THE BROWNS BOARD

June 6th, 1944

Guest 88fingerslewy

Guest 88fingerslewy

1944- allied forces landed in Normandy.

Americans landed on Omaha and Utah

British landed on Sword and Gold

Canadians landed on Juno

Thousands killed and wounded in a matter of hours.

Lest we forget....

Canadians landed on Juno

Lest we forget....

You are right. We should never forget those who served & those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our Country.

Mike

Canadians landed on Juno

Lest we forget....

Our World War Two Vets are the pure D shit. Don't ever forget it.....fooking ever.....

I served and even as a Cav Scout which is pretty hardcore, but never in my shit life have I ever done anything remotely close to what those sonsabitches did. Warriors man.

Our World War Two Vets are the pure D shit. Don't ever forget it.....fooking ever.....

I served and even as a Cav Scout which is pretty hardcore, but never in my shit life have I ever done anything remotely close to what those sonsabitches did. Warriors man.

Yep

Crow, you've been holding out on us. Is that an M1 rifle in the hands of the soldier at the corner of the tank. (first pic)

It's either that or a model 1917. I've got one of each. I'm a collector. Standout work. Appears you've got skills w/ a camera too.

Thanks for sharing!

Crow, you've been holding out on us. Is that an M1 rifle in the hands of the soldier at the corner of the tank. (first pic)

It's either that or a model 1917. I've got one of each. I'm a collector. Standout work. Appears you've got skills w/ a camera too.

Thanks for sharing!

It is a M1 and a BAR. I'm not a WWII gun expert though so hopefully I gave them the right weapons. The trick was adding the slings to both weapons.

Thanks so much for the compliment. It's tedious work but a labor of love. I started it in appreciation of those great guys who fought for us and I have got better through the years.

It is a M1 and a BAR. I'm not a WWII gun expert though so hopefully I gave them the right weapons. The trick was adding the slings to both weapons.

Thanks so much for the compliment. It's tedious work but a labor of love. I started it in appreciation of those great guys who fought for us and I have got better through the years.

I believe you've got the period weapons right. There was 4-5 different rifles in use by US forces in WWII. The M-1, 1903, M-1 carbine, Thompson submachinegun, M3 "greasegun", BAR, and sniper variants of 1903s.

What did you end up using for the slings?

Thanks again.

nice models there oldcrow, speaking of old WWII weapons have you ever shot an pld russian m44?

I picked one up at a gun show a few years back and we cleaned it up, when breaking it down inside of the wood it was caked with old dried up blood. It really made you realize what you were holding in your hands.

Boy, that thing will give you a kick when shooting it.

Hey Crow, nice work man!

Just a question for you though, I'm big into anything military and before a knee injury in football I was pretty much dead set on becoming a Marine. Anyway, I'm just wondering, do you build those models from scratch or is there a place where you can buy kits?

Thanks in advance and again, amazing work. B)

nice models there oldcrow, speaking of old WWII weapons have you ever shot an pld russian m44?

I picked one up at a gun show a few years back and we cleaned it up, when breaking it down inside of the wood it was caked with old dried up blood. It really made you realize what you were holding in your hands.

Hope we're not too far off topic here.

Had a polish made m44 a few years back. The 7.62x54r round approaches the .30-06 ballistically. The m44 was a carbine version (or short rifle) of the m91 Nagant. In that short barrel, the

powder was still burning long after the bullet was long gone. Big muzzle flash, and a report that can "wake up people in the next county". The stock design probably didn't help much to limit kick either. Makes you

wonder what the russians were thinking. I'm sure they had a need for it though. Makes for an interesting day at the shooting range. :o

Hey Crow, nice work man!

Just a question for you though, I'm big into anything military and before a knee injury in football I was pretty much dead set on becoming a Marine. Anyway, I'm just wondering, do you build those models from scratch or is there a place where you can buy kits?

Thanks in advance and again, amazing work. B)

The dio base and most of the stuff on them are all all scratch built using a variety of stuff.

The tanks are kits made by several different companies. Most kits will have 150 to 400 pieces to them. It takes me a month to six weeks to build, paint and weather a tank.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Again, I was inspired by the efforts of great men.

I haven't ever shot that but I'm not a huge gun guy. I own a Remington 870 for deer season and a Savage 30-06 and thats all I've ever shot. Well, the M16 and M50 while in the army. I also carried the M203 during the first gulf war.

I want so badly to shoot a M1 someday....And a Thompson.

I haven't ever shot that but I'm not a huge gun guy. I own a Remington 870 for deer season and a Savage 30-06 and thats all I've ever shot. Well, the M16 and M50 while in the army. I also carried the M203 during the first gulf war.

I want so badly to shoot a M1 someday....And a Thompson.

I could kick myself, a few years back a dealer at the local gun show had some Thompsons for sale for only $400. what a buy. Instead I was purchased an old remington 58 shotgun.

633639399069525320-enthusiasm.jpg

The dio base and most of the stuff on them are all all scratch built using a variety of stuff.

The tanks are kits made by several different companies. Most kits will have 150 to 400 pieces to them. It takes me a month to six weeks to build, paint and weather a tank.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Again, I was inspired by the efforts of great men.

Thanks for the info man, again, great work!

Guest TheJokersWILD

First off, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the veterans on this board for their service to this great country of ours. My father was in the Navy and was in Vietnam and my Sister was in the Navy also. My grandfathers on both sides were in the Army. Second, here is something we can all enjoy :):blink:

Great thread, and OldCrow, your work is fascinating.

My God, man, you should start a museum. I am awestruck at the realism !

That Greatest Generation - what they accomplished for the world must never

be forgotten. A close friends' Dad was in the thick of it, and he was one of the vets

from WWII to be taken to D.C. to see the WWII Memorial on Memorial Day.

He's over 90, and got around with a wheelchair. The org that sponsored it, raised all the money

to pay for all those Vets. God Bless the WWII vets all always and forever.

Say, Old Crow, could you maybe send me a few of those pics in an email? I would love to send them to him, and

my Fatherinlaw's nephew in Indiana, who has a real WWII jeep, and has tons ot books on WWII.

Great thread, and OldCrow, your work is fascinating.

My God, man, you should start a museum. I am awestruck at the realism !

Thanks so much. Those kind of comments mean a lot.

I actually don't keep many of them. Some I've given away to old vets. I get the most pleasure from doing that. Those guys really appreciate it when you give the something like this. I built a modern M1A2 Abrams and wanted to give it away to a current or past Abrams crewman but didn't know anyone to give it to.

There is actually a market for them on eBay and I've sold many there. I don't make much when I sell them but it allows to me make enough that I can continue to build for very little cost and this hobby is very expensive.

I can't tell you how many I've built and I only have 5 still in my house.

Crow,

What did you use for the slings on the rifles?

My first guess would be rubber bands then as an alternative I'd probably try carefully cut tiny strips of paper and brown paint. Just guessing.

Tedious stuff. I'm certain you've gained an education through the research required to do these.

Similar to what I go through every time I decide it's time for another rifle. Learning what's "correct" is half the fun. :)

Crow,

What did you use for the slings on the rifles?

My first guess would be rubber bands then as an alternative I'd probably try carefully cut tiny strips of paper and brown paint. Just guessing.

Tedious stuff. I'm certain you've gained an education through the research required to do these.

Similar to what I go through every time I decide it's time for another rifle. Learning what's "correct" is half the fun. :)

I use masking tape cut very thin using a straight edge. Then I paint it using a leather brown color.

Rubber band's would probably be too thick. You have to figure everything is 35 times smaller than full scale. So you can imagine how thin a sling would have to be at 1/35 scale.

Same with the helmet straps which are hanging from all three of the GI's helmets in the diorama. Those are extremely tiny!!

I use a Jeweler's magnifying visor for much of the work here.

First off, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the veterans on this board for their service to this great country of ours. My father was in the Navy and was in Vietnam and my Sister was in the Navy also. My grandfathers on both sides were in the Army. Second, here is something we can all enjoy :):blink:

Thanks Joker and I would like to thank ALL fallen veterans, former veterans and currently serving US forces!

I served in the Navy 1980-85.

BUT my REAL concern is for one of my daughters (and son-in-law) who are BOTH currently on tour in Afganistan. She has had a tour in IRAQ, KUWAIT and now AFGANISTAN. I can't tell you the exact location but it's scary. She and her husband are in the Air Force.

My daughter sent me this picture of her sitting on a tank (below):

qp1f7a.jpg

Here she is with her husband in Afganistan (he thinks he's Vin Diesel):

23m7kme.jpg

But seriously, he's got a dangerous job...he's routinely a lead gunner on caravans.

We routinely send them large care packages that they share with others in their deployed group.

Thanks Joker and I would like to thank ALL fallen veterans, former veterans and currently serving US forces!

I served in the Navy 1980-85.

BUT my REAL concern is for one of my daughters (and son-in-law) who are BOTH currently on tour in Afganistan. She has had a tour in IRAQ, KUWAIT and now AFGANISTAN. I can't tell you the exact location but it's scary. She and her husband are in the Air Force.

My daughter sent me this picture of her sitting on a tank (below):

qp1f7a.jpg

Here she is with her husband in Afganistan with her husband (he thinks he's Vin Diesel):

23m7kme.jpg

But seriously, he's got a dangerous job...he's routinely a lead gunner on caravans.

You must be very proud Dan. They'll be in my prayers.

Archived