THE BROWNS BOARD

Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns

thenew23

Reports are now flying that Cousins to Denver is close to a done deal...

How? Given the start of the league year is still over a month away... I have no idea.

One other interesting tidbit... in addition to us, NYJ, and DNV pursuing Cousins... The Vikings were mentioned. Had not seen them mentioned before, but why not? They don't have a QB signed to their roster.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

How? Given the start of the league year is still over a month away... I have no idea.

One other interesting tidbit... in addition to us, NYJ, and DNV pursuing Cousins... The Vikings were mentioned. Had not seen them mentioned before, but why not? They don't have a QB signed to their roster.

Similar to the Smith deal....all done but the signing on the date they can.  And I had heard about the Vikings potential interest on Golic/Wingo.

59 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Similar to the Smith deal....all done but the signing on the date they can.  And I had heard about the Vikings potential interest on Golic/Wingo.

I believe all 3 of the Vikings qb's are free agents this year maybe we can choose from their left overs ?

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

seems that The Senior Bowl week now jumps deals even before combine..last night am watching the state of the Union.seemed like Trump fired the national anthem at Roger..than within 5 minutes after.. reports of Smith to DC fired right back at Trump..me thinks, the timing had a idea

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Similar to the Smith deal....all done but the signing on the date they can.

Except the league year is not over so as of now Cousins is still a WSH employee and any talking to him is considered "illegal tampering" under league rules. There is a "legal tampering" period a day or so before the official start of the league year... and there's a more relaxed view of "conversations" with agents as that day approaches, but this is way outside that timing.

So it can't be "similar".

Thinking more on it... either WSH has filed paperwork to release Cousins or they've given permission to teams to talk to their employee.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Except the league year is not over so as of now Cousins is still a WSH employee and any talking to him is considered "illegal tampering" under league rules. There is a "legal tampering" period a day or so before the official start of the league year... and there's a more relaxed view of "conversations" with agents as that day approaches, but this is way outside that timing.

Thinking more on it... either WSH has filed paperwork to release Cousins or they've given permission to teams to talk to their employee.

a team could still trade for him so why can't it be similar 

YAWN.

2 hours ago, syd said:

I believe all 3 of the Vikings qb's are free agents this year maybe we can choose from their left overs ?

Idiot fukcking Browns fans going through more mental masturbation....inventing Browns football moves that have abso-Shmucking-lutely no chance of even being considered.....let alone happening.

Seriously, don't you jackoffs get tired pf dping this same.schidt year after year after year?

Is reality that fukcing hard for you to accept?

NOBODY OF ANY TALENT WANTS TO COME TO SCHIDTHOLE cleveland.

Myels Garrett made goddamned video offering fellatio to Jerry Jones to rescue him. A top rated college qb threatened to stay on college rather than come.to schidt hole-land.

Meanwhile.  You jackoffs believe Cleveland is a mover-shaker.......top franchise.

Do you hear players objecting to any other city?

But hey..........go ahead.....pretend that Cleveland  is a really.cool place. EVERYONE wants to play on Cleveland. LMAO.

I imagine this is why.the Browns continue to draft.schidt like Garrett and Coleman. Top.guys won't play here.

5 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

YAWN.

Idiot fukcking Browns fans going through more mental masturbation....inventing Browns football moves that have abso-Shmucking-lutely no chance of even being considered.....let alone happening.

Seriously, don't you jackoffs get tired pf dping this same.schidt year after year after year?

Myels Garrett made goddamned video offering fellatio to Jerry Jones to rescue him. A top rated college qb threatened to stay on college rather than come.to schidt hole-land.

Meanwhile.  You jackoffs believe Cleveland is a mover-shaker.......top franchise.

But hey..........go ahead.....pretend that Cleveland  is a really.cool place. EVERYONE wants to play on Cleveland. LMAO.

I imagine this is why.the Browns continue to draft.schidt like Garrett and Coleman. Top.guys won't play here.

For someone giving up the NFL you seem strangely obsessed with the Browns.

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sure...

A little Skin Bracer for the Cousins optimists...

... Cousins can pick his destination. Sure, the Browns have the most money, but unless they come in way over what other suitors are willing to pay him, Cousins will likely not choose the Browns. Last year, Tony Jefferson chose the Ravens over the Browns in free agency for less  money because he wanted to have a better chance at the playoffs.

Cousins told New York radio station WFAN on Tuesday he wants to go to a winner.

“Winning is everything, especially at this stage of my career,” Cousins said. “I’m going into Year 7. Because I’ve been franchise-tagged twice, it’s not about the money so much. It’s about winning. I want to win.

“This isn’t the NBA," he said. "You can’t just get one player and now you’re in the AFC championship game or NFC championship game. There are other pieces that come into play.”

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Will-the-Browns-pay-the-price-for-their-1-31-record-114477106

But on the other hand ochocinco says we're a lock... so y'all got that going for you...

Chad Johnson says Kirk Cousins will sign with Cleveland Browns, Joe Thomas says team is the favorite

"Don't listen to any sources out there, I said it first," Johnson added.

Glance at teams with QB need and space to accomodate a $30mm/yr QB...

Team Cap
Space
Effective Cap
Space
ℹ️
# Active
Cap Spending
Dead
Money
49ers $113,574,832 $113,574,832 61 $105,419,029 $15,054,569
Browns $109,653,737 $109,653,737 70 $116,984,421 $10,274,802
Jets      $72,446,618   $72,446,618 55   $118,713,011   $2,918,337
Vikings $50,163,643   $49,203,643 49  $140,910,744    $654,816
Bills $29,418,581  $29,418,581 52    $141,045,590 $18,719,288
Broncos $26,773,245  $26,773,245 59    $161,069,049 $365,907

BUF and DNV would have to do a little shuffling, but are well within "striking distance".

Teams that would have to do a lot more work include:

Jaguars $16,517,319 $16,517,319 66 $188,606,617 $644,803
Cardinals $8,714,438 $8,714,438 51 $170,213,859 $673,489
Dolphins $7,487,613 $7,487,613 55 $169,304,860 $276,688

If going to a winner is a strong consideration, then the Vikes, Broncos and Jags would have to be the top contenders.

As the main guy fighting off the salary cap hawks in favor of Cousins, I think I'm out after the Smith trade. Smith netted a 3rd and a premium young corner. You would have to think the redskins are looking at that and thinking they can atleast get a 1st for Cousins, if not more. I would love to have Cousins but if we have to give up a pick in the top 3 rounds I would much rather look at a free agent like Bridgewater. Worse come to worse we start the rookie or we let Kizer take the lumps next year

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Glance at teams with QB need and space to accomodate a $30mm/yr QB...

Team Cap
Space
Effective Cap
Space
ℹ️
# Active
Cap Spending
Dead
Money
49ers $113,574,832 $113,574,832 61 $105,419,029 $15,054,569
Browns $109,653,737 $109,653,737 70 $116,984,421 $10,274,802
Jets      $72,446,618   $72,446,618 55   $118,713,011   $2,918,337
Vikings $50,163,643   $49,203,643 49  $140,910,744    $654,816
Bills $29,418,581  $29,418,581 52    $141,045,590 $18,719,288
Broncos $26,773,245  $26,773,245 59    $161,069,049 $365,907

BUF and DNV would have to do a little shuffling, but are well within "striking distance".

Teams that would have to do a lot more work include:

Jaguars $16,517,319 $16,517,319 66 $188,606,617 $644,803
Cardinals $8,714,438 $8,714,438 51 $170,213,859 $673,489
Dolphins $7,487,613 $7,487,613 55 $169,304,860 $276,688

If going to a winner is a strong consideration, then the Vikes, Broncos and Jags would have to be the top contenders.49ers

49ers  already have their guy.   Are Jets really much better if at all than Browns if "winning is the goal?  Vikings...yes...but will they prefer to stick with what they know in Keenum/the Twat etc. 

Bills have what is supposed to be a good defense...so they could be in their with Broncos....but both, as you say, would have to shuffle cap space.

4 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

As the main guy fighting off the salary cap hawks in favor of Cousins, I think I'm out after the Smith trade. Smith netted a 3rd and a premium young corner. You would have to think the redskins are looking at that and thinking they can atleast get a 1st for Cousins, if not more. I would love to have Cousins but if we have to give up a pick in the top 3 rounds I would much rather look at a free agent like Bridgewater. Worse come to worse we start the rookie or we let Kizer take the lumps next year

Washington would have to sign him or give him the 34 million tag to trade him. So there will be no compensation given up to get Captain Kirk except for the exorbitant amounts of money he will demand, worth it or not

Where would I sign up?

19 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Jags extended Bortles so they are out of the running.

Link? Not finding that news anywhere...

JAX was pretty well committed when Bortles just put his wrist under the knife which fully guaranteed his 5th-year-option, 2018 contract. Well played, Mr. Bortles.

45 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Where would I sign up?

Link? Not finding that news anywhere...

JAX was pretty well committed when Bortles just put his wrist under the knife which fully guaranteed his 5th-year-option, 2018 contract. Well played, Mr. Bortles.

https://nesn.com/2018/01/jaguars-reportedly-plan-to-keep-blake-bortles-even-with-kirk-cousins-available/

Reportedly. So not official, my bad. 

Thanks...

JAX had cap space issues pursuing Cousins before Bortles salary was guaranteed. Now it's really hard for them to make it work.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:18 PM, Ghoolie said:

YAWN.

Money talks. Period.

It's more than money. There's at least 5 teams who can make Cousins one of the highest paid players in the game, and they have enough cap space. Even if they don't, they can still move crap around, cut veterans (sound familiar?), and generate the necessary room to absorb the massive contract. So while money is a giant factor, it doesn't necessarily give US any advantage. I'll just make up some numbers. Say the Browns offer him $24 million a year for 8 years. That's a big effing contract! Surely Cousins would take it, right?! But wait...The New York Jets and Denver Broncos offer $22 million for 8 years. Well, the Browns offered more money, so surely we'll get the prized QB!! I mean, right? RIGHT?! 

No. No. No. No. No.....NO. For example, remember that free safety we threw that giant contract at last year? You know, because we DIDN'T HAVE ONE ON THE EFFING ROSTER. We made, by far, the best offer. So surely he accepted it....NOPE. He went to the Ravens. Which is just awesome. Why on earth would he turn down several million dollars A YEAR? Because we're US. We're the worst team in the history of the entire NFL. Let that sink in for a bit. The worst team in the universe doesn't get the prized free agent QB. 

The rewards for being in one freaking wild card game since 1999 (0-1 vs pizzburg yet) and recently going 1-31 ALMOST 0-32 and 0-16 with miserable detroit.

Put the sign out FREE AGENTS WELCOME , and reasonable rates at the Motel 6 with free breakfast. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The thing is, it's not like Jacksonville was thought of as much better until this season't turnaround.

It can be done.

And a great defense to carry them along, came close to JAX going farther than they did. If you looked at the odds only NE was a real prohibitive favorite in this "parity by design" NFL.....give everyone a shot every 5 years, ah, Cleveland and Detroit must be next? 

Saw Kurt on NFL Live yesterday. He was in MN "for the Super Bowl" ;);)

Pretty much toed the same line about money not being the only factor.

When the host asked about his interest in playing for the Vikes, the predominantly Viking crowd went a little crazy.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Say the Browns offer him $24 million a year for 8 years.

Why the low-ball offer?

Well... appears we are not expecting to sign Cousins... :)

Scot McCloughan to work for Browns during 2018 draft

The extreme makeover of the Cleveland Browns' scouting department continued Saturday when former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan joined the organization as a personnel consultant to assist the team in this year's draft, according to league sources.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22316771/ex-washington-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-work-cleveland-browns-draft

I think this was posted earlier in this thread, but it carries more meaning now....

Scot McCloughan on Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins: ‘I don’t see special’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/19/scot-mccloughan-on-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-i-dont-see-special/?utm_term=.131704d49c8c

Archived