THE BROWNS BOARD

Message to James Walker and Mass Media at ESPN...etc...

WPB Dawg Fan

JW,

I find it interesting that in the aftermath of the change to Quinn...all the pundits suddenly are looking for excuses as to why this is a 'knee-jerk' reaction. In the past 25 starts prior to the Ravens game, the Browns were 12-1 when he had completed 50% of his passes AND had less than 2 INT's (the only loss Pitt in 2006). The problem was that we were 1-11 in games where he had less than 50% completions or 2+ INT's.

That is not surprising...but what is surprising is that excuses are being made for a guy who had EITHER less than 50% completions OR 2+ INT's in 12 of his 25 starts!!!

Teams cannot win with inconsistency at QB...and to have nearly half of your QB's starts with less than 50% completions or 2+ INT's is just not acceptable.

Sure, our D has not been great. But that type of inconsistency at QB can cause a domino effect...which is exactly what we have seen this year. Our receivers have no idea where the ball is going...or are getting set up to take big hits...and it is causing them to either 'gator arm' balls...or just not put up maximum effort...in fear of taking a career ending hit.

Further, if you look at the next 4 matchups (Denver 103.1 QBR against/Buffalo 83.8 QBR against/Houston 97.2 QBR against/Indy 30th ranked pass rush), this is the best 4 game stretch to bring a new QB into the starting roll.

Is a short week ideal? No, but how about the fact that Denver is also giving up 5.1 y/c to the rush and is ranked 29th defensively? At home? On a Thursday game? Talk about energy and support from the crowd and teammates!!!

This is not a knee-jerk reaction, but rather a change that has been in the works for over a month (Quinns reps were increased a few games ago and discussions of changes have occurred on several occasions).

Besides, the Browns were going nowhere WITH Derek Anderson...so why not at least see what you have in Brady Quinn?

(I actually sent this to Walker...so let's see if he responds!)

Guest Masters

I keep hearing about how it's the short week, and CLE should have waited until the Bills game so Quinn could have more prep time. Well, what if good DA showed up on Thursday against DEN? Then CLE would be right back where they were after the Giants game. I mean he went into that with a short leash and was almost benched the week before. If they waited, they'd like be right back where they were following the Giants game.

Guest Masters

Here's his response:

WPB,

That is the gayest thing anybody's ever written.

Regards,

JW

That's how he would respond to anything you post.

Here's his response:

WPB,

That is the gayest thing anybody's ever written.

Regards,

JW

Coming from you lummy, I will assume that means I was spot on and was not only brilliant, but eloquent and factually accurate!!! Pulitzer Prize here I come!!!

I keep hearing about how it's the short week, and CLE should have waited until the Bills game so Quinn could have more prep time. Well, what if good DA showed up on Thursday against DEN? Then CLE would be right back where they were after the Giants game. I mean he went into that with a short leash and was almost benched the week before. If they waited, they'd like be right back where they were following the Giants game.

Agreed, I posted this same thing earlier.....

Yep that is a good point. It's a short week but Brady knows the offense (he's had plenty of time to learn it). Denver's defense is not all that good so it gives him a great chance to get his feet wet. Then he has about ten days to plan for a very good Buffalo team.

Guest Masters
Denver is really pretty banged up, too. The Denver game is at home vs. the buffalo game is on the road. I'm not crazy about the short week, but there's really alot positive about starting Quinn then.

Plus let's be honest, its a short week no matter who is at QB. If Quinn is really prepares to play like a starter every week, like he says, then it shouldn't be that big of an issue. I am sure that while he doesn't normally get all the reps with the starters, he has thrown balls to the starting receivers and knows some of the timing. Plus there is always film study where you can find player tendancies and be able to understand it. It's the same thing other teams do to prepare for who they are facing.

Archived