THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm crushed

DTBH

I was the one steadfastly saying the Cavs would struggle in the playoffs against the elite teams because their 2-6 regular season record against those top 3 other elite teams indicated so. I was showered with "the regular season doesn't mean anything" ridiculous claims and ousted... I believe one person even said to go root for the other teams. People, it wasn't negativity nor was it rooting for other teams. It was reality. I care too much not to brace myself for heartbreak. (And oh so ironically, Masters hasn't been on the board for about two weeks because he was the main one coming at me saying the Cavs wouldn't lose.)

And Chris Broussard agrees with everything I said two and three months ago...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/200...iminated-090531

Essentially, the Cavs don't have as much talent as the other elite teams, and they only won 66 games because they were extremely focused almost every game during the regular season. When push came to shove, Orlando showed who has the highest peak despite not playing as consistent in the regular season and therefore not winning as many regular season games. The same thing would have happened against the Lakers and probably even Denver.

Other things Cavs fans will painfully have to learn the hard way (if they haven't already include):

1. Zydrunas Ilgauskus is a pathetic center. Quit focusing your attention on three or four 18-foot jumpers and actually watch him play the rest of the game. He's miserable at every facet of it. I don't care that he's been a Cav for 12 years this and he's had 19 foot surgeries that. Great heart warming story. You know what isn't heart-warming? When he plays like the biggest pussy that has ever lived so scared of contact that he'll let his opponent dominate the game before he risks getting a bruise. I'm a Cavs fan, and he's NO good for our team. (It'll be interesting to see how Gasol handles Howard since we've had the Gasol v. Ilgauskus convo many times - it'll be much better than Z did, you can bet your bottom dollar.)

2. The Cavs don't have nearly enough overall talent to be a true title contender. Mo Williams is a step in the right direction and Delonte is growing (even he is a problem being out of position and under-sized for the 2G), but other than that they have a bunch of serviceable, one dimentional role players right up and down the roster. Mickael Pietrus outscored the Cavs entire bench in the series. Get some REAL GOD DAMN BASKETBALL PLAYERS WHO CAN ACTUALLY PLAY ATHLETIC BASKETBALL.

3. The Cavs are stuck behind the 8-ball at coach. Mike Brown is a fraud, if it wasn't for LeBron he'd probably be a towel boy somewhere. And you can bet the Cavs will be stuck with him for at least 3-4 more years (I don't know what his contract looks like) unless they drop to like 30 wins or something. Indeed, he doesn't have the first clue what he's doing but his laughable coach of the year award along with LeBron James will keep him looking good enough to fool people into thinking he's a good coach... maybe just enough to keep blowing the playoffs year after year.

And for all Cleveland sports...

4. The national media doesn't hate Cleveland sports. They call it how they see it, and that includes this year's Cavs. We haven't won since 1964 so guess what that means - they've been right every year. When we have a real team that is a real title contender and isn't a fraud that will blow it in the playoffs, we'll get respect from the national media.

I've watch the Cavs for 20 years and I'm broken over it, so don't take this is bragging about my predictions. I just want some sort of silver lining to feel good about right now, knowing that I wasn't a "negativity" pushing jackass and I was just smart enough to brace myself for the fall.

We're on the same page a lot of the time, but I have to disagree with this one.

2. The Cavs don't have nearly enough overall talent to be a true title contender. Mo Williams is a step in the right direction and Delonte is growing (even he is a problem being out of position and under-sized for the 2G), but other than that they have a bunch of serviceable, one dimentional role players right up and down the roster. Mickael Pietrus outscored the Cavs entire bench in the series. Get some REAL GOD DAMN BASKETBALL PLAYERS WHO CAN ACTUALLY PLAY ATHLETIC BASKETBALL.

This might sound completely idiotic, but all I think we're really missing is Amare, Bosh or Dirk. Delonte is turning into an elite role player (oxymoron?), being able to do everything, shoot the 3, create his midrange pullup, run the point, and clamp down on D. Mo would be a picture perfect 3rd scoring option in my mind. He can obviously beat up on inferior teams, but against someone like Orlando if we had one of those 3 guys I mentioned drawing defenses and of course LeBron getting doubled and tripled every possession, Mo would be forgotten and ready to torch them. He has the ability to be a great piece, just not enough to be the #2.

Ferry definitely has his work cut out for him now, but if he can get a decent big man in free agency (preferably one who can dunk), draft a wing player (I mentioned a few good ones in my draft thread), and trade our expiring contracts (Ben and Z) for good players from a team desperate for cash, this team is still a contender.

Add that to my dream scenario (which really isn't that farfetched), where we'd get cap room from Varejao opting out and Wallace retiring, sign Kidd at a discount, Toronto, Phoenix, and/or Dallas is out of contention at the trade deadline and we trade Mo, Hickson, a throw-in (Boob or Sasha, probably) and draft picks and land Bosh, Amare or Dirk. We win the title in 2010 and re-sign everyone that matters.

Last night sucked. But we still have a future.

This might sound completely idiotic, but all I think we're really missing is Amare, Bosh or Dirk. Delonte is turning into an elite role player (oxymoron?), being able to do everything, shoot the 3, create his midrange pullup, run the point, and clamp down on D. Mo would be a picture perfect 3rd scoring option in my mind. He can obviously beat up on inferior teams, but against someone like Orlando if we had one of those 3 guys I mentioned drawing defenses and of course LeBron getting doubled and tripled every possession, Mo would be forgotten and ready to torch them. He has the ability to be a great piece, just not enough to be the #2.

I have struggled to some extent with this subject as well. Many nights during the regular season, the Cavs look like they actually have some pretty good basketball players. Other nights, specifically when they play atheletic or elite teams, they look like they're just out-matched at every position.

I don't know whether they're truly outmatched... or Mike Brown's pathetic excuse for an offense just makes players look worse than they are. Logically, it's probably both to some extent.

I have struggled to some extent with this subject as well. Many nights during the regular season, the Cavs look like they actually have some pretty good basketball players. Other nights, specifically when they play atheletic or elite teams, they look like they're just out-matched at every position.

I don't know whether they're truly outmatched... or Mike Brown's pathetic excuse for an offense just makes players look worse than they are. Logically, it's probably both to some extent.

Not the only guy who was behind you on the curve. :)

Fox Sports Article

It's a tribute to just how great LeBron is that he carried the Cavs this far. Yeah, the Cavs got exposed allright. Z is too slow & wimpy to guard Howard. Ben Wallace should retire- he's a shadow of the guy who won defensive player of the year. My wife (Miami grad) loves Wally, but he's a statue on D, and I sure didn't love those airballs he shot against the Magic. West is a willing defender, but seriously, giving up 7" guarding Turkoglu was a joke.

Looks like we need to shop for a physical center, and can you find us another legit #1 or #2 that's at least 6' 5"?

Oh, and ditto your opinion of Mike Brown. If there were any adjustments in the Orlando series, I didn't notice them.

This might sound completely idiotic, but all I think we're really missing is Amare, Bosh or Dirk.

Any team can benefit from adding an all-star, obviously. What you need is a real coach. I think you have just as much talent as, say, the Lakers or Magic.

Seriously... that guy nailed EVERYTHING. Right down to LeBron walking off not because he's a poor sport, but because he's trying to send a message to the Cavs organization.

That's why you don't congratulate the other team?

That is the most humorous rationalization of poor sportsmanship I've ever read.

That's why you don't congratulate the other team?

That is the most humorous rationalization of poor sportsmanship I've ever read.

He was walking off the court in a pissy mood to get noticed. That's exactly what it was.

But he'd rather have people believe it was poor sportsmanship than explicitly come out and say he was blaming his teammates/organization for the loss. Not saying it's right regardless of the motive, but it definately got misinterpreted and that's EXACTLY what it was.

P.S. The Lakers and Magic have worlds of talent better than the Cavs. They're in a different league. Regardless of coach. Not sure if this is still the Kobe vs. LeBron argument, but time and time again its proven the surrounding teams are not even close.

He was walking off the court in a pissy mood to get noticed. That's exactly what it was.

But he'd rather have people believe it was poor sportsmanship than explicitly come out and say he was blaming his teammates/organization for the loss. Not saying it's right regardless of the motive, but it definately got misinterpreted and that's EXACTLY what it was.

Okey dokey. I judt don't see it that way at all.

P.S. The Lakers and Magic have worlds of talent better than the Cavs. They're in a different league. Regardless of coach. Not sure if this is still the Kobe vs. LeBron argument, but time and time again its proven the surrounding teams are not even close.

This has nothign to do w/ Kobe vs LBJ, as if we had this argument this season I'd say the choice between the two would be a toss-up whereas I'd have picked Kobe last season etc. Once LBJ gets a better J and thatKobe/MJ murderous desire, he'll surpass Kobe IMO.

Lakers were a bad example in retrospect. But the Magic?????

Archived