THE BROWNS BOARD

An instructive table

A few that dont give Obama much credit for the bright spots in the current economy:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/...k-under-mccain/

Summary:

If McCain were president, let's assume that we wouldn't have seen a stimulus package. Would the economy look much different? No.

So does that mean we coulda NOT spent all that money and still be screwed?

Reminds me of the Franklin Ajaye bit about coming in last in a long distance race.

Yu gotta be thinking "Hell I coulda watched TV, drank beer and smoked cigarettes instead of trainiong and still came in last!"

:)

WSS

No shit, it's mind boggling how we went from a surplus to this kind of deficit in 9 years.

My American history is a bit fuzzy, when did we become a "superpower"?

Was it with the industrial revolution?

The only reason I ask is that if this truly is the end of us as the big boy on the block we have had a relatively short run compared to other empires throughout history...

It doesn't look good for us, and it seems that our only hope for a comeback is that we develop the next "big thing" from a technical/engineering/science standpoint.

Post-WWII, Spec.

WWII marked the true end of the Industrial Revolution and ushered in the Modern Age.

All the old powers were either decimated/weakened which allowed to megaliths to move in: us and the Soviets.

Then the Cold War, blah blah blah, terrorism, blah blah blah.

Which makes me wonder:

How different would the economic picture be if we HADN'T invaded Iraq?

Anybody ever read "The 2% Solution"? It posited spending 2% of GDP on things like education, Social Security, etc. It suggested spending an "obscene" amount of $250 billion on ourselves to help fix things.

Seems so quaint now...sigh....

It's maddening, and even moreso for me right now cause this town is completely dry....

Folks piss on California a lot, but there at least three legal dispensaries within a ten minute walk from my front door.

Well after all the speculation on the economy and the World Largest ever "Stimulus/Pork/Spending bill" I would say that Obama and the Dems have really put the working tax paying class in jeopardy.

What has been the one thing the government has always went back to to stimulate the economy during a recession or depression?

Who are we going to war with next is what the question should be.

Not really, go read your history books again. What brought us out of the great depression?

A ) The New Deal :lol:

B ) WW II

Or is it all you can do and say is to make wise cracks. grow up punk.

Yeah but we're already in the middle of a war right now. It didn't keep us out of this current mess.

Beacause in WW2 we took over the job as world manufacturing headquarters as Europe demolished itself.

We're handing that title to China.

And we lost a lot of workers and shrunk the unemployment lines.

And the drought ended.

But it sure as hell wasn't the new deal.

WSS

I couldnt agree more and from what Obama ran on,

Becoming a leader in new fuels and the tech market are vital for this country to grow

Absolutely correct Dan.

Still that's the road we're on no matter who uses it as a camp[aign tool.

But I have no idealistic beef with Obama (or Pickens) there.

Just keep realistic boys.

Oil is an actual commodity.

Technology can and will be copied and swiped.

Hence the revenue factor is wiped out.

WSS

Every acre? In the entire country? Really?

Name one person who wanted that, Dan.

How about, more realistically,

the people who just wanted to drill where there IS oil,

in Alaska?

Or maybe two other places in the entire U.S. ?

Limited or not, it's ignorant to use oil as a political wedge,

when the new technologies, even if they DO exist, are not ready to take oil's place.

Education. A big reason why many tech jobs are shipped abroad is the "lack of tech people" available and the cost at which the existing people are available. A more skilled workforce will help in having more competition and that will bring down the cost of labor. We need more engineers, scientists, doctors and programmers. The govt must do all it can to make education and cheaper for all.

when the new technologies, even if they DO exist, are not ready to take oil's place.

The new technologies are not yet fully ready to displace oil as a car fuel, but that is no reason for us to not invest in and utilize such technologies. Hybrids are a positive in that step. Back then US was the only major player in car market. Right now with most of the asian markets emerging the demand for oil and hence the cost of that precious commodity will only increase. It is in our best interest to prepare ourselves rather that wait for some one else to find the solution.

Archived