THE BROWNS BOARD

2018 Mock Drafts

darren15

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

"Usually" means that some are prepared.

You don't take a QB #1 overall who needs his mechanics "tweaked".

I'm trying to think of an NFL starter whose mechanics were flawed coming out of college. Anyone?

Closest I can think of is Wilson.  Still had some of that baseball motion in his throw at times.  

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If Joe retires, our draft changes dramatically. There are likely two, top ten OTs in this class.

Is Orlando Brown one of them? I haven't seen many mocks with us taking him at 4, but there is one. Everyone probably knows his old man played for the Browns, and this kid is huuuuge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/108868530

weighed 400 lbs in jr high?!? Vurt de furk? Seems to have slimmed down to a svelt 350ish.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm trying to think of an NFL starter whose mechanics were flawed coming out of college. Anyone?

I could have sworn that Aaron Rodgers radically changed his throwing motion in the three years he sat on the bench.

40 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I could have sworn that Aaron Rodgers radically changed his throwing motion in the three years he sat on the bench.

Probably worth saying that mechanics don't just involve throwing motion.  Shoulders, feet, hips.... I probably could have thought of a better example ( if one exists)

Russell's footwork was pretty solid throughout college. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And his approach to the game changed depending on his OL, RBs, WRs, his own injuries. Biggest Mr. Cool since Joe Cool.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Almost every QB out of college needs their footwork, or weight transfer, or where the hold the ball while in the pocket, or something tweaked.  Bernie had to come over the top more out of college.

Apparently Joe Thomas wants Drew Brees to come on over.  (how cute)  -  Who can blame him for wanting a QB to play at a high lever Right Now?!

We're in this endless loop of wondering who our starting QB will be next year, thing.  (Please get me the top rated QB with the best mechanics with pick #1......tall drink of water, preferably)   -  After that, we need a free safety, WR, CB, RB, OT....one of those should be there for us at #4.  Then we go to the top of round two with a couple more chances to attach the list of FS, WR, CB, RB, OT.  Maybe something like last year happens and we wind up back into round 1 for a third pick

I have FS very high on my draft list because I hate that we play Peppers out in the Hinterlands because of our lack of a FS.  But all else equal, if an offensive player is available...draft offense...our offense cannot be allowed to be horrible any more!

On 1/18/2018 at 11:05 AM, calfoxwc said:

Darnold is the pick is most of these drafts. Josh Allen is the other qb. One is missing completely.... guess who?

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/cleveland-browns-2018-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-wyomings-josh-allen-at-no-1-overall

Bleacher Report (Matt Miller) – Link

Pick No. 1: Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

Pick No. 4: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Rotoworld (Josh Norris) – Link

RealGM (Jeff Risdon) – Link

Pick No. 4: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

CBS Sports (R.J. White) – Link

Pewter Report (Trevor Sikkema) – Link

Pick No. 1: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

New York Upstate (Matthew Fairburn) – Link

Pick No. 4: Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Draft Site – Link

Pick No. 1: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

SEC Country – Link

Sounds like somebody took Mel Kiper hostage...

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Sounds like somebody took Mel Kiper hostage...

Wow what great research. ........or somebody has too much free time on their hands. :wacko:

On 1/18/2018 at 11:05 AM, calfoxwc said:

Darnold is the pick is most of these drafts. Josh Allen is the other qb. One is missing completely.... guess who?

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/cleveland-browns-2018-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-wyomings-josh-allen-at-no-1-overall

Pewter Report (Trevor Sikkema) – Link

Pick No. 1: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

After further review, this was a different than the article I read and posted up.   In the one I posted, Mel Kiper sounded like he had your hunting rifle upside his temple after drinking a Moonshine Milkshake: 

Mock Draft Roundup: Mel Kiper Jr., other draft analysts make their 1st projections for Browns by Andrew Gribble

‘Tis the season.

As the NFL playoffs roll on, the flow of mock drafts is hitting its stride. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. put out his first edition today, joining numerous others in the community of prognosticators who will be generating plenty of conversation topics leading up to the 2018 NFL Draft.

Just 98 days and counting before the Browns are officially on the clock for the first pick for a second consecutive year.

We’ll be rounding up these mock drafts throughout the next few months, especially in the wake of some of the NFL offseason’s landmark events, such as the Combine, free agency, pro days and in-person visits.

Consider this the pre-Senior Bowl edition.

Mel Kiper Jr. - ESPN.com

1. QB Josh Allen (Wyoming)

4. RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State)

Of note: Allen is drawing a lot of attention because of his ideal measurables (6-5, 222) and his diverse skill set. He’ll have a big opportunity to showcase himself at next week’s Senior Bowl.

Matt Miller - Bleacher Report

1. QB Sam Darnold (USC)

4. Barkley

Of note: There was, perhaps, no bigger of a big-play threat in college football last year than Barkley, who averaged nearly 6 yards a carry and more than 11 on receptions. He also returned two kicks for touchdowns.

Bryan Fischer - Athlon Sports

1. Barkley

4. Josh Rosen (UCLA)

Of note: In this scenario, the Browns would be taking the second quarterback in the draft, as Fischer projects the Giants, who hold the No. 2 pick, to take Darnold.

Chris Trapasso - CBSSports.com

1. Darnold

4. OT Orlando Brown (Oklahoma)

Of note: Brown is the son of the former Browns offensive lineman with the same name. The Browns haven’t used a first-round pick on an offensive tackle since Joe Thomasicon-article-link.gif in 2007.

Eric Galko - Sporting News

1. Darnold

4. Barkley

Of note: If the projection holds, Darnold would be the fourth USC quarterback selected in the top 10 since 2003.

Josh Norris - Rotoworld

1. Darnold

4. Barkley

Of note: Norris has just one other running back going in the first round (LSU’s Derrius Guice at No. 20).

Walter Cherepinsky - WalterFootball.com

1. Barkley

4. DB Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

Of note: Fitzpatrick, a three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, did a little bit of everything for one of the deepest secondaries in the nation. Kiper considers him to be the third-best overall player in the draft.

Luke Easterling - USA Today

1. Rosen

4. Fitzpatrick

Of note: Rosen started three seasons at UCLA with his best coming this past year, when he threw for 3,756 yards, 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Steve Palazzolo - Pro Football Focus

1. QB Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)

4. Fitzpatrick

Of note: One of the most polarizing prospects in this year’s draft, Mayfield is coming off a banner college career that saw him lead the Sooners twice to the College Football Playoff and win the 2017 Heisman Trophy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me likey-likesies the Darnold and Mayfield ideas.  I wouldn't mind seeing the center field of our secondary transition from Mengya Fotch to Minkah Fetch.

I don't know what to think of the Barkley idea yet.  The last time his HC was asked about him after their Bowl victory coming off the field, he said the kid's going to run some 4.3s in front of the scouts.  That or PSU is going to have to get their stopwatches re-calibrated.  Mike Oliphant ran those too; and he never became the RB Byner became (especially when he made the Pro Bowl with the Redskins).  Like Kareem Hunt showed everyone, the good RBs of the draft don't end in round 1 or even round 2.

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I remembered this FWIW RIvers and Stafford, found Sanchez and Gabbert also. I believe good quarterback gurus can help. Now #1 quarterbacks? 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1402977-breaking-down-phillip-rivers-matthew-stafford-nfls-most-mechanically-flawed

The good news about mechanical flaws is that they can be corrected, and in some cases—like Rivers and Stafford—quarterbacks can overcome their flaws on their way to being highly productive franchise quarterbacks.

For Sanchez and Gabbert, the arm talent is there; they just have to clean up their footwork and decision-making.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I remembered this FWIW RIvers and Stafford, found Sanchez and Gabbert also. I believe good quarterback gurus can help. Now #1 quarterbacks? 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1402977-breaking-down-phillip-rivers-matthew-stafford-nfls-most-mechanically-flawed

The good news about mechanical flaws is that they can be corrected, and in some cases—like Rivers and Stafford—quarterbacks can overcome their flaws on their way to being highly productive franchise quarterbacks.

For Sanchez and Gabbert, the arm talent is there; they just have to clean up their footwork and decision-making.

Kosar didn't do too bad either.  I'm glad our coaches never tried to Dr Frankenstein away his unique delivery.  Unfortunately, injuries to his shoulder and elbow lowered his release even further to the extent it seemed like way too many passes were getting batted down.  It pretty much ended his tenure as starter.  It was nice to see him learn from a veteran (Danielson) the year Mack and Byner both rushed for over a 1000 yards apiece. Bernie ended up starting more than half his rookie year in 85, which was very sensible considering where this team was in 1984. Lindy Infante arrived in 1986; and the excitement of the Kardiac Kids returned.

IMO, cleaning up bad footwork that was practiced and perfected for the length of time starting in college makes NFL intervention almost unrealistic.  I heard a former NFL scout on Tampa radio saying he thinks Lamar Jackson is way too conditioned to run as soon as he sees his first target of the progressions covered. It's been practiced and perfected to the extent it's practically an instinctive reaction to pressure.   He reminds me of a Blaine Gabbert with more fast twitchies.

13 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Taking away the needs of a team  who would you say are the best 5 players in this draft irrespective of position ?

Good question; but there's still a couple important All Star Games, Indy Combines and College Pro Days days that could put today's list into a blender.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:07 PM, Tour2ma said:

I love how every QB prospect in this draft is a "sit and learn" prospect... except one.

I'll take "the one."

I'm really concerned about Joe Thomas returning. I think he probably WANTS to, but he's not coming back unless he's confident he can play at a high level (obviously he didn't TELL me this, just a hunch). The injury he suffered was actually one of the worst ones because of the time and training it requires to come back from. He can't work out much of his upper body, and when he finally IS able to strengthen his injured arm, he's going to be starting from close to zero as I understand (from a tricep standpoint anyway). Building up that muscle is going to take a long time, and I'm not sure when he can even begin to do it. Just looking at Joe tells me he's lost about 25 pounds, and I'm officially worried about his return. Again, I think the desire is there, but a torn triceps is no joke. As many of you probably know, the triceps is a much larger muscle group than the biceps, and it's pivotal in "pushing" and bracing actions...something extremely important for OL. 

I seriously feel that Joe Thomas believes in Hue Jackson, and I especially think he's dying to play with someone like Alex Smith (or comparable veteran) at QB. Heck, Joe openly talked about wanting Drew Brees on the Browns and said he wouldn't be surprised if Drew played for another team because he hasn't signed an extension with the Saints yet, and many veteran qb's switch teams at the end of their careers. Now I can't see THAT happening, but I would have to think that one of the overriding factors an older, veteran qb considers is the strength of a team's OL, and ours is pretty good. Again, it's a zillion to one it happens, but fun to dream about! 

Joe Thomas is weighing up if we can win a game next season then if he feels we can he might return and retire right after the win whatever week it is then he can say he went out on a high :)

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Kosar didn't do too bad either.  I'm glad our coaches never tried to Dr Frankenstein away his unique delivery.  Unfortunately, injuries to his shoulder and elbow lowered his release even further to the extent it seemed like way too many passes were getting batted down.  It pretty much ended his tenure as starter.  It was nice to see him learn from a veteran (Danielson) the year Mack and both both rushed for over a 1000 yards apiece. Bernie ended up starting more than half his rookie year in 85, which was very sensible considering where this team was in 1984. Lindy Infante arrived in 1986; and the excitement of the Kardiac Kids returned.

IMO, cleaning up bad footwork that was practiced and perfected for the length of time starting in college makes NFL intervention almost unrealistic.  I heard a former NFL scout on Tampa radio saying he thinks Lamar Jackson is way too conditioned to run as soon as he sees his first target of the progressions covered. It's been practiced and perfected to the extent it's practically an instinctive reaction to pressure.   He reminds me of a Blaine Gabbert with more fast twitchies.

Bernie also won a National Championship at the U and played several years there while Mark Tressman was there.

He (and maybe more Model) basically snookered him away from everyone else to go to his team the BROWNS where they had an established OL (I heard once they hadn't drafted an OL in 10 years back during that era), Mack & Byner behind him, a really good receiving corp, a good defense.......did I leave anything out?

Kosar & Kizer both have 5 letters and begin with K, that's about it. 

8 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Bernie also won a National Championship at the U and played several years there while Mark Tressman was there.

He (and maybe more Model) basically snookered him away from everyone else to go to his team the BROWNS where they had an established OL (I heard once they hadn't drafted an OL in 10 years back during that era), Mack & Byner behind him, a really good receiving corp, a good defense.......did I leave anything out?

Kosar & Kizer both have 5 letters and begin with K, that's about it. 

The moves to get Kosar were primarily engineered by Ernie Accorsi I believe.  Art would not have had the acumen to make those moves.

Still waiting for a name...

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Almost every QB out of college needs their footwork, or weight transfer, or where the hold the ball while in the pocket, or something tweaked.  Bernie had to come over the top more out of college.

Bernie raised his release point? Flug disagrees... and so do I.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

So... 2 QBs overcame flaws, which is not the same as corrected them.

How'd that footwork clean up go for Sanchez and Gabbert?

Decision-making? Just a non-specific catch-all phrase for any QB with turnover issues.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Kosar didn't do too bad either.  I'm glad our coaches never tried to Dr Frankenstein away his unique delivery.

IMO, cleaning up bad footwork that was practiced and perfected for the length of time starting in college makes NFL intervention almost unrealistic.

Pretty much bad anything, Flugs.

I remember when we drafted Couch and Chris Palmer said, '... all we have to do is clean up his mechanics a little bit." And I said, "Oh sh!t..."

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Bernie raised his release point? Flug disagrees... and so do I.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Nope, He never lost his ability to sling it around a DLineman.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Still waiting for a name...

Any Tackle not from Florida State Uckiversity:P Edit--got a name for ya..watching Shrine Bowl, worked for steelers with Villa so.., am watching this Brett Toth from Army playing LT..He's signed up for Senior Bowl also..Ox strong, ranked 5th in run block, check,check at second level..no pass pro issues, yet..  

We talk about next years team and next year's draft at the end of November. We (me especially) have to post ridiculous topics because there is nothing to talk about Browns-wise.

I'll tell you the real fukced up thing about being a Browns fan................When the biggest names of free agency come available, we speculate, imagine, hope, and analyze, BUT........we never acquire top veteran talent. Why even talk about Cousins,or Garrapolo? The Browns are never going to be in play for these type players. They cause us to not be $60 million under the cap, and THAT is what gives Haslam a tossed salad.

Really, this franchise sucks big black ghetto Dik. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, Ghoolie said:

We talk about next years team and next year's draft at the end of November. We (me especially) have to post ridiculous topics because there is nothing to talk about Browns-wise.

I'll tell you the real fukced up thing about being a Browns fan................When the biggest names of free agency come available, we speculate, imagine, hope, and analyze, BUT........we never acquire top veteran talent. Why even talk about Cousins,or Garrapolo? The Browns are never going to be in play for these type players. They cause us to not be $60 million under the cap, and THAT is what gives Haslam a tossed salad.

Really, this franchise sucks big black ghetto Dik. 

whats worse is draft season we all look at the top players who we could draft and they do the opposite 

4 hours ago, syd said:

whats worse is draft season we all look at the top players who we could draft and they do the opposite 

Most every draft grade looked like the SI one from last year.......

Cleveland Browns: A-

April 29, 2017

The Browns entered the draft with two first-round picks and wound up making three on Thursday: DE/OLB Myles Garrett at No. 1 overall, followed by S Jabrill Peppers (No. 25, after a trade down) and TE David Njoku (No. 29, after a trade up). The Peppers and Njoku picks, without question, indicate Cleveland wants to stockpile athleticism, even at the expense of immediate returns. The pick that really swings this class, though, happened at 52, which is where Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer landed. Hard to imagine the Browns thought he would be there when they passed on a QB several times earlier. DT Larry Ogunjobi (No. 65) and CB Howard Wilson (No. 126) are great picks for a rebuilding team—Wilson especially, because he has top-two corner upside. Using No. 185 on DT Caleb Brantley was a misstep, regardless of his talent. He recently was arrested for misdemeanor battery and accused of punching a woman........

Archived