THE BROWNS BOARD

The Expansion Browns Best Victory Yet

Frenchie

Here are some possibilities to jog your memory:

Oct 13, 2008: NYG 14 - CLE 35 Anderson for 310 yds.

Sep 16 2007: CIN 45 - CLE 51 Lewis for 216 yds.

Nov 04 2007: SEA 30 - CLE 33 Anderson for 364 yds Greatest come from behind win?

Nov 18 2007: CLE 33 - BAL 30 Dawson' s disputed last second FG ties game and then wins in OT

Oct 05 2003: CLE 33 - PIT 13 Couch 208 yds and Green 115 yds

Nov 16 2003: CLE 44 - ARZ 6 Holcomb's finest game 392 yds and Andre Davis' best game

Dec 29 2002: ATL 16 - CLE 24 Green runs for 178 - The Browns are in the Playoffs!

Dec 30 2001: CLE 41 - TEN 38 Couch's best game 336 yds

Sep 17 2000: PIT 20 - CLE 23 Couch 316 yds, Johnson 97 yards

Oct 31 1999: CLE 21 - NO 16 Couch's Hail-Mary wins first game for new team

Nov 14 1999: CLE 16 - PIT 15 Couch's first win against Pit

Let us know which victory got you excited and why?

NYG 14 - CLE 35 Anderson for 310 yds

Under the lights, the mood in the muni lot before the game was we were going to lose, it was a foregone conclusion after the season we were having. You never sat the entire game, completely disbelieving what you were seeing. Totally dismantling the Super Bowl champs from start to finish.

Mine was the Seattle come-from-behind victory. In that game I saw an attitude that I haven't seen in the Browns for years. They were determined to win and played smash-mouth football on both offence and defence.

Beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh on Monday night 33-13 was great....but my favorite post-expansion Browns game was beating Buffalo 8-0 in a blizzard. Tailgating in 40 mph winds, getting drunk, and rooting the Browns on that day was a blast. Stll can't believe Dawson kicked a 48 yard field goal in those conditions.

These are my favorite four that I watched from afar:

Sep 16 2007: CIN 45 - CLE 51 Lewis for 216 yds.

Dec 29 2002: ATL 16 - CLE 24 Green runs for 178 - The Browns are in the Playoffs!

Nov 14 1999: CLE 16 - PIT 15 Couch's first win against Pit

And this was my favorite I attended:

Sep 17 2000: PIT 20 - CLE 23 Couch 316 yds, Johnson 97 yards

Zombo

--front row in the end zone ... Earl Little leapt into my arms after the final play and I was all over the evening news celebrating the win over the Steelers ... Skippy's still jealous he only got to hug Gumbo

The euphoria I experienced when the Browns beat the Giants on that Monday night this past year... I can honestly say I've never felt that way in my life. When Eric Wright intercepted that ball and took it 94 yards (I think) to the endzone, it was a total out of body experience. The Seattle game and the first Cinci game were both amazing as well the season before, but they can't touch that Giants game.

Other than that... Cle 24 Atl 16 I remember the Jim Donovan line as William Green broke free for the 64 yard touchdown to seal it... "Run William Run!"

And of course... the coach HailMary.

Nov. 18, 2008 29-27 vs. Bills

Harrison scampers 72 yards like he was shot from a cannon and Romeo acts like he can't even remember the guy's name.

That was the changing of the guard and the handwriting on the wall.

That got the biggest eruption form our local group.

I liked a game in Nashville when it seemed Dawson was kicking onside kicks to Northcutt....that was our best come from behind victory...

Sitting in row 7 of the Pound when we stuffed the Falcons on the 2 on 4th down was pretty special.

Last seasons MNF drubbing of the NYG made for a special trip up to Cleveland....that was fun.

Sitting in row 7 of the Pound when we stuffed the Falcons on the 2 on 4th down was pretty special.

You know, given so many poor seasons, we have had our fair share of great goal-line stances.

Nov. 18, 2008 29-27 vs. Bills

Harrison scampers 72 yards like he was shot from a cannon and Romeo acts like he can't even remember the guy's name.

That was the changing of the guard and the handwriting on the wall.

I forgot about this one - and still don't know why Romeo had issues with using Harrison more. I hope we see more of him this year.

The euphoria I experienced when the Browns beat the Giants on that Monday night this past year... I can honestly say I've never felt that way in my life. When Eric Wright intercepted that ball and took it 94 yards (I think) to the endzone, it was a total out of body experience. The Seattle game and the first Cinci game were both amazing as well the season before, but they can't touch that Giants game.

Other than that... Cle 24 Atl 16 I remember the Jim Donovan line as William Green broke free for the 64 yard touchdown to seal it... "Run William Run!"

And of course... the coach HailMary.

The Giants game has great value in that they were the SB champions and it was a national game.

No doubt that "Run William Run" will go down as one of the most famous quotes by a Cleveland sportscaster

This should be a poll

2 seconds left, hail mary to KJ, I bet my aunt $100 at the start of that last play that we were going to win.... I got $100

I wish there was a youtube video of it

This is a tough one. I'd have to go with the Couch drubbing of Pitt on Monday Night Football. At least I think it was Monday Night. If it wasn't it was either a Sunday or Thursday nighter. Anyway, I was still a road construction foreman at the time and working up in Westlake. Stayed out until about 4am getting hammered and went to work still drunk. Anybody that has ever worked in construction knows that many dump truck drivers (not all) are morons and a ton of them are Steeler tools, which is par for the course for the type of people they are-----think toothless, Harley wannabe, Neckar hat wearing front runners who know about three players.

I had a blast with those boys all day, but the best was hearing the excuses of blaming the entire game on Maddox, because that's about the depth of those morons' football acumen.

There were others but the combination of this win and the circumstances surrounding it are what make it the best. I still remember how uncomfortable Butchie and Couch were on the Browns show the night after----it had to be a Sunday nighter than. Butchie was trying to act all proud of Teyiamm and Couch wouldn't make eye contact.

Wasn't it Porter who admonished his teammates on the sideline with something like"we gonna let dese guys do dis to us?"

easy beating Pittsburgh, that and beating the Cowboys in our first year during preseason i think, (wife is somewhat a Cowboys fan)

This is a tough one. I'd have to go with the Couch drubbing of Pitt on Monday Night Football. At least I think it was Monday Night. If it wasn't it was either a Sunday or Thursday nighter. Anyway, I was still a road construction foreman at the time and working up in Westlake. Stayed out until about 4am getting hammered and went to work still drunk. Anybody that has ever worked in construction knows that many dump truck drivers (not all) are morons and a ton of them are Steeler tools, which is par for the course for the type of people they are-----think toothless, Harley wannabe, Neckar hat wearing front runners who know about three players.

I had a blast with those boys all day, but the best was hearing the excuses of blaming the entire game on Maddox, because that's about the depth of those morons' football acumen.

There were others but the combination of this win and the circumstances surrounding it are what make it the best. I still remember how uncomfortable Butchie and Couch were on the Browns show the night after----it had to be a Sunday nighter than. Butchie was trying to act all proud of Teyiamm and Couch wouldn't make eye contact.

This was the only time Butchie beat Pittsburg, and was also one of Willie Greens last effective games, as I remember.

at least Chris palmer went 2-2 witht he Steelers......

I think that Mangini will change how we approach the Steelers.....

Mine was the Seattle come-from-behind victory. In that game I saw an attitude that I haven't seen in the Browns for years. They were determined to win and played smash-mouth football on both offence and defence.

I have to agree, but then again, that was my first time seeing the Browns in Cleveland Browns Stadium. Not bad for your first ever game huh!

Spanking the Giants last October was preeeeeeeeeeeety sweet too I have to say.

But no, I don't think I'll ever replace my first high back in November 2007.

Beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh on Monday night 33-13 was great....but my favorite post-expansion Browns game was beating Buffalo 8-0 in a blizzard. Tailgating in 40 mph winds, getting drunk, and rooting the Browns on that day was a blast. Stll can't believe Dawson kicked a 48 yard field goal in those conditions.

That game was vintage Browns football. Like the the old days and they won. Trip from parking lot to stadium was epic.

I completely agree....I'll never forget that game. I feel on the floor laughing when that FG went through the uprights and then called my brother to get his reaction. We were both laughing and saying this is classic stuff!

Wasn't it Porter who admonished his teammates on the sideline with something like"we gonna let dese guys do dis to us?"

Yeah, it was the best game......that was the longest winning streak the Browns have had against the Steelers all decade long (1 game) and since then its been nothing but Steelers 11 games and counting (as if it wasn't nothing but Steelers prior to that anyway)

Also, imagine if the Steelers had won that game, they would have finished the 2003 season with a 7-9 record and would have been unable to draft Ben Roethlisberger, who has never lost to the Stains, was the first QB in 20 years to win the ROY, youngest QB to win a Super Bowl, only QB to start his career off with 2 Conference Championship Game appearances, youngest QB to win 50 games and just completed the greatest game winning drive in Super Bowl history with a TD to Santonio Holmes.

Thank God you won that game. Thanks

Great Story! Great Memories!

This should be a poll

2 seconds left, hail mary to KJ, I bet my aunt $100 at the start of that last play that we were going to win.... I got $100

I wish there was a youtube video of it

Your ESPn was really working on that day!

How could anyone pick any game other than the Pitts. games. I live in a Pitts town and it was glorious

Well, I'm all for the rivalry but you've got to admit that some of the other games saw finer or more exciting moments for the Browns. Furthermore, ever since the team lost the that playoff game, Pitt has absolutely ruled the Browns.

From a purely football perspective, the Browns fought a tough team (Seattle) and gave up 14 pts early. From there, they played like a team determined to win. I've never seen them play or hit harder. Injured Seattle players were being taken off the field in large numbers. In my opinion, it was their best effort in a win.

Believe it or not my favorite game of the new Browns era was a lost to Pitt. As much as I hated that we lost, It was our first return to the playoffs and we led for most of the game, Holcomb tore it up and we let them come back in the last quater but for 3 qtrs I had the time of my life, pissing off Pit fans making as much noise as possible. Greatest game I ever got to attend.

Archived