THE BROWNS BOARD

Hafner Still Ailing

Beanpot

Unless this has changed recently, I'm pretty sure that MLB allows position players 20 days for a minor league rehab assignment (30 days for pitchers), while the player continues to accrue major league service time and the team doesn't have to use an option (if applicable). Those 20 days are running out for Pronk and Wedge is getting antsy:

Cleveland Indians blog: Travis Hafner feels more pain and fatigue in right shoulder

Posted by phoynes May 30, 2009 18:11PM

CLEVELAND -- The Indians said in the middle of last week that Travis Hafner, whose rehab from a sore right shoulder was delayed when one of his "rib heads' popped loose and had to be put back in place, would play Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Class AAA Columbus and be activated Monday.

You didn't for a minute think it would be that easy, did you?

From the club that brought you Ernie Comacho hanging the bone chips that were removed from his right elbow in a plastic cup from the top of his locker just to prove to his detractors that he was really hurt, we bring you the Tales of Travis and his endless rehab.

Manager Eric Wedge told reporters before Saturday's game that Hafner's right shoulder was sore and fatigued after he went 1-for-3 with two walks for Columbus on Friday. Wedge speculated that Hafner would not play Saturday night, but would try to play Sunday or Monday.

Wedge said Hafner's 20-day rehab expires after Wednesday.

Hafner underwent surgery on his right shoulder in October after playing only 57 games last year. He made it through spring training and the first month of the season before he felt pain in the shoulder and was placed on the disabled list April 29.

"If he doesn't play tonight, we're going to have to put another short term plan together," said Wedge. "I'll tell you, if he doesn't play tonight, we're going to want him to play tomorrow. We still have a few more days."

When asked if he was frustrated over the situation, Wedge said, "Yeah, that's a good word."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...log_travis.html

Should have gone to Castro first! Here's his breakdown of Pronk and other goodness:

Regarding tonight's other big game in the Cleveland sporting scene, well, I think this link pretty much says it all: http://www.nba.com/media/cavaliers/comeoncavs.wma

EXCRUCIATING MINUTIA OF THE DAY...

*The news of the day is that Travis Hafner's right shoulder is still bothering him. No, don't double-check the timestamp on this entry. This isn't May 30, 2008, when Pronk first landed on the DL. It's May 30, 2009, and Hafner, nearing the end of a rehab assignment during his second DL stint with the shoulder problem, is still sore. The rehab runs up Wednesday. At that point, he either has to come back here to play or to get further treatment and restart the whole process.

*Hafner is batting .429 (12-for-28) with a homer, three doubles and six RBIs in eight games on the rehab. That's encouraging. The shoulder news is not.

*Anthony Reyes will visit Dr. Lewis Yocum in California on Tuesday to get a second opinion on his right elbow, but it's pretty much a certainty that Reyes will have an ulnar nerve transposition performed on the elbow, ending his '09 season. The recovery from such a procedure is four to six months. "It sucks," Reyes said. "I worked my butt off this offseason."

*Grady Sizemore will continue to DH these next two days before the Indians decide whether or not to test out his inflamed left elbow.

*Brad Grant, director of amateur scouting, said this year's Draft class is heavy on pitching, at both the high school and collegiate levels. Safe to assume the Indians will be targeting pitching with the 15th overall pick in the first round. The Draft takes place June 9-11.

*Earlier this month, I informed you the Indians will have paid Masa Kobayashi $95,663.75 per out, when all is said and done. Here's another troubling tally. The Indians signed David Dellucci to a three-year, $11.5 million contract to hit right-handed pitching, right? Well, in three years, Dellucci racked up a grand total of 127 hits off right-handers. That comes out to $90,551.18 per hit off a righty.

*Jim Ingraham of the News-Herald did a much simpler mathematical equation when he pointed out that the Indians will have paid Dellucci $4 million per RBI (1) by the end of this season. It's good work if you can get it.

*The Indians are fourth in the Majors in runs scored and third in the big leagues in on-base percentage.

*From the "who would have thunk it" department, RHP Matt Herges' 8 1/3-inning scoreless streak is a season-long by a Tribe reliever. Lefties are 2-for-23 off Herges.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20..._surrender.html

It may be complete second-guessing, but seriously. Last year wasn't just giving him an extension during a (apparently injury-caused) slump, no, Shapiro decided to give him an increase with an escalating contract up to $13M.

You can have the Brandon Phillips situation, the Wedge backing, the unwillingness to land Miguel Cabrera. For my money, that's the single most boneheaded decision he's made as GM.

But I'm a Shapiro fan, and hey Pronk, get well soon.

the unwillingness to land Miguel Cabrera.

Refresh my memory on this one, CIMO. I think I remember reading that Shapiro inquired about Cabrera during the Winter Meetings that eventually led to the Fla/Det trade, but that he was taken aback at the asking price (Miller, Asdrubal (maybe?) and then some). Not sure if I have that right or not.

Beanpot

Cav's time

According to Cot's, he's in the first year of a 4 year/$57 million deal that includes a club option in 2013 (when Pronk will be 36). Seems like he's about that old already.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/c...indians_20.html

Beanpot

I think I'm gonna hurl. What a great contract extension that was. :angry:

Refresh my memory on this one, CIMO. I think I remember reading that Shapiro inquired about Cabrera during the Winter Meetings that eventually led to the Fla/Det trade, but that he was taken aback at the asking price (Miller, Asdrubal (maybe?) and then some). Not sure if I have that right or not.

Beanpot

Cav's time

I can't remember the exact pieces either, but from what I read (or remember reading) it came down to Shapiro not wanting to give up Asdrubal. I was willing to give up whatever they wanted as long as it wasn't Grady, including CC. Instead we got LaPorta for him, who's actually only two years younger than Cabrera and has 184 less career homers.

I suppose money also had a lot to do with. He ended up signing a monster deal with Detroit and maybe Shapiro just knew he wasn't going to be able to sign him long term, especially with Hafner's contract.

Still, Cabrera's on the fast track to the hall of fame, and is the kind of guy who's worth that huge contract. Guaranteed 30+ homers, 115+ RBI, and a career average of .311 at his age is cornerstone stuff.

When you're the GM of a team hesitant to spend the big money, you have to make sure you give it to the right guys. You can't give that huge contract to a 29 year old who didn't show anything until he was 26, who was having a bad year, which was apparently the cause of now about a 2-year long lingering injury.

No one knew what Brandon Phillips would be, no one knows how much Wedge has to do with the losing, no one knows if the Dolans would even be willing to pay Cabrera that kind of cash, but surely someone had to know giving Hafner that contract amidst all the circumstances was a bad, bad idea.

Archived