THE BROWNS BOARD

Pelosi To Slap Down Detainee Photo Release Ban

Guest mz.

Big win for liberals: In an interview set to air on Ed Schultz’s show tonight, Nancy Pelosi will make it official: She’s opposed to allowing the measure banning the release of detainee photos to remain in the final war spending bill.

“I don’t think Congress should make an exception to FOIA,” Pelosi will say, her spokesperson, Brendan Daly, confirms to me.

Meanwhile, Dem Rep Louise Slaughter confirmed today that the final bill definitely will not contain the measure, which is an amendment first proposed by Joe Lieberman and Lindsey Graham that would give the President the power to bar FOIA releases of detainee photos in the name of national security. It passed the Senate and was sought by the White House, but House liberals balked.

The stripping of the measure is a big victory for liberals and civil libertarians, and puts the House Dem leadership at odds with the White House on a highly sensitive national security and civil liberties issue. It also sets up a major confrontation with Lieberman.

via here.

It's about more than that. It's about the effort of Sens. Graham and Lieberman to insert language into unrelated bills that bans the release of certain photos entirely without review.

It allows the government to suppress any "photograph taken between September 11, 2001 and January 22, 2009 relating to the treatment of individuals engaged, captured, or detained after September 11, 2001, by the Armed Forces of the United States in operations outside of the United States."

All that's needed is for the Secretary of Defense to say that disclosure would "endanger" American citizens or our troops. If he says that, then any photographs taken over that time period will be kept from the public even if they'd been released under the Freedom of Information Act.

That strikes me as excessive. I don't think we should go that far either.

just as long as we dont have to see pictures of her it will be nice now we need the earplugs so we dont have to listen to the butch's ramblings

Solid take, Player.

I dont' understand this, and perhaps my democrat friends can explain this to me. If Obama himself has deemed this information to sensitive to release, why isn't Pelosi backing him?

I for one am glad Pelosi showed some balls here and didn't capitulate to Obama/Hillary's backing of Graham and Liebs' intended gutting of the Freedom of Info Act. Pelosi isn't backing him because she doesn't believe in the gutting of FOIA, evidently, and isn't just following the Pres' decrees, like the old GOP and Bush.

Totally! Democrats never do anything because they think it's good policy, or bad policy. It's always for the next election, even when that election is 18 months away.

And the best part is, since they're in politics, you can accuse them of doing this anytime they make a decision about anything! It never gets old!

So Obama is a smart, intelligent intellectual, most unlike Bush, yet Nancy Pelosi somehow knows better than him about this situation?

I'm sorry I trust Nancy Pelosi as far as I can throw her with my pinky finger. Everything she does is self serving and for political gain.

Who is to say if she "knows better" than Obama, but I commend her for standing up and making her own decision. This isn't saying anything bad about Obama at all.

And I love how Nancy Pelosi is given a ton of shit from everyone for being just another party line bitch, and then gets spat on when she makes her own decisions against "party" line. That's politics for ya.

Archived