THE BROWNS BOARD

How Many Here are Particular about Buy American ?

BrownIndian

I am suprised this 'Buy American' concept has gone as far as it has...Political jargon as afar as I'm concerned

Why not buy the most economical, and save your dough for your own jeans...No one else is looking after you in this economical recession.

I nvr was and never am. But I do avoid Walmart as much as possible.

It's difficult to do and, given an opportunity, I don't always pay a premium for American made goods. This being said, I feel good when I do buy something that was made in the USA.

However, given the opportunity to support a local merchant over a chain / big box option, I generally support the local merchant. I purchase goods at a local hardware store and choose to support an independent lawn supply company over the likes of Home Depot or Lowe's.

These are generalities and not hard rules.

FWIW, I don't have a major problem with Wal-Mart either. I don't go because the store is too darn big and too darn busy with customers.

I wonder if China would implode if we closed all Wal Marts?????

While dealing with retailers Walmart usually dictates their profit margin. If a good is worth 5 units and the Chinese company wants to sell it for 7 units to make 2 units of profit, walmart will not agree. Walmart will haggle and get it down to 5 or 6 units only. Walmart then sells the mass produced goods in their stores for a cheap rate ( they also have their profit line which while not big gets big as they mass sell). The chinese dealer in order to make the same profit has to find a different vendor that can market their huge good stock to the consumers or will have to use cheaper materials in his goods to meet his profit expectations. Hence the loss of quality.

If chinese were also expected to produce the same high quality goods then the cost will increase and will put Walmart at a competive disadvantage.

It's difficult to do and, given an opportunity, I don't always pay a premium for American made goods. This being said, I feel good when I do buy something that was made in the USA.

However, given the opportunity to support a local merchant over a chain / big box option, I generally support the local merchant. I purchase goods at a local hardware store and choose to support an independent lawn supply company over the likes of Home Depot or Lowe's.

These are generalities and not hard rules.

Same here.

I'm with Leg. Smaller and local usually win out for me. I'll use big box retailers every once in a while, but would rather not.

Grew up in an "American car only" family, but that stopped making sense when the quality difference became too apparent. When you're spending $25,000 on something, you want the best your money can buy.

I'm really happy with my Accord (and chuckle every time I happen upon its more expensive twin that had the "H" emblem surgically altered into an "A"). I'm also proud that it was assembled by some OH folks too. I put about 6 months of research into it and the Camry and just went with the personal preference after the test drive. Well that, and the Honda salesman asked me what it would take for me not to go back to the Toyota dealer.

GM's Malibu & the new ford Fusions just finally started to look halfway decent enough that I would consider test-driving one when I bought the Honda, which is a shame.

No it's right now and is for everyone. Seriously check into this. You would keep the exact insurance you had while employed...

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/2.../NEWS/200015440

Employees who lose their jobs will be entitled to generous federal subsidies of their COBRA health insurance premiums under an economic stimulus bill signed into law Tuesday by President Barack Obama at a ceremony in Denver.

The federal government will pay 65% of COBRA premiums for employees who are laid off from Sept. 1, 2008, through Dec. 31, 2009. The subsidy will extend for nine months. However, individuals with an annual adjusted gross income of more than $125,000 and couples with an adjusted gross income of more than $250,000 will not be eligible for the subsidy.

Employers will face a significant communications and administrative challenge to comply with the COBRA provisions, which go into effect March 1.

Employees who were laid off since Sept. 1, 2008, and declined to opt for COBRA coverage will have a new right to enroll in COBRA, and employers are required to inform those individuals of that right.

In addition, laid-off employees now receiving COBRA will have to be informed of the new subsidy and their premium contributions will have to be adjusted—as of March 1—to reflect the new subsidy.

The Joint Committee on Taxation estimates that the subsidy could help 7 million individuals and their families. It also estimates that the subsidy will cost the government nearly $25 billion.

I try to,but some times its hard to know how much of it is american.I work for a part supply company,for ford.Half the products we make are for honda and also europe.Bought a american car and only 67 percent was built here.My dad worked in a steel mill in the flats,hes laid off atm.When he started at the mill it was J&L Steel, which became Republic Steel then LTV Steel and its now owned by ArcelorMittal's.The mill was built by the goverment by tax payer dollers and is now Foreign owned.The steel is made here but the profits go overseas.

When given a choice, I always buy the "Made in USA" item.

At Kohl's today, I was shopping for picture frames and they sell North American Enclosure frames, made in USA. Sold. Didn't look at the price.

Kohl's also has socks made in the USA. Socks! Hard to believe, right? I buy those socks.

In fact, speaking of supporting companies, I shop mostly at Kohl's for reasons like these two and also the fact that they actually offer their in-house credit card members additional discounts for using their card. And, I'm fairly certain, they maintain their own finance department, so their card is actually theirs, not some banks.

I happen to believe that we vote with our wallets all the time and I pay close attention to who and what I support.

I will buy fast food but I try to limit it because those companies don't support what I value. But I shop at farmer's markets and support local grocery co-ops whenever humanly possible which I hope balances things a bit.

As for Wal-Mart, I despise the place and all that it stands for. The irony of places like Wal-Mart and McDonald's, places that market themselves as All-American, is that you couldn't create more communistic enterprises if you tried. They dictate prices and policies to their suppliers (and franchisees, in McDonald's case), they demand not just loyalty but obedience from the same, they entice consumers with low cost items that have a high cost in myriad other ways (environmental, social, governmental, cultural) and, perhaps worst of all, they represent the U.S. to many around the world.

Juki: I am with you 100% on the food thing. The wife and I went to see Food Inc. last night and it is right up your alley, even though we (and you, evidently) know what's going on with these American food conglomerates already.

I own three US made Ovation and Adamas guitars and one US made Martin.

One A and L Canadien.

My Fender was a gift and Japanese.

Unless there's a great sale I try to buy New Balance shoes made in the US.

If Ford had made a small SYV with all wheel drive I'd have bought one but I have a Subaru Outback.

I have absolutely no beef with Walmart.

If it's a choice between two equally useful items and the price difference isn't huge I buy American.

WSS

At one time I sought out Made In USA goods....but few did, and now i can't find all that much....so no....now I don't even bother looking.

I even shop Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart supports many families in this country. Their wages for low level workers aren't that bad when you compare to other places, and they offer some pretty good opportunities to move up where you can make some pretty darn good money...a store GM isn't required to hold over a HS education...and a GM makes about 100K a year....not bad scratch by anyones standard.

Archived