THE BROWNS BOARD

Remember the D-Day invasion, what great courage this was

Mr. T

Remember the D-Day invasion, what a great show of courage this was

June 6, 1944, 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. General Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end on June 6, the Allies gained a foot- hold in Normandy. The D-Day cost was high -more than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded

A_Day_that_Changed_America_D-Day.jpg

Official D-Day video

German version of D-Day

Link here for D-day Video 60 minutes

I salute all of those Courageous Americans

flag_half_mast.gif

kown to many as the greatest generation, how do many of the men who fought during WWII feel about our current state of politics today?

Or so argues Bauerlein, an Emory University English professor and baby boomer. It would be an easy accusation for my generation (I'm 23) to ignore. After all, the fogies have always railed against the ignorance and excesses of youth. What's the point of reading a book or going to a museum in the age of Wikipedia? Why bother knowing who the Speaker of the House is or voting for president when the only vote that matters is the hit count on my latest YouTube video? Being able to locate Mexico on a world map or name the Axis powers during World War II won't help me score a date on Friday night or get tapped for the high school football team.

But something is different this time. In past generations, the young had fewer opportunities to fritter away their lives. Two-parent households and a generally religious culture made sure of it. Today, half of teens grow up in single-parent households and secularism dominates society. Undergirding that is the digital culture, the 24/7 rush of information and entertainment that young adults thrive on. Bauerlein says it's a rush that's killing their intellectual development.

article here.

My Generation???

When you hand any 18 year old a weapon and ask them to go kill someone it doesnt matter what war they fought in.

The fact of the matter is that WWII was the last true war that we were involved in and we prevailed in the face of tremendous odds and an amazing amount of loss of life.

All soldiers are hero's.

Those of us who actually fought in combat thank you.

Those of us who actually fought in combat thank you.

So much for "let's all be friends here."

Personally, I thank those who have served humbly and without agenda or ego. That, most obviously, does not count you, Lieutenant Latrine.

So much for "let's all be friends here."

Personally, I thank those who have served humbly and without agenda or ego. That, most obviously, does not count you, Lieutenant Latrine.

I'm not going to lower myself to respond. I'm so disappointed.

Holy shit, everyone! DieHard really has turned it around!!

I'm sorry, John, I was wrong. He really is the curmudgeon with the heart of gold everyone was saying he was, I guess I never gave him a chance...

When you hand any 18 year old a weapon and ask them to go kill someone it doesnt matter what war they fought in.

The fact of the matter is that WWII was the last true war that we were involved in and we prevailed in the face of tremendous odds and an amazing amount of loss of life.

All soldiers are hero's.

Anyone who unselfishly volunteered into the armed forces is a hero.

bow_rum_civil_defense.jpg

Archived