THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Wednesday Post Draft

The Gipper

Here is this weeks Survey:

1. Which Browns draft pick do you think will become the best NFL player of the bunch?

2. Which Browns early round pick will turn out to become an underachiever?

3. Which Browns late round pick will turn out to be an overachiever?

4. A.   In Browns history...if you can recall....what was the best Trade they ever made?

B.   What was the worst trade they ever made?

5.  Which position on the field did the Browns  fail to address....for which maybe some additional moves should be made?

6. May Day May Day....... Bill Parcells used to say sometimes about a player that he had more Red Flags than May Day in Moscow.   We know we took a couple of those guys.  Will those guys let their Freak Flags Fly......by living up to their unfortunate reputations.   Or will they turn true Red, White and Blue All American Boys and keep their noses clean?

Just to refresh your memory....here are the Browns picks:

Round 1: Baker Mayfield,  Denzel Ward

Rd. 2:  Austin Corbett,  Nick Chubb

Rd. 3.  Chad Thomas

Rd. 4.  Antonio Calloway

Rd. 5. Genard Avery

Rd. 6. Damion Ratley

Rd. 6. Simeon Thomas

1. Which Browns draft pick do you think will become the best NFL player of the bunch?

Baker Mayfield

None

Cab Calloway

4. A.   In Browns history...if you can recall....what was the best Trade they ever made?

Two favorites: Andy Lee for a 4th rounder and a 2nd rounder for taking on Osweiler.

Warfield for the Phipps pick

5.  Which position on the field did the Browns  fail to address....for which maybe some additional moves should be made?

None really ... Fullback? Not a big position concern in our offense. DT .. but we struck gold with the udfa and I don't think it was that much of a need after the development of the guys last year.

6. May Day May Day....... Bill Parcells used to say sometimes about a player that he had more Red Flags than May Day in Moscow.   We know we took a couple of those guys.  Will those guys let their Freak Flags Fly......by living up to their unfortunate reputations.   Or will they turn true Red, White and Blue All American Boys and keep their noses clean?

Calloway is the red flag guy, right? I'm sure he'll have an occasional hiccup but a great career.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Denzel Ward, CB. I wish Mayfield was the best because that meant we had a good franchise quaterback for once, but I'm not overenthusiast. 

Austin Corbett, OT/OG. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't get all this thing about moving him to either C/OG, then saying he stays in OT... Draftnicks say he's a a Guard in the Pros...

Chad Thomas

Getting Osweiler for a 2nd round. You get a pick that ends up being #35 and add a player in exchange for some cap space that you're not using anyway? That's genius. Worst thing about the trade is that I believe they thought they had their veteran in place and we ended up after Training Camp with the three headed monster of Kizer-Kessler-Hogan when Osweiler didn't even live up to his position. 

Also, don't forget that the guy who left his team to sign the best contract in FA gets traded away with a 2nd round pick just the YEAR AFTER. You can't make this stuff up. 

I don't remember who was it... But didn't the Browns trade a player from another team that wanted to join them badly (and was a good player) that got injured in his first training back in the team? After 1999 I mean. I know it's bad luck, but I think this would be its place. 

I'll go with Z on this one. I thought we were getting Hurst at DT, but maybe it is good that we have a lot of competition in the WR spot (there are 3 players for 1 spot IIRC).

Calloway has many red flags. Scouts were not only concerned about his character issues, but about keeping concentration on the field. Maybe with a lesser role it can work out, and I like taking the chances with a 4th round pick. Barely anyone stays in the team after a few years from the 4th round onward... 

Ward

Chad Thomas

Damion Ratley

Ossy for N. Chubb

As much as it pains me, whomever we gave up to move up for Manziel

LOT and Stud Edge rusher to go with Garrett (but hopefully Ogbah is the man).

Again as much as it pains me, we are ignoring the drunk police chase, the crotch grab and my questions on why the starting QB at TT walks on at OU. Lot of ignored red flags there so I hope he does not cave under the pressure of having to be the 29th "savior" on the T-shirt of shame. I don't trust Hue to help him either.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

My own opinions:

Sure, Baker, why not. He wasn't a Heisman winning #1 overall pick in the draft for nothing. Runnerup to Nick Chubb

I guess, perhaps, Corbett by default.  Just because it seems unsure where he might be slotted. (and for God's sake, lets not have Ward become Justin Gilbert Jr.  I would rather he were Godfrey Gilbert.   But I am not really worried about him.

IF Minnie the Moocher stays clean....and if he has that first round talent many believe, he could be special.   (Antonio/Cab Calloway....whose most famous song was Minnie the Moocher)  Whatever.

One that comes to mind is the trade for Joe Dellamalleure.  We gave up a second and third round pick...and got a Hall of Fame player in return who helped this team for a number of years.

There are actually some Doohoohoosy's out there:  

#. They traded Doug Atkins to the Bears for a 3rd and a 6th rounder.......All he did was go to the Hall of Fame as a Bears DE

* Henry Jordan...traded to Packers for a 4th round pick....and all he did was become a HOF DE for them.

@ Bobby Mitchell  He was traded for Ernie Davis.  It was a "bad" trade, not because the talent they got for Mitchell was bad...but because, I guess...that talent go Leukemia and died shortly thereafter.  And Mitchell is now also a HOF RB/WR

&  Paul Warfield.  Traded for the rights to draft Mike Phipps.  In retrospect, a bad trade....but probably not as bad as the other 3 mentioned.

I say possibly DT and OLB.  Again, will Genard play outside or inside? (listed on depth chart as inside).  At DT...did not replace Shelton...except with 3 UDFAs which they brought in.  That may not be bad. Was not  Meder a UDFA?

Calloway,   Simeon Thomas,  Desmond Harrison (UDFA)....Three guys with checkered pasts  One thing we know:  Dorsey is not just going for choir boys.   If I were to guess...and the point of this survey is to do just that, I would say that one of them  stays clean and makes it with the Browns.......that one of them does not and has suspension issues....and that one of them proves to just not be a good enough player to keep...and it will have nothing really to do with his history.   Which one will be which?  No clue. 

I don't remember who was it... But didn't the Browns trade a player from another team that wanted to join them badly (and was a good player) that got injured in his first training back in the team? After 1999 I mean. I know it's bad luck, but I think this would be its place.

You are thinking of LeCharles Bentley.  OC.....had a great career at Ohio St...and with another team (Saints, I think).  From NEOhio, yes.  Signed here as FA.

First play of practice he suffers a devastating knee injury.  Then develops staph infection from it.  Nearly loses his leg. Never plays again.

But, it was not a trade, an FA  pickup.

Archived