THE BROWNS BOARD

The Draft is Back

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Two players declare for supplemental draft

By PFW staff

June 8, 2009

Two players — Florida State WR Corey Surrency and Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon — have officially declared for the supplemental draft to be held on July 16. The deadline for applications is July 6.

Surrency encountered eligibility issues after transferring from El Camino College because of his age. By NCAA bylaws, any player older than 21 who participates in an organized sports competition prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution will have have that participation count as one year of varsity competition. Because Surrency played in a semipro league after turning 21, his eligibility expired following last season.

Jarmon tested positive for a banned substance in a random NCAA drug test, invoking a one-year suspension. He has already graduated with a degree in political science and has said the substance came from an over-the-counter dietary supplement that he did not know was illegal.

Surrency is a long strider who stands at an estimated 6-5, 220 pounds, is overaged and comes with character questions. He is not expected to be drafted in the silent-bid draft, which will be conducted by e-mail.

Jarmon could warrant more considerable interest, standing a verified 6-3, 278 pounds and having clocked in the mid-to-high 4.7s. He has 17½ career sacks in 31 career starts, and his character is regarded highly despite the suspension.

I really like Jarmon as a developmental 3-4 DE. He could contribute early on as a pass-rushing DE, and I think he's got the strength and frame to grow into an every down guy.

We have two 5th round picks in next year's draft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Mangini & Kokinis put up a 5th round bid. Personally, I'd bump it up to a 4th.

Guest Aloysius
I think Jarmon is a similar player to Robert Ayers, who came out of Tennessee earlier this year. If the browns were to pick up Jarmon do you think they would play him at end or work him at outside backer?

I think he's an end. Not sure he can drop into coverage or change directions on the fly like a 3-4 OLB needs to do.

Jarmon reminds me more of Jarvis Green, a 3-4 DE for the Pats who's also a pretty good pass-rusher. But I think Jarmon's got the potential to be more stout against the run.

Guest Aloysius

Haven't seen any predictions yet.

From what I can tell, there are two reasons teams don't usually bid high picks on supplemental draft prospects:

1. The prospects usually have academic and other character red flags
  2. Even if you give a guy a 2nd or 3rd round grade, it's possible that there'll be a guy available in the 2nd or 3rd round of next year's draft who'll have a 1st round grade
In Jarmon's case, the first reason doesn't apply, but the second still does.

Jarmon gets rave reviews from Kentucky's coaches and the local media. Before all this happened, he was planning on studying abroad in Paris for five weeks to complete his second degree in French studies (the first is in Political Science). Were it not for this one mistake, he'd be the prototype for the kind of smart, high character player Mangini & Kokinis want to bring in.

But on the second issue, there remains the concern that a talented player will slide in next year's draft who's better than Jarmon. Considering that next year's draft will likely have the best DT class since 2001, it's entirely possible that a better 3-4 DE prospect will be available in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd round.

That's why I think a 4th round pick makes sense. Maybe a team will offer a 3rd, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk giving up a potential early 3rd round pick when it's possible that an Arthur Jones or a Vince Oghobaase could slide to that spot.

Consider the Rucker trade: at the time, giving up what was expected to be a late 3rd round pick in '09 seemed to make a lot of sense. But then the team combusted and Chase Coffman, a guy that people in Missouri seem to think is a better TE prospect than Rucker, ended up sliding to the 3rd round. Rucker very well could be a good TE for us, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new regime liked Coffman better (or another TE with better blocking ability).

Guest Aloysius

Coffman's got incredible hands. It was a little worrisome that he never ran a 40 before the draft (because of the ankle injury), but Carson Palmer's going to love having him around.

Guest Aloysius

From Rotoworld:

Three NFL scouts told the AP that Jeremy Jarmon had a chance to be a first-day pick had he been eligible to play as a senior at Kentucky.

Jarmon has the build of an every-down end, and the production was there (nine sacks) as a sophomore. But he would've needed a big rebound from his down junior year. Still, it appears he could be a third- or fourth-round Supplemental pick if he can convince teams he isn't an off-field problem.

Jarmon's production was down because he faced a lot of double teams and was playing with a bum shoulder. But he still had some pretty impressive performances, including a great game against Georgia.

Would love to get him with a 4th.

Guest Aloysius

More info from Rob Rang:

Central Michigan guard Joe McMahon, Florida State wide receiver Corey Surrency and Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon have sent in their paperwork to be included in the NFL's annual supplemental draft on July 16, NFLDraftScout.com has learned.

Jarmon is considered the only lock to be drafted, though McMahon and Surrency offer enough upside to warrant a close look by NFL teams.

The 6-foot-3, 279-pound Jarmon was named an Honorable Mention All-SEC selection last season by the Associated Press after registering 38 tackles, 10 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks as a junior. Those numbers pale in comparison to Jarmon's career highs from a year earlier, when he had 62 tackles and 13.5 sacks.

Jarmon ranks third all-time at Kentucky with 17.5 career sacks and had been within striking distance of Oliver Barnett's 26 had he not tested positive for a banned substance during the spring.

The banned substance, reported by multiple websites to be an over-the-counter dietary supplement, led to Jarmon being suspended for one season, which exhausted his eligibility because he redshirted as a freshman. UK's appeal of the suspension was denied.

A veteran of 31 career starts, Jarmon has already graduated with a degree in political science and is highly recommended by the UK staff despite the suspension.

Jarmon considered leaving after his junior season, applying to the NFL Advisory Committee and receiving a fourth- to fifth-round grade.

One small correction: Jarmon had 9.0 sacks his sophomore year, not 13.5.

Seems to make a ton of sense. But I'm concerned that he doesn't make it to our fourth pick.

I am not real high on supplemental guys as they have lost a lot of important work by this point...which is why bids usually aren't very high. It almost guarantees a practice squad placement where if a team really wants him and doesn't want to lose a pick, they will lay in wait there.

I would offer a 5th....if we get him great. If not..oh well. As some said..at the very most bid a 4th...there aren't many teams who can bid a 4th and beat ours...no way a 3rd...that's a little steep unless we end up picking at the bottom of the round next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

From one of Gil Brandt's nfl.com live chats:

Matt, PA

Gil, First of all, thank you for all you do for the NFL. You are truly one of the league's greatest ambassadors! Now that I've buttered you up, can you talk about the players eligible for the supplemental draft?

Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Well, thanks Matt. The only player I am aware of for the supplemental draft is Jeremy Jarmon, a DE from Kentucky who wears #99. At the spring Pro Day, he ran a 4.81 and 4.76, measured 6-3 and weighed 278 pounds. He had a very good year in 2007 rushing the passer; not as good in '08. He'll probably be a third-round choice, maybe higher simply because he's a DL.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
NFL teams watch Jarmon's workout

The NFL's supplemental draft is next week, so former WildDawg defensive end Jeremy Jarmon conducted his final workout on Thursday, in front of several NFL scouts and front office personnel.

Jarmon, who was declared ineligible by the NCAA for testing positive for a banned substance, lifted weights at the Nutter Training Center, then headed across Cooper Drive to the Nutter Indoor Facility, where he ran sprints and performed agility drills. There were 24 men representing 18 NFL teams in attendance.

The Memphis native, clad in black shorts and a black shirt, said he was pleased with the workout.

"I felt I was prepared for today," Jarmon said after the session. "I think everything went well. Overall, it was a good day."

The Washington Redskins appear most interested in Jarmon, sending three scouts and Vice President of Football Operations, Vinny Cerrato.

"I thought he worked out well. I thought he ran well," Cerrato said. "I thought he represented himself well. He was in good shape. He needs to get a little bit stronger."

UK coaches Joker Phillips, Steve Ortmeyer, Rick Petri and Chris Thurmond also were on hand to see Jarmon's performance.

"It's a big day for him. It's his chance to showcase his talent," Phillips said.

Cerrato said the Redskins like Jarmon's attitude.

"He's a great kid. He'd be solid in the locker room. He's smart. He's got all those intangibles," Cerrato said.

Jarmon said he will visit with other NFL teams in the coming days and likely will be in Nashville during the supplemental draft.

"I have a lot of confidence. I'm a very strong-willed person," Jarmon said. "I feel like I have the heart and desire. I'm very anxious for my opportunity to show teams exactly what I can do."

Jarmon acknowledged he still thinks about the NCAA's ruling, but admits it's time to move on.

"If I get knocked down, I'm going to get back up fighting. So, I'm ready to get after it."

Workout numbers should be coming in soon.

Guest Aloysius
UK’s Jeremy Jarmon attracts 18 NFL teams to workout

Former University of Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon put his skills on display Thursday in front of representatives from 18 NFL teams at Nutter Field House.

Jarmon’s UK career was cut short this spring when the NCAA ruled him ineligible for his senior season after testing positive for a banned substance. Jarmon has applied for next Thursday’s NFL Supplemental Draft and has been working out in Nashville for the past several weeks.

Jarmon said he weighed in at 278 pounds, which is about six pounds lighter than his playing weight at UK last fall. His 40-yard dash time ranged from a 4.79 to a 4.83.

I'm hearing that the Browns did have a scout in attendance. It may have been this guy.

Apparently, some folks think that Jarmon's exclusively a 4-3 end. The two teams that have shown the most interest in him, Philadelphia and Washington, both run a 4-3. And Vinny Cerrato's comment that Jarmon "needs to get a little bit stronger" makes me wonder if Jeremy wasn't all that impressive in the weight room, which would be a concern if you're projecting him to 3-4 end.

But when I watched Jarmon play, I saw a guy with plenty of playing strength. And if he bulks up, he'd only get stronger.

I think he could be a Jarvis Green-type player. But I can understand if people see him as more of a 4-3 LDE.

Guest Aloysius
07/10 Supplemental Draft '09: Jarmon works out for scouts

Eighteen teams were on hand in Lexington yesterday to watch Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon work out. The list included some high profile scouting directors and NFL personnel people including John Dorsey of the Green Bay Packers, Vinny Cerrato of the Washington Redskins and Rick Reiprish of the New Orleans Saints. Here's the lowdown on the workout.

Jarmon measured a hair over 6'3'' at 6031 and 278 pounds. He ran his forty's in times which read between 4.76 seconds to 4.83 seconds. Jarmon completed 19 reps on the bench and posted a vertical jump of 31-inches. Sources have told us Jarmon looked good in position drills and was as athletic as his computer numbers would lead one to believe.

He sat down with all the teams who attended the workout. Jarmon had private interviews with as handful of teams the night before (Wednesday) the workout and met with the rest on Thursday.

More phone calls and interviews scheduled through the weekend.

Jarmon’s UK career was cut short this spring when the NCAA ruled him ineligible for his senior season after testing positive for a banned substance. Jarmon is the most attractive name in next Thursday’s NFL Supplemental Draft and has been working out in Nashville for the past several weeks.

National Scouting graded Jarmon as a fifth round pick in their May report, which represents their pre-season rankings. The belief is Jarmon could go as early as the fourth round next Thursday as teams feel he could've ended up as a top 75 pick in the '10 draft had he turned in a good senior season.

19 reps is pretty disappointing, but it places him in between guys like Robert Ayers (18 reps) and Tyson Jackson (20 reps), who were recently drafted to play at least some 3-4 DE. Jarmon suffered from rotator cuff tendinitis earlier this spring, which may have affected his workout.

The other workout numbers are solid. It's interesting that the Packers, a team transitioning to the 3-4, would send their director of college scouting to Jarmon's pro day. The last time I saw John Dorsey mentioned on TFY Draft was when he showed up at B.J. Raji's pro day.

Guest Aloysius

It's great that Robaire's been medically cleared to practice, but the staff won't really know what they have in him until training camp. It usually takes two years for a guy to get his explosion back after an Achilles injury. There have been exceptions - Greg Ellis comes to mind - but the typical case is more like Julian Peterson's, who got hurt five games into the '04 season, returned at the start of '05, but didn't return to his old self until the '06 season.

The other big question mark is Corey Williams. If he doesn't play well this year, I doubt Mangini & Ko opt to pick up his $5.9M salary next year (which includes a $1.7M roster bonus).

So there's definitely room for more d-line talent. Not sure that Jeremy Jarmon is a perfect fit for what they're looking for, but I could see them bidding a 4th or (more likely) a 5th round pick for him.

Scott Wright's put together a nice 2009 Supplemental Draft Preview. Here's his scouting report on Jarmon:

Jeremy Jarmon

Height: 6-31/8 | Weight: 278 | 40-Time: 4.80

Strengths:

Excellent bulk...Reliable tackler...Active with a terrific motor...Is stout at the point of attack...Does a nice job against the run...Solid technician...Shows the ability to get off blocks...Plays with good leverage...Knocks down a lot of passes at the line...Smart and a hard worker...Good production...Offers some schematic versatility...A lot of experience against top competition.

Weaknesses:

A bit shorter than you would prefer...Needs to get stronger...Not overly quick or explosive...A little stiff...Average agility...Doesn't change directions well...Isn't a top sack artist and repertoire of pass rush moves is limited...Has some minor durability concerns.

Notes:

A three-year starter for the Wildcats...Played a lead role in the UK Theater production of the play "Weak/Side/Help" in 2009...Was named 2nd Team All-SEC by the leagues coaches in 2007...Ranks third in school history when it comes to sacks...Has a history of shoulder injuries...Seriously considered going pro after his junior season and was given a 4th / 5th Round grade...Tested positive for a banned substance (reportedly an over-the-counter dietary supplement) during a random drug test and was ruled ineligible for his senior season...Had already earned a political science degree and decided to enter the NFL's Supplemental Draft...Could play defensive end in either a 4-3 or 3-4 front ... A solid all-around player with top - notch intangibles.

Not sure Robaire needs a ton of explosion to be effective, he's not playing in space. I do agree it's a two year injury and also think people are too quick to proclaim someone healthy and good to go after such serious injuries. Take it from a guy who has had a hip replaced and a knee reconstructed, it ain't that easy.

Guest Aloysius

Another guy worth mentioning:

McKinner Dixon, DE, Texas Tech

- Earned some Freshman All-American notice in 2005 after registering 6.0 tackles for a loss and 3.0 sacks for the Red Raiders. Flunked out of school and attended Cisco Junior College in 2006 and 2007 before returning to Texas Tech. Racked up 10.0 tackles for a loss and 8.0 sacks in 2008 but was suspended indefinitely for not taking care of his academic responsibilities in April of 2009 and opted to go pro. A quick, speedy, undersized (6-3, 250) edge pass rusher.

Apparently, he's got some intelligence/effort issues, but he's got the tools to be an effective 3-4 OLB. He'd be worth bringing in to camp and stashing on the p-squad if he shows something.

He looked pretty good in Tech's bowl game; he lines up at LE on this play (#43):

Here are some more highlights:

Guest Aloysius

Here's what Michael Lombardi said on NFL Network last night:

Jeremy Jarmon, the defensive end/tackle from the University of Kentucky, is a very good football player. And I've talked to about four NFL teams in the past twenty-four hours: they all tell me he's going to get picked somewhere between the second and the fifth round.

Now, understand that when you're in the supplemental draft, we're not in the same order that we were. They re-draft the lottery; it's almost back to the NBA system of a lottery-based pool. So everybody will have a pick, but it will not be in the correct order that it was [in April].

But I suspect Jarmon's gonna get picked somewhere between the third or the fifth round, because he is a very good football player.

Here's what Michael Lombardi said on NFL Network last night:

Do teams know the order when they make the pick?? I would assume so.

As you pointed out..we aren't all that set at DL when you take in to account where things might be next year...if we like the guy, I would send up a 2nd round pick and see how that stacks up....just not sure a 3rd would get him.

As it stands jarmon would probably be a late 1st, early 2nd type player if he could play this year and was in next years regular draft.

At worst we would be picking him about where he is valued...if we improve in the standings like I think we will, we gain some value.

Again...that's if we viewed him as a guy who could work in to our system.

Guest Aloysius
Do teams know the order when they make the pick?? I would assume so.

Yes, they do.

As you pointed out..we aren't all that set at DL when you take in to account where things might be next year...if we like the guy, I would send up a 2nd round pick and see how that stacks up....just not sure a 3rd would get him.

Sounds like the 3rd round may be where he ends up getting picked:

Eight prospects have entered the supplemental draft to be held at 1 p.m. ET July 16, but only one — Kentucky's Jeremy Jarmon — figures to be drafted early.

"I wish he were taller and more stout at the point," an NFL evaluator said, "but he is a big body that plays with some strength at the point. I'd be shocked if he got out of the third (round)."

He is expected to fit best as a 4-3 base defensive end with upside potential in an aggressive 3-4 front such as that of the Steelers, Ravens, Jets or 49ers.

Still, I wouldn't go any higher than a 4th. Though I'm a big fan of Jarmon's, I wouldn't want to risk giving up the opportunity to draft a d-lineman like Arthur Jones (ask mz the pussy.) or a safety like Major Wright (ask yourself). Jarmon could help us, but those two guys could help a lot more.

My guess is that the Lions will pick up Jarmon in the 3rd or 4th round. They showed a lot of interest in Robert Ayers and have considered signing Kevin Carter, so they're clearly looking for an upgrade at LDE.

Actually, a smaller Kevin Carter might be a good approximation of Jarmon's upside.

Guest Aloysius

Here's one more take:

"I like Jarmon, but he's not a premier defensive end. He has some good qualities: high motor, good pass rushing skills, and is a solid tackler. He has to use his hands better and develop a larger repertoire of moves. He would have been a 3rd - 5th round pick if he entered the 2010 draft, and I think he will be selected in that range during the supplemental draft on Thursday."

I think we're really deep at DL now that Robaire is healthy... and they seem to fit Mangini's vision of 3-4 guys. I may be wrong, but I don't think we'll be all over this guy.

Well Robaire and Coleman are both over 30 so we will need a DE, but I dont know about giving a 4th for Jarmon. There might be a guy like Andre Brown who slips to the 4th next year

Guest Aloysius
Redskins select Jarmon in Supplemental draft

By Nolan Nawrocki

The third round of the Supplemental draft just concluded and the Washington Redskins were awarded Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon in the silent auction draft.

Jarmon, who entered the draft after testing positive for an NCAA banned substance and subsequently was suspended for what would have been his senior season, received high marks for his character despite the mistake. He has ideal size and strength for a base end in a 4-3 defense.

Guest Aloysius

We should be able to get 2-3 more solid years out of Kenyon. That's how long he's got left on his current contract; the salary numbers actually decline in the third year, as if to account for the age factor.

But there's no question that we need to groom some guys behind Coleman. And if Corey Williams plays like he did last year, we'll probably draft a d-lineman early in next year's draft.

These two guys appear to be the top candidates (both wear #93):

19 reps is pretty disappointing, but it places him in between guys like Robert Ayers (18 reps) and Tyson Jackson (20 reps), who were recently drafted to play at least some 3-4 DE. Jarmon suffered from rotator cuff tendinitis earlier this spring, which may have affected his workout.

The other workout numbers are solid. It's interesting that the Packers, a team transitioning to the 3-4, would send their director of college scouting to Jarmon's pro day. The last time I saw John Dorsey mentioned on TFY Draft was when he showed up at B.J. Raji's pro day.

redskins got jamon third round pick

Guest Aloysius

According to Adam Schefter, the Browns were not one of the five teams that put in a 4th round bid for Jarmon. Interestingly, Schefter has the Patriots listed as one of the five teams.

The Pats didn't even send a scout to Jarmon's pro day, with the assumption being that the team didn't want to add to the 12 rookies it drafted this year. Apparently, that wasn't the case, with Belichick perhaps hiding his interest in order to keep other 3-4 teams away from Jarmon.

Archived