THE BROWNS BOARD

Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns

thenew23

9 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

I can't believe there are so many anti-Cousins guys after what we've trotted out at QB the past 20 years...

Is it money? Rather wait for a draft pick to develop? Age?

Listen, he's the ONLY win-now option... Unless you are all content with 2-3 more years of crap? ... I don't get it. 4 years with him at QB and we at least get to see some exciting football in that time...

If we can get Cousins or Smith we should by very happy. People maybe right he wont take us to the SB but what he would do is bring stability to the organization that will go along to help get this franchise out of the basement.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

If we can get Cousins or Smith we should by very happy. People maybe right he wont take us to the SB but what he would do is bring stability to the organization that will go along to help get this franchise out of the basement.

I think Cousins is a pipe dream, but Alex Smith IMO would be a great, smart acquisition.

He's an experienced pro who would bring stability to QB, and a great example to whoever the Browns draft.

You have to walk before you run. If you take a QB #1 overall, it's with the idea that HE is the guy that will take you to the Super Bowl - not the vet "bridge" guy you bring in to show him the ropes.

3 hours ago, thenew23 said:

I can't believe there are so many anti-Cousins guys after what we've trotted out at QB the past 20 years...

Is it money? Rather wait for a draft pick to develop? Age?

Listen, he's the ONLY win-now option... Unless you are all content with 2-3 more years of crap? ... I don't get it. 4 years with him at QB and we at least get to see some exciting football in that time...

Regarding the bold, I disagree, no he's not. Oh, Cousins would be an upgrade over any Browns QB since '99 than possibly a healthy Tim Couch. Then again, so would Alex Smith. 

Win now? Care to put a number on wins you think the Browns will have with Cousins at QB this year with the Browns? You're out of your mind if you're dreaming playoffs, even with a perfect draft. I'll go so far to say Smith will be able to put up a similar number of wins- and we won't be committed to him for the next 5 years either, while the Browns real QBOTF sits and learns behind him.  

I'm as frustrated as anyone around here with the pathetic QB carousel, and the unending losing. It's just that some of the Cousins crowd think Kirk is going to be the magic elixir that's instantly going to turn the Browns into a winner right now. & yeah- it is partly about the money. You want to pay Cousins Tom Brady money- when a bunch of quarters are saying Kirk is no Brady- not even close.   Yup Kirkie is gonna get paid, I rather have a different team do the paying. 

59 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding the bold, I disagree, no he's not. Oh, Cousins would be an upgrade over any Browns QB since '99 than possibly a healthy Tim Couch. Then again, so would Alex Smith. 

Win now? Care to put a number on wins you think the Browns will have with Cousins at QB this year with the Browns? You're out of your mind if you're dreaming playoffs, even with a perfect draft. I'll go so far to say Smith will be able to put up a similar number of wins- and we won't be committed to him for the next 5 years either, while the Browns real QBOTF sits and learns behind him.  

I'm as frustrated as anyone around here with the pathetic QB carousel, and the unending losing. It's just that some of the Cousins crowd think Kirk is going to be the magic elixir that's instantly going to turn the Browns into a winner right now. & yeah- it is partly about the money. You want to pay Cousins Tom Brady money- when a bunch of quarters are saying Kirk is no Brady- not even close.   Yup Kirkie is gonna get paid, I rather have a different team do the paying. 

Smith is exactly the same QB we keep signing. An aging system guy looking for one last pay day. I mean what' the diffrence between Alex Smith and Jake Delhomme? How about Jeff Garcia? Trent Dilfer? Why waste time with these bottom barrel guys when you can open up our loaded check book and get a guy who throws for 4k each year. It's really impressive when you realize he had no running game and a lack luster defense.

Money shouldn't be an issue. Just because he isn't a top 5 QB doesn't mean he won't be worth every penny of his contract. Is Matt Stafford as good as Tom Brady? Andrew luck? Of course not but they are worth the money because of how important they are to their team. That's the price you pay for a competent QB

On 1/11/2018 at 12:33 AM, thenew23 said:

Yes, please!!

I also heard that Bill Cowher is buying a house in Berea in case the Browns decide to hire him as head coach.

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Smith is exactly the same QB we keep signing. An aging system guy looking for one last pay day. I mean what' the diffrence between Alex Smith and Jake Delhomme? How about Jeff Garcia? Trent Dilfer? Why waste time with these bottom barrel guys when you can open up our loaded check book and get a guy who throws for 4k each year. It's really impressive when you realize he had no running game and a lack luster defense.

Money shouldn't be an issue. Just because he isn't a top 5 QB doesn't mean he won't be worth every penny of his contract. Is Matt Stafford as good as Tom Brady? Andrew luck? Of course not but they are worth the money because of how important they are to their team. That's the price you pay for a competent QB

Regarding  Smith being exactly the same QB we keep signing.   :lol::lol::lol:- it won't be because he's looking for a last payday either- FYI, he's not a free agent, we'll have to give KC something to get his services. You can bet Dorsey knows damn well what Alex is capable of- or why the chatter several teams will be interested in Smith? 

I'd suggest you look up Delhomme, Garcia, and Dilfer's stats on Pro Football reference before you start comparing Smith to that motley crew. Delhomme was clearly washed up when we signed him. Dilfer was a career mediocre QB with a negative TD\INT ratio- he can thank Ray Lewis & Co. for that Super Bowl ring. 

& cut the crap that Smith is a bottom barrel "system" guy. He's better in almost every respect than Cousins and has been for years. Or you so far up Cousins a$$ you can't see daylight? Inspect the sortable link and debate that if you will. 

Here's my equation for you:  2-3 years of Smith + 12 years of Darnond\Mayfield\Rosen >>> 5 years of Cousins.  More cap friendly too. For gosh sakes, do it right for once, get a competent bridge starter, and let the rookie sit and learn for a year. BTW, Stafford and Luck haven't sniffed the SB yet. That's my big fear- we'll sign Cousins and be kicking ourselves in the a$$ we passed yet again on the next Carson Wentz. I've already said it once- Cousins- or even Tom Brady himself isn't going to instantly turn the Browns into a contender in 2018, so what's your rush? 

PS- I don't hate Cousins, and I'll support him should the Browns decide to go that route. BUT MHO is he's not the best & certainly not the only option we have this off season. :)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Wentz didn't get the eagles to the superbowl foles did. It's a team game and QBs get too much credit for taking their teams to the super bowl. Foles isn't better than Brees and yet who is playing in the superbowl? 

Alex Smith has only passed 4k once in his career and that was last year... and it was 4046 yrds. I get that he has played his best season to date but the man was awful for so long, and now I'm supposed to believe he win for the us at 35? You'e right I messed up he will be traded... meaning we have to give up something AND pay him like 20m. 

5 years in the NFL is a lifetime. You act like we can't also look for our next guy in that time. If you set up a contract right Cousins could be traded or cut after 3 years and that would give Darnold enough time to sit. So if we really like a QB in this draft we can still take them

9 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

A fair point of view.....but then....why is Cousins any different than Delhomme, Garcia, Dilfer?

Well...there IS one ...maybe two differences:  A. Age...he may be a bit younger than those guys...but also:  B.  Unlike Delhomme, Dilfer, Garcia....Cousins has never lead his team to a Super Bowl or Conference title game appearance....and those others have.  

:lol::o:blink:

Another thing Cousins has that those others don't is that he has never had a bad year as a starter. He took over a 4-12 team and this is what he did with them.

2015- 70% completions 29/11 td/int and 4166 yards 9 wins

2016- 67 % completions 25/12 td/int and 4917 yards 8 wins 

2017- 64.3% completions 27/13 td/int 4094 yards 7 wins

He was on a terrible team, what more can be do?

Hey! Cousins did his part towards that 4-12 record! Kicked in 1-4 that season... and 0-3 the prior one.

As you said in a prior post, W/L record is the weakest of all QB arguments. Yet you argue for Cousins at .500. Make up your mind.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'd suggest you look up Delhomme, Garcia, and Dilfer's stats on Pro Football reference before you start comparing Smith to that motley crew. Delhomme was clearly washed up when we signed him.

Bingo... the word I used for Delhomme was "shot."

And Garcia was a true system guy while Dilfer was a game-manager that caught lightening once and came to a Browns team that needed him to ball out.

Like i said as a starter he hasn't had a bad season. He came off of the bench on a bad team and couldn't get them out of the rut. As a starter he turned the franchise around. I put his win/loss record at the end because the other stats are far more important. 

I've watched my fair share of alex Smith since he came into the league and he is just like those players. He sucked until he he got into the right system and he became mediocre at best

35 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Like i said as a starter he hasn't had a bad season. He came off of the bench on a bad team and couldn't get them out of the rut. As a starter he turned the franchise around. I put his win/loss record at the end because the other stats are far more important. 

I've watched my fair share of alex Smith since he came into the league and he is just like those players. He sucked until he he got into the right system and he became mediocre at best

While Alex has excelled in KC, his last four seasons in SF he hardly "sucked".

But point taken... if I acquire Alex, I bring a lot of KC's offensive principles with him.

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding  Smith being exactly the same QB we keep signing.   :lol::lol::lol:- it won't be because he's looking for a last payday either- FYI, he's not a free agent, we'll have to give KC something to get his services. You can bet Dorsey knows damn well what Alex is capable of- or why the chatter several teams will be interested in Smith? 

I'd suggest you look up Delhomme, Garcia, and Dilfer's stats on Pro Football reference before you start comparing Smith to that motley crew. Delhomme was clearly washed up when we signed him. Dilfer was a career mediocre QB with a negative TD\INT ratio- he can thank Ray Lewis & Co. for that Super Bowl ring. 

& cut the crap that Smith is a bottom barrel "system" guy. He's better in almost every respect than Cousins and has been for years. Or you so far up Cousins a$$ you can't see daylight? Inspect the sortable link and debate that if you will. 

Here's my equation for you:  2-3 years of Smith + 12 years of Darnond\Mayfield\Rosen >>> 5 years of Cousins.  More cap friendly too. For gosh sakes, do it right for once, get a competent bridge starter, and let the rookie sit and learn for a year. BTW, Stafford and Luck haven't sniffed the SB yet. That's my big fear- we'll sign Cousins and be kicking ourselves in the a$$ we passed yet again on the next Carson Wentz. I've already said it once- Cousins- or even Tom Brady himself isn't going to instantly turn the Browns into a contender in 2018, so what's your rush? 

PS- I don't hate Cousins, and I'll support him should the Browns decide to go that route. BUT MHO is he's not the best & certainly not the only option we have this off season. :)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Agree Larry. Bottom line is, and so well stated by you, that we do not dislike Cousins, but we feel there are better options. Of course, I have highlighted what I felt were your best statements. Kudos to you for very well stated points.

Mike

4 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

2011 SF 61.3 comp%, 3144 yards, 17 td, 5 int, 90.7 rating

2012 SF 70.2 comp%, 1737 yards, 13 td, 5 int, 104.1 rating

2013 KC 60.6 comp%, 3313 yards, 23 td, 7 int, 89.1 rating

2014 KC 65.3 comp%, 3265 yards, 18 td, 6 int, 93.4 rating

2015 KC 65.3 comp%, 3486 yards, 20 td, 7 int, 95.4 rating

2016 KC 67.1 comp%, 3502 yards, 15 td, 8 int, 91.2 rating

2017 KC 67.5 comp%, 4042 yards, 26 td, 5 int, 104.7 rating

Sign me up for some of this "mediocrity".

22 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Agree Larry. Bottom line is, and so well stated by you, that we do not dislike Cousins, but we feel there are better options. Of course, I have highlighted what I felt were your best statements. Kudos to you for very well stated points.

Mike

I was listening to a Jets fan caller on Sirius NFL talking about Cousins. He was hoping they didn't sign him. The hosts were shocked at his lack of appreciation for Cousins. Right in line with my comments they mentioned bird in hand vs draft pick and 4200+ yards per year 30 TD's and a 2/1 or better TD / INT ratio on a mediocre team at best. I respect everyone's opinion but mine is the Browns need to pay as necessary to make this happen. With him , our existing  talent ( mostly Gordon and Duke) the draft and free agency we are instant contenders for a championship. We need to focus enough on offense to end up with something like Cousins, Gordon, Jarvis Landry , Saquon Barkley , Duke and Njoku. Haley would pop a boner on that for sure. 

6 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I was listening to a Jets fan caller on Sirius NFL talking about Cousins. He was hoping they didn't sign him. The hosts were shocked at his lack of appreciation for Cousins. Right in line with my comments they mentioned bird in hand vs draft pick and 4200+ yards per year 30 TD's and a 2/1 or better TD / INT ratio on a mediocre team at best. I respect everyone's opinion but mine is the Browns need to pay as necessary to make this happen. With him , our existing  talent ( mostly Gordon and Duke) the draft and free agency we are instant contenders for a championship. We need to focus enough on offense to end up with something like Cousins, Gordon, Jarvis Landry , Saquon Barkley , Duke and Njoku. Haley would pop a boner on that for sure. 

This is where Ghoolie would blast you for a comment like that- I won't sink to his level of profane name calling.  It's pie in the sky dreaming that everything is going to work out perfectly. Really, the Browns can go from 0-16 to Super Bowl level talent in one off season? Please- you're talking crazy talk. It took the Lions three years- and that was with Matt Stafford (er, same level of talent as Cousins) and Megatron (at least as good or better than Gordon) to go from 0-16 to even have a 10-6 record. You have to learn how to walk before you can run. 

Yeah.... "instant" is a tad optimistic by like about three years... even if we assume the Offense does not substantially change under our new OC.

Still have depth issues everywhere... open questions at LT, FS... coverage issues at LB.

Then there's the whole learning how to win thing... in both the season and then the playoffs.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

This is where Ghoolie would blast you for a comment like that- I won't sink to his level of profane name calling.  It's pie in the sky dreaming that everything is going to work out perfectly. Really, the Browns can go from 0-16 to Super Bowl level talent in one off season? Please- you're talking crazy talk. It took the Lions three years- and that was with Matt Stafford (er, same level of talent as Cousins) and Megatron (at least as good or better than Gordon) to go from 0-16 to even have a 10-6 record. You have to learn how to walk before you can run. 

I'll temper my enthusiasm by qualifying it as compete for the division championship. That I stand behind 100%

I respect your guys' opinions, but the Cousins situation just doesn't happen... A franchise QB becoming a FA (and it still might NOT happen). We have to at least try. There are 1-2 season turnarounds all over the NFL, and nothing would help that happen more than a vet QB with the talent Kirk has.

I have a hard time seeing the Smith + Draft Pick being a better choice, because Draft picks are such a gamble AND they take 2-3+ years just to develop... 

In pro sports, you just CAN'T afford to pass up a great opportunity because you might not see it again...

11 hours ago, JimboJones said:

I like Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Guice, N.Chubb, Michel, Penny ect in the 2nd.  Seems easier to predict elite talent at RB later on than any other position.

Not sure about ease to predict, but the depth of very good talent at RB is much greater this year than it is at Edge.

13 hours ago, thenew23 said:

I respect your guys' opinions, but the Cousins situation just doesn't happen... A franchise QB becoming a FA (and it still might NOT happen). We have to at least try. There are 1-2 season turnarounds all over the NFL, and nothing would help that happen more than a vet QB with the talent Kirk has.

I have a hard time seeing the Smith + Draft Pick being a better choice, because Draft picks are such a gamble AND they take 2-3+ years just to develop... 

In pro sports, you just CAN'T afford to pass up a great opportunity because you might not see it again...

Smith + Top QB in Draft >> Cousins... but vs. Cousins + Top QB in Draft??? That's essentially Smith vs. Cousins? Another topic for another day...

With either vet QB you both... because if Cousins is all that and a bag of nuts then we are not seeing a top pick again for 5+ years. Just don't include a "no trade" clause in your offer to Cousins.

15 hours ago, thenew23 said:

I'll echo Tour here... the Browns having the #1 overall two years in a row hasn't happened since '99 and '00. It's the bird in the hand argument.  I don't see Cousins as significantly better than Smith. He'll just have a longer shelf life by a few years. By all accounts- and using my own eyes, this is a loaded QB class. The time to swing for the fences is now. Assuming the usual progression of things, we hopefully won't be in the pole position in the draft for a long time. We just saw what drafting a QB project in the second round looks like. 

MHO is this isn't the year "to play it safe". Take the top 2 prospects @ #1 & #4 (one better be a qb) and don't look back.  

Archived