THE BROWNS BOARD

League, Union Looking In To “Mangini Cruiser” Incident?

cambridgeho

POSTED BY ProFootballTalk.com: MAY 30, 2009,

Mike Florio on May 29, 2009, 10:33 p.m. EDT

The fallout continues regarding the decision of Browns coach Eric Mangini to take his entire rookie class on a “voluntary” ten-hour bus trek from Cleveland to Hartford, Connecticut to participate in a one-day football camp.

After Saturday’s camp, the “Mangini Cruiser” will load up the players for the ten-hour trip back to Cleveland.

One league source told us tonight that both the league and the NFLPA are looking into whether Mangini’s actions violate the CBA and/or other potentially applicable rules.

As to those who think that the exercise represents an effect Remember The Titans-style “it’s good for you even if you don’t like it” bonding exercise, think again. Per the source, the players are “f–king pissed” that they’ve been subjected to 20 hours of bus travel at a time when they otherwise should be having a couple days off from “voluntary” workouts that they dare not miss.

It’s all part of the reality in Cleveland that Mangini rules the roost with an iron fist. As one source explained it, even G.M. George Kokinis is “scared to death” of the guy.

Our take? Mangini is trying to force on those around him the kind of respect that Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells command.

The difference? Mangini has done nothing to earn it.

And, based on this weekend’s bus trip, he is doing more than enough to lose whatever respect he has managed to muster through three NFL seasons as a head coach, which featured as many playoff appearances as pink slips.

I just want to know how this is a bad thing.

Guest AdaM
OBR says this is much ado about nothing as far as the Browns and Browns players are concerned. It's not really a hardship.

I saw that article on PFT yesterday, most of the comments are people telling Florio what a fuking moron he is.

I saw that article on PFT yesterday, most of the comments are people telling Florio what a fuking moron he is.

Wow - Rookies are pissed - guys that are getting paid to play A GAME.

You xxxxers can go try and find a job in the real world paying what you make now with the 'skills' you learned in college.

Oh. What's that? You didn't learn anything in college and won't be able to do anything else? Well, STFU, then.

I guess this is how EM will tell the players from the guys who just want to get paid.

Agreed this is nothing but a bunch of blather; just filler for the fishwrap and something to talk about....who really cares

Guest AdaM

You xxxxers can go try and find a job in the real world paying what you make now with the 'skills' you learned in college.

Oh. What's that? You didn't learn anything in college and won't be able to do anything else? Well, STFU, then.

I guess this is how EM will tell the players from the guys who just want to get paid.

The rookies aren't complaining, people who hate mangini are complaining.

Amen. Nice take.

It's amazing to me how much "professional" writers go out of their way to report a few facts and then "analyze" those few facts into a piece that once again -- shockingly -- compares Mangini to Parcells and Belichick.

It really is disturbing that guys get paid to do this type of "journalism".

How about actually telling us what the camp was? Or why Mangini had them go? Or maybe even, I don't know, crazy thought here, GETTING SOMEONE ON RECORD with an ACTUAL SUBSTANTIVE COMMENT.

"f---ing pissed"? Seriously? That's his basis for his conclusion that Mangini is a control-freak-a**hole-most-hated-guy-ever blah blah blah?

It's ridiculous.

My opinion, based on these paltry facts:

These are all young men who are on an extended job interview. Their employer gave them a chance to take a ride somewhere and do something together. ANY ONE OF THEM could have said "no, thanks, coach!" and went about his business.

But, if Florio even got his basic facts straight, they CHOSE to get on the bus, right? They did this camp or whatever, WILLINGLY, right? No one took them hostage? No laws were broken, right?

Then STFU, Florio and the prima donna who gave the b.s. "f---ng pissed" quote, and let's remember that these are 22-year olds trying to GET A JOB to PLAY FOOTBALL.

Y'know, the more of these stories I hear, the MORE I LOVE MANGINI.

I really cant imagine anything coming from this..it was "voluntary" and the rooks had to know its a fairly long trip to hartford..florio just sucks and so does the league and the union if they want to make this into something....this had to be good for the kids and the rooks...

It's amazing to me how much "professional" writers go out of their way to report a few facts and then "analyze" those few facts into a piece that once again -- shockingly -- compares Mangini to Parcells and Belichick.

It really is disturbing that guys get paid to do this type of "journalism".

How about actually telling us what the camp was? Or why Mangini had them go? Or maybe even, I don't know, crazy thought here, GETTING SOMEONE ON RECORD with an ACTUAL SUBSTANTIVE COMMENT.

"f---ing pissed"? Seriously? That's his basis for his conclusion that Mangini is a control-freak-a**hole-most-hated-guy-ever blah blah blah?

It's ridiculous.

My opinion, based on these paltry facts:

These are all young men who are on an extended job interview. Their employer gave them a chance to take a ride somewhere and do something together. ANY ONE OF THEM could have said "no, thanks, coach!" and went about his business.

But, if Florio even got his basic facts straight, they CHOSE to get on the bus, right? They did this camp or whatever, WILLINGLY, right? No one took them hostage? No laws were broken, right?

Then STFU, Florio and the prima donna who gave the b.s. "f---ng pissed" quote, and let's remember that these are 22-year olds trying to GET A JOB to PLAY FOOTBALL.

Y'know, the more of these stories I hear, the MORE I LOVE MANGINI.

Agreed & crap like that is why I SELDOM read sports anymore. If the work I perform was as crappy as what most of these "writers(?)" put out, I'd be unemployed, living under a bridge, raiding dumpsters.

No, its not a nice take. Its completely believing the shit Florio is writing.

Which may be true, which is what I was commenting on.

Since you don't have anything substantive to say disprove it, other than 'some people on the intarwebz are calling florio a moron', why not produce something actually disproving it.

There is THIS article on Cleveland.com with an ACTUAL spokesman talking about the trip and that Mangini was in Hartford:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale....xml&coll=2

It seems that trip is real.

Its a good bet some guys are pissed. Do you think these agents are actually dumb enough to reveal their (the agent's) names?

IMO, EM is doing a fine job. Some of these guys need to learn there is shit they're going to have to do that they don't want to. That's life.

No, its not a nice take. Its completely believing the shit Florio is writing.

Which may be true, which is what I was commenting on.

Since you don't have anything substantive to say disprove it, other than 'some people on the intarwebz are calling florio a moron', why not produce something actually disproving it.

Oh wait, gosh. Then there THIS article on Cleveland.com with an ACTUAL spokesman talking about the trip and that Mangini was in Hartford:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale....xml&coll=2

It seems that trip is real.

Its a good bet some guys are pissed. Do you think these agents are actually dumb enough to reveal their names?

Rich Eisen twittering in support of Fiorio saying "Mangini has lost this team". What a tool. Don Carey twittered about it and it seemed like no big deal.

You have to be kidding me Ocon....Eisen actually agrees that Mangini has already "Lost this team"?

This guy is basically the spokesman for the NFL network and he's defending and agreeing with statements like that?

Calling him a Tool may be too good for him. I've disliked the guy ever since he started refering to himself and his time at ESPN as the "Rich Eisen experience". Made me want to puke.

I have no idea what obligations the Browns coaches and players have to the NFL network when it comes to interviews and media exposure but if I were Mangini I'd tell them to take a hike the first time they ask for an interview....It would be especially sweet if Mangin turns the ship around.

Well guys....

I WAS AT THE CAMP.

Did Florio mention today that, in a show of solidarity with his players, that Mangini RODE THE BUS BACK with the players?

The players didn't seem at all put out to me and if you're a rookie who may not even make the team....how can helping 800 inner city kids, most of whom want your autograph just because your shirt says "Cleveland Browns" be bad?

Here is an article about the camp and some great photos.

Guest 88fingerslewy

After looking at the pictures of the camp, Rex Freakin' Ryan was helping out too. The same guy who took over after EM was fired. Talk about a show of class on EM's part. This camp was obviously a selfless showing of giving something back to the community. The media seems to get scummier as time goes by.

I remember EM saying in one of his early pressers, you never forget where you came from. Kudos to Rex Ryan for helping out too.

"The difference? Mangini has done nothing to earn it."

WRONG!

He earned it when he was hired because RAC let the team walk all over him because he was a nice guy.

This team needs a kick in the ass.

Yeah the team needed a good kick in the ass...but I'll play devil's advocated and suggest maybe he meant that Mangini hasn't built consistent winning teams yet, which as much as we hope he will, he still has yet to prove himself. I'm excited for the new season, but after all the hope for the Cavs has come crashing down, I'm still worried about a relatively unproven coach and a completely unproven starting QB. Now to down another bottle of Pepto to make it through another week of no football.

Archived