THE BROWNS BOARD

Trent Dilfer says Rosen has "changed, grew for the better"

stillmotion

Apparently Dilfer said that after Rosen and him fought during their first meeting, Josh came back and helped in the camp and was much more humble towards Dilfer.

https://gojoebruin.com/2018/01/10/ucla-football-trent-dilfer-gives-support-josh-rosen/

Everyone knows the story of how they didn't get along, and how Rosen publically said he didn't like Dilfer during their first meeting when he was 17.

Apparently he thinks Rosen changed, which people can do, especially during the college years.

Dilfer called Rosen, "untitled, and uncoachable" during his elite 11 camp back when he was 17 during his most recent interview, however, Dilfer said a lot of coaches and teams won't like him since he wants a system that plays on his strengths. He'll be a red flag towards a lot of GM's because of his personality and style, however he could be very successful in the right system Dilfer said.

I think if Dorsey did say he wanted "nothing to do with Rosen" it's unlikely we take him, however, I shouldn't be too overly critical of Rosen if Dilfer has come around on him.

Joe Rogan said though, "a kid who's handed millions at a certain age doesn't necessarily always have the drive someone that rises up from the middle class over poverty does" on his most recent podcast.

Rosen definitely wants to succeed and be a successful NFL QB, but does he want it as bad as some of the other college QB's? That's my only question. Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice weren't necessarily the most athletic WR's of all time, but hardly anyone can argue they didn't work harder than anyone during their respective NFL era's.

To be fair I need to be equally critical of Mayfield as i am Rosen.

... and Darnold reminds me of Leinart.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

Apparently he thinks Rosen changed, which people can do, especially during the college years.

Pretty sure it's called "mat·u·ra·tion"...

3 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Dilfer called Rosen, "untitled" during his elite 11 camp back when he was 17  

Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice weren't necessarily the most athletic WR's of all time, but hardly anyone can argue they didn't work harder than anyone during their respective NFL era's.

So is he now Prince Rosen or Sir Rosen?

I watched Fitzgerald in person when Pitt came to A&M. He was one of the two best receivers I've seen that close up. Guy had magic hands. One pass he caught he was triple covered. Eight hands went up and two hands came away with the ball. I still don't know how he did it. Just magic!

The “Rosen isn’t liked by his team” thread seems a little fishy to me. It’s always some shadowy, hush-hush, I know a guy who knows a guy who hates Rosen situation.  I’ve read a lot of ambiguous speculation about how everyone hates the guy, but it seems that sources willing to put their name on it don’t feel that way. Ive read two articles now that have featured named teammates saying that Rosen being disliked by the team is totally overblown by the media, and that they’re glad to “go to battle with him”.  Not saying the kid can’t be a prick, but does anyone believe Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers can’t be a prick? 

To me the concussions are a far larger red flag than any anything else. 

Rosen just looks like one of these kids that just cannot bulk up .. I have doubts about his durability...

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Wait for the hate from Cal.

no hate. got nothin. never did. just dumb opinions, a few here and there smarter than yours.;)

19 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

... Aaron Rodgers can’t be a prick? 

Not sure about "prick", but I was just reading an article about how Rodgers was thought to be a little "strange" coming out of college and how that fed his fall in Round 1.

As for the concussions... a concern for sure, but how much of one is a question for the medical staff. I don't think 2 (possibly 3?) in 2.5 seasons of play with intense focus on the subject is particularly alarming. However, if a medical review of the impacts that produced them find the blows should have been inconsequential for the average athlete, then you have to pass.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure about "prick", but I was just reading an article about how Rodgers was thought to be a little "strange" coming out of college and how that fed his fall in Round 1.

As for the concussions... a concern for sure, but how much of one is a question for the medical staff. I don't think 2 (possibly 3?) in 2.5 seasons of play with intense focus on the subject is particularly alarming. However, if a medical review of the impacts that produced them find the blows should have been inconsequential for the average athlete, then you have to pass.

What I heard was Rodgers put people off because he challenged authority and was outspoken which seems eerily similar to a lot of the questions surrounding Rosen. Either way, most elite QBs can be difficult to deal with at times because they’re obsessive and ultra focused on winning instead of making people feel good. 

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Brady himself is the same height but only 10lbs heavier... what is this "bulking up" Sheet we're talking about?  

Tom has it right, muscle pliability is a big deal for QB's and plays a more important role in absorbing hits.   

That stuff doesn't tell the whole story. Body composition matters. Brady is pretty stout. Rosen's a twig. Russell Wilson and some other QBs with his height and weight look totally different too.

10 hours ago, wargograw said:

That stuff doesn't tell the whole story. Body composition matters. Brady is pretty stout. Rosen's a twig. Russell Wilson and some other QBs with his height and weight look totally different too.

Rosen is listed at 6'4 218.   Rodgers listed at 6'2  225.   Rosen may be a twig now....but he could easily get up to like 230 with some nutrition and weight training.   Brady is only 7 pounds heavier than Rosen is. 

Tom Brady is listed at 6/4  225.   

Winston   6/4  231

Matt Ryan  6/4 220

Mariota 6/4 222

Luck 6/4 234

Alex Smith 6/4 217

Sam Bradford 6/4  224

Kizer  6/4 233

Josh McCown 6/4 213

I don't see Rosen's weight being a major issue for him at all.    10-15 pounds should be no problem at all.

http://fftoday.com/rankings/playerrank.php?o=2&PosID=10&LeagueID=1&order_by=Rank&sort_order=ASC&cur_page=0

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Tom Brady is listed at 6/4  225.   

And that's today...

At his Combine Tom was lighter than Rosen.

bJomQ2i9D5wmqskc6nPBbMCC_500.png

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Is that 6' 4.3 "  211?   Do they measure them that specific down to tenths of an inch?

What? Mixing of standard and metric systems? :o I believe the last digit represents eighths of an inch, but I am not positive about that.

In any case you do have to admire the "whiteboard" technology employed back at the turn of the century...

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Not only has Rosen matured.... at his "worst", he NEVER was as bad as he's being made out to be.

But hey, gossip is always more fun than reality - for people who don't want to bother thinking critically.

The Truth About Rosen

Trust me man, if you didn't see the other threads this was covered, at length that that all the personality claims are dubious at best. But people like Cal and stillmotion are just people who never listen to objective facts and live in their own little world.

As long as Rosen clears medically, which I'll note is indeed an IF, he's clearly the best prospect in the draft. 

Here's the quote from Peter King's MMQB this week-
“Of all my Elite 11 prospects, I probably was hardest on him. We didn’t get along well. He did not like me at all. I was hard on him because I saw greatness in him and I wanted to bring it out. At 17, he was a little uncoachable and a little entitled. … We had him as a counselor last year. I could not have been more impressed. He’s done a 180. He’s a different type of kid than people remember him being. He’s growing up and he wants to be great. He’s intellectual. He has conviction … I was with him for four days this summer. I said, ‘I think you have what it takes to be special. Don’t let people coach it out of you.’ Half the GMs won’t like him. They will feel threatened by him … Thirty-two out of 32 people will say Sam Darnold has all the right stuff. He just kind of makes everyone feel good. Josh is gonna piss off half the people. But the people that get it, the people that really like him, the people that understand what it means to be the best at the highest level, will get that he has that stuff.”— Trent Dilfer, the head coach of Elite 11, the high-school quarterback showcase and competition, founded in 1999, on “The Rich Eisen Show,’’ talking about first-round quarterback prospect Josh Rosen of UCLA.

"sigh"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743367-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-this-the-worst-draft-class-of-the-decade

Said one area scout: "Would you rather have the No. 1 pick and spend it on Josh Rosen or the No. 20 pick and draft Baker Mayfield? You can't convince me one is better than the other right now."

"Discretion is the better part of valor"

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

"sigh"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743367-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-this-the-worst-draft-class-of-the-decade

Said one area scout: "Would you rather have the No. 1 pick and spend it on Josh Rosen or the No. 20 pick and draft Baker Mayfield? You can't convince me one is better than the other right now."

"Discretion is the better part of valor"

That area scout is a) made up or B- unemployed soon.... either or 

Said one area scout: "Would you rather have the No. 1 pick and spend it on Josh Rosen or the No. 20 pick and draft Baker Mayfield? You can't convince me one is better than the other right now."

The thing is...I basically agree with this sentiment.

And everybody here being in all these different "camps"  simply adds to that perception.

Archived