THE BROWNS BOARD

Water on Mars

I've always found it interesting that scientists assume that life on other planets would have to mirror life on earth. Why is that so? Who is to say that life on some other planet hasn't evolved that requires sulfuric acid to live?

Mars supposedly had over 1,500 feet of ocean covering its surface at one time.

About 4 billion years ago, a very large asteroid hit Mars.

This caused the dynamo in the core to stop spinning which killed the magnetic field.

No magnetic field means that the planet had zero protection from the sun.

Which caused the planet to get burnt to a crisp.

They say the same thing nearly happened to Earth early in it's development. A 'moon' hit Earth which nearly caused the dynamo to stop. But the impact wasn't quite big enough, lucky us.

I've always found it interesting that scientists assume that life on other planets would have to mirror life on earth. Why is that so? Who is to say that life on some other planet hasn't evolved that requires sulfuric acid to live?

That is a good point. But I think for the effect of explaining it to people on Earth they need a reference point for the average person. It's easier for people to swallow. Many people cannot think about their box, just look at Cal for example.

How convenient. You get to define boxes. Must help you self actualize. Congrats !

Meanwhile,

I've always found it interesting that scientists assume that life on other planets would have to mirror life on earth. Why is that so? Who is to say that life on some other planet hasn't evolved that requires sulfuric acid to live? PE

This is a terrific question. But only NoKlueczar and MosquitoZits will know a good answer about the planets they've

been to.

Mars supposedly had over 1,500 feet of ocean covering its surface at one time.

About 4 billion years ago, a very large asteroid hit Mars.

This caused the dynamo in the core to stop spinning which killed the magnetic field.

No magnetic field means that the planet had zero protection from the sun.

Which caused the planet to get burnt to a crisp.

They say the same thing nearly happened to Earth early in it's development. A 'moon' hit Earth which nearly caused the dynamo to stop. But the impact wasn't quite big enough, lucky us.

Whew!

I hope we can get the proper taxes in place to prevent that from happening!!!!

WSS

How convenient. You get to define boxes. Must help you self actualize. Congrats !

Meanwhile,

I've always found it interesting that scientists assume that life on other planets would have to mirror life on earth. Why is that so? Who is to say that life on some other planet hasn't evolved that requires sulfuric acid to live? PE

This is a terrific question. But only NoKlueczar and MosquitoZits will know a good answer about the planets they've

been to.

Everytime I think you can't get any cornier with your answer, you top yourself each post. Nice.

I answered the question above.

Archived