THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini on Wimbley

WPB Dawg Fan

Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini met with the media again on Thursday for a press conference. Here are some of his statements, along with my thoughts:

(On how much Kamerion Wimbley can grow at outside linebacker) - "He has definitely done a lot of positive things at outside linebacker. He had a couple sacks against us his rookie season, and I think another one, one of the other times we played against the Browns in the past. What we are trying to do with Kamerion, like with all the defensive players, is the building of flexibility. Work him both on the right, on the left, work him at sub at different positions, so we can continue to build upon the base that he has and expand it. The more versatile he is, the more roles we can give him, the different matchups we can create. That is something that we worked hard on with Bryan Thomas who was another defensive end that made the transition and it's important."

(On if the defense can get Wimbley to be an impact player like he was in his rookie season) - "What I am looking for from Kamerion is not just impact in terms of rushing the passer, but impact as an outside linebacker in this system. Sacks sometimes come in bunches. Sometimes there's a bunch of them and sometimes you go on a little bit of a drought. The key thing isn't to focus on the volume, the numbers. The key thing is to focus on the process. That's what we are doing with Kamerion and with all of the guys, is to focus on the things that he can do better as a pass rusher. The things that he can do better in the running game. How to vary up his pass rush and it's an ongoing process. I stress, it's not just Kamerion with that.

We are always trying to give; here is your core move, what's your counter off of that move, what's your secondary move, what's your counter off of that move. The ability to move the player from right to left, get in the sub package, maybe have him as a walk around type of guy. All of those things can produce sacks. All of those things can take advantage of strengths. In order to take advantage of those strengths, you have to build in that flexibility and that is something that we are focusing on from a scheme perspective, and also individually identifying strengths and weaknesses, really working on the weaknesses and really trying to complement the strengths."

(On if Wimbley can be versatile and play multiple positions) - "That's what we are trying to find out. I think that he has worked hard at learning the different positions. With Bryan Thomas, he went from defensive end to outside linebacker, and then he was able to do a good job there. He carved out a role in sub where sometimes he was defensive end; sometimes he was a walk around guy. I think those are two guys from similar backgrounds. So my anticipation is, with hard work and building on the reps that you get and anything is possible, but you still have to see it."

I love this. It isn't just getting Wimbley to add a move or two to his arsenal...but getting him to understand the 'progressions' necessary to counter what a team is trying to do to him...and moving him around in order to best utilize his talent and create mismatches along the LOS.

The more I hear coming out of Berea....the more I think we may see a quantum leap in the development of our here-to-for underachieving young players.

Not to even comment on wimp, it is refreshing to listen to Mangini.

We have a actual coach who communicates his vision.

Such a polar opposite of what we have had the last 4 years.

That has to make any player better.

I love it!

It is very possible we will see a quantum leap...i think we will see more then that this club has very deep raw talent but has lacked direction,training and a swift kick in the nads every once in while to keep them alert...

Mangini insists on the team practicing tackles and secondary moves and being versatile which are thing that should have already been incorporated into their genes but due to pathetic coaching were not...this team is going to be far better than anyone outside of the browns can even imagine yet....;)

Not to even comment on wimp, it is refreshing to listen to Mangini.

We have a actual coach who communicates his vision.

Such a polar opposite of what we have had the last 4 years.

That has to make any player better.

I love it!

I'm the same way. It's kind of amazing to hear something other than "we'll play our best and try to get a win."

I can't remember which writer it was, but somebody pointed out this morning that we've lost only Jurevicious, Shaffer, and Winslow from the 2007 offense... and added Mack, Womack, Foster, St. Clair, Robiskie, Massoquai, Furrey, Patten, Royal, James Davis, and the Missouri TE whose name inexplicably escapes me.

Meanwhile, our defensive personnel looks to be miles better than that team's, at least on paper.

A writer with a POSITIVE spin on the Browns? Who was it? I'd like to shake their hand, especially after reading the drivel most of them are paid to write.

Mike

I'm the same way. It's kind of amazing to hear something other than "we'll play our best and try to get a win."

If I can make a slight correction, it should read... " Ahhh,we'll play our best and, ahhhh,try to get, ahhh win. I think we will be, ahhh, OK"

I think one of the biggest changes this year is in the coaching, especially with the coordinators....We finally have some coaches with a bit of grit in their gut rather than rookies with potential....

The head coach is mostly the face of the organization but the coordinators are the ones that make it work... I still can see the defensive unit carrying Buddy Ryan off the field after the Bears super bowl victory... This past year we witnessed the love feast thrown Dick LeBeau's way by the steelers defensive unit during super bowl week...

These guys along with the position coaches are in the trenches with the players and the players often take on the persona of their mentors... Maybe we finally got that mean streak with the addition of Bryan Cox... Hopefully this nice guy defense playing not to lose is a thing of the past....

peace

T.Dawg

A writer with a POSITIVE spin on the Browns? Who was it? I'd like to shake their hand, especially after reading the drivel most of them are paid to write.

Mike

Well we know it wasn't Tony Grossi. The Browns could win the Super Bowl and Grossi would write an article that we didn't win by enough.

I can't remember which writer it was, but somebody pointed out this morning that we've lost only Jurevicious, Shaffer, and Winslow from the 2007 offense...

add sean jones and that's pretty much the list that matters from either side of the ball. you can put Shaffer in the Seth McKinney file, the two rooks will hopefully fill Joe's role and that leaves the primadonna and sean's positions as suspect at this point. still, upgrades and holes filled everywhere, things are certainly looking up.

add sean jones and that's pretty much the list that matters from either side of the ball. you can put Shaffer in the Seth McKinney file, the two rooks will hopefully fill Joe's role and that leaves the primadonna and sean's positions as suspect at this point. still, upgrades and holes filled everywhere, things are certainly looking up.

Who is the primadonna?

And you can try to claim Cowher wasn't a great communicator, but I'd disagree and say he did very well and getting his team to see and play by his vision.

Really good post JADBF.

I think anyone on the receiving end of his wrath (and spit) would never say he wasn't a communicator.

I think he was the prefect mixture of communicator and motivator

I was againt the Mangini hire at first because I wanted them to hold out one of the high profile guys like Shanahan, but I have to say I like what I have seen and heard so far. I think Ryan was a stellar hire on the defense side of the ball and I think he transforms the raw talent (like Wimbley) into a top ten defensive unit. My hope is that they can revive the offensive side of the ball to make the Browns competitive in the division (it would be nice to have at least a .500 division record) If that happens we are in for a good season overall because the schedule outside the division is theoretically pretty easy. I am going to head back to Cleveland for the preseason game against Detroit so it will be nice to see how things translate to game situations. Good stuff in this thread!

Really good post JADBF.

I think anyone on the receiving end of his wrath (and spit) would never say he wasn't a communicator.

I think he was the prefect mixture of communicator and motivator

i've always thought Cohwer is underappreciated as a communicator. you listen to his speeches to players on old film it is some of the best out there IMO. even as the special team guy he constantly overshadowed Marty and stole his thunder in CLE, whether he meant to or not.

i've always thought Cohwer is underappreciated as a communicator. you listen to his speeches to players on old film it is some of the best out there IMO. even as the special team guy he constantly overshadowed Marty and stole his thunder in CLE, whether he meant to or not.

How about when Cowher told his guys before the first game back in the new stadium that the Browns refused to introduce his players before the game? Wasn't true of course but the team bought into it and came out even more fired up en route to a 43-0 drubbing.

How about when Cowher told his guys before the first game back in the new stadium that the Browns refused to introduce his players before the game? Wasn't true of course but the team bought into it and came out even more fired up en route to a 43-0 drubbing.

That sort of thing is genius. It reminds me of something Woody Hayes would have done when it came to playing Michigan.

Cowher coached with emotion... I played for a few coaches like that... They could get you to run through walls for them if they asked....

The modern head coach is more of a people manager while the coordinators do the actual coaching.... These players are set financially for life, some could care less about the rah, rah---they've been coddled since high school...

Do you realize that both Winslow & Edwards have already pocketed 20 million each since they've been a Brown... They'll get even richer in their next contract as Winslow has already proven...

The head coaches job is to motivate these players into playing to their potential...

Cowher using the disrespect card was brilliant but that card can be played only so many times.... The one thing that made Cowher a winner was the players knew who was in charge... It wasn't the GM, it was the head coach... Romeo never had that authority in Cleveland and the players knew it....

Good coaches demand that authority, I think maybe Romeo was happy to just finally make it and he did deserved his day in the sun (he earned it).... He just wasn't strong enough or secure enough to demand what he needed to be successful...

It seems that Mangini has that authority and the players know it.....

peace

T.Dawg

Cowher coached with emotion... I played for a few coaches like that... They could get you to run through walls for them if they asked....

The modern head coach is more of a people manager while the coordinators do the actual coaching.... These players are set financially for life, some could care less about the rah, rah---they've been coddled since high school...

Do you realize that both Winslow & Edwards have already pocketed 20 million each since they've been a Brown... They'll get even richer in their next contract as Winslow has already proven...

The head coaches job is to motivate these players into playing to their potential...

Cowher using the disrespect card was brilliant but that card can be played only so many times.... The one thing that made Cowher a winner was the players knew who was in charge... It wasn't the GM, it was the head coach... Romeo never had that authority in Cleveland and the players knew it....

Good coaches demand that authority, I think maybe Romeo was happy to just finally make it and he did deserved his day in the sun (he earned it).... He just wasn't strong enough or secure enough to demand what he needed to be successful...

It seems that Mangini has that authority and the players know it.....

peace

T.Dawg

Really good post with a lot of good points!

Archived