THE BROWNS BOARD

CB Sam Beal worth a 2019 draft pick?

Unsympathetic

Now that we start a former second-round supplemental pick, I think we can find a roster spot for a projected 2019 late first-rounder entering this year's supplemental.  I'd bid a 3rd and see what happens.

Supplemental Draft analysis - there's 2 other high-round DB's coming out in addition to Beal

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Now that we start a former second-round supplemental pick, I think we can find a roster spot for a projected 2019 late first-rounder entering this year's supplemental.  I'd bid a 3rd and see what happens.

Supplemental Draft analysis - there's 2 other high-round DB's coming out in addition to Beal

Well this is how it works (from Wiki), so the question becomes where do we think he (or anyone we like) would fall next year since we would have to give up that round?

Wikipedia: "Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.[82] (For example, FS Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the supplemental draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick."

EDIT: Since you would give up a 3rd rounder, would that be high enough to keep from being outbid?

CB Sam Beal still is & has been 2019 mocked on waltersfootball to the Colts at #36 in 2nd round for a while..Sure would throw a 3rd rounder but both Bears & Denver wanted Denzel Ward so Denver sits at #47. Pats 48 & 63. Pitts. 53. GB 56. KC still Marcus Peters-less sits at 58. All need CB..we'd need some luck throwing a 3rd rounder.

After Howard Wilson's patella tendon surgery today [he's out now for 2018 as well] this looks a lot more possible than it was just 24h ago.. I thought Wilson would be the 4th CB they'd keep bc he was running with the 2's.  Currie can play CB as well of course.

CB - Ward/Gaines/BBC/ [Wilson]

S - Peppers/Randall/Currie/Kindred

1 hour ago, Orion said:

When is the Supplemental Draft? 

based on history and a giants read..undetermined date in July..basic lee when Roger wants to control the sports news world 🤔 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

basic lee when Roger wants to control the sports news world 🤔

Too ambiguous.  I don't like ambiguity.  That, and I want to get my guy a playbook. (if there were a guy I wanted)

17 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

After Howard Wilson's patella tendon surgery today [he's out now for 2018 as well] this looks a lot more possible than it was just 24h ago.. I thought Wilson would be the 4th CB they'd keep bc he was running with the 2's.  Currie can play CB as well of course.

CB - Ward/Gaines/BBC/ [Wilson]

S - Peppers/Randall/Currie/Kindred

I think you are forgetting about "Carrie" as opposed to "Currie"

Ward and Carrie are the starters, then Gaines, then Mitchell and BBC.

Simeon Thomas is a press corner just drafted in the 6th round that'll get a good look too.

Justin Currie is a special teamer who will be in the fight a fourth safety spot with Derron Smith ... Behind Peppers, Randall and Kindred

Z

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I think you are forgetting about "Carrie" as opposed to "Currie"

Ward and Carrie are the starters, then Gaines, then Mitchell and BBC.

Simeon Thomas is a press corner just drafted in the 6th round that'll get a good look too.

Justin Currie is a special teamer who will be in the fight a fourth safety spot with Derron Smith ... Behind Peppers, Randall and Kindred

Z

Wonder if you have to use your own  pick in the supplemental draft? Throw the 3rd we got from the Patriots out there, and see what happens with the Wilson injury. 

I wouldn't expect much out of a 6th round flyer Z. :)

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Wonder if you have to use your own  pick in the supplemental draft? Throw the 3rd we got from the Patriots out there, and see what happens with the Wilson injury. 

I wouldn't expect much out of a 6th round flyer Z. :)

Well, he's our 6th corner.

The #4 pick overall is our starter.

Our other starter, Carrie, is under contract for four years at 8 million  per year

Our third corner, EJ Gaines, was rated one of the top 15 corners in the league last year.

Our fourth corner Terrence Mitchell, is a Dorsey Boy who we signed to a three year contract and was getting reps with the #1s.

Our 5th corner is Briean Boddy Calhoun, a good little corner that everybody on here seems to love.

Then we drafted Thomas because he can play press.

So guys want to spend next year's third for a dude that won't see the field this year behind the top 4? So we can cut Calhoun?

Don't see it.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Well, he's our 6th corner.

The #4 pick overall is our starter.

Our other starter, Carrie, is under contract for four years at 8 million  per year

Our third corner, EJ Gaines, was rated one of the top 15 corners in the league last year.

Our fourth corner Terrence Mitchell, is a Dorsey Boy who we signed to a three year contract and was getting reps with the #1s.

Our 5th corner is Briean Boddy Calhoun, a good little corner that everybody on here seems to love.

Then we drafted Thomas because he can play press.

So guys want to spend next year's third for a dude that won't see the field this year behind the top 4? So we can cut Calhoun?

Don't see it.

Zombo

Not saying we should Z. Just saying he's worth a low 3rd round pick. Sure, the defensive backfield looks a lot better "on paper" but that doesn't mean much this time of year.  

PFF analyzes Browns secondary - from 4/5, before the draft. 

Not sure the final role of Mitchell.  He has the honor of being the NFL's worst in yards allowed per coverage snap last season.

Positive detail about Peppers -- graded as the 25th best safety in coverage over the final 7 wks of 2017.

If this guy is as good as many say, I have no issue with a 2nd round pick.  You simply cannot have too many DB's, and the longer we cover, the more havoc Mr. Garrett can create.  Gregg Williams had an interesting quote recently, and while I don't remember EXACTLY what he said, he basically  inferred that Garrett was a step away from about 10 more sacks last year, and if we could've covered just a BIT better, there's no telling the impact.  Now, I'm sure every pass rusher has about 30 instances where they were "one step away", but I agree with him.  We need to cover better, and I think we will.  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If the powers that be in this FO think he is worth a 2d rounder.....who am I to object to their assessment?

So....what IS the scouting report on this guy?  Would he be worth it....in the collective opinion?

Dorsey possibly set-up position need nicely in next years draft too.  https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2019/  Next seasons draft also reminds me of the 2013 draft when Heckert gave up a top 36 pick for Gordo in 2nd round.Only a addict verse a kid that can't pass school, is like 2 different ends of the earth. 2013 NFL draft went 3 OT's & 2 DE's in top 5. All are still legit in league. DT/OT/DE looks to be the top position path if were staying in top 10 next draft. DT we maybe ok with some playing depth.Taking LT Tackle over a guy like Nick Bosa could go 300 pages in a single topic of posts? But, we could mail that Las Vegas Raiders jersey early to a poster in Memphis..🤣 Surely Dorsey has started comparing Beal's gametape to top 2nd rounders CB of the likes of CB DeAndre Baker(which walterfootball has Baker gone by #16) so let the next nfl-draft crab shoot begin   

updates  https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018-supplemental-draft  per Mike Garafolo/ Browns were 1 of 26 teams attending Adonis Alexander Virginia Tech pro day this past Wednesday. Adonis had 7 team visits also set-up this past Wednesday with 1 team visit set (maybe close to Blacksburg,VA.?) Sam Beal has not been confirmed by the NFL as of yet but should qualify..No confirmed draft date has been confirmed by NFL in null-null World Cup of foosball (my eyefull of acc ball on Adonis=Lead with the high 4th rounder, he's not worth browns high 3rd rounder)

Supplemental Draft Date set for 7-11-18 a Wednesday. Not televised (yet nflnetwork?).1PM  Gm's forward e-mail to NFL offices with Name & round bid.Dane Brugler confirms S.Beal,A.Alexander & B.Bryant are all in & confirmed by NFL. Sam Beal is having a Pro Day = this Thursday 6-28-18..Maybe your local 7/11's will celebrate this day with free? (cold beer/Slurpee/hotdog?)tell them Roger sent you! 

2 hours ago, syd said:

so doe's the bidding go in order as same as the draft order ? 

All teams are slotted into 3 Bins A)non-playoff/minus 7 wins..Bin B.)non-playoff/plus 7 wins..Bin C)Playoff Teams...Now,I have also read W/L percentage from last season & official order will not be released to public. But we can do the Math.. Teams from Bin A gets precedence over Bin B...Bin B over Bin C..Browns are in Bin A, with O wins. 1st pick in previous draft, but am disputing a possible Lottery system with a guy at reddit is hearing about that may run a few more hours if not another day.(with Z name changing powers I'd re-name this chap Robert Craft II)    

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I have also read W/L percentage from last season & official order will not be released to public.

Someone explain to me, a scenario, where a team that got zero friggin' wins last year wouldn't get first dibs..........

29 minutes ago, Orion said:

Someone explain to me, a scenario, where a team that got zero friggin' wins last year wouldn't get first dibs..........

this sounds so simple  https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/NFL-Supplemental-Draft-set-for-July-11-119333295/  but am telling ya, till the leauge puts a stamp on it,these writers have no clue how it actually works..tick tock..We got a date & time from leauge..now we wait to make up some rules.#nfl

Archived