they don't intend to make his salary work.

12 hours ago, thenew23 said:

You're not paying attention. Smith is 4 years older than Cousins and their stats are damn near identical. I wouldn't call a guy with a 104 qbr 26\5 TD\INT ratio and 4,000 yards passing "mediocre". 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

29 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I wouldn't call a guy with a 104 qbr 26\5 TD\INT ratio and 4,000 yards passing "mediocre".

Oh, I would. Look at his complete body of work, the team around him, and his coach... Far better than what Cousins has been working with...

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Exactly why wouldn't we...? We need a QB and he's bet on himself, and put himself in this position by his work on the field, and not to mention still has a giant chip on his shoulder.. Dude can play, and I'd do just about anything to get us a QB like that...

2 hours ago, thenew23 said:

Oh, I would. Look at his complete body of work, the team around him, and his coach... Far better than what Cousins has been working with...

Here come the excuses- he played on a better team...  

51 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Been all aboard the Cousins train since last year. Take him. Don't draft a QB.

I'm glad you're not Dorsey- because we ARE drafting a QB. The Cousins crowd has their minds made up, not much sense arguing any further. . This is my last thought on Kirk. HIs window of opportunity is going to be a lot shorter than Smith + rookie @ #1 overall. Are you guys assuming that he's going to be an anomaly like Tom Brady and be able to play at a Pro Bowl level for the next 10 years? I sure as hell wouldn't bet on that. Plus- Cousins best season to date has been 9-7.  

My peanut gallery POV is the odds of Cousins winding up in Cleveland are on the level of Chiefs fans dreaming they're going to get two first round picks for Alex Smith. & speaking of- the Redskins (just to make life difficult for the Browns) could slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins. Sorry guys- we're not giving up two first round picks for Kirk. That would include this years #1 overall. 

If we land cousins, we could trade back with the Giants and get their 1st next year. Then we could trade that pick for the highest bidder of the Broncos and jets and take them for whatever they have. We'd still get a top 3 skill player and a ton players and picks

1. Giants- Rosen

2-Denver- Darnold

3- Indy- Chubb

4- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/Josh Jackson

5- NYJ- Mayfield

6- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/ Josh Jackson

That would be pretty unreal

Not a fan of the Cousins option personally...

On 1/11/2018 at 5:06 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

This is just smart business. His agent wants other potential buyers to believe that a team with tons of cap space and needing a QB is in the bidding.

This ^

Kirk... I know I keep you amused, but I feel I'm being used...

On 1/11/2018 at 9:07 AM, thenew23 said:

As far as Smith, I wouldnt trade much for him because the Chiefs will cut him before the $20M cap hit takes effect.

It shouldn't take much as IIRC there's $4mm in dead money at stake for KC. Of course competition for Smith's services will set the final trade price.

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

If we land cousins, we could trade back with the Giants and get their 1st next year. Then we could trade that pick for the highest bidder of the Broncos and jets and take them for whatever they have. We'd still get a top 3 skill player and a ton players and picks

1. Giants- Rosen

2-Denver- Darnold

3- Indy- Chubb

4- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/Josh Jackson

5- NYJ- Mayfield

6- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/ Josh Jackson

That would be pretty unreal

Sorry if I'm not feeling the Cousins love..... 

Yes, about as unreal as Kansas City fans thinking they can get two first round picks for Alex Smith. Flipping picks with the Giants nets you a second- max. The Giants will have no incentive to trade up- they'll just take the QB we don't. Or they'll know we aren't realistically taking a QB with Kirk on board. 

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a fan of the Cousins option personally...

This ^

Kirk... I know I keep you amused, but I feel I'm being used...

It shouldn't take much as IIRC there's $4mm in dead money at stake for KC. Of course competition for Smith's services will set the final trade price.

I'm still having trouble with cap hit and dead money Tour. Am I right in thinking if KC trades Smith the $20 or so million cap hit goes away, but they're still on the hook for around $4 million in "dead money"?  

But if they just cut him- he's owed the full amount?  

44 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'm still having trouble with cap hit and dead money Tour. Am I right in thinking if KC trades Smith the $20 or so million cap hit goes away, but they're still on the hook for around $4 million in "dead money"?  

But if they just cut him- he's owed the full amount?  

Yes, if Alex is traded, his contract is traded and becomes his new team's responsibility... unless otherwise negotiated as part of the trade. We sometimes hear where the team the player is leaving eats part of the contract.

Dead money is all a team owes a player if they cut him prior to June 1st, i.e., it is true, guaranteed money. After June 1st the full amount for that season is guaranteed.

Clear as mud? ;)

So Cousins would "seriously consider" an offer from the Browns? Here's my take...

1) Kirk Cousins. Basically a "500 hitter"(8-8, 9-7)...a 30 year old Andy Dalton....Price tag "through the roof"??? Quite frankly, I would go after AJ McCarron LONG BEFORE I would pursue Cousins. AJ will be tons cheaper, was raised by our new QB Coach & knows Hue's system. Should I mention the $ difference & cap flexibility? Obviously, I am NOT a fan of the Cousins option.

2) Alex Smith. Trade for him, then overpay HIM. he has already shown he is a better QB than Cousins, a "team player" who will help develop the young QB we select #1, & will be here long enough to bring the young guy along while taking the Browns to a higher level than Cousins would.

My choice is Smith.

Mike

4 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

So Cousins would "seriously consider" an offer from the Browns. Here's my take...

1) Kirk Cousins. Basically a "500 hitter"(8-8, 9-7)...a 30 year old Andy Dalton....Price tag "through the roof"??? Quite frankly, I would go after AJ McCarron LONG BEFORE I would pursue Cousins. AJ will be tons cheaper, was raised by our new QB Coach & knows Hue's system. Should I mention the $ difference & cap flexibility?

2) Alex Smith. Trade for him, then overpay HIM. he has already shown he is a better QB than Cousins, a "team player" who will help develop the young QB we select #1, & will be here long enough to bring the young guy along while taking the Browns to a higher level than Cousins would.

Mike

Archived