THE BROWNS BOARD

101 sporting events you must see

ballpeen

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/070625

It is fun to think about what events you have seen over the years. Using this list, what have you seen/done.

Here are the ones I can cross off:

1.Summer Olympics

4. The World Series

6. Spring training

8. The Masters

15. Red Sox-Yankees game

22. Cubs game in the Wrigley bleachers

23. A football game at Notre Dame

27. Tailgating in the SEC (Go Gators)

28. U.S. Open golf

34. The All-Africa Amputee Football Tournament (ok....just kidding)

35. MLB Opening Day

38. Auburn-Alabama football game

45. Play Pebble Beach

49. Lady Vols game

64. Camp out for tickets

75. Racing at Saratoga

88. "Monday Night Football"

91. Little League game

100. A Harlem Globetrotters game

101. Driving the Ring (was a passanger, didn't actually drive)

Ouchie, kinda depressing, as I think I've experience 0 of those. Well, there's a chance I went to midnight madness at Bowling Green when I was at school. . . but can't quite remember.

There is one event I think should be on this list, and that's a Massillon - Mckinley Rivalry Football Game. Just sayin.

EDIT: Ooh, I completely missed the Harlem Globetrotters Game. . . I did get to see them once. That was fun.

6. Spring training (February-March, Florida and Arizona).

22. Cubs game in the Wrigley bleachers (April-September, Chicago).

27. Tailgating in the SEC (fall, SEC campuses).

35. MLB Opening Day (April, various cities).

36. Boston Marathon (April, Boston).

76. Beach volleyball (summer, various cities).

88. "Monday Night Football" (September-December, various NFL cities).

91. Little League game (spring, early summer, everywhere).

That's it for me ... although I have to say there are plenty on that list that are not on my list.

6. Spring training (February-March, Florida and Arizona).

22. Cubs game in the Wrigley bleachers (April-September, Chicago).

27. Tailgating in the SEC (fall, SEC campuses).

35. MLB Opening Day (April, various cities).

36. Boston Marathon (April, Boston).

76. Beach volleyball (summer, various cities).

88. "Monday Night Football" (September-December, various NFL cities).

91. Little League game (spring, early summer, everywhere).

That's it for me ... although I have to say there are plenty on that list that are not on my list.

Agreed; I forgot my number ONE! Watching Lister Jr play his a-s off for WKHS! Go Wolves!

4. The World Series

5. NCAA subregional

6. Spring training

9. Wimbledon

20. The Stanley Cup playoffs

26. Little 500 (late April at Indiana University).

28. U.S. Open golf (mid-June, various courses).

30. U.S. Open tennis

33. The Indy 500

35. MLB Opening Day

76. Beach volleyball

88. "Monday Night Football"

91. Little League game

100. A Harlem Globetrotters game

I've made three of the top ten: Summer Olympics (Atlanta), World Series (also Atlanta), and (if practice rounds count) The Masters (not far from Atlanta). There are some advantages living in SC and fairly close (to Atlanta). :)

Even if you're not much of a golf fan, The Masters is not to be missed. It's a glorious sensory experience.

We went to the Summer Olympics the day after the bombing in Centennial Park. We saw team handball, badminton, diving, skeet shooting, and track and field. Every single event was fantastic. Even the skeet shooting, which sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry, was an exciting event. The badminton was unbelievable.

The badminton was unbelievable.

I saw the same thing in Atl. as well, and you are right, it isn't anything like what you and i might play on a Sunday picnic.

Right on about the Masters...your practice round counts...i have been to those and to weekend rounds....it's quite the event.

I'd like to add an Olympics to my list as well as the Masters. I had plans for a Notre Dame game....I did see them play as a kid but that was at Cleveland Stadium against Navy, not in South Bend. An OSU Michigan game would also rank high on my wish list.

My wife and I just stumbled in to the ND game.

We were in Chicago for a Browns game several years back,the game we lost after the Bears scored what seemed like 20 points in about the last minute of the game.

My wife is a Tennessee grad and by total chance we ran in to a friend of hers who was up to see the Vols play ND that Saturday. The group they were with had a last minute no show and they just happened to have 2 extra tickets.

the closest thing i got is bleacher seats to the second game of a season opening series

beanpot you should been to this one, right?

73. The Beanpot hockey tournament (first two Mondays in February, Boston). Because you'll never see athletes competing this hard for a beanpot anywhere else.

I saw the same thing in Atl. as well, and you are right, it isn't anything like what you and i might play on a Sunday picnic.

Right on about the Masters...your practice round counts...i have been to those and to weekend rounds....it's quite the event.

I would add to my list, the Liberty Bowl. It's not a very significant bowl game but it was great fun, nonetheless. I lived in Memphis at the time and a group of us was sitting around wondering how to get tickets to the game (this was in the dark ages before the internet). I picked up the phone book. Lo and behold there was a listing for "Liberty Bowl." When I called they acted like "How do I get tickets?" was the strangest question ever. We drove to the stadium, walked up to the ticket office and asked what seats were available. They let us walk around the stadium and pick out the seats we liked best from those that were available. Apparently this was a few days before the teams were announced. We were told that once the teams were announced, all remaining seats were allocated to the schools making them more expensive and harder to get. The game turned out to be a barnburner between Missouri and Purdue. Just about every exciting thing that could happen in a game happened in that one. It was terrific.

I as well have only been to a few of these events:

22. Cubs game....I was in the SRO instead of the bleachers. I count it.

27. SEC tailgating (South Carolina)

32. Kentucky Derby (1971...Canonero II won)

35. Opening Day MLB (the one time a year old Cleve. Muni Stadium had 80,000 in attendance)

91. Little League game. (I assume playing in one counted. But don't forget about Babe Ruth League either)

I have been on the Pebble Beach course but never played it, so I don't count that.

Thinking of interesting things and events I've been to and I can just try to remember as best as possible.

---Last game of Municipal Stadium I was in the front row of the Pound. One of the most surreal experiences ever, especially when the players came by. I still remember TBone crying.

---First game in the new stadium againt Pitt. It was great until the kickoff.

---First game at Cincy's Paul Brown Stadium. Took a bus trip down there and had a blast. The Browns and Couch kicked ass on Akili and the Bengals.

---I was at the Tribe game in '95 against the Red Sox when Pena hit the game winner in the 13th. Won lottery seats up in the most miserable part of the Jake but over the course of the game kept moving down and ended up behind the Sox dugout abusing Cansucko and Fat Mo. The most intense moment ever was when Albert came up in the 8th and launched one. Everybody was waiting for it and he did it. The place just erupted. Say what you want about Belle but man could that guy mash. NOBODY ever missed his at bats.

---Was at the last Tribe game in Municipal and sat behind home plate.

---Was just at the Cavs game two victory over the Magic with LBJ's shot. I was in section 101 and it was the best moment I've ever had in sports. Only thing is in the long run it didn't matter but I don't need to go down that road of depression again.

---Bird's last game at the Coliseum. The Cavs smoked Boston in game seven of the conference semi finals and I had never heard any place that loud until that point. I had great seats right behind the hoop.

---Left for Purdue at midnight for the Buckeyes game back in 2002 and drove straight through for tailgating at 6am until game time. That was the Buckeye's last championship season when they went 14-0 and beat Miami. For those that remember, Craig Krenzel hit Michael Jenkins for a 37 yard TD on 4th and 2 with under two minutes left. The play was right in front of me. Huge experience and memory that goes down forever in Buckeyes lore.

---The Turkey Joe game. My dad took me up there and we got cheap bleacher seats, and for those that remember they were actually the Dawg Pound before it was the Pound. There were some serious scumbags there back in the day, and those seats actually were for visiting teams. Needless to say there were plenty of drunks with liquor, weed and hash and Steeler fan smell to go around. The play happened right in front of us and I remember vividly Bradshaw kicking his legs from being in so much pain. It took forever to have the ambulance come out and cart him off.

---Great memories from going to Cavs games back in the early to mid 80's. They sucked in the Stepien Era and attendance was down to literally a couple thousand people a game. We would buy the cheapest seats, leave our coats in the car and slyly move down to seats at half court. We'd get there hours before the games and meet players as they came out, then catch them in the tunnel on the way out. I met a bunch of guys that way from Doc Rivers, Darryl Dawkins. George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins etc.

---Monday night games and others that I'm forgetting I'm sure.

---

Thinking of interesting things and events I've been to and I can just try to remember as best as possible.

---Last game of Municipal Stadium I was in the front row of the Pound. One of the most surreal experiences ever, especially when the players came by. I still remember TBone crying.

---First game in the new stadium againt Pitt. It was great until the kickoff.

---First game at Cincy's Paul Brown Stadium. Took a bus trip down there and had a blast. The Browns and Couch kicked ass on Akili and the Bengals.

---I was at the Tribe game in '95 against the Red Sox when Pena hit the game winner in the 13th. Won lottery seats up in the most miserable part of the Jake but over the course of the game kept moving down and ended up behind the Sox dugout abusing Cansucko and Fat Mo. The most intense moment ever was when Albert came up in the 8th and launched one. Everybody was waiting for it and he did it. The place just erupted. Say what you want about Belle but man could that guy mash. NOBODY ever missed his at bats.

---Was at the last Tribe game in Municipal and sat behind home plate.

---Was just at the Cavs game two victory over the Magic with LBJ's shot. I was in section 101 and it was the best moment I've ever had in sports. Only thing is in the long run it didn't matter but I don't need to go down that road of depression again.

---Bird's last game at the Coliseum. The Cavs smoked Boston in game seven of the conference semi finals and I had never heard any place that loud until that point. I had great seats right behind the hoop.

---Left for Purdue at midnight for the Buckeyes game back in 2002 and drove straight through for tailgating at 6am until game time. That was the Buckeye's last championship season when they went 14-0 and beat Miami. For those that remember, Craig Krenzel hit Michael Jenkins for a 37 yard TD on 4th and 2 with under two minutes left. The play was right in front of me. Huge experience and memory that goes down forever in Buckeyes lore.

---The Turkey Joe game. My dad took me up there and we got cheap bleacher seats, and for those that remember they were actually the Dawg Pound before it was the Pound. There were some serious scumbags there back in the day, and those seats actually were for visiting teams. Needless to say there were plenty of drunks with liquor, weed and hash and Steeler fan smell to go around. The play happened right in front of us and I remember vividly Bradshaw kicking his legs from being in so much pain. It took forever to have the ambulance come out and cart him off.

---Great memories from going to Cavs games back in the early to mid 80's. They sucked in the Stepien Era and attendance was down to literally a couple thousand people a game. We would buy the cheapest seats, leave our coats in the car and slyly move down to seats at half court. We'd get there hours before the games and meet players as they came out, then catch them in the tunnel on the way out. I met a bunch of guys that way from Doc Rivers, Darryl Dawkins. George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins etc.

---Monday night games and others that I'm forgetting I'm sure.

---

Cool stuff.

I was at Bottlegate. I threw bottles. In fact there are rumors I started it. But I wasn't dumb enough post about it the next week and get summonsed into Lew Merletti's office, like one of the people I was with.

I was also at the game where Orlando Brown got hit in the eye. And the game where Courtney Brown sacked Steeler Kent Graham on the last play and Earl Little infamously lept into my arms.

Been to tons of baseball parks all across the country. Wrigley is the best. I used to work for an airline and could fly anywhere for $5. I lived in New Jersey, and when I had a day off I would fly to Chicago in the morning, take the L train to Wrigley, drink beers with the Bleacher Bums all afternoon, and fly back home and sleep in my own bed. The whole thing cost me like 50 bucks.

Lots of the ballparks that are now gone: the original Yankee Stadium, Candlestick Park in SF, the Astrodome in Hou, Shea Stadium, Three Sewers, Atlanta Fulton County (the Launching Pad), and of course Municipal (loved the drum banging with 3,000-strong banging the empty seats around them in unison). Nothing was better than driving down along the lake and aproaching the old stadium on gameday with that Big Chief Wahoo outside swinging the bat.

As for College football, the most fun I had was at a Alabama - Tennessee game played at old Iron Bowl in Birmingham. My girlfriend at the time was a UT grad, and her parents were both Bama grads and it was my first time to meet the rents ... needless to say tensions were high! When I showed up for the game I went with the red sweater .... calculated move ... parents loved me ... but was in the doghouse with gf for a week. That was my first SEC experience ... and, trust me, they know how to throw a football party.

I've seen the Browns on the road in Tampa, Jacksonville and Miami. The Miami game was my only Monday Nighter ... it was the year Don Strock was quarterbacking us and we were trying to sneak into the playoffs. We lost that game, although Strock did well, but went to on to beat Houston the next week to set up the doomed rematch.

My favorite visit to Jacksonville was at the beginning of the 2001 Season. We surprised the hell out of them, Couch had a good game, and Daylon McCutcheon sealed the deal with a pick-6. You could have heard a pin drop in the stadium if it wasn't for the few of us Browns fans going nuts. As we were leaving the stadium there was this little blonde girl, probably about ten-years-old, with tears in her eyes. She looked up at her Daddy and moaned "But you promised we'd beat Cleveland!"

Zombo

--And Tampa was where Vette got arrested, Flugels brought Booger, and Skippy picked up the Pizza Boy .... ahh, memories.

I can honestly say I was at THE 10 cent beer night.

Was up from Fla for the summer and had a week furlough from working the ore boats and went down with a couple HS buddies.

Strange evening.

Been to tons of baseball parks all across the country. Wrigley is the best. I used to work for an airline and could fly anywhere for $5. I lived in New Jersey, and when I had a day off I would fly to Chicago in the morning, take the L train to Wrigley, drink beers with the Bleacher Bums all afternoon, and fly back home and sleep in my own bed. The whole thing cost me like 50 bucks.

That might be the coolest thing ever. Totally what I would do if I could in that same situation.

World Series

NCAA subregional

NFL Conference Championship

NBA Finals

Cubs game at Wrigley in bleachers

Football game at ND (last year's Pitt game)

MLB Opening Day

NBA courtside

Monday Night Football

Little League Game

Harlem Globetrotters Game

In the "Almost" categories:

i've seen the Lady Vols play at the Q (not Knoxville)

i was at the Ali-Wepner fight (obviously not in Vegas)

i saw the Packers at Lambeau against the Browns (but it was not snowing)

Other stuff:

i've attended two Ignatius Championship victories

i've been to several Mount Union playoff games (but haven't made it to a Stagg Bowl yet)

i was at the last baseball game and last football game at Municipal Stadium (good riddance)

i was at the first baseball game at Jacobs (great game) and the first football game at Browns Stadium (a big stinker)

i was at the Browns game where Skippy broke his kidney.

i've attended two Browns games and one Cavs game with Howard and Gareth from England; and many tailgate parties with great friends from this Board.

Archived