THE BROWNS BOARD

Stallworth Suspended

Vegasdogg

From the Commish:

The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable,” Goodell wrote to Stallworth. “While the criminal justice system has determined the legal consequences of this incident, it is my responsibility as NFL Commissioner to determine appropriate league discipline for your actions, which have caused irreparable harm to the victim and his family, your club, your fellow players and the NFL.

The conduct that led to your conviction plainly violates both the Personal Conduct and Substances of Abuse policies. Either provides me with full authority to take appropriate disciplinary action against you, including a fine or suspension without pay, and to impose appropriate conditions on your continued participation in the NFL. In this case, there is ample evidence to warrant significant discipline under both policies.

There is no reasonable dispute that your continued eligibility for participation at this time would undermine the integrity of and public confidence in our league. Accordingly, I have decided to suspend you indefinitely, effective immediately. In due course, we will contact your representatives to schedule a meeting with you, after which I will make a final determination on discipline. Pending my final determination, you will not be permitted to visit the club’s facility or participate in any team activities.

Everyone associated with the league derives tremendous benefits from participating in our game and from the extraordinary support we receive from the public. With these benefits comes, among other things, the responsibility to conduct ourselves in a lawful and responsible way, with no entitlement to or expectation of favorable treatment.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me I'm wrong, but if his suspension is indefinite, Stalworth's accident ruined his pro football career forever. :mellow:

I feel that his civil justice punishment was too lenient and that this is too harsh.... I feel sorry for Stalworth but also... I cant say that he isnt responsible for it. I hope Goodall's "final determination" will give him a bit more leniency.

Correct me I'm wrong, but if his suspension is indefinite, Stalworth's accident ruined his pro football career forever. :mellow:

I feel that his civil justice punishment was too lenient and that this is too harsh.... I feel sorry for Stalworth but also... I cant say that he isnt responsible for it. I hope Goodall's "final determination" will give him a bit more leniency.

Indefinite can mean a LOT of different things. Orlando Brown was suspended indefinitely also, for shoving a ref that blinded him. For now it is the initial response from Goodell, but it is far from the final response. Donte will play football again, but most likely not until most, if not all, of his house arrest is served.

I have no idea, but I can't imagine him being suspended for more than a year.

He's going to feel the repercussions of Tags' leniency towards Little and the resulting outrage even years later. Hell, it basically got swept under the rug at the time but when people find out what happened and the resulting second offense they got MADD.

Okay this is a bit much...Mike Vick defrauded the NFL the US Government and commited a heinous crime against humanity for murdering dogs... and he was suspended indefinitely. Stallworth on the other hand, drove drunk hit and killed a humanbeing who may or may not have been "breaking the law" (jay walking) and using poor judgement (jumping out infront of traffic). Stallworth didn't run from his mistake or try to lie about it, he stayed there took his lumps made things as right as they could possibly be (under the circumstances) and will do his time as handed down by and count of law...(unlike another NFL wide reciever who shall remain nameless and who very likely will be suiting up for an NFL team this season.) Now I am in no way saying Stallworth shouldn't be punished...by all means give him and 4 or 8 game suspension...but while we condemn his crimes let us not for get to commend his handling of the situation...he didn't bitch or whine or cry about it being "not my fault" he maned up and did the right thing. No I am an huge Brown's Fan...but I am not a huge Stallworth fan....until now...in a world full of celebrity athletes who lie cheat and steal their way out of trouble, Stallworth handled it the right way. I am not saying he should be congratulated or rewarded I am saying he shouldn't be crusified. Thank you for reading.

You can start a list of players that were suspended indefinately and were back inside a year or were back playing after the one year. Does the name Pacman ring a bell?

No way Stallworth sits out more then one season.

Hopefully the Browns can recoup some of the bonus money and the suspension won't make it a cap hit. Next year his cap hit will be minimal so it is goodbye to Stallworth. I don't think we will ever see him in a Brown's uniform again.

I think the fact that we drafted two WRs in round two in April's draft and signed two additional vets tells me Stally wasn't in our 2009/future plans anyway.

I bet 2 cases of beer Goodell has drank and drove. Probably done worse.

Hyprocrisy.

Ill raise you a fifth of Crown Royal :D

Most are guilty of it, hell all you have to do is drink 1 and 1/2 glasses of wine or have 2 beers at resteraunt and get behind the wheel and blow .08

Just because you dont feel tipsy dosn't mean your below the limit. Your brain will build up a higher tolerance level the more you drink. ;)

I think the fact that we drafted two WRs in round two in April's draft and signed two additional vets tells me Stally wasn't in our 2009/future plans anyway.

+1

anyone know if his suspension clears his salary on the cap? either way I don't want him anywhere near this team, he was practically worthless last year(albeit that could have been some of crennel's fault), and we have young rookies to develop anyway.

...but I am not a huge Stallworth fan....until now...in a world full of celebrity athletes who lie cheat and steal their way out of trouble, Stallworth handled it the right way. I am not saying he should be congratulated or rewarded I am saying he shouldn't be crusified. Thank you for reading.

What do you mean crucified!? 30 days prison, 2 years home confinement, 8[?] years probation and ordinary people [non - celeb] involved in DUI/manslaughter charges/convictions on average get MUCH more harsh sentences {Like YEARS in prison!!} No, the big $$ did the talking, look at the legal system in Miami Beach court. Stallworth benefitted by swift action [quick public statements of remorse] a family probably eager to non lingering court battles and $$, plus some very questionable behind the scenes activity with the lawyers. To me looks like Donte got a GREAT deal, I hardly feel sorry for him. As a player, I never believed he was worth the money he got, and HOPE the Browns can recoup some of their loss. At the very least, Stallworth has no more paydays! BTW thanks Goodell, Stick it to him!!

I think Goodell got it spot on. The part I liked is the link to the public support of this league and how he needed to respect those riches and conduct himself accordingly. There is no excuse for what he did, man the guy could have a full time chauffeur if he wanted. This decision is the right one. He's just lucky he got 30 days, that was far too soft.

+1

anyone know if his suspension clears his salary on the cap?

When a player is suspended, his prorated signing bonuses still count, but his base salary does not.

My two cents

I applaud the Goodell for this action. And I agree with shep I beleive it was that said he heard it will be years. or the same amount as his home confinement set by the judicial system.

That makes sense to me. Because in my opinion, "home confinement" technically still counts as being in jail, and you wouldn't let a guy play while in jail.

I expect Goodell won't even say it's two years. I predict they say they will revist his supsension when the two year sentance is ending.

For those who think Stallworth should be banned for life for making one stupid mistake, I hope I never get someone like you on a jury of mine.

Actually, the home confinement means he is confined to home EXCEPT when he is working. He is allowed to go to and from his JOB and make a living. And although we like to think of this as 'playing', the NFL is his 'job'.

At any rate, I think a lot of people are making a lot of speculations about the duration, but looking at what has been done in the past for DUI's...and for Domestic Abuse...and other incidents with individuals with MULTIPLE infractions...I would tend to believe that he is out for THIS year...and then will be re-evaluated based on his commitment to the promises he made in the courts leading to this outcome.

Even so, the ramifications for the Browns is simple. He will cost us $7.6M if we cut him now...and $0 if we cut him in 2010 due to the absence of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Therefore, he will most likely be cut the week following the end of the Browns season.

Clearly, this is a topic of controversy. There are going to be people who think he shouldn't be punished and there are some who will believe he deserves a death sentence. But the main importance of this tragic accident is that the primary people impacted by it (his family) are happy with his "sentence".

What do you mean crucified!? 30 days prison, 2 years home confinement, 8[?] years probation and ordinary people [non - celeb] involved in DUI/manslaughter charges/convictions on average get MUCH more harsh sentences {Like YEARS in prison!!}

What I was saying was no that he was crucified by the legal system, but if the legal system and the family have seen fit to give Stallworth the benifit of the doubt and show so leniency. Then who the heck is the commish of the NFL to suspend him "indefinitely"? I am all for the commish flexing his muscles when called for but this is one time when an 8 game suspension is all that is needed. Consider Stallworth's leason learned and walk away.

One time when an 8 game suspension is all that is needed. Consider Stallworth's leason learned and walk away.

Dude your on crack. He killed someone period. This is not this first time in trouble for Stallworth. He is enrolled in the league substance abuse program. This was a correct assessment by the Commish. Playing football is a privilege not a right.

Dude your on crack. He killed someone period. This is not this first time in trouble for Stallworth. He is enrolled in the league substance abuse program. This was a correct assessment by the Commish. Playing football is a privilege not a right.

Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job. So think about it like this, you are working for a company that makes toys...you then get arrested, put on trial and are found guilty of a crime...you go to jail for a month and get a lot of probation...your employer has the right to fire you but he doesn't have the right to prevent you from working for another company that also makes toys. And I don't want to hear that he can work for the AFL or CFL thats like saying I have a degree in business and you want me to work at taco bell...rediculous. Now as far as him killing someone sure he did was it completely his fault heck no it wasn't otherwise they never would've offered him a plea bargin. With Stallworth's money he could've probably gotten off near scott free, but he didn't he took his punishment. Case closed

My take on it:

1) He is paying his debt to the family in a manner "satisfactory" to them. Enough where they did not want to pursue it any further, which by the way was probably about money, but ALSO about the manner in which he took responsibility.

2) The court also had its say and his sentence has been handed down.

3) Goodell will now review this entire manner, and I think he will review it next season. Donte' is gone for 2009, and if he stays out of trouble should be reviewed for reinstatement in 2010.

But even though I was hard on the sentencing - he got off light for felony DUI manslaughter - I think he has handled himself like a man through it all. He owned up to his mistake and never once fought the justice he had coming. To me, these fancy littlie fooking fairies we call professional athletes who get into trouble have never acted like men and took responsibility.

For what it's worth, he stood up and dealt with it openly and honestly.

Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job.

Commissoner of the NFL just came flat out and proved you incorrect. In fact he stated that playing in the league is a priveledge.

And by the way, he does have every right to exclude him from playing in said league. Want to play in the CFL or UFL? Go ahead.

It's not the same? Too fooking bad. Neither is the 15 year old daughter of Mr Reyes.

Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job. So think about it like this, you are working for a company that makes toys...you then get arrested, put on trial and are found guilty of a crime...you go to jail for a month and get a lot of probation...your employer has the right to fire you but he doesn't have the right to prevent you from working for another company that also makes toys. And I don't want to hear that he can work for the AFL or CFL thats like saying I have a degree in business and you want me to work at taco bell...rediculous. Now as far as him killing someone sure he did was it completely his fault heck no it wasn't otherwise they never would've offered him a plea bargin. With Stallworth's money he could've probably gotten off near scott free, but he didn't he took his punishment. Case closed

If he doesn't want to abide by the rules of the NFL, then tough shit. That is what HE signed up for playing for the NFL. If I was working at a toy company and they made me sign an agreement, saying even if I get fired I cannot work for another toy company even if I get fired, then those are the rules. So yes they do have the right to prevent you from working for another company, if you signed that agreement. That agreement is in everyone's NFL contract, HE SIGNED IT. Being a 7 year vet, Stallworth was well aware of those rules before getting behind the wheel of his Bentley. He can't take all the good stuff and leave the bad. Sorry man your wrong.

Archived