THE BROWNS BOARD

Last Title by Town

The Gipper

Now that the hockey and basketball playoffs are completed and the putrid suckass Lakers and Penquins have won, here is the updated data on when the last year was that each major league city won a championship. (meaning a city that currently has a franchise in one of the 4 major sports. Also, for a city that has never had a team win a championship, and there are several, I have included the first year in which they had a major league team play in that city:

2009 Los Angeles/Anaheim (Lakers NBA)

2009 Pittsburgh (Penguins NHL)

2008 Oklahoma City no title, first year "Thunder" played there

2008 Philadelphia (Phillies MLB)

2008 Boston (Celtics NBA)

2008 Detroit (Redwings NHL)

2007 New York/New Jersey (Giants NFL)

2007 San Antonio (Spurs NBA)

2006 Indianapolis (Colts NFL)

2006 St. Louis (Cardinals MLB)

2006 Raleigh (Hurricane NHL)

2006 Miami (Heat NBA)

2005 Chicago (White Sox MLB)

2004 Tampa/St. Pete (Lightning NHL)

2001 Phoenix (Diamondbacks MLB)

2001 Denver (Avalanche NHL)

2001 Memphis no titles, first year "Grizzlies" played

2000 Baltimore (Ravens NFL)

2000 Columbus not titles, first year "Bluejackets" played

1999 Dallas (Stars NHL)

1997 Nashville no titles, first year "Titans" played

1996 Green Bay (Packers NFL)

1995 Houston (Rockets NBA)

1995 Jacksonville no titles, first year "Jaguars" played

1995 Atlanta (Braves MLB)

1994 San Fran/Oak/SJ (49ers NFL)

1993 Toronto (Blue Jays MLB)

1993 Montreal (Canadiennes NHL)

1992 Washington (Redskins NFL)

1991 Minn./St. Paul (Twins MLB)

1990 Cincinnati (Reds MLB)

1990 Edmonton (Oilers NHL)

1989 Calgary (Flames NHL)

1989 Orlando no titles, first year "Magic" played

1988 Charlotte no titles, first year "Hornets" (since moved) played

1985 Kansas City (Royals MLB)

1985 Sacramento no titles, first year "Kings" played

1979 Seattle (Sonics NBA)

1977 Portland (Blazers NBA)

1971 Milwaukee (Bucks NBA)

1971 Salt Lake (Utah Stars ABA)

1967 New Orleans no titles, first year "Saints" played

1965 Buffalo (Bills AFL)

1964 Cleveland (Browns NFL)

1963 San Diego (Chargers AFL)

1927 Ottawa (Senators NHL) (not current Ottawa Senator franchise)

1915 Vancouver (Millionaires NHL)

As you can see, only San Diego in the US has "suffered" longer (if you can call living in San Diegs "suffering) than Cleveland, plus the one trick pony Canadian cities who actually once had NHL teams but for many, many years..like 50.. didn't have a team.

In truth, however, you have to place New Orleans, Sacramento, Charlotte, Memphis, Jacksonville, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Nashville and Columbus either behind us or in a different list. While they didn't 'suffer' in the same way, they did 'suffer' by not having a major team/sport to play for.

And if we're counting AFL and ABA championships, don't forget about all of our heralded NPSL (no idea what that stands for) championships in 1990's! Go Crunch/Force!

In truth, however, you have to place New Orleans, Sacramento, Charlotte, Memphis, Jacksonville, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Nashville and Columbus either behind us or in a different list. While they didn't 'suffer' in the same way, they did 'suffer' by not having a major team/sport to play for.

And if we're counting AFL and ABA championships, don't forget about all of our heralded NPSL (no idea what that stands for) championships in 1990's! Go Crunch/Force!

The AFL, ABA, AAFC, WHL are leagues that merged with the current NFL, NBA, or NHL. Thus they constituted a "major League".

Soccer itself has not risen to the level of a major league sport in North America. Indoor soccer even less so.

Someday maybe the MLS may come to be considered a major league sport, but, in the words of Aragorn "today is not that day".

As for the other cities you mention, until sometime in the 70s those were all small, bohunk, "minor league" towns. It was only after the great southern migration of the 70s caused by the energy crises of that decade did those towns start to grow and get to the point of being able to attract a major league type franchise. That is fine for them, but did not really go very long where they were big enough to be considered viable major league cities before they got teams.

Now that the hockey and basketball playoffs are completed and the putrid suckass Lakers and Penquins have won, here is the updated data on when the last year was that each major league city won a championship. (meaning a city that currently has a franchise in one of the 4 major sports. Also, for a city that has never had a team win a championship, and there are several, I have included the first year in which they had a major league team play in that city:

2009 Los Angeles/Anaheim (Lakers NBA)

2009 Pittsburgh (Penguins NHL)

2008 Oklahoma City no title, first year "Thunder" played there

2008 Philadelphia (Phillies MLB)

2008 Boston (Celtics NBA)

2008 Detroit (Redwings NHL)

2007 New York/New Jersey (Giants NFL)

2007 San Antonio (Spurs NBA)

2006 Indianapolis (Colts NFL)

2006 St. Louis (Cardinals MLB)

2006 Raleigh (Hurricane NHL)

2006 Miami (Heat NBA)

2005 Chicago (White Sox MLB)

2004 Tampa/St. Pete (Lightning NHL)

2001 Phoenix (Diamondbacks MLB)

2001 Denver (Avalanche NHL)

2001 Memphis no titles, first year "Grizzlies" played

2000 Baltimore (Ravens NFL)

2000 Columbus not titles, first year "Bluejackets" played

1999 Dallas (Stars NHL)

1997 Nashville no titles, first year "Titans" played

1996 Green Bay (Packers NFL)

1995 Houston (Rockets NBA)

1995 Jacksonville no titles, first year "Jaguars" played

1995 Atlanta (Braves MLB)

1994 San Fran/Oak/SJ (49ers NFL)

1993 Toronto (Blue Jays MLB)

1993 Montreal (Canadiennes NHL)

1992 Washington (Redskins NFL)

1991 Minn./St. Paul (Twins MLB)

1990 Cincinnati (Reds MLB)

1990 Edmonton (Oilers NHL)

1989 Calgary (Flames NHL)

1989 Orlando no titles, first year "Magic" played

1988 Charlotte no titles, first year "Hornets" (since moved) played

1985 Kansas City (Royals MLB)

1985 Sacramento no titles, first year "Kings" played

1979 Seattle (Sonics NBA)

1977 Portland (Blazers NBA)

1971 Milwaukee (Bucks NBA)

1971 Salt Lake (Utah Stars ABA)

1967 New Orleans no titles, first year "Saints" played

1965 Buffalo (Bills AFL)

1964 Cleveland (Browns NFL)

1963 San Diego (Chargers AFL)

1927 Ottawa (Senators NHL) (not current Ottawa Senator franchise)

1915 Vancouver (Millionaires NHL)

As you can see, only San Diego in the US has "suffered" longer (if you can call living in San Diegs "suffering) than Cleveland, plus the one trick pony Canadian cities who actually once had NHL teams but for many, many years..like 50.. didn't have a team.

Good stuff, Gipper.

I wonder if anyone has ever broke it down by "seasons":

For example, the Browns have played 45 seasons, the Indians 45 seasons, and the Cavaliers 39 seasons since the last time Cleveland won a championship, which totals Cleveland fans enduring 129 straight seasons without a championship.

San Diego would be Chargers 46 seasons, Padres 40 seasons, and SD clippers 6 seasons ... so "only" 94 seasons forSD fans.

My numbers may be off a year or so .. but I think we are officially the "long-sufferingest".

Zombo

EDIT: I forgot about the Cleveland Barons of the NHL and Cleveland Crusaders of WHA .... it's worse than I thought.

Good stuff, Gipper.

I wonder if anyone has ever broke it down by "seasons":

For example, the Browns have played 45 seasons, the Indians 45 seasons, and the Cavaliers 39 seasons since the last time Cleveland won a championship, which totals Cleveland fans enduring 129 straight seasons without a championship.

San Diego would be Chargers 46 seasons, Padres 40 seasons, and SD clippers 6 seasons ... so "only" 94 seasons forSD fans.

My numbers may be off a year or so .. but I think we are officially the "long-sufferingest".

Zombo

EDIT: I forgot about the Cleveland Barons of the NHL and Cleveland Crusaders of WHA .... it's worse than I thought.

I suspect that you would be absolutely right Zombo. If you took the actual number of total seasons played by the major league teams without winning a championship, Cleveland would for certain far far lead the pack. The Padres didn't play

until 1969. As you said, the Clippers only played for about 6 years in San Diego.

Also, I think your math is off somewhat. The Indians have gone 61 years now without winning a World Series. The Browns have played 42 seasons (remember to deduct the 3 years '96,'97, and '98), plus the Cavs 39 years. That makes a total of 142 team seasons played with no title. And that is not counting the Barons and Crusaders. So it is worse than you think.

[font="Georgia]There is gloating going on down south. [/font] :angry:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09167/977673-87.stm

And this bozo forgot about the Pipers ABA title. Nevertheless, see my other thread wherein it is evidenced that not having a title in 45 years simply demonstrates that we are far better sports fan than just about any fan base in America.

This guy simply reaffirms that fact.

I suspect that you would be absolutely right Zombo. If you took the actual number of total seasons played by the major league teams without winning a championship, Cleveland would for certain far far lead the pack. The Padres didn't play

until 1969. As you said, the Clippers only played for about 6 years in San Diego.

Also, I think your math is off somewhat. The Indians have gone 61 years now without winning a World Series. The Browns have played 42 seasons (remember to deduct the 3 years '96,'97, and '98), plus the Cavs 39 years. That makes a total of 142 team seasons played with no title. And that is not counting the Barons and Crusaders. So it is worse than you think.

Yeah, I didn't count all 61 years for the Indians because I was only going back to number of seasons each team played since ANY team in the city won a championship. But I see you applied it that way in the other thread. Good stuff. The cool thing, as you pointed out in the other thread, is the continued fan loyalty for all three Cleveland teams, fervor actually, despite the disappointing endings every year. Cleveland fans are indeed the best!

Zombo

Archived