THE BROWNS BOARD

ABC turns programming over to Obama - for News from White House

calfoxwc

ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE

Tue Jun 16 2009 08:45:10 ET

On the night of June 24, the media and government become one, when ABC turns its programming over to President Obama and White House officials to push government run health care -- a move that has ignited an ethical firestorm!

Highlights on the agenda:

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

The network plans a primetime special -- 'Prescription for America' -- originating from the East Room, exclude opposing voices on the debate.

MORE

Late Monday night, Republican National Committee Chief of Staff Ken McKay fired off a complaint to the head of ABCNEWS:

Dear Mr. Westin:

As the national debate on health care reform intensifies, I am deeply concerned and disappointed with ABC's astonishing decision to exclude opposing voices on this critical issue on June 24, 2009. Next Wednesday, ABC News will air a primetime health care reform “town hall” at the White House with President Barack Obama. In addition, according to an ABC News report, GOOD MORNING AMERICA, WORLD NEWS, NIGHTLINE and ABC’s web news “will all feature special programming on the president’s health care agenda.” This does not include the promotion, over the next 9 days, the president’s health care agenda will receive on ABC News programming.

Today, the Republican National Committee requested an opportunity to add our Party's views to those of the President's to ensure that all sides of the health care reform debate are presented. Our request was rejected. I believe that the President should have the ability to speak directly to the America people. However, I find it outrageous that ABC would prohibit our Party's opposing thoughts and ideas from this national debate, which affects millions of ABC viewers.

In the absence of opposition, I am concerned this event will become a glorified infomercial to promote the Democrat agenda. If that is the case, this primetime infomercial should be paid for out of the DNC coffers. President Obama does not hold a monopoly on health care reform ideas or on free airtime. The President has stated time and time again that he wants a bipartisan debate. Therefore, the Republican Party should be included in this primetime event, or the DNC should pay for your airtime.

Respectfully,

Ken McKay

Republican National Committee

Chief of Staff

MORE

ABCNEWS Senior Vice President Kerry Smith on Tuesday responded to the RNC complaint, saying it contained 'false premises':

"ABCNEWS prides itself on covering all sides of important issues and asking direct questions of all newsmakers -- of all political persuasions -- even when others have taken a more partisan approach and even in the face of criticism from extremes on both ends of the political spectrum. ABCNEWS is looking for the most thoughtful and diverse voices on this issue.

"ABCNEWS alone will select those who will be in the audience asking questions of the president. Like any programs we broadcast, ABC News will have complete editorial control. To suggest otherwise is quite unfair to both our journalists and our audience."

Developing

It's a joke man.

Even a half brain can figure out the problems with this.

I am telling you...this country is DONE...DEAD.

Reminds be of the state sponsored media outlet TASS.

It's really time for business to use some of their might.

It might be time for companies like P&G, McDonalds, Kellogs, Coca Cola, AB, and a bunch of other advertisers to pull advertising dollars and sped them on other networks for the next year until this outfit decides to either get out of the news business or see to it it is run as a news organization.

I almost didn't post it - I thought it HAD to actually be a joke, like the silly emails we all get ?

But...

then to read that the Obama admin is continuing to keep visitor lists from being available...

well, the Bush admin did the same thing. The OBama admin promised to be more transparent.

Tass is certainly a solid analogy. You have to wonder what really our country is coming to.

The trees are adding up... more of us are starting to see a forest that we don't like.

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

I am telling you...this country is DONE...DEAD.

I know! This is a total outrage!! Thank God Republicans are so principled and never stand for this type of stuff. I mean, broadcasting from inside the White House?

Who would ever do such a thing??

Oh yeah.

Maybe you guys should wait until they actually air the program to accuse it of bias. That might be nice. If the fact that it's coming from inside the White House was relevant, I guess that eliminates the need for the White House briefing room - it's so tainted!

Or once again, maybe we shouldn't get our news from Drudge.

Maybe mz the pussy thinks you folks are grasping at straws here, per usual.

Actually, I think you are the one grasping at straws. Thin straws.

The News is supposed to stay at least somewhat neutral and balanced. Though they always don't, I don't remember a entire news broadcast being taken over in this manner.

I also wonder what the other news outlets feel about ABC getting this scoop......sounds like a dirty deal to me.

This really is outrageous.

This really is outrageous.

So be outraged.

This is exactly like when the ESPN College Football crew with Fowler, Herbstreit and Corso show up at the site of the week's biggest game, and do their show from there. Are we to infer something "outrageous" is afoot when Corso dons a Gator head when broadcasting from Gainesville?

I'll say this: that NBC News two-night series on Obama in the White House was a f'ing disgrace to journalism. That should be hosted by Oprah, not Brian Williams.

But the fact that a special on health care is being broadcast from the White House isn't a problem. The problem is if it doesn't present the facts about health care. And since it hasn't aired yet, I don't know how you get excited about it.

It is really DISBURBING that the White House will not let any opposite viewpoint be included.

Not very fair and balanced, but that's okay if you buy into Obama's message.

Just controlled, edited, Obama dominated message.

The Tass thing was really legit.

Hate Fox News for not lol being "Fair and Balanced",,,

but ignore the refusal to present both sides in the WHITE HOUSE?

Priceless. And completely hypocritical.

Nice job, Heck, at least you're consistently in the tank for

whatever isn't done by conservatives.

As the national debate on health care reform intensifies, I am deeply concerned and disappointed with ABC's astonishing decision to exclude opposing voices on this critical issue on June 24, 2009. Next Wednesday

Sure, but hate Fox because it's popular because you don't like their fair and balanced.

But ABC can be very one sided, and Heck will back it to the end.

How convenient, the Left gets to have it both ways on the fair and balanced criticism,

- they don't have to be, because all the moveonupObama'sleg.org trained libs

will go right along with it.

Looks like no principles by the Left, only belligerent partisan opportunism. Always.

As the national debate on health care reform intensifies, I am deeply concerned and disappointed with ABC's astonishing decision to exclude opposing voices on this critical issue on June 24, 2009. Next Wednesday

Sure, but hate Fox because it's popular because you don't like their fair and balanced.

But ABC can be very one sided, and Heck will back it to the end.

How convenient, the Left gets to have it both ways on the fair and balanced criticism,

- they don't have to be, because all the moveonupObama'sleg.org trained libs

will go right along with it.

Looks like no principles by the Left, only belligerent partisan opportunism. Always.

Usted es un disco rayado. Ni siquiera una buena, es como escuchar a una banda muy mal país, una y otra vez.

ABC REFUSES PAID ADS OFFERING ALTERNATIVE VIEWPOINT FOR WHITE HOUSE HEALTH CARE PROGRAM

Wed Jun 17 2009 15:15:00 ET

ABC is refusing paid ads for its health care program at the White House. Thus they're refusing even a paid-for alternative viewpoint.

Conservatives for Patients Rights requested the rates to buy a 60 second network spot immediately preceding the broadcast of the Town Hall meeting.

Here is statement from Rick Scott, chairman of Conservatives for Patients Rights.

"It is unfortunate - and unusual - that ABC is refusing to accept paid advertising that would present an alternative viewpoint for the White House health care event. Health care is an issue that touches every American and all potential pieces of legislation have carried a pricetag in excess of $1 trillion of taxpayers' money. The American people deserve a healthy, robust debate on this issue and ABC's decision - as of now - to exclude even paid advertisements that present an alternative view does a disservice to the public. Our organization is more than willing to purchase ad time on ABC to present an alternative viewpoint and our hope is that ABC will reconsider having such viewpoints be part of this crucial debate for the American people. We were surprised to hear that paid advertisements would not be accepted when we inquired and we would certainly be open to purchasing time if ABC would reconsider."

Here is statement from Rick Scott, chairman of Conservatives for Patients Rights.

Seems like a "fair and balanced" guy to me, without agenda or side taken.

Conservatives for Patients' Rights (CPR) is a health care pressure group founded by Rick Scott, a lawyer by trade, in February 2009. Scott has stated that CPR is intended to put pressure on U.S. Democrats to enact health care legislation based on free-market principles. CPR opposes the broad outlines of President Obama's health care reform plan, and has hired Creative Response Concepts, a public relations firm which previously worked with the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Scott has been accused of using swiftboating tactics in an attempt to defeat Obama's health care reform plan.

Oops. Maybe not.

You know what they say about opinions, right?

Your sources are as partisan as anyone's, cal. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, because people gravitate towards what they believe in, but you criticizing everyone else as being partisan while you are as well stinks.

Ah, mz the pussy, you misinterpret.

I ADMIT I'm partisan. Never denied it. How could I, for goodness sakes?

The point is, there are other folks who have railed against partisan posts, etc,

and they turn right around and are partisan.

I'm simply pointing out other guilty of partisanship people who deny it.

You won't find where I ever said I wasn't partisan.

There's a difference.

I'm simply pointing out other guilty of partisanship people who deny it.

Yeah, I know. It's really all you talk about.

Well, that and farming.

The problem is, you don't know the difference between something with a legit but partisan point of view and total baseless garbage. I guess in your situation it's tough to discern between the two because when you believe in what you believe in they look so strikingly similar.

So be outraged.

This is exactly like when the ESPN College Football crew with Fowler, Herbstreit and Corso show up at the site of the week's biggest game, and do their show from there. Are we to infer something "outrageous" is afoot when Corso dons a Gator head when broadcasting from Gainesville?

Earth to mz the pussy..that's entertainment.

Try to follow the bouncing ball.

Have you watched the news lately?

Rarely are they unbiased, they always report from some sort of angle, and a perfect example is Fox news. Probably the most unabashedly biased network on TV, and they come from the right, without shame.

I dunno, I would think if this was a takeover, then ABC news broadcasts would have to come from the whitehouse from now on. If this is a one time thing then I'm not sure what the big hoopla is about.

LOL....what do you think??

I am not talking about the slant or editorial content a network or newspaper takes....this just strikes me as being way over the limit...and as i said...i wonder what CBS or CNN think??

And I am not talking about a takeover.....you guys really don't see at least a little something wrong with this picture??

Earth to mz the pussy..that's entertainment.

Network news hasn't been, in any way, hard-hitting journalism since the days of Walter Cronkite. Anyone who gets their news from ABC, NBC, CBS Nightly News etc isn't really learning anything. To me, they are exactly the same as what I presented to you earlier. But you're totally entitled to disagree with me.

Try to follow the bouncing ball.

Anyone who disagrees with you is stupid, eh?

Thanks, cal.

Not at all mz the pussy.

Wrong maybe ;), but not stupid.

I have know many brilliant people with whom I have disagreed.

Try to follow the bouncing ball. Ballpeen

Thanks, cal.

well, you seem to have your names mixed up, mz the pussy

Besides, that's a pretty mean thing to call Ballpe...

hey, wait a minute, dangit...

Archived