THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Vet ...waive Rod Johnson

darren15

2 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

This looks like a good low-risk/high-reward kind of signing. I'm in favour.

Ya, another veteran to compete with Stephenson definitely not on the roster the first two weeks.

If he can prove to be healthy he could be the Wild Card in the mix...

Zombo

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Ya, another veteran to compete with Stephenson definitely not on the roster the first two weeks.

Zombo

And I thought for a second they cut Stephenson. IIRC, they can void his contract for misbehaving....   

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

I mean I'm not against the move, at all, but don't count on this panning out. He's a Cam erving level bust, but it can't hurt for training camp fodder.

Greg Robinson had a great Combine in 2014 & all of a sudden, the media draft "know it alls" had him rated better than Jake Matthews. GR was drafted #2 & JM #6 that year.

We'll see whether or not he delivers on his Combine hype, but it's worth looking.

Mike

I'd call it a good trade up from Roderick Johnson. So we bring in a possible upgrade before camp to see if Myles Garrett can ragdoll Greg Robinson too. Rod Johnson was the weakest link at the position. We pay Stephenson nothing till week 3 and we can see if wants to compete in a padded training camp. When in doubt? We call in the Walrus. Goo-Goo g'joob! (from last season b4 camp) 

Bob Wylie on his 50th year of coaching the OL position. I'd say Walrus Wylie will be a good challenge for Cam Robinson...

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I'd call it a good trade up from Roderick Johnson. So we bring in a possible upgrade

I agree.  I like veterans on the OL.

GREG ROBINSON?!! 

Isn't he the beast OL from a few drafts back? Let's see if he can catch that second wind. 

43 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Jonathan Cooper wasn't worth even a used jugs machine.

I don't know about that, last week I sold my softball Jugs machine for just over $400...... Nah, you're right. 

I don't see how this guy (Robinson) sucks.  Can you IMAGINE how ticked off you'd be as a fan if your team drafted an OL like #2 and he turned out to be a total bust??  Robinson is huge, fast (for his size), and incredibly strong.  How in the WORLD does he suck?!!

But he does. 

28 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I don't see how this guy (Robinson) sucks.  Can you IMAGINE how ticked off you'd be as a fan if your team drafted an OL like #2 and he turned out to be a total bust??  Robinson is huge, fast (for his size), and incredibly strong.  How in the WORLD does he suck?!!

But he does. 

You know, I've always thought someone could make a truck ton of money doing a comprehensive study on why "busts" occur. Like, across the positions and everything, what are the 5 main traits the majority of "busts" possess?  I'm talking really getting into the weeds about it and looking at things like SES, demographics, etc. I have to believe there is a link stronger than "they didn't fit the team" or "lack of effort". Sure, those are big factors but there's gotta be more there.

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

You know, I've always thought someone could make a truck ton of money doing a comprehensive study on why "busts" occur. Like, across the positions and everything, what are the 5 main traits the majority of "busts" possess?  I'm talking really getting into the weeds about it and looking at things like SES, demographics, etc. I have to believe there is a link stronger than "they didn't fit the team" or "lack of effort". Sure, those are big factors but there's gotta be more there.

I would agree with you, but you GOTTA think hundreds of NFL scouts and managers already get into ALL the weeds, right?  I mean, we have "analytics" guys, traveling scouts, computer software, people talking to Pee-Wee coaches...whatever.  I just don't know what else you could do, ya know?

I remember a linebacker that came out of Wake Forest not too long ago by the name of Aaron Curry.  I think he went around #5 overall, and I can remember REALLY having my sites on him.  The guy just had it all.  Fast, strong, could tackle...whatever.  And to make him even more appealing, I BELIEVE (could be wrong) he was considered a saint off the field and had terrific work ethic.  Curry wasn't just an "average player"...he was so bad he completely bombed out of the league by the end of his first contract.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.  I saw on tv recently coaching some high school or small college team.  I couldn't believe it. 

Long story short...busts are hard to predict.  The one that was easy was Justin Gilbert.  Even his COACHES said he didn't love football.  

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I would agree with you, but you GOTTA think hundreds of NFL scouts and managers already get into ALL the weeds, right?  I mean, we have "analytics" guys, traveling scouts, computer software, people talking to Pee-Wee coaches...whatever.  I just don't know what else you could do, ya know?

I remember a linebacker that came out of Wake Forest not too long ago by the name of Aaron Curry.  I think he went around #5 overall, and I can remember REALLY having my sites on him.  The guy just had it all.  Fast, strong, could tackle...whatever.  And to make him even more appealing, I BELIEVE (could be wrong) he was considered a saint off the field and had terrific work ethic.  Curry wasn't just an "average player"...he was so bad he completely bombed out of the league by the end of his first contract.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.  I saw on tv recently coaching some high school or small college team.  I couldn't believe it. 

Long story short...busts are hard to predict.  The one that was easy was Justin Gilbert.  Even his COACHES said he didn't love football.  

I'm really starting to believe that lack of love/passion for the game is the REAL cause of busts. Some of these guys have played so much, for so many years, that it's now only about a payday...The passion left long ago in too many cases. Athleticism, size, work ethic could be there, but if the passion & love for the game isn't, they won't reach the pinnacle.

Mike

13 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I'm really starting to believe that lack of love/passion for the game is the REAL cause of busts. Some of these guys have played so much, for so many years, that it's now only about a payday...The passion left long ago in too many cases. Athleticism, size, work ethic could be there, but if the passion & love for the game isn't, they won't reach the pinnacle.

Mike

Sounds like a couple of WR's we picked up not too far back and now both long gone.

I guess you never know, but Robinson has been a flop with 2 different teams. PFF has him ranked as the worst starting tackle in the league, grading at around 38%.

I hope the release of Johnson was performance based and not just because he was drafted by the last group.  Seeing how bad Robinson has played in his 4 years, i think i would have rather seen what Johnson could do on the field.  But like i said, maybe he came to mini camp 50 lbs over weight and ran 7 second 40's.  That is what we don't know.

13 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I've always thought it's the instant flash of a lot of money to kids who grew up with none. I have no idea what Greg's personal situation is/was, but he's made over $20 million dollars despite being a massive bust in the NFL.

18 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I think you're 100% right.  And to be honest, how do you measure how someone will react to being instantly wealthy?  Think about that for a second.  If you're taken in the top ten of the draft, you're GUARANTEED to be rich.  Now, how you handle that wealth is completely up in the air, but it's easy to live off that rookie contract for the rest of your life unless you're just an idiot (and there's LOTS of idiots out there).  What's the guaranteed amount for a top ten pick?  Say...$20 million for pick #1, and pick #10 would be...what...maybe $12 million?  How do you measure someone's love for the game when they no longer HAVE to work?  I call it the "Justin Gilbert Effect".  He's a guy who didn't LOVE the game, and it was said by many people, including his coaches.  Did you know we literally didn't speak to his coaches before we drafted him?  I don't even think our head coach even MET WITH THE GUY in Cleveland, although I'd have to verify that.  Ridiculous.  

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Every team  uses  analytics.

Get over it.

Get over what?  I didn't say it negatively.  I was merely pointing out that we have analytics guys that go through "the weeds".  

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Get over what?  I didn't say it negatively.  I was merely pointing out that we have analytics guys that go through "the weeds".  

Maybe, I just wonder what they consider "the weeds". For example, I work in higher education and the software we use literally compiles over 400 variables behind a person to measure their "success" ratio. It seems (and who knows, I could be way off) their analytics are still much more around typical measurement-based assessments. 

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I think you're 100% right.  And to be honest, how do you measure how someone will react to being instantly wealthy?  Think about that for a second.  If you're taken in the top ten of the draft, you're GUARANTEED to be rich.  Now, how you handle that wealth is completely up in the air, but it's easy to live off that rookie contract for the rest of your life unless you're just an idiot (and there's LOTS of idiots out there).  What's the guaranteed amount for a top ten pick?  Say...$20 million for pick #1, and pick #10 would be...what...maybe $12 million?  How do you measure someone's love for the game when they no longer HAVE to work?  I call it the "Justin Gilbert Effect".  He's a guy who didn't LOVE the game, and it was said by many people, including his coaches.  Did you know we literally didn't speak to his coaches before we drafted him?  I don't even think our head coach even MET WITH THE GUY in Cleveland, although I'd have to verify that.  Ridiculous.  

Even though I think Weeden was really stupid, he played with Gilbert at Okla State & said if anyone in the Browns had asked him about Gilbert, they never would have drafted him. THANK GOD for the talent evaluators we now have!

Mike

13 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Even though I think Weeden was really stupid, he played with Gilbert at Okla State & said if anyone in the Browns had asked him about Gilbert, they never would have drafted him. THANK GOD for the talent evaluators we now have!

Mike

That is just a freaking unbelievable level of incompetence Mike....

Archived