THE BROWNS BOARD

Wouldn't it be great if............

D Bone

He sure is incredible. Maybe he'll even be good enough to go to the pro bowl some day.

BTW expect a soph slump from this guy as their opponents are upgraded for this season. No more Detroilets on the sched.

They picked up Tony Gonzalez.... They'll be fine on offense at least.

Sounds like he's becoming Quinnsian in his training and preparation.

Now if only Quinn could do what Ryan did on the field last season...................

There's no QB competition in Atlanta. Of course they are going to praise their QB. If Mangini were to name a QB...err to name Quinn as QB...then you would start hearing a bit more praise from the coaching staff and players. But, nobody wants to praise someone too much just to find out that the already proven (hahaha proven failure), DA, got the job...not that that will ever happen. Then they would have to backtrack and sing their false praises for DA! But...it does sound like Ryan's approach this year is very similar to Quinn's! Hopefully, that will ease your minds a bit.

Now...here is a true shocker...Lums, I actually agree with you about the Sophmore slump from Ryan. Their schedule will be a lot tougher. I don't think it will be terrible. But I won't pick him up right away in my fantasy league either. He'll struggle at times against some of the better teams. And, other times, he will look all world. But, in the end, I think his numbers may be down from last season. Next year though...Look Out!

Now...here is a true shocker...Lums, I actually agree with you about the Sophmore slump from Ryan. Their schedule will be a lot tougher. I don't think it will be terrible. But I won't pick him up right away in my fantasy league either. He'll struggle at times against some of the better teams. And, other times, he will look all world. But, in the end, I think his numbers may be down from last season. Next year though...Look Out!

It's interesting how this can happen in other cities without fans booing, chanting for the backup, and screaming that the NFL "figured him out".

It's interesting how this can happen in other cities without fans booing, chanting for the backup, and screaming that the NFL "figured him out".

Sure is, you should def switch to an Atlanta fan!

Wouldn't you know it? Lumnuts finally makes a decent point and a couple of people agree with him, and then he has to turn all douchebag and move right back to his personal attack on all of the real Browns fans on here. Lums, the situation in Cleveland with your boy-toy DA is not the same as Matt Ryan's situation in Atlanta. DA was not a rookie when he took over in the beginning of '07. Even if he was, his slump started only halfway through '07. Then, it continued into '08! You can point to the Giants game about how he is great, but it just proves what everyone has been trying to tell you. DA can only perform when the pressure is off! NOBODY expected the Browns to win that game. Thus, NO PRESSURE. Thus, Dumb-Ass played good! Should we point out all of his failures or do you have those clearly in your head?! Give it UP! Matt Ryan is a true Sophmore...who had a great Rookie campaign against sub-par talent. DA has been in the league for a few years and still has not proven himself to be what YOU want him to be!

Ryan won a game or two when the pressure was on and his back was up against it. Name me the game where DA did that.

I'm not tryin to stir up the pot or anything (ok maybe I am) but I think we can look forward to this next year after quinn locks down the job this year and looks to improve upon a decent year as being a starting quarterback..

DA can only perform when the pressure is off! NOBODY expected the Browns to win that game. Thus, NO PRESSURE.

Yeah because there's so many games in the NFL where there isn't any pressure on the team to win....

A truer statement would be to say that BQ Nation likes to find any loss and go back to retroactively say that was a huge game.

For instance if the Browns had lost to the Seahawks or Jets or Ravens or Bills or 49ers then BQ Nation would be claiming those were the biggest games of the year. But instead they won so to BQ Nation they were all gimmes.

Yeah because there's so many games in the NFL where there isn't any pressure on the team to win....

A truer statement would be to say that BQ Nation likes to find any loss and go back to retroactively say that was a huge game.

For instance if the Browns had lost to the Seahawks or Jets or Ravens or Bills or 49ers then BQ Nation would be claiming those were the biggest games of the year. But instead they won so to BQ Nation they were all gimmes.

No we wouldnt, we would still point to the shitfest in Cincy.

There's no QB competition in Atlanta. Of course they are going to praise their QB. If Mangini were to name a QB...err to name Quinn as QB...then you would start hearing a bit more praise from the coaching staff and players. But, nobody wants to praise someone too much just to find out that the already proven (hahaha proven failure), DA, got the job...not that that will ever happen. Then they would have to backtrack and sing their false praises for DA! But...it does sound like Ryan's approach this year is very similar to Quinn's! Hopefully, that will ease your minds a bit.

A slump is all relative... but I wouldn't guess that Ryan will somehow put on a poorer display than last year. Sophomore slumps usually manifest themselves in non-traditional quarterbacks. Guys who run, guys who can't run at all, soft tossers who fluff balls into this zone and that. Those are the guys that get "figured out". Ryan's got just enough of everything to continue to put pressure on defenses. He's got just enough arm to throw his way out of trouble, and just enough mobility to save his own skin.

I'd be more concerned with Ryan's confidence on the upswing, that he doesn't get himself injured... a poorly timed throw into an oncoming rusher, or a fall on that shoulder while taking an ill-advised scramble.

But, I just don't believe you'll see an overall downgrade, regardless of the competition he faces. Play extenders like Ryan rarely have the giddyup in the arm that he has. Roethlisberger is one, of course. There's McNabb, but overall they're relatively rare. And they give secondaries fits.

From what I've seen of Ryan, he's put on a bit of good weight. Looks stronger, but not too much. And Musgrave's not going to let him get too far off the leash. He's a great coach, and he's finally got a student he can teach.

I'm just saying... I wouldn't wager a whole lot of cash betting against him.

-jj

Good stuff, Jason. A lot of times, a "sophomore slump" is indeed about one dimensional QBs getting schemed. Other times it's not so much a slump as reality after a flash-in-the-pan season.

I was trying to think of a great quarterback who had a great rookie year and then sucked his second year and then got great again... and I haven't up with one yet.

It's hard enough to find one that had a good rookie season.

-jj

Good stuff, Jason. A lot of times, a "sophomore slump" is indeed about one dimensional QBs getting schemed. Other times it's not so much a slump as reality after a flash-in-the-pan season.

I was trying to think of a great quarterback who had a great rookie year and then sucked his second year and then got great again... and I haven't up with one yet.

Although, if you discount the idea of "rookie" being a true rookie, you may remember that Drew Brees went through that good year - bad year - good year type of cycle at the beginning of his career. Then he figured it out.

-jj

Good stuff from the both of you.

Personally, I believe the "sophomore slump" for NFL Quarterbacks is a kind of man-made reality of the situation the quarterbacks themselves are placed in, having very little to do with the skills of the QB himself.

Take a guy like Ryan. A high draft pick playing on a shitty team (shitty the year before, obvie). Though he isn't generally thrown into a great situation, his schedule, based on his team's prior year's performance/draft slot, is usually pretty favorable. If he/the team does well, his schedule gets tougher for the following year. This could artificially create a "slump" (in either statistics or wins, or both) but more often than not I'd attribute that slump to the schedule and not to the QB himself.

Sounds like he's becoming Quinnsian in his training and preparation.

Quinnsian? Really now?

Dude, I know you like Quinn and I myself like what Quinn brings to the table. But just because the guy works out, watches video and likes to learn doesn't make him anymore "Quinnsian" ,as you put it, than the next guy. Quinn isn't the first, nor will he the last QB to work hard and show a willingness to learn so the label "Quinnsian" is little off.

In fact, I hope Quinn is a little more "Ryan-esque" with his performance this year.

......if we were older

Then we wouldn't have to wait so long

And wouldn't it be nice to live together

In the kind of world where we belong.

I know it's "NICE", but your title has me humming that Beach Boy song.

Dennis Shaw, 1970 Rookie of the Year (not great, but good year). In 1971 goes out and leads the league with 26 INT's.

Vince Young, maybe?

He sure is incredible. Maybe he'll even be good enough to go to the pro bowl some day.

BTW expect a soph slump from this guy as their opponents are upgraded for this season. No more Detroilets on the sched.

If he does get to the "pro bowl", I hope he does better than DA did. ;)

Archived