THE BROWNS BOARD

Is someone deleting my posts?

manbearpig

what makes my posts less valid than others? the browns can't tackle, we have seen that! I want to know what they are doing. delete this, I am starting to think that you are browns elitists now. I love my team and I love Cleveland but I wont tollerate assholes.

LOL....I wonder who he thinks looks like the asshole now!

I wouldn't say asshole but some guys just gotta understand that not every subject that gets started is going to generate responses. The tackling thing was well documented last year but I really don't know what there is to discuss about it other than they need to do it better. Right now the hot topics are Qb and RB and mini camp notes.

I'll guarantee that Mangie and his staff took note watching film of some of the pathetic efforts. I always hear guys talk up Mike Adams, but I for one thought he pretty much sucked last year tackling in space to go along with the others. Gone are Andra Davis and Sean Jones, two more huge culprits, but to be sure there are others that need to get a whole lot better this year.

I've always thought Wimbley sucks tackling in space for someone as athletic as him. All I ever hear about is how he needs to be used more effectively so he sees less double etc but the fact remains he has terrible balance and at times is reminiscent of Rahim Abdullah.

Elam hopefully will make a big impact in this department as will Barton and Bowens, but Pool needs to get better also.

I'll guarantee that Mangie and his staff took note watching film of some of the pathetic efforts. I always hear guys talk up Mike Adams, but I for one thought he pretty much sucked last year tackling in space to go along with the others. Gone are Andra Davis and Sean Jones, two more huge culprits, but to be sure there are others that need to get a whole lot better this year.

I've always thought Wimbley sucks tackling in space for someone as athletic as him. All I ever hear about is how he needs to be used more effectively so he sees less double etc but the fact remains he has terrible balance and at times is reminiscent of Rahim Abdullah.

Elam hopefully will make a big impact in this department as will Barton and Bowens, but Pool needs to get better also.

Great stuff Riff! The ONLY slight disagreement I have is regarding Sean Jones WHEN HEALTHY. I can definitely see why people got frustrated with him in 08 BUT let's realize he's gone through 2 MAJOR knee operations since the day he was drafted AND that alot of guys would not have made it back to the playign field as quickly as Jones made it back in 08. Unfortunately for him, it worked against him in terms of perception of the fans because they noticed he was always a step or 2 away from being in good position to make the tackle the way it needed to be made.

In 2007, I dare say Sean Jones was our defensive MVP. Our LBing wasn't up to snuff and he made countless TD savign tackles. If that's not enough, Dumb Ass started out the Jets game with an INT on our very first drive and the Jets started their openign drive in the red zone. Guess who intercepted the ball right back for us at the goal line? Sean Jones. I KNOW there will be people reminding me his coverage wasn't any more dependable than that of Roy Williams in Dallas. I won't ARGUE with anyone thinking that BECAUSE our LBing in 07 was so bad - he got caught cheatign up in the box.

I'm thinking his best football is behind him so I'm looking forward to the changes made.

Other stuff:

I CANNOT wait to see our front 7 this year with an innovative mind running it.

As for Wimbley, when I see a wide eyed ROOKIE collecting 11 sacks that instills the word PROMISING in my dome. When you add promising + LACK of innovation above him = stunted growth. Similarly, when Alex Hall showed up in the rotation for the first few weeks - we got a little bit of a wow factor showing up in the form of "who is THAT?" Unfortunately, the same people coaching up Wimbley where in charge of the same equation: promising + LACK of innovation = stunted growth. Now we have a new coaching staff to change this.

There was one area I thought Wimbley improved in and that was his ability back into a hook zone to intercept Trent Edwards in Buffalo. People forget Lawrence Taylor was also pretty impressive in coverage back in the day when the situation called for that.

Where Wimbley ran into trouble against the run wasn't ANY different than where Courtney Brown had trouble against the run. It was going 1 gap on play side. Those 2 guys are actually TOUGHER to block when the play goes backside. Brown made so many tackles from backside pursuit when healthy. When the play came AT him - he looked just as helpless as Bruce Smith looked playing olay against Jumbo Elliott and the NY running game. MAYBE this was PART of the reason Wimbley's pass rush growth was stunted. We needed BETTER containment off the edge after his rookie year so I think he was asked to be outside leverage and turn all plays inward toward pursuit.

I haven't given up on Wimbley. I would like to see us using him in a variety of ways. SOMETIMES the outside leverage will be necessary. Sometimes we can STUNT him. Sometimes we can slant the men in 3 pont stances to either the wide side or short side. SOMETIMES, if he's our quickest guy, why NOT line him up right next to D'Qwell. Little Ray Rice knocked D'Qwell backwards on 1 of his inside X stunts and I saw this 2 different times. I think Wimbley can get past a little guy like that better IMO.

Tackling has been a LOST art here long before Wimbley got here. When I've seen us leading the IR annually since 1999, I can somewhat see why we're not tackling every day in practice. That said, tackling is ALL about who is in the best position. If we're late on recognition or with quickness, we're gonna see alot of those Wali Rainer arm tackles or pursuit angles pushing RBs out of bounds. I think DQ is improving but I still see ALOT of Wali Rainer in him. I want to see MORE hitting with his shoulder and wrapping his arms around than arm tackling. Arm tackling is a symptom of slow recognition and look no gurther than where the majority of a guy's tackles take place. If it's Ray lewis - it's at the line of scrimmage with picture perfect form tackles. If it's DQ - it's a large volume of tackles that we need to get CLOSER to the line of scrimmage before I can say he's exactly where we need him to be.

Having Shaun Rogers up front should help this immensely.

As for the secondary, I always bring this up - if we can generate the hurried throws the way we could with Jamir Miller back in 2001 - even an average bunch of DBs can lead the conference in INTs. I think our secondary on paper for 2009 looks better than the group of Devon Bush, Corey Fuller (end stage), Daylon McCutcheon, Anthony Henry (rookie), Percy/Marcie Ellsworth, Earl Little. I didn't MAKE this rule of thumb but playing pass defense gets ALOT easier when opposing QBs are throwing the ball before they want to.

- Tom F.

It's going to be tough on any 3-4 linebacker when you have sucky players in front of him as we have had the past???...wow.. ok...for a rally long time now..

I am not totally convinced that what we have on the DL right now is much better... Again, I hope to be proven wrong.. ( ok Rogers is the real deal, but he can't do it himself)... team sport.. Sometimes lb's are only as good as the guys eating the blockers in front of him. That being said, it does not excuse the horrible open field misses. Mangini really seems to be focusing on knowing your job, being in the right position, and allowing the defense as a whole to do the job correctly.. That's how it should be.. Let's just see if it translates on game day.

what makes my posts less valid than others? the browns can't tackle, we have seen that! I want to know what they are doing. delete this, I am starting to think that you are browns elitists now. I love my team and I love Cleveland but I wont tollerate assholes.

Wow....That isn't only too emotional, That's embarrassing.

Archived