THE BROWNS BOARD

June 6th, 1944

Guest 88fingerslewy

Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

National WWII Musuem

If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

National WWII Musuem

If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

I agree in wishing it wasn't so far away. I would love to visit it.

My favorite author, Stephen Ambrose (May he rest in peace) was heavily involved in that museum. Is that correct?

For some reason it seemed as though I had read that he was involved in the creation of the museum.

National WWII Musuem

If you ever go to Hawaii (Waikiki Beach, to be precise), you can visit Fort Derussy and they have a nice little World War II museum. Of course there is the Pearl Harbor memorial (USS Arizona) too...being former Navy, that one always gets me. Everytime my ships would pass, we would stand at attention as we sail past the monument (and the entombed shipmates still inside the Arizona, in there final resting place)...those are standing orders of the US Navy (showing them honor and respect).

EDIT:

To answer OldCrow below, YES...best I can remember is when my ship was pulling into Pearl, we were in dress uniforms and saluting. I'm not sure if we were in dress pullling out though. My last time, I did that, was 27 years ago...I may have a little "OldTimers" now :).

If you ever go to Hawaii (Waikiki Beach, to be precise), you can visit Fort Derussy and they have a nice little World War II display. Of course there is the Pearl Harbor memorial (USS Arizona) too...being former Navy, that one always gets me. Everytime my ships would pass, we would stand at attention as we sail past the monument (and the entomed shipmates still inside the Arizona, in there final resting place)...those are standing orders of the US Navy (showing them honor and respect).

I saw a special about a carrier and they showed the part when the carrier sailed past the Arizona. It may have been just for this documentary but they even had many of the sailors dress in their whites and salute on deck as the carrier sailed by.

Really moving stuff.

If I ever get the chance to visit the Arizona I'd probably make a fool of myself as I rarely can hold back the emotions over stuff like this.

Guest 88fingerslewy
I'd probably make a fool of myself as I rarely can hold back the emotions over stuff like this.
You wouldn't be making a fool of yourself Crow. I tell my kids every year I take them to the Remembrance Day ceremony.

"You see those older gentlemen there saluting with tears in their eyes?" "Those men are heroes."

In two weeks in Hawaii, and four islands, and all the great tours we took,

the Pearl Harbor tour is stunning.

Even today, you can probably still see a tiny trickle of oil come from the Arizona.

People from around the world have been there, and some were in our tour.

And the reverent hush of everybody there was amazing.

My in-laws were there with us, he had been a Chaplain in the Navy, and he got all choked up.

I'd like to take my Dad, who was in the Navy, to see it.

And I hear they still have the zero's machine gun fire dents in the cement walls of the building at the AFB,

which we saw as part of the tour.

And I hear they still have the zero's machine gun fire dents in the cement walls of the building at the AFB, which we saw as part of the tour.

My daughter was stationed there, at Hickam AFB (in Hawaii), and she told me about the machine gun dents still there.

Crow that's really cool what you're doing and it sounds like a heckuva fulfilling hobby.

Matter of fact, I may like to purchase some stuff from you in the future.

Crow that's really cool what you're doing and it sounds like a heckuva fulfilling hobby.

Matter of fact, I may like to purchase some stuff from you in the future.

We could arrange thatRif..... Just don't be disappointed when you don't get the same results right away. It usually takes a lot of years and at least a bit of artistic talent helps a little.

I'm doing well but you should see some of the guys that are better than me.....Wow. There is some amazing stuff out there.

The International plastic modelers society national show is in Columbus this year!!! That is a rare thing. last year it was California. For $5 you can go in and view all the work. There will be thousands of these models from all over the world. there.

If you ever want to do this I can write out the whole process of priming then painting then "washing" the tank with turpanoid with oil paints mixed in, the sealing and drybrushing for highlighting effects.

The Building is just plaster and I actually scribe every brick. The Shutters are Balsa wood that I cut. The Cement fence columns are hand made of plaster. The dead trees are actually plant roots.

It's a tedious and time consuming hobby. But as you said, very fulfilling and rewarding. You can take your stuff to shows all over the country and they have actual contest for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in various catagories.

I've won a lot of 1st through 3rd's at local and regional shows but have yet to enter at the national level.

We could arrange thatRif..... Just don't be disappointed when you don't get the same results right away. It usually takes a lot of years and at least a bit of artistic talent helps a little.

I'm doing well but you should see some of the guys that are better than me.....Wow. There is some amazing stuff out there.

The International plastic modelers society national show is in Columbus this year!!! That is a rare thing. last year it was California. For $5 you can go in and view all the work. There will be thousands of these models from all over the world. there.

If you ever want to do this I can write out the whole process of priming then painting then "washing" the tank with turpanoid with oil paints mixed in, the sealing and drybrushing for highlighting effects.

The Building is just plaster and I actually scribe every brick. The Shutters are Balsa wood that I cut. The Cement fence columns are hand made of plaster. The dead trees are actually plant roots.

It's a tedious and time consuming hobby. But as you said, very fulfilling and rewarding. You can take your stuff to shows all over the country and they have actual contest for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in various catagories.

I've won a lot of 1st through 3rd's at local and regional shows but have yet to enter at the national level.

Sounds like a hobby I could definitely get into. Right now I like to write and record music but I'd like to get into something where I can see more results and improvement. I would just enjoy making things for family and friends besides myself. Pretty sure I'd have the patience for it, I don't think that would be an issue.

I appreciate the offer for help and I will definitely keep that in mind. I actually got a lot of help recording from a guy on another board who does it professionally.

BTW, you should write everything out and save it in a word doc where you can continue to expound on it and constantly reference it. You could tweak it over time to be a damn good manual.

Guest TheJokersWILD
Sounds like a hobby I could definitely get into. Right now I like to write and record music but I'd like to get into something where I can see more results and improvement. I would just enjoy making things for family and friends besides myself. Pretty sure I'd have the patience for it, I don't think that would be an issue.

I appreciate the offer for help and I will definitely keep that in mind. I actually got a lot of help recording from a guy on another board who does it professionally.

BTW, you should write everything out and save it in a word doc where you can continue to expound on it and constantly reference it. You could tweak it over time to be a damn good manual.

Does that have anything to do with your name "Riffer" And what kinda music?

Does that have anything to do with your name "Riffer" And what kinda music?

I'm a rhythm guitar player and play metal. Love lots of music though, but the passion is writing and composing metal riffs.

Guest TheJokersWILD
I'm a rhythm guitar player and play metal. Love lots of music though, but the passion is writing and composing metal riffs.

I love music but I cannot play any instruments. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zep, The Doors, Ozzie, and Mazzy Star(very underrated band) David Roback is an underrated guitar player.

I love music but I cannot play any instruments. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zep, The Doors, Ozzie, and Mazzy Star(very underrated band) David Roback is an underrated guitar player.

Feel free to utilize the Rock and Roll Forum we have here.

Oldcrow, you could teach classes. Say, when IS that model show in Columbus? I'd go it.

Now, in spite of all the gardening and farming, I have to go get out that model kit of the Arizona and put it together.

Not much of an artist, so that's about my speed... GGG

I'm inspired. Awesome hobby, awesome work.

(Oh, and you could write a How to book. I'd pay ahead of time to get it)

Oldcrow, you could teach classes. Say, when IS that model show in Columbus? I'd go it.

Now, in spite of all the gardening and farming, I have to go get out that model kit of the Arizona and put it together.

Not much of an artist, so that's about my speed... GGG

I'm inspired. Awesome hobby, awesome work.

(Oh, and you could write a How to book. I'd pay ahead of time to get it)

The dates are August 20 thru the 22nd. It is being held at the Hyatt Regency on High Street. Saturday the 22nd is the best day to go if you are just viewing as all the models will certainly be there by that time. Most models will be there by Friday but there are still a number of guys who simply can't get there through the week and will show up Saturday.

It's cheap entertainemt as you can spend many hours going through all the models for $5.

Also, this just isn't military. Military aircraft and Armor will make up 70% of the show but there is everything from Science fiction to airliners to farm equipmet to Autombiles. One of the special catagories this year is best tractor.

Another theme catagory and award will be for the best Ohio theme. If it has to do with Ohio it will be in that catagory. An example would be a build of the old F-84's fighetr jet with the paint scheme and markings of the Ohio national guard out of the Lahm airbase in Mansfield. I've seen several of these in the past.

Riff, I have even seen a few scaled down models of guitars before. I remember one guy built a replica of the double neck guitar that Jimmy Page used in "The song remains the same".

Cal, there are a couple of modeling websites for Ship building. A friend of mine built the WWII USS Essex and he put those websites to good use. This Essex will be there at the show. It's a remarkable build. Probably 40 inches long with people and planes and the whole thing. He even built the interior of the ship.

As a matter of fact, He and I are getting together for a photo shoot on the 27th of this month as he wants me to shoot his essex and a few other things for him.

Great, I'll plan on going...

You know, if you are ever in the Canton/New Philly area, you should check out the Warther museum in Dover, Ohio.

He spent a lifetime carving trains, a lot out of ivory. And his son carved ships...

The detail was amazing.

Which, is probably where I got the museum idea...@@

Great, I'll plan on going...

You know, if you are ever in the Canton/New Philly area, you should check out the Warther museum in Dover, Ohio.

He spent a lifetime carving trains, a lot out of ivory. And his son carved ships...

The detail was amazing.

Which, is probably where I got the museum idea...@@

Oh man Cal I was actually waiting for my stepmom to get back to me about that. She was telling me about it a couple weeks ago and I wanted to let Crow know. I figured someone else had heard of it. I would like to check it out myself, amazing story.

Here ya go Cal.....This monster is close to four feet long. The water is a resin that does not harded for awhile. This allows the modeler to mold and shape the ship's wake. He paints the water and drybrushes the tops of the waves.

Underneath the top level is the work area. That is completely built and there are planes down there as well being worked on, etc.

You should see the scratchbuilding her did. All the rader units are hand made. The detail is unbelievable. He even scratchbuilt and added things like tiny Junction boxes and extremely minor details that didn't come in the kit. He researched for months and it took him over a year to build.

Click on the pics to get a larger view and take a look at the main island and radar units.

I'll be taking better photos of it soon.

1944 U.S.S Essex

Essex.jpg

essex1.jpg

essex2.jpg

If anyone ever gets a chance to come down here to Wilmington NC you need to stop by Fort Fisher they have a few of these models inside the museum. It would make a great vacation down here Great beaches, Battleship, plenty of museums downtown also along with the cotton exchange and not to forget the Aquarium.

255.jpg

Crow: That carrier is great, I have to go to the show in Columbus, I'm making a point of it.

And T, I've been as far as Salisbury, NW of Charlotte, to see Nascar.

How much farther is Wilmington?

And, OCrow - I would appreciate the steps in the painting process you mentioned earlier -

my wonderful cute Wife has carved some wildlife and airbrushed it...

I'll have to find the pics somewhere or take some new ones.....

She's done a turtle, a catfish, etc. I never have finished my crappie.

Crow: That carrier is great, I have to go to the show in Columbus, I'm making a point of it.

And T, I've been as far as Salisbury, NW of Charlotte, to see Nascar.

How much farther is Wilmington?

And, OCrow - I would appreciate the steps in the painting process you mentioned earlier -

my wonderful cute Wife has carved some wildlife and airbrushed it...

I'll have to find the pics somewhere or take some new ones.....

She's done a turtle, a catfish, etc. I never have finished my crappie.

I sent you a PM Cal.

Archived