THE BROWNS BOARD

How the spooks took over the news

Mr. T

How the spooks took over the news

In his controversial new book, Nick Davies argues that shadowy intelligence agencies are pumping out black propaganda to manipulate public opinion – and that the media simply swallow it wholesale

On the morning of 9 February 2004, The New York Times carried an exclusive and alarming story. The paper's Baghdad correspondent, Dexter Filkins, reported that US officials had obtained a 17-page letter, believed to have been written by the notorious terrorist Abu Musab al Zarqawi to the "inner circle" of al-Qa'ida's leadership, urging them to accept that the best way to beat US forces in Iraq was effectively to start a civil war.

The letter argued that al-Qa'ida, which is a Sunni network, should attack the Shia population of Iraq: "It is the only way to prolong the duration of the fight between the infidels and us. If we succeed in dragging them into a sectarian war, this will awaken the sleepy Sunnis."

Later that day, at a regular US press briefing in Baghdad, US General Mark Kimmitt dealt with a string of questions about The New York Times report: "We believe the report and the document is credible, and we take the report seriously... It is clearly a plan on the part of outsiders to come in to this country and spark civil war, create sectarian violence, try to expose fissures in this society." The story went on to news agency wires and, within 24 hours, it was running around the world.

There is very good reason to believe that that letter was a fake – and a significant one because there is equally good reason to believe that it was one product among many from a new machinery of propaganda which has been created by the United States and its allies since the terrorist attacks of September 2001.

For the first time in human history, there is a concerted strategy to manipulate global perception. And the mass media are operating as its compliant assistants, failing both to resist it and to expose it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/ho...ews-780672.html

For the first time in human history, there is a concerted strategy to manipulate global perception. And the mass media are operating as its compliant assistants, failing both to resist it and to expose it.

- JONATHAN GRUN, EDITOR,PRESS ASSOCIATION

I wouldn't say this is the first time propaganda has been used to sway public opinion.

- JONATHAN GRUN, EDITOR,PRESS ASSOCIATION

I wouldn't say this is the first time propaganda has been used to sway public opinion.

My God, go read G. Gordon Liddy's fantastic book, "Will" that details, among other things, how the Nixon Administration paid 'supporter/prosters' in an attempt to sway public opinion.

This is probably the second oldest profession.

My God, go read G. Gordon Liddy's fantastic book, "Will" that details, among other things, how the Nixon Administration paid 'supporter/prosters' in an attempt to sway public opinion.

This is probably the second oldest profession.

I am in the middle of his book at the present.

Thanks!

ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE

Tue Jun 16 2009 08:45:10 ET

On the night of June 24, the media and government become one, when ABC turns its programming over to President Obama

How spooks took over the news ??? :unsure:

I only know of one connotation for the word "spook." I hope someone can offer a better explanation if they'd like the thread to remain.

Black ops - CIA

Archived