THE BROWNS BOARD

4th of July Plans?

So besides going to Trump rallies or Trump golf courses🤩, what are your plans for celebrating the 4th?

Every year for over 30+ years now we have about 20 or so friends over for pot luck appetizers/dinner and I cook out steaks on the grill. We finish up around 8pm and head out to watch fireworks. 

We have a good mix of Democrats, Republicans, Independents and even a Libertarian or two. We stay away from politics and just celebrate this great country we were all lucky enough to be born in and can hold varying opinions about without being lined up against a wall or chained on one. 

God bless America and may she always be free!

Grilling, hanging out with friends. we'd go fishing, but it's been in the 90 degree range, 89% humidity.

Air conditioning is very good.

OK.

Here is a 4th of July story.

Years ago, our friends' Mom had an in-ground pool, when all the kids were younger. The night before the big swim party,

My Wife and I hatched a plan. We went shopping for an inflatable shark or something. We found one, blown up, it was about

3' long. About midnight, we drove over, I got in the pool, and we filled it with water. Sure enough, the next day, they rolled the cover back, and there was a realistic looking shark, that "swam" all around the pool with the pump current, about two inches off the bottom of the pool.

That was great. We are going out to find another one.

58 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

we'd go fishing, but it's been in the 90 degree range, 89% humidity.

Wuss. 😎

I took my son and two grandsons out sailing yesterday in 100+. We all had a great time. Try fishing with a swimsuit on and just dive in now and then.

BTW one little added touch I put up every year is hanging a 38 star (Colorado was the 38th added in 1976-the year of Custer's Last Stand) 7'3"  X 4'3" flag in the dining room on the right side of the main entrance to our house. My wife inherited that after it had been in the family since the original purchase, likely in 1877. The reason they call Colorado the Centennial State was because it was added 100 years after the birth of the nation. James Michener wrote his novel of the same name about Colorado. Well worth the read. Anyway I feel it is a real privilege to be able to hang that flag up every year. Makes me feel connected to history.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Grilling, hanging out with friends. we'd go fishing, but it's been in the 90 degree range, 89% humidity.

Yeah, unfortunately our AC took a dive last night. Service tech spent 3 hrs to no avail.. Oh, and the Fridge gave up the ghost yesterday morning.. We had just returned from ordering a new Fridge to find the AC crapped out. New oversized AC installed tomorrow morning..

18 minutes ago, Axe said:

Yeah, unfortunately our AC took a dive last night. Service tech spent 3 hrs to no avail.. Oh, and the Fridge gave up the ghost yesterday morning.. We had just returned from ordering a new Fridge to find the AC crapped out. New oversized AC installed tomorrow morning..

That's rough brother

WSS

19 minutes ago, Axe said:

That can't be fun in Florida.  I remember many nights in far east countries without ac.

Soupy, would be an understatement ;)

Sometimes ya have to think outside of the box.. The fan motor is the part that couldn't be replaced.. The fan pulls the heat out of the unit and keeps the high side Freon line from over pressurizing and shutting down..

$16 box fan from Walmart placed pointed up on the fan grill and an ext cord.. It's effin working

HAPPY 4th Y'all :)

32 minutes ago, Axe said:

I fell your pain. Our 4 ton unit died (18 years old) a couple months ago so we replaced the entire system all at once. Took a big hit but this unit we got is so much more efficient and cools off so fast it was well worth it going into what is proving to be a long, long Texas August that started in May.

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

Yeah, new oversized unit installed in the morning :) Between the Fridge and AC, it's been an expensive week..

Yeah about a week or so after that hit on the AC we got our property insurance bill on the house which doubled from the prior year. They say it was because of Harvey forcing them to reevaluate all of Texas. I still think they are just getting me back for an expensive water leak flood 3 years ago from a bathroom fixture that went bad when we were gone for a week.

5 hours ago, Axe said:

When our AC went out, it was an old heat exchanger that went, and those are fine tuned to the furnace and...

so we got a new furnace with new AC. Big bucks, but at least we were fine with our fridge. It's like in the middle of cold early winter and THEN you find out your battery isn't much good.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

When our AC went out, it was an old heat exchanger that went, and those are fine tuned to the furnace and...

so we got a new furnace with new AC. Big bucks, but at least we were fine with our fridge. It's like in the middle of cold early winter and THEN you find out your battery isn't much good.

Yep-heat pump/AC they call 'em down here and you get the whole thing. Big bucks for the best. I thought a 60's Corvette should come with it for that price.

We went to my daughter's house and watched the Wash. DC concert & fireworks in her super tv "theater'. It was better than trying to go to the live ones near here in drizzle & light rain.

Joshua Bell & the Beach Boys! Doesn't get much better.!

Archived